Vancouver Canucks expected to waive Spencer Martin

Not an NHL goalie.

Been telling people that since the start of the offseason. Somehow people wanted to roll the dice with him or Silovs. 😂

Thank god management went out and got an NHL backup. That was right up there with a third line center and top 4 D in terms of needs for me.

• Upvote 2

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-waivers-trade-rumours-surround-goalie-spencer-martins-future?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1695928069

He’s in the second year of his contract, which pays him US$775,000, with a slightly lower cap hit of $762,500. Because he is on an NHL deal — and it isn’t an entry-level deal — Martin can’t be assigned to the ECHL without his consent.

I would assume that this also applies to Zach Sawchenko. Meaning that Tolopilo is most likely destined for ECHL deployment and Martin should he go unclaimed, would likely be assigned to a new AHL team on a loan until they find a team to take him on. 

He's in a bit of a weird zone, where he's an elite AHL goalie, but probably not good for more than about 20 NHL games a year, lest he get too overworked. Will probably have a career more as an AHL star than an NHL backup as a result.

• Cheers 2

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-waivers-trade-rumours-surround-goalie-spencer-martins-future?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1695928069

I would assume that this also applies to Zach Sawchenko. Meaning that Tolopilo is most likely destined for ECHL deployment and Martin should he go unclaimed, would likely be assigned to a new AHL team on a loan until they find a team to take him on. 

I find myself forgetting that Sawchenko isn't some college kid, but rather a guy with some NHL and extensive AHL experience. Almost too deep in net. Won't hurt to have Martin claimed if he is. Sawchenko should be a capable backup. Hoping Tolopilo can get a lot of games starting in Kalamazoo.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

CFF, and it's trade x he's worth (insert draft pick).

Goes unclaimed on waivers.

"WHY DIDN'T WE GET A PICK FOR HIM????

Because you need another team to see value. Gone are the days were Pat Quinn could con GM's out of a great player.

“Hey, it’s Pat. I got this super tough player with great size by the name of Alec Stojanov and he can be yours for the low price of that soft Swede of yours, Markus Naslund.”

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

This seems obvious to me. DeSmith is the backup, so he's going to Abby. If someone claims him, that sucks, but not the end of the world. Silovs can handle starter duties in Abbotsford and Tolopilo might be ready for AHL backup duties.

Might be better for his career if someone grabs him to be a #1 in the AHL so he can try to climb back into a back up role in the NHL. It seems he's been passed over with Silovs...Good for our depth if he's not grabbed but better for him if he is.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

Might be better for his career if someone grabs him to be a #1 in the AHL so he can try to climb back into a back up role in the NHL. It seems he's been passed over with Silovs...Good for our depth if he's not grabbed but better for him if he is.

Anyone who claims him does so with the intention of keeping him on the NHL roster.  Otherwise he needs to clear waivers again 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Anyone who claims him fies so with the intention of keeping him on the NHL roster.  Otherwise he needs to clear waivers again 

You're correct, but I can't see there being a "lineup" for him. If someone puts a claim in, its probably going to be only one team...could be wrong but I think most teams have goalies of his calibre. A team like Tampa could grab him with Vaselevsky being injured and for extra depth for their AHL team, as their back up will now be their 1A, their AHL starter is probably their NHL backup...leaving a hole at the AHL level (most likely). I see this type of situation as the only type of team who would take him over their own.

Edited by BlockerHigh

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Doesn't Tampa have only $73000 left of cap?

I assume Vasi would be on LTIR for the 8-10 weeks.  That would allow them to exceed the cap by $9.5m while he's off.  Seeing as how he will be back they won't be able to use that to get a long term replacement.  But they could pick up a guy who could be waived down the road 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Can’t see how Martin has any trade value. Rebound control was an issue for him. NHL teams shouldn’t be trading for that.

It would be worth taking a flyer on Ty Smith, in the unlikely event that he is still available. Not holding out much hope on that.

No more defencemen who can't play defence.  Smith is another Pouliot and has proven that he's not capable of playing at the NHL level even in an emergency.