Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM and Executive VP

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm, Bowman replaced Dale Tallon as Chicago GM in 2009.  Chicago won 3 cups afterwards in 2010, 2013 and 2015...

Yes via the inherited core, how have they been since 2017 again?  Oh and a Sexual Abuse cover up too. fantastic work. 

• Cheers 3

This is just more Oiler skullduggery as far as I'm concerned.  That's why I was surprised by what I read in the Athletic this morning.  I share it out of surprise and can make no comment on the sincerity of Bowman's reported atonement. 

Sheldon Kennedy’s endorsement

Bowman received a significant endorsement earlier this month from Sheldon Kennedy, whose Respect Group works within and outside the NHL to make hockey a more inclusive and safe environment by attempting to identify and root out bullying, abuse, harassment and discrimination. Kennedy said that Bowman, Joel Quenneville and Al MacIsaac reached out to him after their suspensions, but only Bowman received such a lengthy, detailed endorsement.

“I was immediately struck by Stan’s genuine care and concern for Kyle, and what could have been done differently,” Kennedy wrote. “During that period, we spoke almost daily about the seriousness of sexual abuse from the victim’s perspective. We didn’t talk about hockey at all. We focused on what went wrong, what he could have done differently and, most importantly, what could be done to prevent this from happening again.”

Kennedy wrote that seeing people “accept the truth” and “demonstrate a willingness to change” is what gives him hope in his line of work.

“Stan exemplifies this to me,” he wrote, adding that Bowman’s “desire to acknowledge his mistakes and make amends with Kyle was sincere.”

Upon Kennedy’s invitation, Bowman worked “nearly full-time hours” in building and running a workshop for three Western Hockey League teams, using his own failure in the Aldrich case as an example. In the wake of the Jenner & Block report that immediately led to his ouster in Chicago, Bowman largely laid the blame at then-president John McDonough’s feet. Kennedy’s letter suggested that Bowman now takes more ownership of his role in the organizational failure.

“Stan spoke about how he personally should have been relentless in following up on every conversation and accusation, rather than trusting others to do so,” Kennedy wrote.

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm, Bowman replaced Dale Tallon as Chicago GM in 2009.  Chicago won 3 cups afterwards in 2010, 2013 and 2015...

Toews, Kane, Sharp, Byfuglien, Keith, Seabrook, Ladd, Versteeg and Hjalmarsson were already there in 2008

Edit: I get what you mean Petey, but once the core ran it's course and the GM's role involved more than just being baseline competent, he sent Chicago to the shitter.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

This is just more Oiler skullduggery as far as I'm concerned.  That's why I was surprised by what I read in the Athletic this morning.  I share it out of surprise and can make no comment on the sincerity of Bowman's reported atonement. 

Sheldon Kennedy’s endorsement

Bowman received a significant endorsement earlier this month from Sheldon Kennedy, whose Respect Group works within and outside the NHL to make hockey a more inclusive and safe environment by attempting to identify and root out bullying, abuse, harassment and discrimination. Kennedy said that Bowman, Joel Quenneville and Al MacIsaac reached out to him after their suspensions, but only Bowman received such a lengthy, detailed endorsement.

“I was immediately struck by Stan’s genuine care and concern for Kyle, and what could have been done differently,” Kennedy wrote. “During that period, we spoke almost daily about the seriousness of sexual abuse from the victim’s perspective. We didn’t talk about hockey at all. We focused on what went wrong, what he could have done differently and, most importantly, what could be done to prevent this from happening again.”

Kennedy wrote that seeing people “accept the truth” and “demonstrate a willingness to change” is what gives him hope in his line of work.

“Stan exemplifies this to me,” he wrote, adding that Bowman’s “desire to acknowledge his mistakes and make amends with Kyle was sincere.”

Upon Kennedy’s invitation, Bowman worked “nearly full-time hours” in building and running a workshop for three Western Hockey League teams, using his own failure in the Aldrich case as an example. In the wake of the Jenner & Block report that immediately led to his ouster in Chicago, Bowman largely laid the blame at then-president John McDonough’s feet. Kennedy’s letter suggested that Bowman now takes more ownership of his role in the organizational failure.

“Stan spoke about how he personally should have been relentless in following up on every conversation and accusation, rather than trusting others to do so,” Kennedy wrote.

Hm. If I see evidence of change, then I'll believe it. Let's see some action and evidence.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Everyone seems to be blaming Edmonton.  But the person who is directly responsible for this is Gary Bettman.  He is the one who allowed Bowman and Quenneville to be hired again.  If the NHL simply kept both of them suspended indefinitely then we wouldn't be having this issue.

I don’t think the NHL would have reinstated both men if Beach was not okay with it.

Today at the press conference, Jeff Jackson even said he talked to Beach prior to the hire and he gave him his full support.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

There are a couple on this forum, why not ask them! 

I called out Dumb Nuck in the other thread and he at least stated that he'd have a big problem with this child molester lover getting hired.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yes via the inherited core, how have they been since 2017 again?  Oh and a Sexual Abuse cover up too. fantastic work. 

They won 3 cups.  If Vancouver won 3 cups I wouldn't even be posting on this site anymore.  I could die in peace and serenity!!!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They won 3 cups.  If Vancouver won 3 cups I wouldn't even be posting on this site anymore.  I could die in peace and serenity!!!

If we won 1 cup I'd be fine signing Mikheyev to a Mcdavid contract and watch Jack Campbell let in beach balls from centre ice.

Edited by DSVII
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Covering up Sexual Abuse is not an acceptable trade for 3 Cups ever. Ridiculous this even has to be explained. 

Bowman is lucky he's not in prison where he belongs.  That was criminal negligence.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Covering up Sexual Abuse is not an acceptable trade for 3 Cups ever. Ridiculous this even has to be explained. 

Except that wasn't what I was replying to.  I was replying to how Bowman threw away the core and didn't do anything with it, which is false.  He won 3 cups...

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Everyone seems to be blaming Edmonton.  But the person who is directly responsible for this is Gary Bettman.  He is the one who allowed Bowman and Quenneville to be hired again.  If the NHL simply kept both of them suspended indefinitely then we wouldn't be having this issue.

Really? It's Gary? Does Gary run Edmonton?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

26 minutes ago, Jess said:

Hm. If I see evidence of change, then I'll believe it. Let's see some action and evidence.

I find this funny, that someone would have to learn that it's not ok to cover up abuse. 

That's how pathetic the effort to justify this is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I think it's clear that Katz believes Bowman can put the team over the top and he really doesn't GAF about how it looks. Evander Kane and Corey Perry are good examples of a team that puts character after competitiveness. (at least as they see a competitive lineup)

Ghosts already alluded to it, but even though Bowman's dad is widely considered the greatest coach in NHL history, he was absolutely loathed by many of his players. Not quite Eddie Shore territory, but not far off from it either....

• Cheers 1

Just now, shiznak said:

Why?

Apparently, Beach gave the Oilers full support in hiring Bowman.

Because he should have been banned for life and thrown in prison for this.  The Oilers just hired a GM who shouldn't be allowed near the player's children.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, Gary runs the NHL.  Seems like the NHL is okay with people covering up sexual assaults still being employed in the NHL.  

The Browns of the NHL. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seems like the NHL is okay with people covering up sexual assaults still being employed in the NHL.  

it does. But it doesn't let Katz or his CEO off the hook. It's like saying it's OK for stealing, someone else broke the store window first.