Which Defenseman do we target throughout the Season (Discussion)

On 7/24/2024 at 10:38 AM, canuck73_3 said:

Romanov, Andersson, Theodore would be my targets 

Theodore is a pure offensive D. He isn't physical but will get in front of shots decently

Hughes would limit him his output. He PPs only and doesn't PK and has more O-zone starts at even-strength.

My choice would depend on the trajectory of T.Willander. I think he may be ready as soon as next year. Therefore I'd only be interested in a rental for a RHD, A.Larsson would definitely be on the top of the list. 

But, if we were to make a trade for the now and future. I want a physical LHD, that can play both sides in a pinch, can move the puck, play a shutdown role and excellent penalty killer. I'd be looking towards Pelech, Romanov with extension or Gavrikov with extension. 

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I wouldn't rush into any specific trade, unless it made sense. 4M max. In the meantime we can try Wolanin or Brisboise for spot duty til we find our right mix, til the trade deadline.  

Or just see how training camp and preseason plays out.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

14 hours ago, Toccfather said:

My choice would depend on the trajectory of T.Willander. I think he may be ready as soon as next year. Therefore I'd only be interested in a rental for a RHD, A.Larsson would definitely be on the top of the list. 

But, if we were to make a trade for the now and future. I want a physical LHD, that can play both sides in a pinch, can move the puck, play a shutdown role and excellent penalty killer. I'd be looking towards Pelech, Romanov with extension or Gavrikov with extension. 

I’m not so sure they’d move Larsson. They’re looking to rebound after last season and get back into the playoffs. If they fall out of the race perhaps, but I’m sure they’d rather not trade with a division rival. 

Edited by Snoop Hogg

27 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I’m not so sure they’d move Larsson. They’re looking to rebound after last season and get back into the playoffs. If they fall out of the race perhaps, but I’m sure they’d rather not trade with a division rival. 

After adding Stephenson and Montour one would imagine they're set on getting back into the playoffs, yeah. If they fall out of the playoffs he'd a player who'd garner a lot of interest, and I'm not sure we should be paying for rentals. He'll be 32 in November and this next contract will likely be his last, someone else can trade for him and extend him. 

If we're willing to pony up what it'd cost to acquire Larsson from a divisional rival I'd rather bang hard on the door for Zub if Ottawa's out of the mix. If that means waiving Juulsen and having four RD in Hronek, Myers, Zub, and Desharnais, or moving Deshairnais out, so be it. Hell, bumping Forbort into the 7D slot and having D like the following could be an option if we can accumulate the cap space.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Zub

Deshairnais-Myers

Forbort

Could even have it Soucy-Myers and Desharnais-Zub if one wants to stabilize Myers. 

Ideally we find someone to bump Myers down to the third pairing, if that means delaying Willander's stepping into the NHL that doesn't bother me in the slightest. Willander will be 20 in February, he can spend this coming season playing for Boston Uni again and then get some AHL time if there isn't room in the bigs, it's not as if he couldn't benefit from it. That would have him breaking in as what'd hopefully be a regular at 22. D tend to take longer anyway and Willander was an 11OA pick, not a 5OA, guys in that bracket often need time to stew anyway when you consider the history of players picked at that slot. I understand folks wanting to capitalize on his ELC, but there's really no reason to rush Willander. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/draft_by_pick.php?position=11

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Pelech or Theodore. 

Not only thinking about this season but next season as well and long-term

Hughes - Hronek

Pelech/Theodore - Willander

Soucy - Myers

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 11:04 PM, NorthWestNuck said:

For me, Willander is a non starter. He seems to have everything needed to be an elite number one RD. granted, it’s not a guarantee, but I still think it’s a safe bet. 

A safe bet starting on an ELC.... money matters the next few years...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/26/2024 at 10:02 PM, Toccfather said:

If you read some may depend on position in standings. Some are predicting Vegas could decline after losses to Stephenson and Marchessault, as well as an aging roster. 

They won't go there for a couple seasons.   But you're correct, a re-tool is coming likely around Eichel. 

