Which Defenseman do we target throughout the Season (Discussion)

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Marcus Pettersson would be the guy I'd target if I were Allvin.  We know he's good defensively, but he's also solid offensively... put up 30 points.  Not a heavy guy, but he has good reach being 6'3".

Would also be great for my fantasy team 😆

Plus then we'd eventually have TWO D-Petey's + OG Petey! How fun for the play by play guys! 🤣

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

Plus then we'd eventually have TWO D-Petey's + OG Petey! How fun for the play by play guys! 🤣

I found a good way to distinguish the two Elias Petterssons: the defenceman is D-Petey and the forward is F-Petey. Wait. Never Mind.

• Haha 4

I just read that they're thinking of breaking up Hughes and Hronek. 

If that works ie a new Luke Schenn for Huggy.  Then that would buy us time to find a good price alternative.  Then not having to trade out of DESPERATION. 

Other experiments could be Wolanin, Breeze, or even another young dman.

Trouba with cap retention.

Maybe as the season goes on he will be more willing to move for the last few months before his wife finishes her residency.  Especially if we can get out to a hot start and look like a winning team again.

I think someone is needed to ride shotgun with Hughes in the playoffs to stop players from taking liberties.  I also think Hronek is more effective with someone watching his back, he definitely played a lot more tentatively once the intensity ramped up.

Hughes-Trouba

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers

Juulsen-Desharnais

48 minutes ago, Provost said:

Trouba with cap retention.

Maybe as the season goes on he will be more willing to move for the last few months before his wife finishes her residency.  Especially if we can get out to a hot start and look like a winning team again.

I think someone is needed to ride shotgun with Hughes in the playoffs to stop players from taking liberties.  I also think Hronek is more effective with someone watching his back, he definitely played a lot more tentatively once the intensity ramped up.

Hughes-Trouba

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers

Juulsen-Desharnais

We have Trouba at home. 

Noah Juulsen Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

We have Trouba at home. 

Noah Juulsen Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

I like Juulsen and thing he should have been pencilled in on our 3rd pairing…. But to compare him with Trouba is just silly.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Bonkers said:

No way we trade D-Petey nor Willander. We need them to make the roster on ELC's. I think PA will continue to make short 1 or 2 year contracts to UFA veterans until then. 

I am also of the opinion that Willander and D-Petey are off limits. I think Willander could play as soon as next year and D-Petey 2 years, to replace Soucy. 

Still think one difference making minute muncher left D, that can play both sides in a pinch, would make a world of difference on this team going forward. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 7/25/2024 at 1:13 AM, Toccfather said:

While I imagine we're done, unless there is a Podz or Hogs deal in the works. 

Wanted to start a discussion of some dmen we could target throughout the season and get your takes. 

List of dmen who could be available some depending on standings positioning and maybe some wishful thinking.  

A.Pelech

A.Romanov 

V.Gavrikov 

J.Oleksiak

S.Theodore 

J.Chychrun 

C.Parayko 

I.Provorov

M.Pettersson 

R.Andersson 

M.Fehervary 

B.McNabb

M.Ferraro

T.Sanheim

A.Zub 

M.Matheson

N.Pionk 

Any other to add or players you like the most on this list?

I'd target Rasmus Andersson.

1. He's a RHD

2. Plays a solid two-way physical game

3. Is a Top 4 calibre d-man when playing well.

4. Would look good playing alongside Hughes which could allow Hronek to be the PMD on a pairing with Soucy.

5. Very good cap hit.

6. He's Swedish.

My guess is that it would take atleast Garland, a 2nd, and a mid prospect (Woo?) at minimum, but who knows.

• ThereItIs 1

34 minutes ago, Spiked Alia said:

I'd target Rasmus Andersson.

1. He's a RHD

2. Plays a solid two-way physical game

3. Is a Top 4 calibre d-man when playing well.

4. Would look good playing alongside Hughes which could allow Hronek to be the PMD on a pairing with Soucy.

5. Very good cap hit.

6. He's Swedish.

My guess is that it would take atleast Garland, a 2nd, and a mid prospect (Woo?) at minimum, but who knows.

No because F that guy 

2 hours ago, Devron said:

No because F that guy 

Why? Did he do something specific that I’m not aware of? Or is it because he’s a Calgary Flame? If it’s the latter, keep in mind that the city embraced both Lindholm and Zadorov. Andersson had an off year last season, but he’s a solid rugged defenseman when he’s on his game. In theory, he would be a great fit alongside Hughes. Soucy and Hronek would then make for a great second pairing.  Use Myers as part of a load management strategy as the 7th D, and then play him full-time when we get an inevitable injury. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Spiked Alia said:

Why? Did he do something specific that I’m not aware of? Or is it because he’s a Calgary Flame? If it’s the latter, keep in mind that the city embraced both Lindholm and Zadorov. Andersson had an off year last season, but he’s a solid rugged defenseman when he’s on his game. In theory, he would be a great fit alongside Hughes. Soucy and Hronek would then make for a great second pairing.  Use Myers as part of a load management strategy as the 7th D, and then play him full-time when we get an inevitable injury. 

