Jacob Truscott | D

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

He's pretty far down our depth chart for LHD. We've also got Hughes and Soucy locked up for some time and likely one of Cole/Zadorov re-signing. I'd probably have these guys ahead of Truscott:

Wolanin

D-Petey

Kirill (can't spell his last name)

He's about tied with Mynio. I think he's likely a better prospect than Hirose. I understand he is a defensive D man but his points have been stagnant the last few years in the NCAA and +/- has gone down as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AK-19 said:

He's pretty far down our depth chart for LHD. We've also got Hughes and Soucy locked up for some time and likely one of Cole/Zadorov re-signing. I'd probably have these guys ahead of Truscott:

Wolanin

D-Petey

He's about tied with Mynio. I think he's likely a better prospect than Hirose. I understand he is a defensive D man but his points have been stagnant the last few years in the NCAA and +/- has gone down as well. 

Unfortunate as he looked like he could become a Tanev Lite...can always use a solid defensive dman...but no big loss as you imply

Quinn is going nowhere, he will have all the money in the world thrown at him when he's eligible to re-sign. NJ is not going to have cap space for him so, not too worried.

Soucy is here for a while and we have a number of young dmen who are probably better (DPetey for sure)...so...depth is good but I can undestand his concern, he's probably turning 23 or so, and wants his quickest path to the NHL, not the AHL, and he's not even guaranteed to be a NHL player.

Onwards and upwards.

I actually think that this kid is going to have a pretty good NHL career, probably as a bottom pairing, shutdown guy. Someone will pick him up, but we have a LOT of prospect depth on LD. If he was a RD, we'd probably make an effort to sign him.

2 hours ago, AK-19 said:

Wolanin

D-Petey

I don't think hes even better than Hirose. Hirose has played up here last season and didnt look too bad. Truscott hasn't done enough to warrant him being signed

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I actually think that this kid is going to have a pretty good NHL career, probably as a bottom pairing, shutdown guy. Someone will pick him up, but we have a LOT of prospect depth on LD. If he was a RD, we'd probably make an effort to sign him.

Right, just like how Jack Rathbone was suppose to be top pairing with Hughes right? Then again, not really surprised with your unwaivering support for a below Mid prospect since youre such a fan of the management team that drafted him LOL.

I doubt he gets picked up on waivers. Truscott was a late round pick that didn't have much of a pedigree to being with

Edited by filthy animal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I guess we can use him now as a trade throw in. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Rick Dhaliwal on sportnets 650 Halford and Brough show stated he was told today that Jacob Truscott will become a UFA August 15 and will not sign his ELC in Vancouver. 

Abbotsford Dcore is crowded now and will be next season on the left side with Wolanin, Hirose, and DPetey all under contract. Doesnt even include RFA Nick Cicek if re-signed (who has had a strong season), Kirill Kudryavtsev (has turned 20 and could turn pro) and the questionable health of Guillaume Brisebois. 

Makes sense he wants an opportunity elsewhere. Its too bad considering this club stuck through his development. I wonder if he gets used in a trade like San Jose did with Henry Thrun. 

the segment if you are interested....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/rick-dhaliwal-with-a-canucks-update-what-we-learned-6/

Starts at 16:05

No big loss. Truscott's down the pecking order and comes from previous regime. Alvin/Rutherford im sure would rather have his spot taken by guy that they want via college, europe free agency, or a late round pick of their own.

5 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

No big loss. Truscott's down the pecking order and comes from previous regime. Alvin/Rutherford im sure would rather have his spot taken by guy that they want via college, europe free agency, or a late round pick of their own.

Not really how Vancouver see's it, they really wanted to developing him and see him as an NHLer. This as a late round pick would have been the kind of players the team needs to find success with. Its a loss no doubt about it.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

Right, just like how Jack Rathbone was suppose to be top pairing with Hughes right? Then again, not really surprised with your unwaivering support for a below Mid prospect since youre such a fan of the management team that drafted him LOL.

I doubt he gets picked up on waivers. Truscott was a late round pick that didn't have much of a pedigree to being with

So, you can try and pick a fight on this if you want. Truscott was the go to guy for the US team in the World Juniors. When they needed to shut down the other teams offense, Truscott was the guy on the ice. Now, that's a Junior tournament and it shows potential, but nothing more. Most fans make the mistake of thinking that just because someone is a higher draft pick, there is very little you can to do control how the develop or injuries that happen after the draft that affect their upward trajectory (Juolevi).

I tend to always question how well a player will adapt to the NHL, there is a big difference from being effective in any other league around the world and being effective in the NHL. Completely different pace and physicality. I also don't measure all players effectiveness based only on point production. No matter how good your offense is, you have to be able to keep the puck out of your net as well. If I look at Zadorov, I couldn't care less if he never scores as long as he is highly effective at clearing the front of our net, boxing guys out and making them pay a price for being in our end of the ice in the first place.

Past management team, Benning made mistakes, all GM's make mistakes and have a contract or two that they would love to undo. It's the nature of the game and the sport. Benning was far from the best GM we've ever had, he wasn't the worst though either. I think ownership made a big mistake when they gave Benning too much lead by not replacing Linden with someone else in the Presidents chair. Everyone needs checks and balances and needs to be questioned about decisions they are making.

Circling back to Truscott, I think he has the pedigree to be a 5/6 shutdown guy in the NHL, but he's still playing college and who really knows for sure until he tries to make the jump to the NHL. Time will tell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Too small to be a bottom pairing shutdown player in the NHL, best of luck to him elsewhere there is not really a path for him to the NHL on the Canucks.

3 hours ago, filthy animal said:

I see him as more of a Guillaume Brisebois type.  A responsible, albeit completely ordinary defenceman who may or may not get to play NHL games.

On 2/16/2024 at 6:11 PM, Miss Korea said:

I see him as more of a Guillaume Brisebois type.  A responsible, albeit completely ordinary defenceman who may or may not get to play NHL games.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the team to rush in front of the line to sign him. "Just a guy" doesnt cut it. 

On 2/17/2024 at 7:10 PM, filthy animal said:

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the team to rush in front of the line to sign him. "Just a guy" doesnt cut it. 

Does he give a 6th round pick the value of a 5th? I’m not very good with figuring out guys like truscotts value, def should capitalize using his value well we got it tho even if it’s super minimal 

5 hours ago, Captain insano said:

Does he give a 6th round pick the value of a 5th? I’m not very good with figuring out guys like truscotts value, def should capitalize using his value well we got it tho even if it’s super minimal 

very minimal. I doubt he's even worth future considerations. No one is gonna give out assets to a C level prospect that can choose any team to sign with in August, assuming of course theres even interest in Truscotts services

Edited by filthy animal

• 5 months later...
On 7/20/2024 at 1:56 AM, Viking said:

Any chance we could trade this prospects right with Poolman contract to a bottom feeder like Anaheim as long as truscott is willing to sign with the ducks?

My thoughts at 1:55am...

Probably not.