[SIGNING] Edmonton extends Leon Draisaitl 8 years $14 million AAV

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think it'll be a problem, the same way I didn't view Pettersson's deal as a problem. We're spoiled by the fact that we have a franchise D for the first time in Canucks history, having to pay the piper is a good thing. We saw it a bit when Pettersson signed his deal, folks want to have the high end young talent but don't want to pay for their production and accolades. 

Even with a discount of sorts Hughes probably comes in around at least 13.5M imo. We should be thanking our lucky stars we'll have a premier top of the league sort of D who can command 13-14M. Lot of cap off the books between now and then too, only five deals currently go beyond 26-27. Boeser and Demko are the only guys I'd consider sure things to get extensions beyond that point too. 

Boeser could also be a trade chip at some point too as Lekkermaki is developing and eventually able to earn/maintain a regular spot in the top 6. Which increase cap space and allows us to add another top 6 possibly or another top 4

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I just did it last week and I’m so jazzed about it!   
I got a 25 acre farm with a beautiful huge house for less than I sold my Langley townhouse for.  
Also a big greasy pay increase. 

Personally, I like the cold so Let’s Go!  Lol

I like the cold better than the rain. I can't stand rain. It's the short summers I don't like.

Let me know how it goes I might have to suck it up one of these days.

8 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Boeser could also be a trade chip at some point too as Lekkermaki is developing and eventually able to earn/maintain a regular spot in the top 6. Which increase cap space and allows us to add another top 6 possibly or another top 4

Maybe, but I'd personally be a bit surprised if Boeser is moved during his prime if signed 

Boeser's never had any kind of trade protection on any of his deals thus far, I'd be a bit surprised if that continued as well, there's been some pretty intense trade speculation in the past so I could see him pushing for a NMC

I like Lekkermaki as a prospect but it'd take quite the development to have him turning into a bona fide NHL top 6 winger sooner than later, we'll see what happens 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Lekk's entry level value is going to be huge value. But allow us to keep veteran, goal scoring winger (only one currently) so pay Boeser the money for the rest of the time we have solid players. Lekk might be just as good as Boeser, so you have a RW for Miller and a RW for Petey.

If Hoggs keeps getting better you have a LW for Miller and Debrusk (hopefully) with Petey.

All set for then next 6 years or more.

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, but I'd personally be a bit surprised if Boeser is moved during his prime if signed 

Boeser's never had any kind of trade protection on any of his deals thus far, I'd be a bit surprised if that continued as well, there's been some pretty intense trade speculation in the past so I could see him pushing for a NMC

I like Lekkermaki as a prospect but it'd take quite the development to have him turning into a bona fide NHL top 6 winger sooner than later, we'll see what happens 

3-4 years Boeser will be looked at as a trade candidate as Lekkermaki is either worthy of the spot in the top 6 or perhaps he’s a middle 6. Or worst case scenario he’s a bust, but I’m only speaking in terms of what would be a reason to move Boeser and that would be if Lekkermaki can fill those shoes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Lekk's entry level value is going to be huge value. But allow us to keep veteran, goal scoring winger (only one currently) so pay Boeser the money for the rest of the time we have solid players. Lekk might be just as good as Boeser, so you have a RW for Miller and a RW for Petey.

If Hoggs keeps getting better you have a LW for Miller and Debrusk (hopefully) with Petey.

Yea true but we also have to consider what our cap space is during Hughes negotiations. I mean I don’t see why we couldn’t have our cake and eat it too realistically. Lekk will be such a small cap hit to fit in and that could be squeezed in with one discounted deal from either Boeser or Hughes.

4 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

No doubt we must pay Boeser and personally I’m in big time favour of keeping him as long as possible after the way he has shaped his game under Tocchet, a 2 way player that was winning several key puck battles in OUR zone as well as the opposing end

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think it'll be a problem, the same way I didn't view Pettersson's deal as a problem. We're spoiled by the fact that we have a franchise D for the first time in Canucks history, having to pay the piper is a good thing. We saw it a bit when Pettersson signed his deal, folks want to have the high end young talent but don't want to pay for their production and accolades. 

Even with a discount of sorts Hughes probably comes in around at least 13.5M imo. We should be thanking our lucky stars we'll have a premier top of the league sort of D who can command 13-14M. Lot of cap off the books between now and then too, only five deals currently go beyond 26-27. Boeser and Demko are the only guys I'd consider sure things to get extensions beyond that point too. 

I'm not quiet there on Demko yet. If Silovs proves this year that he can handle the workload and doesn't regress, I might be inclined to make him our starter and look at trade options next summer. I'm a little concerned about Demko's knees and durability. I'd be open to seeing what he's worth on the open market if another kid behind Silovs starting to push for an NHL position.

I love what Demko can do in a game, but we can't get too bogged down on too many high end contracts.

38 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Luckily we have Miller at $8 million for 6 more years.  That contract will allow us to pay Hughes $13-14 million and not suffer too badly from it...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We give up too early on some younger players and trade em away, and then when they finally grow into thier game at Boeser's age people think they are more value as a trade chip.....

Jeez Brock had some nice goals.

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm not quiet there on Demko yet. If Silovs proves this year that he can handle the workload and doesn't regress, I might be inclined to make him our starter and look at trade options next summer. I'm a little concerned about Demko's knees and durability. I'd be open to seeing what he's worth on the open market if another kid behind Silovs starting to push for an NHL position.

I love what Demko can do in a game, but we can't get too bogged down on too many high end contracts.

