Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM and Executive VP

I love how the media in Edm is praising him for the self improvement steps he has taken...working closely with Sheldon Kennedy to improve awareness and prevention among youth. Good God! The guy is basically following what he was told he HAD to do by his career/personal advisors if he ever wanted to suck on the NHL teets again! Now, back to making millions of dollars a year after a 2 year holiday pretending to care in his spare time not spent on vacation.

The league had the opportunity to take a stand here and prove they were committed to changing the culture. A life time ban on Bowman, Quenville, and the rest of the rotten management in Chicago would have been fitting. Let them dredge out a career in ECHL or overseas. Instead, these guys got a 2 year vacation, while I am sure working as consultants along the way. Complete joke!

• Cheers 1

What Stan Bowman did and didn’t do is documented. And I’m sure he learned his lesson. Does it make it right? Should he be back - probably not.

I’m sure the organization looked at the pros (I cant see them) and cons from all angles before moving forward with this. Still it’s unfathomable they didn’t see the storm coming. This will hurt them for a good 10-15 years even if they cut ties with Bowman today.

Players will wanna play in the league and many will take Edmonton if they get a good deal and have no other option, but many of them will pass on them due to this. How on earth was this good for business? Right or wrong, it absolutely can not have been the best option from a business standpoint. Fanbase, media, merchandise, tickets… oh my!

I’m no Oilers fan, never have been, nor am I a big fan of either McDavid or Draisaitl. But do they, or the many others on the team want to sign and stay there and be surrounded by the negativity revolving over there. Even if everything was explained and forgiven etc. I wouldn’t. 

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Mike Keenan will be in charge of the new Buddhist temple in the Oilers arena.  Tortorella will be in charge of the anger management department.

Bill Cosby to deliver motivational speeches.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Are you the Leader of the Naive Club?

Making assumptions that Bettman announced the reinstatement of Quennville and Bowman, on FA day. Just to lessen the heat on him, how ironic. 

8 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Making assumptions that Bettman announced the reinstatement of Quennville and Bowman, on FA day. Just to lessen the heat on him, how ironic. 

Knee padding for Gary Bettman is certainly an interesting hill to die on. 

13 minutes ago, shiznak said:

The date makes these assumptions believable. No tin hat required.   You just need to be observant and aware that politicians do this kind of thing all the time - they wait until 4:pm Friday afternoon to release news they would rather not have people discuss.  A holiday weekend is best.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

The date makes these assumptions believable. No tin hat required.   You just need to be observant and aware that politicians do this kind of thing all the time - they wait until 4:pm Friday afternoon to release news they would rather not have people discuss.  A holiday weekend is best.

It's especially believable given Bettman's long history of misconduct and corruption.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Zombieksa said:

Not going to lie, it would be hilarious if this hiring caused the leaving of some of their star players.

You're suggestion their players have a semblance of character is a false notion.

• Haha 1

I don't know how to do it, but we need a over/under by month as to when he makes the first big trade... eg; Drai out for picks/prospects

4 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

There's nothing to educate. It's not possible for that little dude to have over powered Kyle. He must have let him.

Doesn't have to overpower him, there are other tools predators use to manipulate their victims.

EDIT: Just read your last line, you're a disgusting person and in all honesty this is probably the nicest thing you'll hear, some members are not as polite as I am.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

What's the problem? A big strong pro athlete with known mental health issues accuses a near midget of overpowering and raping him during a cup run. Of course the brass are going to be like "Ok there buddy, we'll look into this after the season..."

Disgusting comment. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, madrigal77 said:

What's wrong with you? Have you seen the dude that was accused? If Kyle didn't want it, he could have picked him up and tossed him like a couch cushion. He's that small.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/11/actor-terry-crews-sexually-assaulted-by-hollywood-executive

Terry Crews explains it better than I can.

2 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

What's wrong with you? Have you seen the dude that was accused? If Kyle didn't want it, he could have picked him up and tossed him like a couch cushion. He's that small.

It's called holding a position of power. Pretty common fucking knowledge buddy.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Satchmo said:

I share it out of surprise and can make no comment on the sincerity of Bowman's reported atonement

A true sign of atonement would be taking a position with a non-profit society educating white privilege males in positions of authority on abuse of power and renouncing publicly your own failure not to abuse said power. 

If he did that I'd still hate the individual,  but at least I could accept that he was trying to right his wrong.   Right now he just looks like yet another privileged member of the old-boys-club receiving another opportunity to selfishly pursue his own interests. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

Power is not limited to physical abilities. If you can't understand that I see no reason to move the conversation forward. 

Yup.  My boss is a 5'3 woman but she still has the ability to ensure I'm looking for another job if she wants to.  That's still nothing compared to a coach who has the ability to ensure your lifelong dream doesn't happen.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

34 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

What's the problem? A big strong pro athlete with known mental health issues accuses a near midget of overpowering and raping him during a cup run. Of course the brass are going to be like "Ok there buddy, we'll look into this after the season..."

Doesn't matter how it came about, once it was brought to the attention of higher ups it should have been investigated and dealt with. It's the same standard that is expected in any work place. The higher ups failed to do their job. Not only that but they give the predator a letter of recommendation even knowing what he was being accused of.

Edited by Joe King