On 7/27/2024 at 2:38 PM, Coconuts said:

After adding Stephenson and Montour one would imagine they're set on getting back into the playoffs, yeah. If they fall out of the playoffs he'd a player who'd garner a lot of interest, and I'm not sure we should be paying for rentals. He'll be 32 in November and this next contract will likely be his last, someone else can trade for him and extend him. 

If we're willing to pony up what it'd cost to acquire Larsson from a divisional rival I'd rather bang hard on the door for Zub if Ottawa's out of the mix. If that means waiving Juulsen and having four RD in Hronek, Myers, Zub, and Desharnais, or moving Deshairnais out, so be it. Hell, bumping Forbort into the 7D slot and having D like the following could be an option if we can accumulate the cap space.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Zub

Deshairnais-Myers

Forbort

Could even have it Soucy-Myers and Desharnais-Zub if one wants to stabilize Myers. 

Ideally we find someone to bump Myers down to the third pairing, if that means delaying Willander's stepping into the NHL that doesn't bother me in the slightest. Willander will be 20 in February, he can spend this coming season playing for Boston Uni again and then get some AHL time if there isn't room in the bigs, it's not as if he couldn't benefit from it. That would have him breaking in as what'd hopefully be a regular at 22. D tend to take longer anyway and Willander was an 11OA pick, not a 5OA, guys in that bracket often need time to stew anyway when you consider the history of players picked at that slot. I understand folks wanting to capitalize on his ELC, but there's really no reason to rush Willander. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/draft_by_pick.php?position=11

To acquire Zub, we will need to move a guy like Brock.   Just don't see it any other way.    A  core player or great support  for another.    Ottawa needs goaltending, so for sure they'd be interested in Demko.    That would work, and we'd take one of their Silovs types back.      Not worth it.    Ottawa was supposed to be better then they were last season,  and knew how to throw in the towel instead of chasing a near impossibility, running with two guys sub .900, worst goaltending in the league.   In some ways their identity is a lot like Tochetts, no cheating and hard to play against.    Maybe they'd take Brock but doubt it.    Zub is a fan favourite, one of those guys that gets cheered for when making a big hit or a solid defensive play, their fan base won't be happy unless it appears on paper, lopsided. 

Edit:  Ottawa.   Won't surprise me at all if that group with a little better goaltending, makes the playoffs this year as is.   You won't find a team in the league with a collection of core guys all within a five year period.   Handfuls of them were drafted and created a spot for themselves on the (core and good support guys, all who should peak or reach primes  together)  lineup.    Best ones locked in for 8 years, they are ready for the next step. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

A safe bet starting on an ELC.... money matters the next few years...

Allvin and JR will re-sign Brock, and keep working the edges.    Willander and Lekkermaki, are the Edler and Bourdon of the Sedin era, valuable young prospects.   If they both work out, we will be in for a long ride. 

Edit:  By edges I mean exactly what they did this summer, and the previous one.   No long term commitments, not until QHs and Demko.    He's going to keep mining the league for guys like Joshua, Soucy etc.    Possibly some of these guys get another deal like Joshua did.    It's a good formula.   Alvin's cap re-distribution has worked really well so far.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Allvin and JR will re-sign Brock, and keep working the edges.    Willander and Lekkermaki, are the Edler and Bourdon of the Sedin era, valuable young prospects.   If they both work out, we will be in for a long ride. 

Edit:  By edges I mean exactly what they did this summer, and the previous one.   No long term commitments, not until QHs and Demko.    He's going to keep mining the league for guys like Joshua, Soucy etc.    Possibly some of these guys get another deal like Joshua did.    It's a good formula.   Alvin's cap re-distribution has worked really well so far.   

They have been great at balancing the books, and in general getting bang for buck...

This is really important as we go into the more severe penalty for the OEL recap.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, spook007 said:

They have been great at balancing the books, and in general getting bang for buck...

This is really important as we go into the more severe penalty for the OEL recap.

It's not recapture. It's buyout cost.  Big difference 

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers... sure you know, what I am saying.

But ok. 

It's actually okay.   Just saying! 