He is the kind of player that is easy to dislike if he's an opponent and easy to love if he's on your roster :). Very unswedish type of "I don't give a fuck" player

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bonkers said:

He is the kind of player that is easy to dislike if he's an opponent and easy to love if he's on your roster :). Very unswedish type of "I don't give a fuck" player

Exactly.  I’d take him on my team any day of the week. He has an amazing cap hit to boot. Having said that, I’m not sure if a package of Garland, a 2nd, and mid prospect (Woo? Klimovich?) would get it done, and moving any of Lekkerimaki or Willander would be off limits.  Acquiring Andersson might have to involve someone like Podkolzin.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 1:56 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

I wouldn't rush into any specific trade, unless it made sense. 4M max. In the meantime we can try Wolanin or Brisboise for spot duty til we find our right mix, til the trade deadline.  

Glad the mention of Brisbois.  He looked good in his tryout and earned a 2 year deal.   He's been slow marinating for a long time now.   Too bad he was injured,  not sure of his recovery, but sure would be something if he got a shot and stuck. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/3/2024 at 1:48 PM, aGENT said:

I still hope that if D-Petey makes the team eventually, he takes #4 so then we have:

EP40 and EP4D and all hell breaks loose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Zombieksa said:

I still hope that if D-Petey makes the team eventually, he takes #4 so then we have:

EP40 and EP4D and all hell breaks loose.

That would be amazing if that were to happen. 

If we are having to sign another goalie (e.g. say Lankinen @ ~$1.5m) because Demko is not ready to start the season, then this is going seriously impact the amount of cap space we have available at the TDL. Potentially that means we won't be upgrading the blueline unless we move salary out prior or pay more for a player with salary retained.

• ThereItIs 1

On 8/21/2024 at 6:59 PM, BigTramFan said:

If we are having to sign another goalie (e.g. say Lankinen @ ~$1.5m) because Demko is not ready to start the season, then this is going seriously impact the amount of cap space we have available at the TDL. Potentially that means we won't be upgrading the blueline unless we move salary out prior or pay more for a player with salary retained.

If Demko is out long enough for this to matter, the odds of us being buyers at the deadline is pretty low anyways.

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

If Demko is out long enough for this to matter, the odds of us being buyers at the deadline is pretty low anyways.

management knows the extent of demko's time line or if he even plays this year. they will do what needs to be done to help this team. if demko ends up still needing surgery, he may be out all year. he then go on ltir.

• ThereItIs 1

I think we will sign Shattenkirk right after opening day.  Get him in for league min, he was serviceable for the Bruins last year.  I think we need another puck moving RD as insurance if our plan doesn;t work out.  He would be about as low risk a signing as we could get.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2024 at 10:13 AM, Toccfather said:

While I imagine we're done, unless there is a Podz or Hogs deal in the works. 

Wanted to start a discussion of some dmen we could target throughout the season and get your takes. 

List of dmen who could be available some depending on standings positioning and maybe some wishful thinking.  

A.Pelech

A.Romanov 

V.Gavrikov 

J.Oleksiak

S.Theodore 

J.Chychrun 

C.Parayko 

I.Provorov

M.Pettersson 

R.Andersson 

M.Fehervary 

B.McNabb

M.Ferraro

T.Sanheim

A.Zub 

M.Matheson

N.Pionk 

Any other to add or players you like the most on this list?

Weegar over Anderson, Would love Pelech or Mcnabb also.

4 hours ago, JT Millers Body Language said:

Weegar over Anderson, Would love Pelech or Mcnabb also.

Weegar might be expensive, plus I don't envision Flames retaining, which might hurt our cap structure. The reason I'm super high on Pelech is; I think he's exactly what we need. Minute munching dman, who can move the puck, shut down the opposition, play a physical style. He only got 16 points last year, but I feel he can be much more effective on our team. We may be able to not only get him at a discount, but with some retention, maybe 500-750K. Isles are in some serious Cap problems with Dobson, Romanov and Nelson needing extensions this offseason. 

I think it's going to be difficult to get anyone high profile at all. Especially if we need to sign another goalie. There just isn't cap space available, even considering Poolman's LTIR. 

Now, if we were able to move out someone with a mid salary, that'd help a ton.  But who would we possibly move out? Garland? Already tried that and the price is too high. We wouldn't move anyone we just acquired or signed, nor anyone holding an essential roster position - so that leaves extremely limited options. 

Oddly, I can almost see the best play being trading the goalie we may sign to fill in for Demko to start the season. But if my math is correct they couldn't cost any more than 2.6m or so, and even the full 2.6m of vacated cap space simply doesn't get you that great of a defenseman. We'd have to get a team to retain, and then give them a draft pick or two to make it worth their while. 

In the end, I bet if we do get another defenseman it'll be someone relatively washed up but still good enough to contribute in more of a depth role. All this talk of Weegar, Pelech or Pettersson is unlikely - at least without severely hampering our future drafts.