[SIGNING] Edmonton extends Leon Draisaitl 8 years $14 million AAV

On 7/25/2024 at 4:46 AM, DrJockitch said:

Can’t stand the Oiler’s, McDavid is such an annoying little princess. 
‘but, man I hate to admit it, but I really like Drais’ game. He is has a real chippiness to his game and is one of those players that everyone knows what he is going to do but nobody is able to stop him. 
I hope he gets every cent possible out of that franchise. 

When Mcbaby was injured, Dry went Casper on the team. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Ouch

Gotta be honest, I'd rather have Miller at $8 x 8 any day

That's crazy that Miller makes essentially 6 million dollars a year less.   Sucks we will be seeing Leon and I imagine his buddy for the next 9 years or so.  Now they just need to give Bouchard 12 million and they will be set.  We are so lucky Miller gave Vancouver that sweetheart deal

• Upvote 1
  • MillerTime 1

Remember this deal going forward, Leon is a top tier player but this deal will affect what other top six players ask for 

Could very well see Hughes in this range a few years down the road if he keeps it up 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bell said:

That's crazy that Miller makes essentially 6 million dollars a year less.   Sucks we will be seeing Leon and I imagine his buddy for the next 9 years or so.  Now they just need to give Bouchard 12 million and they will be set.  We are so lucky Miller gave Vancouver that sweetheart deal

Miller wants to win for his team

Draisaitl wants to fill his bank account

Heck, I wouldn't even like Draisaitl if he was on our team. Guy is a PoS.  

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

36 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

I don't think anyone wants Nurse

Not going to lie, I wanted the  Canucks to draft Bouchard in his draft year only because I thought hell had to freeze over for Hughes to be available at #7. And yeah, I don't see anyone wanting Nurse at that price tag.......... well maybe Columbus will take him just to get to the cal floor.

9 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Yep, nailed it.

Miller plays with his heart, not his inflated head. Leon - king of the slewfoots, needs dirty play to elevate his game. Oh yeah, and a guy named McDavid.

I'd take Miller ANY day over Leon the Loser. (duh)

Maybe people can see how such a high character Miller is now and that he did give the team a "Friendly" deal. There is something to be said about players that chase the money and those who do whatever it takes to win. Teams like Edmonton and Toronto will get what they deserve in the end. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I think he's worth the money. Read somewhere that he has accumulated 2nd most points in the last 9 years. The problem is the situation they have and the smart move would have been to trade him 

When Miller signed for as much as he did, a lot of people were shocked at the number. His contract looks really good right now with the way things have gone. If Miller had to re-up this summer, that number would have been a lot more than just 8 million with the way top performer contracts have been trending.

McJesus: tells Edmonton brass he won't play for less than $20M AAV in Edmonton

Me:  

the-waterboy-farmer-fran.gif

Followed by:

McJesus:

joe-m-cigar-in-bed-gif.gif

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!

The Pacific Edmonton just got easier to play against over the next 8 years.

Edited by Rocket-68

Fair value for a top 3 forward in the league. 

That being said I'm so glad he didn't take a discount. 

Now we need Mcdiver to demand more than Draisaitl and Nurse to continue playing terrible overpaid hockey and Bouchard also wanting a huge piece of the pie and then we're all set. 

If Bouch caves and signs a discounted deal, it will help Edmonton immensely. 

The best thing we have going in our favor is that Edm is an absolute crap hole so I don't see anyone taking a discount to stay there. Only person might be Bouch because he is an RFA and might sign short term bridge to get him into UFA so he can either GTFO or get paid at that point. 

30 minutes ago, Sneakystink said:

I think he's worth the money. Read somewhere that he has accumulated 2nd most points in the last 9 years. The problem is the situation they have and the smart move would have been to trade him 

When Miller signed for as much as he did, a lot of people were shocked at the number. His contract looks really good right now with the way things have gone. If Miller had to re-up this summer, that number would have been a lot more than just 8 million with the way top performer contracts have been trending.

You can't speak as to what "would have" happened with Miller "if". Miller loves it here, his family does too. He has faith in this team. He's been allowed to play a role that he thrives in. He and Tocchet have a great working relationship.

Miller's smart...he's not JUST after the $$. Sure, it's a top priority for players but they also do factor in other things.

Over half Leon's goals come on the pp...playing with who? Oh right.

Worth the $$ is in the eye of the beholder. Leon'll be 37 when this contract expires. People SCREAMED about JT's age...Leon turns 29 next month.

• Like 3

Seems like Draisaitl didn't take a discount.  So that means Bouchard won't take one either.  And neither will McDavid.

Bouchard probably wants at least what Dahlin is getting, maybe more.  So he's in at between $11-12 million.  McDavid is going to want ALOT more than Draisaitl.  I would say between $17-18 million.

So, we are looking at potentially all 3 players earning upwards of $44 million combined.  Add $9 million for Nurse and you have $53 million for 4 players when the cap will be around $100 million.  Ouch.  

That means only $47 million will ne available for the rest of the 20 players...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Oh man... Their cap situation is bad ...

When comparing this year vs next.. 

Forwards 

Next year Edm has 750k in capspace but still has to sign or replace Perry, Skinner Brown and Ryan to ice the exact same roster. 

For defence they have 5m to sign Bouchard and Emberson 

This is to basically dress the exact same roster as this year which isn't good enough to win a Cup. 

5.75m to sign or replace

Perry Skinner Brown Ryan Bouchard and Emberson. 

I wonder how much the cap is going up becuase they need it to go up at least 10m to sign all these guys. 

To think their depth would be even more diluted is hilarious to think about. 

At this point, they need to trade Nurse for like 3 first round picks and no cap cap retainment. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3