Which Defenseman do we target throughout the Season (Discussion)

While I imagine we're done, unless there is a Podz or Hogs deal in the works. 

Wanted to start a discussion of some dmen we could target throughout the season and get your takes. 

List of dmen who could be available some depending on standings positioning and maybe some wishful thinking.  

A.Pelech

A.Romanov 

V.Gavrikov 

J.Oleksiak

S.Theodore 

J.Chychrun 

C.Parayko 

I.Provorov

M.Pettersson 

R.Andersson 

M.Fehervary 

B.McNabb

M.Ferraro

T.Sanheim

A.Zub 

M.Matheson

N.Pionk 

Any other to add or players you like the most on this list?

24 minutes ago, Toccfather said:

Wanted to start a discussion of some dmen we could target throughout the season and get your takes. 

List of dmen who could be available some depending on standings positioning and maybe some wishful thinking.  

A.Pelech

A.Romanov 

V.Gavrikov 

J.Oleksiak

S.Theodore 

J.Chychrun 

C.Parayko 

I.Provorov

M.Pettersson 

R.Andersson 

M.Fehervary 

B.McNabb

M.Ferraro

T.Sanheim

A.Zub 

M.Matheson

N.Pionk 

Romanov, Andersson, Theodore would be my targets 

• Cheers 1

If we're trading out a cheaper forward for a pricey defender with term, we had better ensure that another pricey contract can get moved out so we're not too tight to the cap.  (Boeser's an expiring, and then Garland and Demko will be in 2026-27).

Next year, we're only projected to have $13 million in cap space, with only 16 contracts, so we may get handcuffed if we somehow end up with another Mikheyev situation.  I think we would be smart to avoid trading for another veteran D in their prime who will be looking for big money.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

tbh if we are going for it a Rasmus Andersson trade given his contract would be what I would target and I am sure CGY asks for Wallander in return and I would do it.

Andersson is a true top pair two way RD with an amazing contract (...and he was drafted with the 2nd we used on Sven Beartschi)

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

tbh if we are going for it a Rasmus Andersson trade given his contract would be what I would target and I am sure CGY asks for Wallander in return and I would do it.

Andersson is a true top pair two way RD with an amazing contract (...and he was drafted with the 2nd we used on Sven Beartschi)

Would be my pick as well, and would be super ideal from a cap perspective

1. we would easily accumulate enough cap space to bring him in by the deadline (assuming we unload poolmans contract)

2. cost controlled through the worst 2 OEL buyout years

I dont think id trade willander though. We got Hronek for a 1st and a 2nd, i would imagine the price should be comparable. I'd do a 1st and a 2nd for Andersson. 

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Andersson

Forbort-Myers

*Desharnais

Willander hopefully takes Myers' spot once Myers contract expires

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I'd be sad to see Willander go, but it definitely would fit are window, and would be a great D in my opinion:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Andersson

Forbort-Myers/Des

Wonder if Des can play on the Left? If so....

Cap wise:

- Poolman LTIR: 2.5m

- Trade Forbort to Cgy in deal: 1.5m

- Trade Suter to Cgy in deal: 0.8m

** Cap Freed: 4.8m**

Trade:

Willander + Suter + Forbort + 2025 2nd (maybe have to do our 1st?)  -> Andersson

10 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

1. we would easily accumulate enough cap space to bring him in by the deadline (assuming we unload poolmans contract)

I dont think id trade willander though. We got Hronek for a 1st and a 2nd, i would imagine the price should be comparable. I'd do a 1st and a 2nd for Andersson. 

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Andersson

Forbort-Myers

*Desharnais

Yeah, IF we didn't need to include Willander, even better. I just think Cgy will want a Blue Chip prospect versus a late 1st and 2nd rounder

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Andersson

Forbort-Myers

*Desharnais

Exactly.!  (Re: The bolded part of your post).

Trading Willander at this point in his progression and given all the accolades that he has received in this last year, the way he skates, etc..... would be a shortsighted and possibly the most stupid move that we could make. Something that I would have expected from Benning.

I like Andersson but I believe within a few short years that Willander will be the better player. 

There is nobody on that list that I would trade straight up for Willander.

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 2

A Boeser for Marcus Pettersson trade would help this team 

Debrusk Pettersson Hoglander

Joshua Miller Garland 

Heinen Suter Sprong 

Podkolzin Blueger Sherwood 

Hughes Hronek

Pettersson Myers 

Soucy Desharnais 

Forbort Juulsen 

Demko

Silovs 

Edited by Rypien-Punch

22 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

For me, Willander is a non starter. He seems to have everything needed to be an elite number one RD. granted, it’s not a guarantee, but I still think it’s a safe bet. 

We will also need to at least see what we have first.    Maybe if the year is going swimmingly well.   How are we going to fit Andersson under the cap past this season... cap is, as usual, part of the discussion.  

• Cheers 1

On 7/24/2024 at 11:13 AM, Toccfather said:

A.Pelech

A.Romanov 

V.Gavrikov 

J.Oleksiak

S.Theodore 

J.Chychrun 

C.Parayko 

I.Provorov

M.Pettersson 

R.Andersson 

M.Fehervary 

B.McNabb

M.Ferraro

T.Sanheim

A.Zub 

M.Matheson

N.Pionk 

Why in God's good name would Vegas trade Shea Theodore? They're tight to the cap and have a first pair defenseman making 5.2 million.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

Why in God's good name would Vegas trade Shea Theodore? They're tight to the cap and have a first pair defenseman making 5.2 million.

If you read some may depend on position in standings. Some are predicting Vegas could decline after losses to Stephenson and Marchessault, as well as an aging roster.