[SIGNING] Edmonton extends Leon Draisaitl 8 years $14 million AAV

Can’t stand the Oiler’s, McDavid is such an annoying little princess. 
‘but, man I hate to admit it, but I really like Drais’ game. He is has a real chippiness to his game and is one of those players that everyone knows what he is going to do but nobody is able to stop him. 
I hope he gets every cent possible out of that franchise. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Whether they keep Drai and/or Bouchard or not, Edmonton will be taking a big step back next year.

A lot of their success has been the value they are getting out of not only McDavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard’s contracts, but also key secondary guys like Ekholm, Hyman, and RNH. Those first 3 are about to basically double their cost, while the latter 3 are getting older, and likely to decline. Ekholm, in particular, will be 35 next year. After a long season and a short offseason, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is noticeably less effective already.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Whether they keep Drai and/or Bouchard or not, Edmonton will be taking a big step back next year.

A lot of their success has been the value they are getting out of not only McDavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard’s contracts, but also key secondary guys like Ekholm, Hyman, and RNH. Those first 3 are about to basically double their cost, while the latter 3 are getting older, and likely to decline. Ekholm, in particular, will be 35 next year. After a long season and a short offseason, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is noticeably less effective already.

I expect Kane to be gone some how. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Next year this will be their cap:

Draisaitl - $14 million

McDavid - $12.5 million

Bouchard - $10 million

Nurse - $9.25 million

Ekholm - $6 million

Hyman - $5.5 million

Kane - $5.125 million

RNH - $5.125 million

That’s $67.5 million for 8 guys.  That leaves around $24 million for the rest of the team.  Just to put it in perspective, McDavid and Draisaitl will be making more money next season than the remaining 15 players on the team…

They'll probably find a way to move on from Kane... but it's still a really tight cap structure.

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Can’t stand the Oiler’s, McDavid is such an annoying little princess. 
‘but, man I hate to admit it, but I really like Drais’ game. He is has a real chippiness to his game and is one of those players that everyone knows what he is going to do but nobody is able to stop him. 
I hope he gets every cent possible out of that franchise. 

He gets away with a lot. Even with that I think he spends a lot of his next deal on LTIR. 

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So instead of learning you can't put all your money into 4 or so players. They just keep making the same mistakes.

They understand it's a team sport correct?

Didn't work for CHI once Kane and Torres were paid...didn't work for TO under Dubas.    Hasn't worked for any team yet but maybe PIT, but they had to wait for cap to go up an awful lot to get there. 

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

To me 

he was the key to their series against us 

he was so good defensively but also scored a few goals and allowed Bouchard to do his thing 

if he loses a step their team is in trouble 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Next year this will be their cap:

Draisaitl - $14 million

McDavid - $12.5 million

Bouchard - $10 million

Nurse - $9.25 million

Ekholm - $6 million

Hyman - $5.5 million

Kane - $5.125 million

RNH - $5.125 million

That’s $67.5 million for 8 guys.  That leaves around $24 million for the rest of the team.  Just to put it in perspective, McDavid and Draisaitl will be making more money next season than the remaining 15 players on the team…

But, the big issue becomes having to pay McD the next year. I would estimate his contract to be 8years at 17-18m. IF the Oilers resign Draisatl, that means that they will be moving on from Bouchard.....there is just no other option. If they did that, the team would crumble, as they would basically be losing their top pair, and the only decent/great pair they have (Ekholm will not be the same at 37 years old). IN addition, the increased recapture on the Soups buyout will kick in too to suck up increases in the cap. 

Edited by BC_Hawk

16 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

To me 

he was the key to their series against us 

he was so good defensively but also scored a few goals and allowed Bouchard to do his thing 

if he loses a step their team is in trouble 

That's a good take.  Ekholm is quite underrated IMO.  He's the engine of that blue line.  Does it all. 

The one hope that the Oilers have is Broberg.  He has the ability to be their next Ekholm.  That's why I hope somebody offersheets him lol

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So instead of learning you can't put all your money into 4 or so players. They just keep making the same mistakes.

They almost won the cup with things as is, let them sell themselves on the hope that they can get back and finish the job :hurhur:

What they really need to do is find a way to get out of Kane's deal, if his production bounces back they may be able to 

Finding a way to move on from Nurse would be better for them, but that seems extremely unlikely 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They almost won the cup with things as is, let them sell themselves on the hope that they can get back and finish the job :hurhur:

What they really need to do is find a way to get out of Kane's deal, if his production bounces back they may be able to 

Finding a way to move on from Nurse would be better for them, but that seems extremely unlikely 

Not even sure the Leafs would take a gamble on Nurse.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

if you ran an NHL club and Leon Draisaitl was going to be a pending free agent, would you not try your hardest to sign him to a new contract ?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's a good take.  Ekholm is quite underrated IMO.  He's the engine of that blue line.  Does it all. 

The one hope that the Oilers have is Broberg.  He has the ability to be their next Ekholm.  That's why I hope somebody offersheets him lol

I actually hope the Canucks do it. There is obviously no good will between the teams; we are a Cgy trade allie right now, and they hate the oilers too. Maybe even offer an olive branch trade, with Forbort as a Consolation LHD guy for 2024...retain a bit if need be.

Broberg is exactly what the team needs; a LHD prospect that is ready for FT NHL duties. He will become a 2nd pair guy in a year or two.

24-25

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Bro-Des

Forbort, Juulsen, etc

25-26

Hughes-Hronek

Bro-Willander

Soucy-Myers

Des, Juulsen, etc.

26+

Hughes-Hronek

Bro- Willander

Petterson-Prospect/FA

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

if you ran an NHL club and Leon Draisaitl was going to be a pending free agent, would you not try your hardest to sign him to a new contract ?

ONLY if the contract was tradable after the 24-25 season and can return a sizable haul. Resigning him derails the team after this year

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I'd be looking a trade that gives the team depth, and can be more flexible on the cap, and not just looking at the now. Having a strong defensive core, and younger up and coming forwards keeps the team competitive.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not even sure the Leafs would take a gamble on Nurse.

I doubt it, they couldn't afford that cap hit

He's also got a NMC for the next three seasons, so they can't just dump him on a bottom feeder either 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I doubt it, they couldn't afford that cap hit

He's also got a NMC for the next three seasons, so they can't just dump him on a bottom feeder either 

So no Nurse for Jones trades? :hurhur:

• Haha 1