[SIGNING] Edmonton extends Leon Draisaitl 8 years $14 million AAV

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seems like Draisaitl didn't take a discount.  So that means Bouchard won't take one either.  And neither will McDavid.

Bouchard probably wants at least what Dahlin is getting, maybe more.  So he's in at between $11-12 million.  McDavid is going to want ALOT more than Draisaitl.  I would say between $17-18 million.

So, we are looking at potentially all 3 players earning upwards of $44 million combined.  Add $9 million for Nurse and you have $53 million for 4 players when the cap will be around $100 million.  Ouch.  

That means only $47 million will ne available for the rest of the 20 players...

It really helps that Edmonton as a city is a hell hole and no one wants to take a discount to stay there. (just like Buffalo) 

Nuge really did them a solid. Only fair deal on that team

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Darius said:

They are gonna have around 50 million tied up in 4 players when Bouchard and McDavid sign.

The holes in their roster will be a revolving door filled by 30+yr old UFAs on short term deals who think they can go to Edmonton for a year and win a cup.

If you take emotion out of this equation wouldnt it be better to trade Drai for a kings ransom?  They can probably overhaul that defence and stock their cupboards with one trade.

Edmonton is the new Toronto.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Oh man... Their cap situation is bad ...

When comparing this year vs next.. 

Forwards 

Next year Edm has 750k in capspace but still has to sign or replace Perry, Skinner Brown and Ryan to ice the exact same roster. 

For defence they have 5m to sign Bouchard and Emberson 

This is to basically dress the exact same roster as this year which isn't good enough to win a Cup. 

5.75m to sign or replace

Perry Skinner Brown Ryan Bouchard and Emberson. 

I wonder how much the cap is going up becuase they need it to go up at least 10m to sign all these guys. 

To think their depth would be even more diluted is hilarious to think about. 

At this point, they need to trade Nurse for like 3 first round picks and no cap cap retainment. 

Cap will be $93 million next year, so they get $5 million more to spend.  They can also buy out Kane, which saves them $2.6 million.  So add another $7.6 million.  That allows them to re-sign Bouchard and have a few million left over to sign some scrubs for the bottom pairing D and the 3rd and 4th lines.  They will be a top heavy team for the next 8 years.  Not sure they can win a cup like that, but I guess they will try.  McDavid and Draissaitl will probably burn out sooner than expected.  I would say by age 31 both will be overworked and will have peaked.  So they have maybe 4 years max to win a cup...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Cap will be $93 million next year, so they get $5 million more to spend.  They can also buy out Kane, which saves them $2.6 million.  So add another $7.6 million.  That allows them to re-sign Bouchard and have a few million left over to sign some scrubs for the bottom pairing D and the 3rd and 4th lines.  They will be a top heavy team for the next 8 years.  Not sure they can win a cup like that, but I guess they will try.  McDavid and Draissaitl will probably burn out sooner than expected.  I would say by age 31 both will be overworked and will have peaked.  So they have maybe 4 years max to win a cup...

This is too good... 

Removing Kane makes their already soft roster softer. 

And then replacing bottom 6 and depth D with a bunch of AHL calibre players is music to my ears. 

I don't know how they can get rid of Nurse but they almost have to. 

If they lose Drais or Mcdavid for any stretch of the season L, they'd be at risk of missing the playoffs. 

On D

Ekholm is good but aging. 

Bouch is overrated and glad he's going to sign for 8m (ish) 

Rest are pretty bad. 

Mcdavid and Drais can't play 30min a night each. Sure fire way to get injured. 

As a canucks fan this is very amusing to watch. 

• Cheers 2

The biggest problem for Edmonton is that Nurse contract, given he's got a NMC for the next three seasons they can't even just ship him somewhere without his consent. Players with NMC's have been moved, but it'd put Nurse in the drivers seat regarding any potential destination. He'd be pricy to move though, no doubt. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

The biggest problem for Edmonton is that Nurse contract, given he's got a NMC for the next three seasons they can't even just ship him somewhere without his consent. Players with NMC's have been moved, but it'd put Nurse in the drivers seat regarding any potential destination. He'd be pricy to move though, no doubt. 

Lol totally forgot he had a NMC. 

What a bone head contract. 

Overpaid immensely with an NMC to boot. 

