[Signing] Sabres sign Luukkonen

Yikes for Buffalo! He's too big!

The guy can't go side to side! If you can get this silly tall jolly greenless giant looking motherfucker going left to right, right to left he looks like a Goalie from an EA NHL video game.

36 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What does @Sabrefan1 think?

Too much term for a guy who could be supplanted by Levi in 2-3 years.

The GM (Kevyn Adams) is acquiescing to Lindy Ruff's requests right now and is tweaking the roster to fit his coaching style. 

Lindy said in his first sit-down with the media that UPL was his guy.

That said, if Levi does supplant UPL in 2-3 years, the Sabres can ship him to Boston where the Bruins can make average frmr. Sabres goaltenders look like Vezina candidates/winners.  *cough* Linus Ullmark *cough*

• Cheers 1

Basically got the Demko contract. Both signed at 25 for 5 years while slightly unproven but with potential to be a top starter (Demko with the slightly better track record at that point hence the extra $250k 3 years ago). This could turn out to be a great contract as he had a very solid second half to last season and has the potential to continue improving. However, with Levi waiting in the wings the 5 years also confuses me. I don't really know what to think.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Too much term for a guy who could be supplanted by Levi in 2-3 years.

The GM (Kevyn Adams) is acquiescing to Lindy Ruff's requests right now and is tweaking the roster to fit his coaching style. 

Lindy said in his first sit-down with the media that UPL was his guy.

That said, if Levi does supplant UPL in 2-3 years, the Sabres can ship him to Boston where the Bruins can make average frmr. Sabres goaltenders look like Vezina candidates/winners.  *cough* Linus Ullmark *cough*

You know what, I'm sure as a Sabres fan you are stoked about Levi, but I think the Sabres are absolutely doing the right thing by not rushing his situation. And the great thing is, UPL is an incredible goaltender, and one of my favorites. Then if and when the time comes where Levi is ready to assume the starting role, UPL can always be traded ala Ullmark to Ottawa with Swayman (emerging as one of the league's most elite). Buffalo was pretty patient with UPL too, no? I say this is a total win for Buffalo, and one of my favorite contracts I've seen this summer. UPL deserves it, too. He's a beast.

2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

You know what, I'm sure as a Sabres fan you are stoked about Levi, but I think the Sabres are absolutely doing the right thing by not rushing his situation.

They did rush it and got burned and they p*ssed off UPL at the same time.  That's probably why he and his agent wanted a 5 year guarantee.

And the great thing is, UPL is an incredible goaltender, and one of my favorites.

Now that he's going to get steady playing time, I'm excited to see what he can do. 

Then if and when the time comes where Levi is ready to assume the starting role, UPL can always be traded ala Ullmark to Ottawa with Swayman (emerging as one of the league's most elite).

That would suck for UPL.  Just as the Sabres get better, he gets traded to the Sabres of the north.  😂

Buffalo was pretty patient with UPL too, no?

Yes and No.  He has never been shown patience and it has hurt his development.  Sabres coaches were always on the hot seat so they couldn't afford to let UPL have his growing pains.  I think that's why Ruff made it known on Day 1 that UPL was his guy.  He realizes that he will be given more leeway than past Sabres coaches.

I say this is a total win for Buffalo, and one of my favorite contracts I've seen this summer. UPL deserves it, too. He's a beast.

I hope you're correct.  I'm cautiously optimistic.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

This could be a steal and if any team deserves it it’s Buffalo. 

Only concern is Levi and what he decides now. 

Levi will have to compete for the backup role.  I doubt he'll win it this year.  He needs to be properly developed in Rochester.  Throwing him into the fire in the NHL his rookie year could have really hurt him had Adams not pulled the plug on it last season when it was obvious that he couldn't maintain consistent high level play.

Levi showed very good promise, but played exactly like you would expect a rookie to play.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1