Anyways, you are correct the team needs to be careful during that part of the OEL thingy.    Allvin certainly is rebuilding trust in that way for me anyways.   The mistakes are few and he's got under them, a lot more good then not so good. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Pettersson is probably the most likeliest target for this management group 

Theodore would be the “swing for the fences” target though 

to vgk: D pettersson, podkolzin, 1st round pick 2025

To van: Theodore 

That probably wouldn’t get it done but the end result is fun 

hughes-hronek

theodore-myers

soucy-desharnais

forbort-juulsen

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

10 hours ago, Billabong said:

Pettersson is probably the most likeliest target for this management group 

Theodore would be the “swing for the fences” target though 

to vgk: D pettersson, podkolzin, 1st round pick 2025

To van: Theodore 

That probably wouldn’t get it done but the end result is fun 

hughes-hronek

theodore-myers

soucy-desharnais

forbort-juulsen

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

I don't see why we need another point producing Offensive minded dman. Yes, he can move the puck, but shutdown a line? 

Theodore won't get PP1 and maybe PP2. 

11 hours ago, Toccfather said:

I don't see why we need another point producing Offensive minded dman. Yes, he can move the puck, but shutdown a line? 

Theodore won't get PP1 and maybe PP2. 

Yeah, as much "fun" as Theodore is, I don't see it either. Not a fit. We need a nice solid, cerebral defense first lefty to either complement Myers now (Willander later), or Hronek (if/when Willander eventually bumps him down to 2nd pair) while bumping Soucy to 3rd pair with Desharnais. 

Pelech would probably be the dream but likely pricier. Especially as he a has a couple years left after this one and arguably a bigger name. Pettersson is probably the most likely, given the PIT connection, expiring deal, less of a household name etc.

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, as much "fun" as Theodore is, I don't see it either. Not a fit. We need a nice solid, cerebral defense first lefty to either complement Myers now (Willander later), or Hronek (if/when Willander eventually bumps him down to 2nd pair) while bumping Soucy to 3rd pair with Desharnais. 

Pelech would probably be the dream but likely pricier. Especially as he a has a couple years left after this one and arguably a bigger name. Pettersson is probably the most likely, given the PIT connection, expiring deal, less of a household name etc.

Pelech would be amazing, especially with him locked in for 5 seasons. 

If not him, I'm looking at Romanov, Oleksiak, Gavrikov if the kings are out of the playoff picture. 

Also, if we're just looking at rentals. A.Larsson would definitely be on that list. 

8 hours ago, Toccfather said:

If not him, I'm looking at Romanov, Oleksiak, Gavrikov if the kings are out of the playoff picture. 

Also, if we're just looking at rentals. A.Larsson would definitely be on that list. 

Serious question? What assets do you think Vancouver has (and would be willing to move)  that would be able to get any of the guys you listed? The cupboards are pretty bare and there's no cap space to do it for just picks.  Hoglander or Garland aren't going to get any of those guys.  So what can/would Vancouver offer? 

Edited by qwijjibo

4 hours ago, Toccfather said:

With Hronek, Myers, Desharnais, Willander, Freidman, McWard... We don't really need another RD though. So you can probably scratch any of them off that list. Larsson included unfortunately (man I was hoping for him that UFA season).

I guess that's a good thing though given RD's relative scarcity to LD's. Should be easier/cheaper to add one. Still feel like that Myers deal is holding us back from really improving our top 4 though. But in suppose there's worse options as interim fill in until Willander it's ready.

Anyway, like I said, Pettersson is probably a better "under the radar" target than Pelech or others. 

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, aGENT said:

With Hronek, Myers, Desharnais, Willander, Freidman, McWard... We don't really need another RD though. So you can probably scratch any of them off that list. Larsson included unfortunately (man I was hoping for him that UFA season).

I guess that's a good thing though given RD's relative scarcity to LD's. Should be easier/cheaper to add one. Still feel like that Myers deal is holding us back from really improving our top 4 though. But in suppose there's worse options as interim fill in until Willander it's ready.

Anyway, like I said, Pettersson is probably a better "under the radar" target than Pelech or others. 

Marcus Pettersson would be the guy I'd target if I were Allvin.  We know he's good defensively, but he's also solid offensively... put up 30 points.  Not a heavy guy, but he has good reach being 6'3".

Would also be great for my fantasy team 😆

• Haha 1