Sedins to be more involved with Canuck Power play

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Short of finding a way to share their telepathic link, I'm guessing they'll be downloading their knowledge via mind meld.  :classic_ninja:

star-trek-picard-vulcan-mind-meld.jpg?fi

vulcan-mind-meld.jpg

5715a01849d112bc-600x338.jpg

Screen-Shot-2017-10-12-at-3.14.43-AM.png

4861a9a36c7cfbae45b0f70ae0bd6994.jpg

Star-Trek-VI-Makes-No-Sense-Valeris.jpg

MindMeld1.jpg

what will Spuck be conveying?

Live long and prosper, playing hockey

and

You're the worlds best 'Vulcan'  hockey player so play like it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ballisticsports said:

what will Spuck be conveying?

Live long and prosper, playing hockey

and

You're the worlds best 'Vulcan'  hockey player so play like it

They'll use Vulcanized rubber. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unpopular opinion but I don’t think this will work as well as people will think. It’s the Gretzky conundrum where you can’t teach people to think at the level the Sedins did so what they were able to accomplish on the powerplay can’t really be replicated because they saw things other players couldn’t.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Unpopular opinion but I don’t think this will work as well as people will think. It’s the Gretzky conundrum where you can’t teach people to think at the level the Sedins did so what they were able to accomplish on the powerplay can’t really be replicated because they saw things other players couldn’t.

Meh.   This might piss some people off from the "glory days" of "#1 PP in the LEAGUE" ... but it really was just that.   The best at the time (was it 24.6%?..just going by memory).    25% is a very good power play though.   We've had better.  And have matched it in recent years as far as the entire point, which is putting the puck in the net.   Just because we don't have a McDavid PP, doesn't mean we haven't had some success either.     That's why it's based on percentage. 

I'm not expecting them to learn how to keep the puck in the other zone for 2 minutes but suppose that's ok as long as they don't learn the part about when it really matters, we don't let the shorthanded chances and goals against as well.    Not that they weren't great because they were,  let's not lose site that what we've seen recently hasn't matched or close to matched, Naslund... well suppose the 80's doesn't count because different era.   But that's when it was actually the most productive.     

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/25/2024 at 7:23 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Short of finding a way to share their telepathic link, I'm guessing they'll be downloading their knowledge via mind meld. 

The Sedins, physically, in skills, but also specifically in tactics were amongst the most drilled and proficient players. 

Body control with the puck. Tying off a bigger man on the boards, heck anywhere, on the cycle? Read and react planned plays. Timing based on endurance; how many times did they start breaking to the middle of the ice after cycling 45 or 60 seconds in an opponents zone. Knowing their opponent was gassed. Pick plays. These and many other tactics can be trained for, practiced, executed by others. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The Sedins, physically, in skills, but also specifically in tactics were amongst the most drilled and proficient players. 

Body control with the puck. Tying off a bigger man on the boards, heck anywhere, on the cycle? Read and react planned plays. Timing based on endurance; how many times did they start breaking to the middle of the ice after cycling 45 or 60 seconds in an opponents zone. Knowing their opponent was gassed. Pick plays. These and many other tactics can be trained for, practiced, executed by others. 

It was more than just trained and practiced for... 

Its plays they grew up making from childhood... I think, it will be very hard to replicate for players not this close to one another...

However, it is definitely worth a shot, as it wasn't like our PP was fabulous last season...

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, spook007 said:

It was more than just trained and practiced for... 

Its plays they grew up making from childhood... I think, it will be very hard to replicate for players not this close to one another...

However, it is definitely worth a shot, as it wasn't like our PP was fabulous last season...

The Sedin's were innovators.  Look at what I did not mention, use of the slap pass?

Its fair that some plays are hard to duplicate without the many years of repetition few others had the luxury of?  Hard to duplicate easily or not. There is no tactic that cannot be observed and taught.

This also goes for types of players. Imagine a 180lb Swede boxing off a 220lb defenseman. The body frame that did it, ectomorph, hint Pettersson is also one, is the rarest of athletic body types at roughly 3% of population.  The Twins and Petey also taller than average at 6'2''. Having advantages in energy & endurance, each of these three trained amazing core strength in to their arsenal.  Their height allows/ed any of them to hold the puck at a distance from their leg stance. Their core flexibility means they can lean & do not take the beating across a rigid body. Then still handle the puck with some ogre leaning on them & it actually puts a Shea Weber off balance trying.

But keeping it simple almost all of their rotational, backdoor, and varying criss cross & pick plays are now in coaches play books.  The average athlete just never tried them. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The Sedin's were innovators.  Look at what I did not mention, use of the slap pass?

Its fair that some plays are hard to duplicate without the many years of repetition few others had the luxury of?  Hard to duplicate easily or not. There is no tactic that cannot be observed and taught.

This also goes for types of players. Imagine a 180lb Swede boxing off a 220lb defenseman. The body frame that did it, ectomorph, hint Pettersson is also one, is the rarest of athletic body types at roughly 3% of population.  The Twins and Petey also taller than average at 6'2''. Having advantages in energy & endurance, each of these three trained amazing core strength in to their arsenal.  Their height allows/ed any of them to hold the puck at a distance from their leg stance. Their core flexibility means they can lean & do not take the beating across a rigid body. Then still handle the puck with some ogre leaning on them & it actually puts a Shea Weber off balance trying.

