Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

Watching men's beach volleyball and women's rugby. I don't understand rugby (I get most sports).

It's like drunk football with no rules where the refs left and went home.

Tackle, all fight for the ball and rip it away from the person on the ground then....just keep going.

• Haha 1

• -dlc- featured and pinned this topic
3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Watching men's beach volleyball and women's rugby. I don't understand rugby (I get most sports).

Tackle, all fight for the ball and rip it away from the person on the ground then....just keep going.

It does very much seem like a schoolyard game where it’s just complete mayhem.

We might be witnessing crimes being committed but you can’t really tell.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

How OP is Kevin Durant?  Without him and LeBron the US wouldn't be ahead (he's got 21 at half, LeBron's got 12, the other 10 "greats" with single digits).

Edited by Phil_314

Canadian women beat Fiji 17-14 in Rugby Sevens to win their first match.

Then New Zealand crushed China (the other two teams in Canada's group) 43-5.  Have to give credit to the Chinese women for spirit.  They were no match physically for New Zealand but did their best.  I was glad they got one score.  

Canada is going to be in tough against New Zealand later today but should be able to beat China.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

How OP is Kevin Durant?  Without him and LeBron the US wouldn't be ahead (he's got 21 at half, LeBron's got 12, the other 10 "greats" with single digits).

I'm not able to watch, but yesterday there was an article that said both Embiid and AD were sick. Are they playing?

Good news is the Canadian women control their own destiny now.

Bad news is they need to beat France and Colombia to do it.

They would own the tie breaker in that scenario though. 

Edited by DeNiro

Okay, so I already disliked Joker, but he just can't help himself.....:picard:

Some of you may have seen what happened a Wimbledon, when he played on Center Court against Holger Rune. Thanks to Joker being such an asshat, most of the crowd was cheering for the Dane....whenever he won a big point, the chants of "Ruuuuuuune!" filled the stadium. After winning the match, Joker got on the mic and accused the fans of booing him, basically saying the were using the "Ruuuune" chant as a way of booing him....(sneaky lot, those Brits)

So now we get to Joker's opening match against Australian Matthew Ebden. Ebden is a doubles player normally and rarely plays singles competitively. Predictably, the match was a 6-0, 6-1 rout. So...did Djokovic take the W and be glad he was able to end the match so quickly? Of course not.

“I don’t think it’s a good image for the sport, to be honest,” he said about having a doubles player enter singles at the Olympics. “There were a lot of singles players that have plenty of time, that were alternates, that could have been called to come. This part I don’t get.”

https://www.lmtonline.com/sports/article/djokovic-wants-an-olympics-rule-change-after-19601094.php

Now, he might have a point, but why air this grievance publicly, when he could have made his case through proper channels and avoided it becoming an international story? Now, all he's done is reinforce his image of an entitled asshole and embarrassed Ebden in the process.....:classic_dry:

Lets go Rafa! :towel:

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, Goose said:

Dont have a ton of time atm but Id love to check out some of the boxing

Looks like the spectre of Olympic boxing judging corruption/ineptitude has (once again) reared it's ugly head:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/boxing/team-gb-boxer-left-in-tears-as-fans-boo-controversial-defeat-at-paris-olympics/ar-BB1qM3I1?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=265fb16408f74a098dff0a83322aaa6d&ei=10

Team GB boxer Rosie Eccles was left in tears after her hugely controversial defeat at the Paris Olympics, a decision that was booed by fans in attendance.

Eccles, who won gold for Wales at the Commonwealth Games in 2022, thought she had done enough in her opening round match against Poland’s Aneta Rygielska in the 66kg category.

The Briton appeared to be firmly in control of the fight with her opponent also deducted a point in the final round.

‘I knew I’d won the fight. I’m really, really shocked,’ a tearful Eccles said after the bout.

‘In my mind I won that fight. I don’t know what to say other than I am really grateful for everyone that helped me get here. I appreciate you all and I’m sorry I couldn’t get it over the line.

‘I knew she was a tricky opponent, but I felt I did the job. I stayed disciplined and kept to my game and I thought I had done enough.

‘I’ve devoted my whole life for an Olympic medal but unfortunately for me, and Charley as well yesterday, it wasn’t to be.’