Who's Nurse's agent? The guy needs a raise! 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

He got his, by getting Nurse that deal.

iirc 3% of the deals go to the agent?- I'm guessing that is a every year payment?

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

This is too good... 

And then replacing bottom 6 and depth D with a bunch of AHL calibre players is music to my ears. 

I don't know how they can get rid of Nurse but they almost have to. 

If they lose Drais or Mcdavid for any stretch of the season L, they'd be at risk of missing the playoffs. 

On D

Ekholm is good but aging. 

Bouch is overrated and glad he's going to sign for 8m (ish) 

Rest are pretty bad. 

Mcdavid and Drais can't play 30min a night each. Sure fire way to get injured. 

As a canucks fan this is very amusing to watch. 

Nurse has a NMC.  They cannot trade him unless he wants to be traded.  So he isn't going anywhere.  He's BFF's with McDavid and was in his wedding party.

Kane will be gone either way by end of next season, so like you said Edmonton will be as soft as butter, pillowy soft really.  They will get eaten alive in the playoffs IMO.

Ekholm has 2 years left and will be 36 by end of contract.  He might be able to play until he is 38.  So like I said, they got 4 years maximum to try and win a cup.  After that, they are fooked...

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

He's probably a top 4 guy despite the flack he gets, but the problem is he was paid like a #1 instead of maybe a #2-3 back in 2021. He's not a top pairing guy in Edmonton, if he played like one maybe the deal wouldn't look so cumbersome. It'd cost Edmonton to move him, it wouldn't be cheap. Thing is, he probably wouldn't want to go to a team with the space for him such as San Jose or Columbus. 

Bouchard will probably get the 10-11M other higher end young D are getting. Back to back 40+ point seasons before his 80+ point season last season. Thing is, he doesn't have the lengthier track record of a guy like Dahlin, who has played on a weaker roster in Buffalo. Be interesting to see what Bouchard actually is next season. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seems like Draisaitl didn't take a discount.  So that means Bouchard won't take one either.  And neither will McDavid.

Bouchard probably wants at least what Dahlin is getting, maybe more.  So he's in at between $11-12 million.  McDavid is going to want ALOT more than Draisaitl.  I would say between $17-18 million.

So, we are looking at potentially all 3 players earning upwards of $44 million combined.  Add $9 million for Nurse and you have $53 million for 4 players when the cap will be around $100 million.  Ouch.  

That means only $47 million will ne available for the rest of the 20 players...

It takes a lot to move to Alberta. I could double my salary if I moved there and I still won't do it.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Edmonton would have to trade their next 5 first round picks to off load Nurse 

that would almost be tempting.... then send him off to Robidas island. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

They took out big, physical Kane to replace him with the non-physical and former concussed Skinner. Also losing a giant on D (Desharnais).  Good job Bowman 😅 

Maybe this is why Draisaitl demanded so much money, 'cause he knows he's going to take a beating this season. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's probably a top 4 guy despite the flack he gets, but the problem is he was paid like a #1 instead of maybe a #2-3 back in 2021. He's not a top pairing guy in Edmonton, if he played like one maybe the deal wouldn't look so cumbersome. It'd cost Edmonton to move him, it wouldn't be cheap. Thing is, he probably wouldn't want to go to a team with the space for him such as San Jose or Columbus. 

Bouchard will probably get the 10-11M other higher end young D are getting. Back to back 40+ point seasons before his 80+ point season last season. Thing is, he doesn't have the lengthier track record of a guy like Dahlin, who has played on a weaker roster in Buffalo. Be interesting to see what Bouchard actually is next season. 

Most likely, Bouchard waits until next summer to sign an extension.  He knows he will rack up the points again and probably hit 80+.  That means he will get Dahlin money, if not more.  $11-12 million would be my guess...

I hate the Oilers more than anything but let’s be real, it’s easier to fill the rest of your roster with plugs then it is to find the 2 best players in the world. Leon staying is bad news for us and a major obstacle for our path to the final with this core. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Most likely, Bouchard waits until next summer to sign an extension.  He knows he will rack up the points again and probably hit 80+.  That means he will get Dahlin money, if not more.  $11-12 million would be my guess...

I expect he'll probably at least begin the season without an extension, if it looks like he's coming back down to earth offensively I could see his side wanting to get a deal done sooner than later. What'd really be interesting is if his projections had him somewhere more in the 60ish point range than the 40 or 80+ he's demonstrated thus far. 

