[SIGNING] Edmonton extends Leon Draisaitl 8 years $14 million AAV

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd be looking a trade that gives the team depth, and can be more flexible on the cap, and not just looking at the now. Having a strong defensive core, and younger up and coming forwards keeps the team competitive.

1000%. He is the trade that could reset all the wrongs done by Holland. The team would be diff without him (less offense), but could actually be better balanced and better fit to win overall. In the end, McDavid stirs the drink. With a complete very good (not elite) cast around him, they will thrive. Hyman is an example of this.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I doubt it, they couldn't afford that cap hit

He's also got a NMC for the next three seasons, so they can't just dump him on a bottom feeder either 

Nurse is untradable and a buyout would just be horrendous. In the end, accept he is an overpaid 2nd pair guy, and get him a good partner to cover his worts. Aside from his salary, I actually don't mind him, when paired properly. A suitable partner could be part of the Draisatl trade.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

Nurse is untradable and a buyout would just be horrendous. In the end, accept he is an overpaid 2nd pair guy, and get him a good partner to cover his worts. Aside from his salary, I actually don't mind him, when paired properly. A suitable partner could be part of the Draisatl trade.

Don't mind him, I love this guy.  Slow feet, poor defensive coverage, little offence.  

The guy is a gold mine for the opposition and an albatross on the McDavid years.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So no Nurse for Jones trades? :hurhur:

That probably depends entirely on what Bedard can do going forward

33 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

That's probably the reality they'll have to live with, minus a Draisaitl trade

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

That's a good take.  Ekholm is quite underrated IMO.  He's the engine of that blue line.  Does it all. 

The one hope that the Oilers have is Broberg.  He has the ability to be their next Ekholm.  That's why I hope somebody offersheets him lol

I've been saying what's stopping Calgary from offersheeting him? They have the draft picks and cap space to make it happen. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Pears said:

So they're gonna be spending well north of $30 million on McDavid/Crysaitl/Bouchard with their new contracts, not including RNH/Hyman?

Well we'll be north of 30million on 3 players too once Hughes resigns. So that stat itself is probably turning into the norm leaguewide. 

7 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Well we'll be north of 30million on 3 players too once Hughes resigns. So that stat itself is probably turning into the norm leaguewide. 

Well Edmonton will easily be north of 40 million once McDavid, Bouchard and Draisatl all resign.

Honestly I wouldn't surprised if McDavid pushes 20 million. His new deal will kick in closer to the NHLs new TV/Streaming Deals and it's McDavid

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

Its not 30m...it'll be 45mish; 14-15m for DRai, 17-18m for McD, and 10-12m for Bouchard! Teams can only afford one guy making 11m+, unless they have star guys on their ELCs.

6 hours ago, canucks curse said:

To me 

he was the key to their series against us 

he was so good defensively but also scored a few goals and allowed Bouchard to do his thing 

if he loses a step their team is in trouble 

Yeah, he’s essentially playing at a peak Dan Hamhuis level, but well past the age that Hammer started declining. It’s amazing that he’s stayed so effective at 34, and there should be some drop off soon.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, he’s essentially playing at a peak Dan Hamhuis level, but well past the age that Hammer started declining. It’s amazing that he’s stayed so effective at 34, and there should be some drop off soon.

I was surprised Ek played so well 

he can do this for 2 more yrs absolute max would not be surprised if he dropped off this year 

10 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Its not 30m...it'll be 45mish; 14-15m for DRai, 17-18m for McD, and 10-12m for Bouchard! Teams can only afford one guy making 11m+, unless they have star guys on their ELCs.

And let's not forget Nurse, since he's awful darn close to 10m... and perhaps a little bit awful?

That's a lot of money tied up there.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

not sure there's any other team thats willing to pay the whiner what EDM would. I just don't see the production lasting until he's 37 that lives up to 15 mil. 

I have no concerns about his production, but Edmonton must win next season basically or he's not winning a damn thing unless he finds his way out of there.

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reg said:

I am not a fan, however if Drai takes anything less the fifteen million he is leaving money on the table.

Dryercycle is lesser than Matthews. IMHAO a fair number for him is less AAV than AM. So 13 but a longer term at 8.