The Athletic 1-on-1 with Rick Tocchett

HKSR

52 minutes ago, HKSR said:

On Pettersson:

"Our strength coach Alex Trinca went out to see him and said he’s doing terrific out there. He’s skating, working on the things that we’ve talked about."

Wasn't there an issue last year or the year before where a team (it might've even been the Canucks) got slapped on the wrist because of a grievance that the PA filed against it for having coaches appear at a player-organized offseason practice session?

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5653774/2024/07/24/canucks-rick-tocchet-jack-adams/

Just some highlights below...

Some good things being said including giving players a bit more rope to be creative and shifting focus a bit more to executing attacks off the rush.  It sounds like he's gonna work on balancing 'safe' play and creation of offensive opportunities.  That bodes well because personally I think the team played way too safe down the stretch, it killed our offence and we struggled.  The Canucks best hockey was the first half of the season where offensive creativity wasn't neutered. 

"...we decided that we were going to be a very good team without the puck. Now when we get the puck, what are we doing with it? How are we taking off?..."

A look into the mindset of the coach for our top 6:

"Obviously we need to get Pettersson some people to play with. The guy needs some people to play with, and we understand that.

Now Pettersson has to do some stuff himself, that’s a different conversation, and he needs to sharpen his game in certain spots. In terms of finding players that can fit with him, though, DeBrusk is that player.

I would be lying to you if I said I wasn’t interested in seeing what DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser could do as a line too. A north-south guy that’s fast as hell and can stretch the zone, that’s exactly the type of guy that you want Miller to have too. So is that Heinen or Sherwood or Nils Höglander if he improves his game?"

On Pettersson:

"Our strength coach Alex Trinca went out to see him and said he’s doing terrific out there. He’s skating, working on the things that we’ve talked about."

On Sprong:

"Yeah, I think there’s this narrative out there that he’s not going to be a Tocchet-type of guy, but we had two really good conversations before he decided to sign with us. And I think he had two or three other teams on the go.

We had a very frank conversation. I asked him some pointed questions, about why he hasn’t stuck with a certain team, why he’s often sitting on the bench with five minutes left in a game. And I liked his answers. I thought he was accountable, he knows he has to be better without the puck …

And I think he liked what I said, because he signed with us four hours later. I told him, “I’ve got to work my ass off to make you the player you want to become,” and I asked him, is there a scenario where you stay here? Where you establish for several years in Vancouver instead of bouncing around?

He’s a 27-year-old player, so he’s still young and he’s a very intriguing guy. He could be a secret weapon for us."

On Desharnais:

"We just feel like with our system and the way we teach things, that there’s another level there. I shared that with Vinny. I said, “This contract wasn’t his big payday, your next contract is your big payday.”

A good read overall, sounded like Sprong and Desharnais chose the Canucks.  They had several teams pursuing them.  Sprong must really want to be here if he only took $975k.

With this management group and this coaching staff, it just feels like we're inching closer and closer to that Cup.

I like how he spoke to Pettersson needing guys, hopefully that's DeBrusk and one of Sprong or the new guys. Wasn't as keen on him speaking to DeBrusk with Miller, but I guess we'll see. They really need to give Pettersson some offensive stability, stacking that Miller line weakens the depth they can throw out imo; we'd be much more dangerous with two dynamite top six lines. 

Hopefully they slap Heinen, Hoglander, or someone else with Miller. 

I do think cutting them some slack offensively would be a boon.

I like the bits about Sprong and Desharnais too, management and coaching staff both seem to be confident that they can help players evolve and get better, that's a good thing. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Wasn't there an issue last year or the year before where a team (it might've even been the Canucks) got slapped on the wrist because of a grievance that the PA filed against it for having coaches appear at a player-organized offseason practice session?

organized team practice. "Canucks players took to the ice in April for some extra training time with Daniel and Henrik Sedin, including Dakota Joshua and Jack Studnicka, it seemed innocuous enough."

In response to the Canucks' fine, the NHL and NHLPA have agreed on a trial of a new policy that would allow players to request sessions with a skills coach employed by the team this off-season. In order to still protect the players from having the team control their off-season time, players have to request those on-ice sessions through the NHLPA.

The rule that got the Canucks a $50,000 fine just got changed - Vancouver Is Awesome

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5653774/2024/07/24/canucks-rick-tocchet-jack-adams/

Just some highlights below...

Some good things being said including giving players a bit more rope to be creative and shifting focus a bit more to executing attacks off the rush.  It sounds like he's gonna work on balancing 'safe' play and creation of offensive opportunities.  That bodes well because personally I think the team played way too safe down the stretch, it killed our offence and we struggled.  The Canucks best hockey was the first half of the season where offensive creativity wasn't neutered. 

