Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM and Executive VP

14 minutes ago, Reg said:

Bowman, that's how the Oilers spell character.

I've always wondered what his Dad thought of all this. His Dad seemed to be a genius but a bastard behind the bench, but was fine off the ice and as a manager.

I wonder if he's disappointed in his son.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I've always wondered what his Dad thought of all this. His Dad seemed to be a genius but a bastard behind the bench, but was fine off the ice and as a manager.

I wonder if he's disappointed in his son.

Fathers tend to forgive, unfortunately those who have been abused can never forget.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's so funny how SN has blocked any comment on this. 

Lol, unreal. The NHL and its pom pom supporters with their biases and slanted agenda. Tough to block it out sometimes. The absolute love of the game keeps me around. Complete BS

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's awful

I actually feel bad for Oil fans, every Oil fan I've seen mention Bowman over the last month or two has said they want nothing to do with him 

There are a couple on this forum, why not ask them! 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's awful

I actually feel bad for Oil fans, every Oil fan I've seen mention Bowman over the last month or two has said they want nothing to do with him 

Maybe Bowman will get Babcock'd Columbus style....

I challenge any non NHL fan to make sense of that above sentence 😆

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

• Jess changed the title to Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM and Executive VP
1 minute ago, DSVII said:

Disgusting.

And speaking strictly from a hockey executive standpoint, Bowman is as good as Chiarelli. Inherited a cup winning core and went on to screw it all up.

that would be fitting. 

I'm desperate for a SN alternative. I'd be OK with paying NHL network if I can use a VPN to get around blackouts. Otherwise I'm going to have to go to the dark side, I refuse to give SN any more of my money. 

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

There are a couple on this forum, why not ask them! 

Eh, I'm all for poking fun but nah

The response to this move has generally been negative, from Oil fans and others 

And from a hockey standpoint that makes sense, Bowman made some really shit moves later on in his tenure

Panarin for Saad, giving up Teravainen to dump Bickell, Boqvist, the 12OA (Sillinger), a 2nd, and a 2022 1st for Seth Jones and Tampa's 32OA.. 

Oil brought in a PR disaster for a guy who probably doesn't really improve on what's already been done before he got there 

https://committedindians.com/stan-bowman-history-as-chicago-blackhawks-gm/

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 4

This will never happen, but I hope to see the fans boycott Oilers games:

Oilers Home Games: no home fans attend the games in-person until Bowman is fired.

Oilers Road Games: Any game featuring the Oilers as an opponent on the road, it should also be empty seats only.

Do not stream any Oilers games on Sportsnet+ or any other streaming platform.

Hit them in the cash pocket and Bowman will be fired within a month.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zombieksa said:

Not going to lie, it would be hilarious if this hiring caused the leaving of some of their star players.

Let's face it, their star players aren't the type of people that speaks up against moral/ethnic issues.

Remember, back in the Bubble, it was the Canucks that initiated the conversation to postpone/reschedule the games.

I am not saying this because I am a bias Canucks fans, but our core players are much better leaders for moral/ethic causes and just better people in the community.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Disgusting.

And speaking strictly from a hockey executive standpoint, Bowman is as good as Chiarelli. Inherited a cup winning core and went on to screw it all up.

Ummm, Bowman replaced Dale Tallon as Chicago GM in 2009.  Chicago won 3 cups afterwards in 2010, 2013 and 2015...

Everyone seems to be blaming Edmonton.  But the person who is directly responsible for this is Gary Bettman.  He is the one who allowed Bowman and Quenneville to be hired again.  If the NHL simply kept both of them suspended indefinitely then we wouldn't be having this issue.

• Like 3