I have my concerns about Demko's health, but I don't personally see Silovs as an heir apparent, I reckon he's probably more of a career backup sort of guy. Had a good stretch this past playoffs but it was still a small sample size, sometimes guys just get hot. Nothing wrong with that, every team needs a backup. 

Without a clear cut heir in the system I think a Demko signing is probably inevitable. 

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Luckily we have Miller at $8 million for 6 more years.  That contract will allow us to pay Hughes $13-14 million and not suffer too badly from it...

We'll see, the concern with his deal wasn't really that he'd immediately fall off a cliff, it was moreso about diminished returns as he ages. Maybe a rising cap mitigates some of that, we'll see how he does. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

3-4 years Boeser will be looked at as a trade candidate as Lekkermaki is either worthy of the spot in the top 6 or perhaps he’s a middle 6. Or worst case scenario he’s a bust, but I’m only speaking in terms of what would be a reason to move Boeser and that would be if Lekkermaki can fill those shoes

I think in 3-4 years Boeser's new contract will look like VALUE like Millers has turned into.

And hopefully EP40 is earning his too.

16 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

We give up too early on some younger players and trade em away, and then when they finally grow into thier game at Boeser's age people think they are more value as a trade chip.....

I think the bigger issue is that we simply haven't been drafting enough high end youth regularly, and that we've typically failed to get NHL'ers out of guys who aren't first round picks for a while now. 

Drafting and development have long been issues for the Canucks, unfortunately it's still too early for us to have seen the fruits of the revamped development side of the Canucks organization at the NHL level. 

Drafting Willander and Lekkerimaki was great, but we need more of that. It'd also be nice if management would actually draft in the second round more often too, that's been an issue that's plagued the Canucks for at least the past couple decades. 

As it stands our prospect pool still leaves quite a bit to be desired. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I think in 3-4 years Boeser's new contract will look like VALUE like Millers has turned into.

And hopefully EP40 is earning his too.

Yes it will, but that’s only 2-3 years into his next deal and Boeser will be 30-31 by then. The plateau has ended and the decline has begun. At that point, he still has value in a trade.

Considering EP was injured and playing with shit line mates the majority of the season and only 13.5 mins of TOI 5v5… he has most definitely already earned that just based off his g/60 and p/60…. If he was healthy and had decent linemates, he is outplaying that deal.

Draisaitl with 2mins more 5v5 and better linemates, more favourable offensive zone starts, has a slightly lower g/60 and a slightly higher p/60. Yet he’s about to make 2.4 mil more than Petey

Edited by AnthonyG

30 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Yea true but we also have to consider what our cap space is during Hughes negotiations. I mean I don’t see why we couldn’t have our cake and eat it too realistically. Lekk will be such a small cap hit to fit in and that could be squeezed in with one discounted deal from either Boeser or Hughes.

I think that because we only have Boeser & Hogs next year for a raise, Demko the year after, with the Cap increases we can cover it.

Poolman contract falls off this year and covers the increase in OEL cap hit for two years, then it drops right when we have to sign Hughes (likely that 2.5 OEL drop plus 6 or 7M cap raise allows us to pay Hughes 8 years)

• Upvote 1

Just now, EastCoastExpress said:

I think that because we only have Boeser & Hogs next year for a raise, Demko the year after, with the Cap increases we can cover it.

Poolman contract falls off this year and covers the increase in OEL cap hit for two years, then it drops right when we have to sign Hughes (likely that 2.5 OEL drop plus 6 or 7M cap raise allows us to pay Hughes 8 years)

I think there will be one of Brock or Demko traded as we have young guys knocking at the door.

We can then add a center or a D or two.

This group likes to shake things up and are good at doing it.

My thoughts on Leon singing are well mixed.

I thought he could get the same with better linemates.But stayed loyal meaning suffering as to much money for top guys.

He could have went anywhere like Boston,Florida, canes and more then likely been a contender longer.

10 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Well hindsight never loses. But probability is our best bet.

People can say McCann, but you follow the trade tree and his trade value dropped each time to the point where Toronto paid to give him away for free. There was clearly an issue with him.

Forsling being another one fans complained about, but Cledenning was a high 2nd round pick where as Forsling was a 5th round pick. Not only that the more important thing was trajectory showing Clendenning was much further ahead in development and putting up great numbers in the minors aaaaaand he is a RHD whereas Forsling is a LHD. 

6 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I think there will be one of Brock or Demko traded as we have young guys knocking at the door.

We can then add a center or a D or two.

This group likes to shake things up and are good at doing it.

Properly developing our youth would be using them on the 3rd pair D, and bottom 6, instead of the constant UFA overpayments for a rental.

Keep the core group on long term contracts that age really well as the Cap goes up....

Stop wasting futures to get bottom 6 guys mid season, bring up that youth to fill the bottom 6.

I do like what they have done, but there was no one "knocking" quite yet. This year.... maybe!

1 minute ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Properly developing our youth would be using them on the 3rd pair D, and bottom 6, instead of the constant UFA overpayments for a rental.

Keep the core group on long term contracts that age really well as the Cap goes up....

Stop wasting futures to get bottom 6 guys mid season, bring up that youth to fill the bottom 6.

I do like what they have done, but there was no one "knocking" quite yet. This year.... maybe!

Well let's see what Bains and Karlsson can do,plus unknowns like EPD.

Will be nice to see a few crack the lineup in the next year or two.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Fair enough. My bad if that's the case.

Might be worth changing now.

Fuck no. Don't change LaBamba. That's as dumb as asking Anthrax to change their name after the anthrax postal scare.