11-12M is probably a good ballpark though. 

I do wonder if Draisaitl hitting 14M will have some folks softening on Pettersson getting 11.6M though, their difference in age is quite stark despite Draisaitl having the track record of being a top 5 sort of franchise player forward. Pettersson will be 26 in November, Draisaitl will be 29 in October. Elite tier players tend to age better, but that term.. oof. 

Could see Hughes and Makar getting Draisaitl money in a few years though, maybe a tad more depending on how the cap keeps jumping.

Edited by Coconuts

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I hate the Oilers more than anything but let’s be real, it’s easier to fill the rest of your roster with plugs then it is to find the 2 best players in the world. Leon staying is bad news for us and a major obstacle for our path to the final with this core. 

Play LaBamba baby! 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I expect he'll probably at least begin the season without an extension, if it looks like he's coming back down to earth offensively I could see his side wanting to get a deal done sooner than later. What'd really be interesting is if his projections had him somewhere more in the 60ish point range than the 40 or 80+ he's demonstrated thus far. 

11-12M is probably a good ballpark though. 

I do wonder if Draisaitl hitting 14M will have some folks softening on Pettersson getting 11.6M though, their difference in age is quite stark despite Draisaitl having the track record of being a top 5 sort of franchise player forward. Pettersson will be 26 in November, Draisaitl will be 29 in October. Elite tier players tend to age better, but that term.. oof. 

Could see Hughes and Makar getting Draisaitl money in a few years though, maybe a tad more depending on how the cap keeps jumping.

Ya, I don't see Hughes or Makar signing for less.

Man I hope the EP looks like a steal in a few years.  That would bode well for the teams chances at a Cup. 

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

And on that very same not, Leon’s contract is very bad news for the Oilers hopes of a Stanley cup. 
one player in the history of the Salary cap has won a cup while taking up more than 15% of the salary cap. That was Crosby and that was only because Malkin was on the final year of his ELC. 2 players don’t make up a team. Their major obstacle for their own path to the finals is going to be depth which is directly related to cap space. 
Look at Toronto, an insane amount of offence that hasn’t won a single game in the 2nd round and only advanced once.

1 injury and their hopes are completely crushed. Their offence nearly completely dried up when Draisaitl got hurt and teams were able to stifle McDavids offence

Right now 

McDavid+Draisaitl=26.5mil

Hughes+Miller+Pettersson=26.5roughlt
Hughes+Demko+Miller+DeBrusk=26mil roughly

They will lose depth (not that they really had that) and they will have to part ways with one big piece at some point. Bouchard, Skinner (overrated) or someone wants out eventually. McDavid or Draisaitl. The shortcomings will begin to add up and their prime will begin to fade, their careers will begin to wind down and their opportunities to win a cup will shrink. COVID fucked them so hard it’s not even funny.

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Man I hope the EP looks like a steal in a few years.  That would bode well for the teams chances at a Cup. 

Even if he's not a steal, I reckon it'll be good value as he gets older. He should be approaching his peak prime years right now. 

I fully expect both Hughes and Makar to go for the money, as they should imo. I remember both him and Pettersson sitting out, he'll get his. 

But that's normal now, I think some folks are still trying to wrap their heads around cap hits of 10M+. 

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

They might, defensemen often sign for less than forwards. Think about what we just signed Hronek for compared to what Guentzel signed for.

That said, I can see both Hughes and Makar sign in the $13-$14M range. Summer of 2026 will be very interesting though and might become a "who flinches first" thing. McDavid is likely looking for $15M+ next summer.

24 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

So why would you choose their goal song as a username? 

I think someone is either in the closet, or making the all-time most pathetic attempt at trolling..

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

I think someone is either in the closet, or making the all-time most pathetic attempt at trolling..

Perhaps the name came before, the song got used  to celebrate goals?

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

It takes a lot to move to Alberta. I could double my salary if I moved there and I still won't do it.

I just did it last week and I’m so jazzed about it!   
I got a 25 acre farm with a beautiful huge house for less than I sold my Langley townhouse for.  
Also a big greasy pay increase. 

Personally, I like the cold so Let’s Go!  Lol

21 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

I'm pretty sure that LaBamba had that username on the old CDC for years before it became the Oilers' goal song.

• Vintage 2