Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM and Executive VP

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Because he should have been banned for life and thrown in prison for this.  The Oilers just hired a GM who shouldn't be allowed near the player's children.

Blame Beach for Bowman being reinstated, then. 

Like I said, there’s no way Bettman would have allowed him back in the league, without talking to Beach first and giving his approval.

Just now, shiznak said:

Like I said, there’s no way Bettman would have allowed him back in the league, without talking to Beach first and giving his approval.

Nah, I'll blame the dirtbags who actually made the decision to reinstate and hire this worthless piece of shit.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Incredibly bold assumption of you. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Not an assumption.

Beach gave his approval to the Oilers in hiring Bowman. Put the two and two together.

While it's true that Bowman and Jackson called Beach I believe your original assertion was that Bettman did.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Not an assumption.

Beach gave his approval to the Oilers in hiring Bowman. Put the two and two together.

That doesn't explicitly state that Bettman reached out. He doesn't have enough morals and integrity to even consider doing that. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They won 3 cups.  If Vancouver won 3 cups I wouldn't even be posting on this site anymore.  I could die in peace and serenity!!!

I don't believe this at all, I think you'd miss the shenanigans 

• Huggy Bear 1

24 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

I'm creeping the oilers subreddit and I'd say 90% or more of their fan base is pissed.

This seems a lot like the Babcock and Columbus thing last year.

I don't think this hire will last 

I do think there's going to be pushback from the fanbase, it'll be interesting to see what that looks like

But I've also read several Oilers fans talk about how ownership and management don't really care about them 

Just now, Coconuts said:

I do think there's going to be pushback from the fanbase, it'll be interesting to see what that looks like

But I've also read several Oilers fans talk about how ownership and management don't really care about them 

What would really do something is if sponsors realize that being associated with that disgusting organization is damaging their brand.

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

While it's true that Bowman and Jackson called Beach I believe your original assertion was that Bettman did.

1 minute ago, Pears said:

That doesn't explicitly state that Bettman reached out. He doesn't have enough morals and integrity to even consider doing that. 

Do you guys honestly think Bettman will allow him back in the league, without consulting with the victim first? Especially after apologizing to Beach after the sexual assault allegations? That’s just bad PR move from the league.

6 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Not an assumption.

It shouldn't even be up to Kyle Beach.. The NHL Office should grow a fucking backbone and just outright banned the fuckers involved.. but they simply don't care. It's all so inconsistent too.. Different set of rules for different people it seems.. The NHL still won't let a team sign that Mitchell Miller dude to an entry level deal, they've completely blacklisted that guy yet a 'Low-key predator' like Logan Mailloux from Montreal got to make his NHL debut last season no problem! 

• Cheers 2

Just now, King Heffy said:

What would really do something is if sponsors realize that being associated with that disgusting organization is damaging their brand.

Agreed 

I really do feel bad for Oil fans though, it's quite clear they didn't want Bowman

I hate the Oilers, them and the Leafs are my least favourite teams, but as much as I'm willing to dunk on the Oilers this move reflects on Oilers management and the NHL brass, Oil fans didn't deserve this circus 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed 

I really do feel bad for Oil fans though, it's quite clear they didn't want Bowman

I hate the Oilers, them and the Leafs are my least favourite teams, but as much as I'm willing to dunk on the Oilers this move reflects on Oilers management and the NHL brass, Oil fans didn't deserve this circus 

That being said, if they still cheer for this disgraceful organization after the hiring of this predator, they deserve everything they get.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

Do you guys honestly think Bettman will allow him back in the league, without consulting with the victim first? Especially after apologizing to Beach after the sexual assault allegations? That’s just bad PR move from the league.

I just honestly think that none of us know for sure and should not emphatically say that we do.

Personally, I think Bettman would consult with a team of lawyers before he'd talk to Beach but that's just my opinion and I won't try to state it as fact.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

That being said, if they still cheer for this disgraceful organization after the hiring of this predator, they deserve everything they get.

There's a good chance this move actually costs them fans, fan engagement, and some dollars tbh 

I've been reading through the reception by Oil fans this morning and I've definitively seen fans speak about stepping back from the Oil and changing how they engage with the franchise

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Is that why he reinstated Bowman, Quennville and MacIsaac in the middle of the opening day of free agency because he knew doing it then wouldn't get nearly as much attention as it would have on any other day?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

There's a good chance this move actually costs them fans, fan engagement, and some dollars tbh 

I've been reading through the reception by Oil fans this morning and I've definitively seen fans speak about stepping back from the Oil and changing how they engage with the franchise

The ones who choose to do so, no problem.  The ones who still choose to support the Oilers even after this should be held accountable as the dirtbags that they are.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yep. I'm on record saying that if any of my teams pulled anything like this I'd drop them in a heartbeat. Some people just don't understand that morals > winning.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, Gary runs the NHL.  Seems like the NHL is okay with people covering up sexual assaults still being employed in the NHL.  

Thats exactly what the 32 NHL billionaire owners that run the league want people to believe,  Gary doesn't do anything unless they allow him to do it.  He's been the perfect lackey for them his entire career.  When Bowman/Quennville were reinstated,  it was because the BOG allowed it - if the owners didn'twant that it never would've happened.  No Billionaire is giving control over their organization to a puppet like Bettman,  but they'll gladly let Gary take the heat for any bad press that arises and for the kind of money they've been paying him, I'm sure Gary is ready,  willing,  and able to play the villain.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Why?

Apparently, Beach gave the Oilers full support in hiring Bowman.

Bowman gave Beach a 15 minute call letting him know he was getting the job. And that it was a "productive conversation." Knowing bowman had the league already behind him.

A small distinction. But I'd be more inclined to view it as a productive conversation had he called him before accepting the role.

Otherwise it's just performative theater. "Hey Kyle just FYI this is happening so water under the bridge right?"

Edited by DSVII

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Thats exactly what the 32 NHL billionaire owners that run the league want people to believe,  Gary doesn't do anything unless they allow him to do it.  He's been the perfect lackey for them his entire career.  When Bowman/Quennville were reinstated,  it was because the BOG allowed it - if the owners didn'twant that it never would've happened.  No Billionaire is giving control over their organization to a puppet like Bettman,  but they'll gladly let Gary take the heat for any bad press that arises and for the kind of money they've been paying him, I'm sure Gary is ready,  willing,  and able to play the villain.

I stopped blaming Bettman. As soon as you do that he fails at his job. This is on the owner and president of the Oilers.