BBC boxing pundit Steve Bunce was among those stunned by the decision. ‘I’m genuinely shocked, I really did think she’d [Rosie Eccles] get it. That was a brutal outcome’ Bunce said.

We’ve got independent judges here. They went with the one who got deducted a point and she actually fouled. The two judges who had it even voted for the woman who had an infringement. I’m really annoyed. It’s a bad decision.’

Eccles became the second British fighter to suffer an early elimination after Charley Davison fell to defeat against Hatice Akbas.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well looks like Canada is gonna have to run the table to have a chance (likely had to anyways)

I think taking 6 points out is simply unfair to our players. They've done nothing wrong. Now, to get any chance to advance , Canada has to win all 3 games in the group. FIFA just trying to  make it easier for France.

I just hope that our ladies will be super motivated today against France. Go Canada!

21 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Okay, so I already disliked Joker, but he just can't help himself.....:picard:

Some of you may have seen what happened a Wimbledon, when he played on Center Court against Holger Rune. Thanks to Joker being such an asshat, most of the crowd was cheering for the Dane....whenever he won a big point, the chants of "Ruuuuuuune!" filled the stadium. After winning the match, Joker got on the mic and accused the fans of booing him, basically saying the were using the "Ruuuune" chant as a way of booing him....(sneaky lot, those Brits)

So now we get to Joker's opening match against Australian Matthew Ebden. Ebden is a doubles player normally and rarely plays singles competitively. Predictably, the match was a 6-0, 6-1 rout. So...did Djokovic take the W and be glad he was able to end the match so quickly? Of course not.

https://www.lmtonline.com/sports/article/djokovic-wants-an-olympics-rule-change-after-19601094.php

Now, he might have a point, but why air this grievance publicly, when he could have made his case through proper channels and avoided it becoming an international story? Now, all he's done is reinforce his image of an entitled asshole and embarrassed Ebden in the process.....:classic_dry:

Lets go Rafa! :towel:

When I started reading this I thought you were talking about Nikola Jokic who is also nicknamed the Joker lol

So far I have watched the childrens olympics with skateboarding and the horse olympics, the beautiful animals are jumping over things with people on their backs.

Do they do any grown up human events?

• Haha 2

On 7/27/2024 at 1:11 PM, Gurn said:

I saw part of the Dubbin inquiry, and the bit that really stick in my mind is when Ben said:

"I turned my back, dropped my pants, and the doctor injected me with a milky white substance"

My ribs hurt for weeks, from laughter- and I'm getting a chuckle out of  that-right now--35 years later.

When they revealed that Carl lewis had failed 3 usa drug tests but they covered it up they should have given ben back the gold medal. They were all juiced, he was just the fastest on it.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

It's football without forward passing, pads, helmets. It's actually better than football because there isn't tons of stoppages in play.

Or as Robbie Coltrane said. "Football is Rugby with no flow..."

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

So far I have watched the childrens olympics with skateboarding and the horse olympics, the beautiful animals are jumping over things with people on their backs.

Do they do any grown up human events?

I would really like to see a jumping competition, with no riders.

Lead the horses around the course a couple of times, then let them go at it.

combination of memory and physical skills.

Probably set the bars a little higher, and make the water pit a bit wider, as well.

• ThereItIs 1

Equestrian sports are as much as the working of horse and rider. The animals are beautiful, graceful, powerful. It is kind of a holdover from Cavalry training.

You don't want the course to be so difficult that it injures the horse. After all when a horse breaks it's leg(s) it's usually bye-bye horse.

There's more involved that say a driver in NASCAR.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Canadian women beat Fiji 17-14 in Rugby Sevens to win their first match.

Then New Zealand crushed China (the other two teams in Canada's group) 43-5.  Have to give credit to the Chinese women for spirit.  They were no match physically for New Zealand but did their best.  I was glad they got one score.  

Canada is going to be in tough against New Zealand later today but should be able to beat China.  

I remember watching the World Cup with Canada vs. New Zealand in 2011. (My niece got to watch it live!) Canada actually was in it for the first half. And I couldn't believe it.

I don't know if the coach ripped into the Kiwi's at the half break. But they destroyed Canada by the end of the game 79-15