Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

9 hours ago, grumpyone said:

cricket? some of those games last 5 DAYS.... how will they fit a mini tournament into the 2 weeks of the Olympics?

Flag Football? I guess they want Brady to get a gold medal too... 

Lacrosse?  are they talking field or arena? totally different animals. 

and again I ask where is Pickleball? 

Probably going to major league cricket rules, states have a new league started last year.  I'd assume it's going to be T20 rules. Similar to the leagues in Australia, England and India. 

• ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, coho8888 said:

Not gonna lie, will probably have some withdrawals now that the games are over.  Despite our auspicious start with the drone scandal, it’s been a great games to watch.  4 years can’t come soon enough.

That's exactly how I feel.

• Like 2

I can say for the LA games...I don't know a damn thing about cricket. Nor do I care about it, but that'll likely change. Do we even have teams here?

I used to really love lacrosse and go to all the Richmond Roadrunners' games. 

I loved the breakdancing, I believe it was a one off though and it won't be back. Sad about that.

Flag football? I thought that was football for kids but I guess it could be quite entertaining.

Highlights for me...

Womens soccer... was awsome to see their durability faced with adversity.

Men's 4x100... in yo face USA.

Breakdancing... that was awesome...turf something else and keep that entertaining gymnastic madness

Hammer... Cause Mid-Island boys are kings.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I can say for the LA games...I don't know a damn thing about cricket. Nor do I care about it, but that'll likely change. Do we even have teams here?

I used to really love lacrosse and go to all the Richmond Roadrunners' games. 

I loved the breakdancing, I believe it was a one off though and it won't be back. Sad about that.

Flag football? I thought that was football for kids but I guess it could be quite entertaining.

I work with some dudes that play cricket on the Island. There is a league.

Lacrosse is awesome. I'm close with a junior player that is off to Alabama Uni this year on a full scholarship. Im so proud of him. 

Breakdancing, like Karate, should be a staple in the games.

F' football ( the type where you carry the ball and wear tight knickerbockers), not enough countries play that sport. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Breakdancing was super cringe. It looked like a rap battle between hoods on the street. Very low brow. I was embarrassed for real sports. 🤒

I'm embarrassed for your take. 😎

You  might be more of a ribbon gymnastics type?

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Highlights for me...

Womens soccer... was awsome to see their durability faced with adversity.

Men's 4x100... in yo face USA.

Breakdancing... that was awesome...turf something else and keep that entertaining gymnastic madness

Hammer... Cause Mid-Island boys are kings.

For me, seeing people that I've seen around town in the Olympics was very cool. 

Even though Dunfee didn't win another medal, I see him "training" around Richmond and he's also just a super nice guy. Knowing that it's everyday people who devote themselves to their craft who make it to the games....not just the pros of their sports who do it for a living, make them awesome..

My daughter was part of a group of prop performers (poi, hoops, dragon staff, fire props, etc.) and is really connected to that community. Seeing Phil win a gold medal was incredible and it's nice that some of these amazingly talented people are getting their moment to shine and show off their talents. 

Really love when they do try new things during the games, broadening the scope and giving more access to participating.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Breakdancing was super cringe. It looked like a rap battle between hoods on the street. Very low brow. I was embarrassed for real sports. 🤒

To each his own I guess.

I loved it.

I mean, the amount of skill and athleticism is off the charts. They make it look easy but it's not. 

The other thing about the breakdancing I like is the sportsmanship and camaraderie...it's refreshing.

These "battles" aren't without a respect for what the opponent puts out there. I loved that.....the nods of approval when someone pulled off something unique/special. Encouraging the opponent as they got started.

Sports can be intense and adrenalin fueled to the point of making them hostile. I think it's nice to see another side where opponents are cheering each other on and inviting them to reach new levels to push one another. The level of respect and humility was really awesome for me.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

The other thing about the breakdancing I like is the sportsmanship and camaraderie...it's refreshing.

These "battles" aren't without a respect for what the opponent puts out there. I loved that.....the nods of approval when someone pulled off something unique/special. Encouraging the opponent as they got started.

Sports can be intense and adrenalin fueled to the point of making them hostile. I think it's nice to see another side where opponents are cheering each other on and inviting them to reach new levels to push one another. The level of respect and humility was really awesome for me.

It's cool that Ariel did that interview.

He is the best MMA journalist out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I know it's the most fun I've ever had whatching a summer Olympics, ever.

Canada is so close to the podium in so many sports.

The question is how we reach the next level  at the summer Olympics. I think we should be striving to get to at least Australias level of medal numbers. I believe we’re capable of that despite not being a “summer country”.

We have the swimmers, we have the track team, we have the team sports. Just need more funding and support for them.

Very excited for LA28, but of course I’ll be looking forwards to Milano26 first! 🇨🇦 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Because he goes to the "Danger Zone". That and he buys more platform heels then any other Hollywood personality. 😅

Or they hire shorter actresses to make him look taller. 

For example the last movie I saw Cruise in Mission Impossible 2, They had Thandiwe Newton as his leading lady. She's only 5'3". 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I know it's the most fun I've ever had whatching a summer Olympics, ever.

Ditto.

Normally, I don't pay that much attention to the Summer Olympics.  But, for whatever reason, this one just drew me in.

From the opening Drone-gate controversy in Women's Soccer to the heroics of the Women's 7s rugby squad,  to Summer McIntosh's dominance in swimming, then it was Hammer-Time in Canada and the Track squad winning and losing by fractions of a second.  And with the highs there had to come lows like the loss in Men's Basketball.  Altogether it was a greatly entertaining roller-coaster ride.   Granted, in a week or two I'll probably have forgotten many of the details of what happened. but during the time it was on it was, as you say, a lot of fun!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I still dont understand why so many like that little dork Tom Cruise.

over hyped hack that can't act

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

19 hours ago, grumpyone said:

cricket? some of those games last 5 DAYS.... how will they fit a mini tournament into the 2 weeks of the Olympics?

Flag Football? I guess they want Brady to get a gold medal too... 

Lacrosse?  are they talking field or arena? totally different animals. 

and again I ask where is Pickleball? 

19 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

-Not all Cricket games are long.

Some are long (test) some are 'short form', a few hours.

- hope its box lacrosse but field would be great too.

- No to any kind of American stlye 'football', not in enough countries.

- and F' Pickle ball too. 

9 hours ago, Iron Fist said:

Probably going to major league cricket rules, states have a new league started last year.  I'd assume it's going to be T20 rules. Similar to the leagues in Australia, England and India. 

The T20 World Cup was co-hosted by the West Indies and the United States.  Canada got a win against Ireland (who finished last in the group).  The US made it out of the group stage and beat Pakistan in their group match.

The matches only take a couple hours.  Some MLB games take longer.  The longer full day or Test cricket matches would probably take way too long for an Olympic competition.  

• ThereItIs 1