[SIGNING] Edmonton extends Leon Draisaitl 8 years $14 million AAV

4 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

My point is JT is an 11M player now.

I sure hope we dont give away Boeser if his camp wants 9M

Boes is a PPG player in the playoffs. As he approaches Miller's age when miller joined, what do you think Boeser's ceiling is?

We will re-sign Boeser. All of Petey’s buddies get re-signed. 8x8 will be the deal. 

Boeser could get 50 goals. He might do it this year. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We will re-sign Boeser. All of Petey’s buddies get re-signed. 8x8 will be the deal. 

Boeser could get 50 goals. He might do it this year. 

If they extend him now maybe 8x8.

But what happens if they wait and he gets 50G, 50A.

I really hope Brock is having a good summer but misses Vancouver and wants to deal NOW,

Or else Minnesota grabs him on UFA for 12mx7 on UFA next july.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

IMO, the Oilers would be a better all around team with Miller than with Draisaitl. Offensively, there isn’t a huge difference. Miller would get 120 points playing with McDavid and playing on that PP. 

The difference would be defensively, killing penalties, hitting, fighting, etc. 

Plus, Edmonton would save $6 million in cap space to allow them to get another top 4 Dman. 

Oilers fans dream..... or nightmare when they have to play the Canucks this season!

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I dunno how Edmonton's going to keep Bouchard, Draisaitl and eventually McDavid all under the cap and also field a competitive team on the ice. 

I mean, I guess the team could find a way to keep all three, but what good is that going to do if the rest of the roster sucks? 

Toronto model has worked great so why not copy it, right? Right? 
Yes Stan, please do have your 4 top earners chew up 45-50% of your cap space. It might make our pathway a little easier. Nurse is their only option to find some breathing room and that’s gonna be a tough move. Worst part is they are the oldest team in the league and just lost two young promising players to offer sheets when they could have signed them previously for a fraction of their new contracts. 

So happy we have the  mgmt group we do now. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I dunno how Edmonton's going to keep Bouchard, Draisaitl and eventually McDavid all under the cap and also field a competitive team on the ice. 

I mean, I guess the team could find a way to keep all three, but what good is that going to do if the rest of the roster sucks? 

In 2025-26 they are going to have to pay Bouchard somewhere near $10m AAV. Assuming the cap rises to $92m, as projected, this would leave $4.6m in cap space to replace/resign 4 forwards (Skinner, Perry, Brown, Ryan) and 1 Dman (Emberson) at an average AVV of $0.92m. My guess is that Perry and Ryan retire, and Skinner moves elsewhere. They should be able to find 4 league minimum players for their bottom six (4 x $775k = $3.1m), which leaves $1.5m to bridge Emberson for 1 year (assuming he is worth it). Not really in cap hell, but definitely going to make it difficult to ice a competitive roster.

In 2026-27, things really change for the Oilers cap situation. Even assuming cap rises to $97m and they have resigned McDavid ($16m?) and Bouchard ($10m?) by then, they would have 8 players under contract and cap space of only $32m to sign another 14 players. This is not a lot of cap space to sign 8 forwards, 4 Dmen and 2 goalies.

They are really hoping to win in the next 2 seasons before the shit hits the fan in 2026-27. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

43 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

In 2025-26 they are going to have to pay Bouchard somewhere near $10m AAV.

No one is forcing them to pay 10M for an ECHL quality player who refuses to learn how to play his position, but I hope the Oilers lock that bum up long-term.  Bouchard's the kind of guy you love to play against but hate to have on your team.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

No one is forcing them to pay 10M for an ECHL quality player who refuses to learn how to play his position, but I hope the Oilers lock that bum up long-term.  Bouchard's the kind of guy you love to play against but hate to have on your team.

Can’t see him wanting less than Nurse 😂 be interesting to see what they do. After one more season they might have to bite the bullet and buy him out. Have a big cap penalty on Nurse for years to come much like we do with OEL.

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Can’t see him wanting less than Nurse 😂 be interesting to see what they do. After one more season they might have to bite the bullet and buy him out. Have a big cap penalty on Nurse for years to come much like we do with OEL.

If they buy Nurse out next off season, then this is their cap hit over time:

image.png.6948a485a989a524ffdce2338900f99a.png

They get a good saving in the first season straight after the buyout, but they are still on the hook for $8.3-9.1m (shown in red) for the 4 years after that. May as well have his full $9.25m cap hit with those minimal savings, as it would cost more than $9.25m for his buyout + a replacement player.

And since 2026-27 is projected to be the Oilers first real cap crunch season, a buyout on Nurse does nothing useful for their cap situation.

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Yep, nailed it.

Miller plays with his heart, not his inflated head. Leon - king of the slewfoots, needs dirty play to elevate his game. Oh yeah, and a guy named McDavid.

