Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

3 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The T20 World Cup was co-hosted by the West Indies and the United States.  Canada got a win against Ireland (who finished last in the group).  The US made it out of the group stage and beat Pakistan in their group match.

The matches only take a couple hours.  Some MLB games take longer.  The longer full day or Test cricket matches would probably take way too long for an Olympic competition.  

I mean even Roller hockey would be a good sport to try out. Bring back the VooDoo !

• Cheers 2

First of all, I'm glad that we're in an age that's deeply integrated in social media so every moment can be witnessed and in history.  Situations that viewers might have missed (e.g. the casual Turkiye shooter, the French pole vaulter, Kim Yeji the leaning 10m shooter, even the infamous "Raygun" with her moves which had me in stitches) can be viewed later and possibly even immortalized in meme-ory.

On the flip side, some truly great moments in my books were Summer McIntosh, the truly remarkable gymnastics feats by Biles, the US women's 4*400m runaway win, Steph Curry with the "night-night" quartet of shots to put France to bed, the Aquaman lookalike who did shotput(?) and even Phil Wizard who won possibly the only men's gold medal in breakdancing, ever.  

I hope that in LA they would pick local sports like pickleball, ultimate frisbee and also bring back baseball (it would be insane to watch MLB players from around the world slug it out in the familiar confines of Dodgers and Angels stadium).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Or they hire shorter actresses to make him look taller. 

For example the last movie I saw Cruise in Mission Impossible 2, They had Thandiwe Newton as his leading lady. She's only 5'3". 

Not that 5'3 can't be hotter then hell as well.  😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

First of all, I'm glad that we're in an age that's deeply integrated in social media so every moment can be witnessed and in history.  Situations that viewers might have missed (e.g. the casual Turkiye shooter, the French pole vaulter, Kim Yeji the leaning 10m shooter, even the infamous "Raygun" with her moves which had me in stitches) can be viewed later and possibly even immortalized in meme-ory.

On the flip side, some truly great moments in my books were Summer McIntosh, the truly remarkable gymnastics feats by Biles, the US women's 4*400m runaway win, Steph Curry with the "night-night" quartet of shots to put France to bed, the Aquaman lookalike who did shotput(?) and even Phil Wizard who won possibly the only men's gold medal in breakdancing, ever.  

I hope that in LA they would pick local sports like pickleball, ultimate frisbee and also bring back baseball (it would be insane to watch MLB players from around the world slug it out in the familiar confines of Dodgers and Angels stadium).  

Baseball, softball, cricket, flag football and lacrosse have been added to the olympics in 2028.

Yeesh, just give 'em both the bronze and be done with it! 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/chiles-explainer-1.7292982

edit, just found out that the person who would have gotten bronze with Romania's appeal has a tied score with the 4th/5th place person - so what the heck, give all three a bronze!

Spoiler

906eoc.jpg

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother

• -dlc- unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Amid barbs, Tyreek Hill challenges sprinter Noah Lyles to race

Miami Dolphins wide receiver Tyreek Hill has taken aim at Noah Lyles, challenging the 100-meter Olympic gold medalist to a race on social media Sunday.

The speedy Hill apparently wasn't impressed with Lyles' win in the men's 100-meter final at the Paris Olympics on Aug. 4, and he took exception on the "Up & Adams" podcast Monday to Lyles saying Super Bowl champions were not "world champions" -- a dig the sprinter previously leveled at NBA champions as well.

Hill took to social media Sunday and encouraged Lyles to sign a contract to compete against him in a 50-yard dash.

"Sign the contract and lock in that 50 yard race ..." Hill wrote.

Hill's challenge came on the heels of Lyles calling out the Dolphins wideout on "Nightcap" with Shannon Sharpe and Chad Johnson in an episode that was posted Saturday.

"Tyreek is just chasing clout," Lyles said. "Anytime someone fast comes up, he would try to race them. If he really wanted to race people, he would've showed up like DK Metcalf. And the man raced in the 60 meters this year in the Masters division. The man dodges smoke. I don't got time for that.

"He's challenging me. We're racing in the 100, we can race. If he's truly serious about it. If he's truly serious about it, and I'm not talking about you're just talking on the internet ... you'll see me on the track."

Lyles also trolled Hill during an NBC Sports interview Friday by claiming he didn't know who he was.

Hill said on the "Up & Adams" podcast that he would be able to beat Lyles in a race.

"I'm not going to beat him by a lot, but I would beat Noah Lyles," Hill said.

Hill, who was a two-time state track champion as a high schooler, showed off his track speed in March 2023 by winning the 60-meter sprint at the USA Track and Field Masters Indoor Championships in 6.7 seconds.

• Like 1

I've never heard of the Wanda Diamond League before. 

The Wanda Diamond League is athletics' premier one-day series. The competition encompasses 15 of the sport's most prestigious one-day meetings, with men and women competing in 16 of its primary disciplines. Athletes compete for points at 14 series meetings from April to September, with the most successful in each discipline qualifying for the Wanda Diamond League Final in Brussels (September 13th-14th). 

https://www.diamondleague.com/rules/

The next event is on August 30 in Rome and will be available on CBC Gem.  (Not sure about the times.)

The world's best track and field athletes, including nine Olympic champions, will head to the Italian capital for the 13th round of the 2024 Diamond League on 30 August.

https://olympics.com/en/news/2024-rome-diamond-league-preview-full-schedule-how-to-watch-live

Canadian pole vaulter Alysha Newman clinched a spot in the Diamond League Final.

The Paris Olympic bronze medallist placed second today in Zurich, which is hosting the last tour stop before next week's season-ending Final in Brussels.

Newman cleared 4.82 metres to finish behind Olympic champion Nina Kennedy of Australia and earn her first berth in the Final in five years. On Sept. 14 she'll compete for the Diamond Trophy and the $30,000 US top prize against Kennedy, Paris silver medallist Katie Moon of the United States and the others who qualified via a season-long points system.

Also in Zurich today, Olympic men's pole vault champ Armand "Mondo" Duplantis of Sweden beat 400m hurdles world-record holder Karsten Warholm of Norway in an exhibition 100m match race with a pretty impressive time of 10.37 seconds.

The rest of the Zurich meet takes place Thursday. Highlights include a women's 100m showdown between Paris Olympic gold medallist Julien Alfred of Saint Lucia and reigning world champion Sha’Carri Richardson of the United States; a men's 1,500m battle between Norwegian star Jakob Ingebrigtsen, Olympic gold medallist Cole Hocker of the U.S. and world champ Josh Kerr of Great Britain; and a star-studded men's 200m featuring Olympic champ Letsile Tebogo of Botswana, back-to-back silver medallist Kenny Bednarek of the U.S. and Americans Fred Kerley and Erriyon Knighton. The lone Canadian competing is Charles Philibert-Thiboutot in the men's 3,000m.

Watch the meet live from 2-4 p.m. ET on CBCSports.ca, the CBC Sports app and CBC Gem.