But keeping it simple almost all of their rotational, backdoor, and varying criss cross & pick plays are now in coaches play books.  The average athlete just never tried them. 

Cheers Surfer...

Yeah as I said its well worth a try, and even at 90% it would be a massive improvement...  Thing is Burrows kind of figured it out. if not being telepathic at least he knew, where they wanted him to go...

Petey has a gift, and when he is on song, he jus up there with the best of them... getting him a partner that would understand it entirely would be like winning the jackpot.. 

PS. I remember my first game at GM Place... Sedins were second line players and they scored one of their slap pass goals... you could see instantly they had something going between them... good times 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Petey the Puck Whisperer said:

Well this should be terrible.

With the elite skill of Hughes  and pettersson they should have some things to add.  I thought Miller and Boeser started to produce alot of cycle play last year that likely had some sedin influence.  I'd like to see the power play work some small area give and go on the lw boards and corner and open up petey on the weak side.

• Like 1

The Sedins are very intelligent people and clearly have a great mind for the game. That being said, their power play prowess is largely overblown by local media and some fans. They made a few innovations early on (like the slap pass) but their power plays then became very stagnant and predictable.

Following the two Presidents' Trophy seasons where our power play was quite good (including league leading in 2010-11), the rest of the Sedins' career it was actually quite bad with our power play being in the bottom 10 teams in the league almost every season. It was 9th worst in 2012-13 and bottom 5 in 2013-14, 2015-16, and 2016-17. It became extremely predictable with a drop pass to enter the zone followed by standing around and passing around the perimeter waiting for the perfect shot.

I actually think players like Pettersson and Hughes are more creative than the Sedins were and hope the Sedins don't try to make the power play too formulaic. But, as I said, the Sedins are highly intelligent and may end up becoming power play coaching gurus. I do think one of our issues recently has been Petey standing around too much looking for the perfect shot so hopefully the Sedins can convince him to move around a bit more.

On 8/5/2024 at 11:31 AM, Diamonds said:

The Sedins are very intelligent people and clearly have a great mind for the game. That being said, their power play prowess is largely overblown by local media and some fans. They made a few innovations early on (like the slap pass) but their power plays then became very stagnant and predictable.

Following the two Presidents' Trophy seasons where our power play was quite good (including league leading in 2010-11), the rest of the Sedins' career it was actually quite bad with our power play being in the bottom 10 teams in the league almost every season. It was 9th worst in 2012-13 and bottom 5 in 2013-14, 2015-16, and 2016-17. It became extremely predictable with a drop pass to enter the zone followed by standing around and passing around the perimeter waiting for the perfect shot.

I actually think players like Pettersson and Hughes are more creative than the Sedins were and hope the Sedins don't try to make the power play too formulaic. But, as I said, the Sedins are highly intelligent and may end up becoming power play coaching gurus. I do think one of our issues recently has been Petey standing around too much looking for the perfect shot so hopefully the Sedins can convince him to move around a bit more.

The lack of powerplay success in the lateral half of their career can't really be blamed on them.

2012-13: Kesler was missing almost a quarter of the season, and there aren't much depth up and down the line up that season. Outside of Sedins and Alex Burrows, without Ryan Kesler, we had a combination, Raymond, Higgins, Booth, Hansen, Kassian Ebett all took turns on the powerplay. At this point of their careers, these players are more of third liners, but aren't your ideal second line players. The team overall just didn't have the same depth/quality up front as 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.

2013-14: Torts run the Sedins to the ground, playing them 20+ minutes a night. The lack of scoring problem that plagued the Canucks in 2013 is still an issue (and it got worse). Torts' system wasn't suited for our group of players and the whole team was exhausted by the second half of the season and it was also a year that nothing went right for us. The Hamhuis own goal against Luongo against the Canadiens pretty much summed up our season in a nutshell.

2016-18: Teams were straight up bad teams that extremely lack top 6 quality forwards. Scoring in the years of 2016 and 2017 season in particular were bad. We did not have a single defenseman that can quarter back the powerplay and Willie D also put suspects like Megna, Chaput and Skille in those units which you can' treally mid-30s Sedins to elevate their play much more.

In summary, a key ingredient to a good powerplay is to have the right personnel playing every position: net front, bumper, both-half walls (with atleast one side as a one timer threat) and also a defenseman who can effectively run a powerplay from the point. Ideally, you have a decent/above average second unit that can provide scoring threat and keep the opposint team penalty killers honest.

The Canucks from 2013-19 didn't really have the right personels of a good powerplay and it isn't the Sedins fault. I think the current Canucks team does have the personnel of a very good first unit Poweplay if we can execute. Find the personnel to build a stronger 2nd unit, and I think the goal should aim to be a top 5 Powerplay team this season.

• ThereItIs 1

Felt like Tocchet was trying to force a square peg in a round hole with the powerplay last season.  Movement gets added as a wrinkle to an already good powerplay.  But it's not the meat and potatoes of the pp.  Puck movement and deception need to be more important and I'm happy the Sedins will be more involved.  This is the kind of deception I want to see on the regular like.  

Edited by Pure961089

On 7/26/2024 at 3:52 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm sure Petey will develop the core strength that the Sedins had eventually.  When they were younger, they fell down all the time too.

• Cheers 1

I guess we’ll see 

the cycle and slap pass were great but 

the perimeter passing and over passing

with minimal shots not so much. 

They’ve been underestimated before so hopefully they can get this PP to stop being poopoo 

• Cheers 1