I'd take Miller ANY day over Leon the Loser. (duh)

Miller is heading towards the rafters. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

The same guy who outplayed our Norris winning D in the same series.    Know you've got a boner for him and Reilly plus a few other NHL d's, the kids only 24 and been making a name for himself since 22.   Plays his size, RHD and 5th in Norris votes (rightly so, 18 goals 82 points, and a gaudy  plus 34, tops on his team and yes Ekholm helps with that, he also helps Ekholm or did last year anyways), we'd be stoked to have him on our team too.   He's just doing exactly what his prospect bio predicted he'd do at some point.   A little early.    Yes he likes to give the puck away, 23 times more than he took it away.     The sky's the limit for both him, Dobson and QHs..Dahlin.   Quite the class (Boqvist) for NHL D's, maybe the best all-time once it's all said and done.    These guys won't peak until they are 29-30.    And the ones who don't get injuries, likely end up doing great until their mid 30's, that's the way it works.   Of their core, Bouchard is probably the most likeable player.    That part is telling. 

Edit:  32 points as a D...guys like Al Mac and Brian Leetch won the Conn Smythe with stats like that.  6 goals, and plus 14 in 25 games.     That's the 3rd most productive single playoff season all-time.   Only Coffey and Leetch managed more.   

Quality of Teammates may be a factor. Lol.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Miller is heading towards the rafters. 

Millsy had is issues and used to let his emotions get the best of him (I called it passion), We had a lot of people here that were calling for his head to trade him when the stick/net thing happened..Having said that, Miller is no bitch like Dry...At least he admitted, adjusted and probably became a better player/person for it..He's easily become a fan fav and it so sweet to see things come full circle for him. That kinda passion and leadership is what you need to get to the promised land. 

I think he'll be more amped up this coming season after he said himself how he realized how much hockey means to Vancity....All for a very good contract.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 2

Most peoples future analysis here seems to assume that mcdavid is going to re-sign after two more years of losing in the playoffs with the exact same team thats progressively getting worse. Id jump ship if if i was him and the team didnt win both for legacy and the pursuit of the cup. 

• ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

The same guy who outplayed our Norris winning D in the same series.    Know you've got a boner for him and Reilly plus a few other NHL d's, the kids only 24 and been making a name for himself since 22.   Plays his size, RHD and 5th in Norris votes (rightly so, 18 goals 82 points, and a gaudy  plus 34, tops on his team and yes Ekholm helps with that, he also helps Ekholm or did last year anyways), we'd be stoked to have him on our team too.   He's just doing exactly what his prospect bio predicted he'd do at some point.   A little early.    Yes he likes to give the puck away, 23 times more than he took it away.     The sky's the limit for both him, Dobson and QHs..Dahlin.   Quite the class (Boqvist) for NHL D's, maybe the best all-time once it's all said and done.    These guys won't peak until they are 29-30.    And the ones who don't get injuries, likely end up doing great until their mid 30's, that's the way it works.   Of their core, Bouchard is probably the most likeable player.    That part is telling. 

Edit:  32 points as a D...guys like Al Mac and Brian Leetch won the Conn Smythe with stats like that.  6 goals, and plus 14 in 25 games.     That's the 3rd most productive single playoff season all-time.   Only Coffey and Leetch managed more.   

I don't care how many points Bouchard puts up, his play in his own zone simply isn't acceptable.  How does a coach keep the rest of the D accountable when Bouchard is allowed to not even make an attempt to stop hurting the team in his own zone?    I sure as hell wouldn't want to see that pylon disgracing the sport in a Canucks jersey.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I don't care how many points Bouchard puts up, his play in his own zone simply isn't acceptable.  How does a coach keep the rest of the D accountable when Bouchard is allowed to not even make an attempt to stop hurting the team in his own zone?    I sure as hell wouldn't want to see that pylon disgracing the sport in a Canucks jersey.

He's got Ekholm.   Another guy that rubbed me the wrong way was Adrian Aucion.   And Hedican, when comparing to Butcher, Babych and Murzyn (cement shoes and all) load of potential, sloppy in their own ends with bad pinches and net front stuff.   They both figured it out though. 

Bowman says the call to Draisaitl was the first call he made when he accepted the job as GM. Wow, to be a fly on the wall for that call.

Heya, it's Stan Bowman here. The owner left this big bag of cash on my desk and asked me to spread it around. I figured hey, let's overpay one of these bums instead and your name was the top of my list!

Come on down and see me. You write a number on a napkins while I slip into something a little more comfortable...

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Bowman says the call to Draisaitl was the first call he made when he accepted the job as GM. Wow, to be a fly on the wall for that call.

Heya, it's Stan Bowman here. The owner left this big bag of cash on my desk and asked me to spread it around. I figured hey, let's overpay one of these bums instead and your name was the top of my list!

Come on down and see me. You write a number on a napkins while I slip into something a little more comfortable...

Are we sure he's telling the truth and that his first call wasn't to the local middle school asking what time the end of the day  was?

• Haha 4