[SIGNING] Edmonton extends Leon Draisaitl 8 years $14 million AAV

42 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I expect he'll probably at least begin the season without an extension, if it looks like he's coming back down to earth offensively I could see his side wanting to get a deal done sooner than later. What'd really be interesting is if his projections had him somewhere more in the 60ish point range than the 40 or 80+ he's demonstrated thus far. 

11-12M is probably a good ballpark though. 

I do wonder if Draisaitl hitting 14M will have some folks softening on Pettersson getting 11.6M though, their difference in age is quite stark despite Draisaitl having the track record of being a top 5 sort of franchise player forward. Pettersson will be 26 in November, Draisaitl will be 29 in October. Elite tier players tend to age better, but that term.. oof. 

Could see Hughes and Makar getting Draisaitl money in a few years though, maybe a tad more depending on how the cap keeps jumping.

Once Petey passes Draisaitl in points and gets some serious Selke votes, his contract will look like a bargain.  Draisaitl had 106 points last season. Seems he’s already peaked after hitting 128 points. Meanwhile, Petey had 102 two seasons ago and at 25 years old is just starting to get going. 

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

They took out big, physical Kane to replace him with the non-physical and former concussed Skinner. Also losing a giant on D (Desharnais).  Good job Bowman 😅 

Maybe this is why Draisaitl demanded so much money, 'cause he knows he's going to take a beating this season. 

They did replace Desharnais with Brown

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Once Petey passes Draisaitl in points and gets some serious Selke votes, his contract will look like a bargain.  Draisaitl had 106 points last season. Seems he’s already peaked after hitting 128 points. Meanwhile, Petey had 102 two seasons ago and at 25 years old is just starting to get going. 

I guess we'll see, the proof will eventually be in the pudding. Is he the regular 100+ point sort of guy or is he going to be more a high 80's to 100 point guy? Either way the contract will probably age well. Some of last season can be blamed on linemates, but we'll see how things play out. 

As for the Selke bit, dunno, I get the sense Barkov will probably have a death grip on it for a while the same way Bergeron did, he's absolutely the player to beat for the forseeable future. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

This is too good... 

Removing Kane makes their already soft roster softer. 

And then replacing bottom 6 and depth D with a bunch of AHL calibre players is music to my ears. 

I don't know how they can get rid of Nurse but they almost have to. 

If they lose Drais or Mcdavid for any stretch of the season L, they'd be at risk of missing the playoffs. 

On D

Ekholm is good but aging. 

Bouch is overrated and glad he's going to sign for 8m (ish) 

Rest are pretty bad. 

Mcdavid and Drais can't play 30min a night each. Sure fire way to get injured. 

As a canucks fan this is very amusing to watch. 

Nurse 2 firsts a second to calgary

Andersson with 2 mil retained to oilers

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

Oct 27, 1995 birthdate

thus he will be 29 early in this season

add 8 years.

$14 mill is a lot for a 36-37 year old hockey player 

yep, same expiry age as jt's "albatross" contract. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He’s already there.

IMG_0054.thumb.jpeg.41e72af10e68ddf1615caed5feb7a1ed.jpeg

IMG_0055.thumb.jpeg.26c6dbb3fd007c2efe05d53e27cf06ee.jpeg
Leon gets 2 minutes more of ice time , Pettersson produces at nearly the exact same rate. We got a good deal on Pettersson

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

He’s already there.

IMG_0054.thumb.jpeg.41e72af10e68ddf1615caed5feb7a1ed.jpeg

IMG_0055.thumb.jpeg.26c6dbb3fd007c2efe05d53e27cf06ee.jpeg
Leon gets 2 minutes more or overtime, Pettersson produces at nearly the exact same rate. We got a good deal on Pettersson

Thanks Anthony.  It looks like Petey has already surpassed Draisaitl in goals per 60 minutes as well.  In 2-3 years when the cap is $100 million and there are 3rd liners making $6 million, Petey's contract will look real good.

The only problem will be that Hughes is up in 3 years.  His contract could be a problem.  Will be a similar number to Draisaitl IMO...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thanks Anthony.  It looks like Petey has already surpassed Draisaitl in goals per 60 minutes as well.  In 2-3 years when the cap is $100 million and there are 3rd liners making $6 million, Petey's contract will look real good.

The only problem will be that Hughes is up in 3 years.  His contract could be a problem.  Will be a similar number to Draisaitl IMO...

Once the cap starts rising it only gets better for us. It’s going to take 4-5 years for the cap to catch up to McDavid and Draisaitls contracts and by then it’s they are probably slightly “underpaid” 

Hughes next contract won’t be so much of an issue because our contracts are all well staggered. Petey+Miller+DeBrusk+Hronek are all under contract, we will have plenty of cap space that year PLUS guys like Willander and Lekkermaki on ELC’s. 
It will also be interesting to see what Boeser and Demko’s next deals will be, which will obviously take way some of our cap space going into Hughes next deal. But as long as we are a contender or highly competitive and the C is on that man’s chest, you can bet his pride in winning a cup will come with a discount on his next deal.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Once the cap starts rising it only gets better for us. It’s going to take 4-5 years for the cap to catch up to McDavid and Draisaitls contracts and by then it’s they are probably slightly “underpaid” 

Hughes next contract won’t be so much of an issue because our contracts are all well staggered. Petey+Miller+DeBrusk+Hronek are all under contract, we will have plenty of cap space that year PLUS guys like Willander and Lekkermaki on ELC’s. 
It will also be interesting to see what Boeser and Demko’s next deals will be, which will obviously take way some of our cap space going into Hughes next deal. But as long as we are a contender or highly competitive and the C is on that man’s chest, you can bet his pride in winning a cup will come with a discount on his next deal.

I think the plan is to win the cup before Hughes signs his next deal.  Then it won't even matter.  Stanely Cup either in 2025 or 2026.  Book it...

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I think the plan is to win the cup before Hughes signs his next deal.  Then it won't even matter.  Stanely Cup either in 2025 or 2026.  Book it...

I think we are in a great spot to win 2 cups within the next 5 years. 
if you look at the league, a lot of the top teams are now old and headed downward. Then there is a lot of teams in the middle with no real game breakers. Then you have a fair bit of teams going through growth and then teams rebuilding. We are team just hitting its prime, we are young, we’ve endured our growing pains, we have legitimate vezina quality goaltending, a Norris, selke/hart caliber players in the top 6, 4 actual lines of depth and a great coaching staff PLUS guys coming up with a ton of potential such as Lekkermaki, Willander, Dpetey etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

So why would you choose their goal song as a username? 

I think someone is either in the closet, or making the all-time most pathetic attempt at trolling..

I’ve been Labamba on CDC for like a decade tough guy. 

Edited by LaBamba

11 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

If we can had half of next season's cap increase to Boeser's new contract (like at least 2.5M) and half the following year to demko (another 2.5 or 3M) then we have room for the next Hughes contract.

7 core players on long term deals, taking us past 2030 at less than Oilers are paying for 4

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think it'll be a problem, the same way I didn't view Pettersson's deal as a problem. We're spoiled by the fact that we have a franchise D for the first time in Canucks history, having to pay the piper is a good thing. We saw it a bit when Pettersson signed his deal, folks want to have the high end young talent but don't want to pay for their production and accolades. 

Even with a discount of sorts Hughes probably comes in around at least 13.5M imo. We should be thanking our lucky stars we'll have a premier top of the league sort of D who can command 13-14M. Lot of cap off the books between now and then too, only five deals currently go beyond 26-27. Boeser and Demko are the only guys I'd consider sure things to get extensions beyond that point too. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1