"...we decided that we were going to be a very good team without the puck. Now when we get the puck, what are we doing with it? How are we taking off?..."

A look into the mindset of the coach for our top 6:

"Obviously we need to get Pettersson some people to play with. The guy needs some people to play with, and we understand that.

Now Pettersson has to do some stuff himself, that’s a different conversation, and he needs to sharpen his game in certain spots. In terms of finding players that can fit with him, though, DeBrusk is that player.

I would be lying to you if I said I wasn’t interested in seeing what DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser could do as a line too. A north-south guy that’s fast as hell and can stretch the zone, that’s exactly the type of guy that you want Miller to have too. So is that Heinen or Sherwood or Nils Höglander if he improves his game?"

On Pettersson:

On Sprong:

"Yeah, I think there’s this narrative out there that he’s not going to be a Tocchet-type of guy, but we had two really good conversations before he decided to sign with us. And I think he had two or three other teams on the go.

We had a very frank conversation. I asked him some pointed questions, about why he hasn’t stuck with a certain team, why he’s often sitting on the bench with five minutes left in a game. And I liked his answers. I thought he was accountable, he knows he has to be better without the puck …

And I think he liked what I said, because he signed with us four hours later. I told him, “I’ve got to work my ass off to make you the player you want to become,” and I asked him, is there a scenario where you stay here? Where you establish for several years in Vancouver instead of bouncing around?

He’s a 27-year-old player, so he’s still young and he’s a very intriguing guy. He could be a secret weapon for us."

On Desharnais:

"We just feel like with our system and the way we teach things, that there’s another level there. I shared that with Vinny. I said, “This contract wasn’t his big payday, your next contract is your big payday.”

A good read overall, sounded like Sprong and Desharnais chose the Canucks.  They had several teams pursuing them.  Sprong must really want to be here if he only took $975k.

With this management group and this coaching staff, it just feels like we're inching closer and closer to that Cup.

Sprong's new nick name: Secret weapon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

organized team practice. "Canucks players took to the ice in April for some extra training time with Daniel and Henrik Sedin, including Dakota Joshua and Jack Studnicka, it seemed innocuous enough."

In response to the Canucks' fine, the NHL and NHLPA have agreed on a trial of a new policy that would allow players to request sessions with a skills coach employed by the team this off-season. In order to still protect the players from having the team control their off-season time, players have to request those on-ice sessions through the NHLPA.

The rule that got the Canucks a $50,000 fine just got changed - Vancouver Is Awesome

Thanks - I forgot that it got resolved with this "new" approach of requiring the players to request the services of coaching staff.  🍻

17 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I like how he spoke to Pettersson needing guys, hopefully that's DeBrusk and one of Sprong or the new guys. Wasn't as keen on him speaking to DeBrusk with Miller, but I guess we'll see. They really need to give Pettersson some offensive stability, stacking that Miller line weakens the depth they can throw out imo; we'd be much more dangerous with two dynamite top six lines. 

Hopefully they slap Heinen, Hoglander, or someone else with Miller. 

I do think cutting them some slack offensively would be a boon.

I like the bits about Sprong and Desharnais too, management and coaching staff both seem to be confident that they can help players evolve and get better, that's a good thing. 

Like Tochett, the first thing I thought about when we signed Debrusk was "man would he make Millers line next level awesome".    He didn't lie, he's thought about it too. 

• Cheers 2

It can't be understated just how important a good coach is to attracting players. Most guys don't want to play for a Babcock or Tortorella. They know they'll enjoy their season/lives more playing for a coaching staff like we have. LFG.

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

Like Tochett, the first thing I thought about when we signed Debrusk was "man would he make Millers line next level awesome".    He didn't lie, he's thought about it too. 

PP1:  Miller, Boeser, DeBrusk, Petterson, Hughes..... now THAT's stacked!

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I love that he acknowledges that we have to be more creative offensively.

Better late than never! 

At the same time what made us successful was our defensive play. We generated more than enough offense by playing strong defense.

If sacrificing that leads to less wins forget about it.

I would argue we might wanna tighten up even more since our defense isn’t as strong.

9 hours ago, Jester13 said:

It can't be understated just how important a good coach is to attracting players. Most guys don't want to play for a Babcock or Tortorella. They know they'll enjoy their season/lives more playing for a coaching staff like we have. LFG.

That is spot on!

Sprong said that he was weighing his options with few other teams, but as soon as he finished his phone call with Tocc it was a no brainier to come here. 

It is becoming harder and harder to attract quality players to sign in Canada. The players we already have want to play for him, and the fact we can bring in new talent from just a phone call speaks huge volumes with what Toccett brings to the organization, not only as a coach, but a big reason some may come come here and others want to stay. 

To say Tocc is important for this organization in so many ways is the understatement of the year.