[SIGNING] Edmonton extends Leon Draisaitl 8 years $14 million AAV

If they sign that and keep both McDavid and Draisaitl, they will be forever fucked. One team in the history of the salary cap has won a cup with a player taking up more than 15% of the salary cap. That was the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Oilers will have 2 and by the time the cap catches up, they’ll be starting to teeter towards the decline.

As of right now…

McDavid+Draisaitl= 21mil

Miller+Hughes+Demko = 20.85mil 

2025-26 Their combined cap hit will be atleast 26mil best scenario for them….. Hughes+Demko+Miller+Debrusk at the cost of those 2. The Pacific is ours for a very long time and the cup is coming to Vancouver.

• Cheers 4

17 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

If they sign that and keep both McDavid and Draisaitl, they will be forever fucked. One team in the history of the salary cap has won a cup with a player taking up more than 15% of the salary cap. That was the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Oilers will have 2 and by the time the cap catches up, they’ll be starting to teeter towards the decline.

As of right now…

McDavid+Draisaitl= 21mil

2025-26 Their combined cap hit will be atleast 26mil best scenario for them….. Hughes+Demko+Miller+Debrusk at the cost of those 2. The Pacific is ours for a very long time and the cup is coming to Vancouver.

lol if you like to cherry pick your stats to make yourself happy. 

Draisaitl signed a very team friendly contract previously, now it is time he gets paid. 

Just like Hughes and Demko are on very team friendly contracts right now. And they will get their own monster contracts in the future. Hughes, 11.5-12mil minimum (Dahlin 11mil lol), Demko I'm not going to guess, but it will be much higher than 5million. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Draisaitl signed a very team friendly contract previously, now it is time he gets paid. 

Just like Hughes and Demko are on very team friendly contracts right now. And they will get their own monster contracts in the future. Hughes, 11.5-12mil minimum (Dahlin 11mil lol), Demko I'm not going to guess, but it will be much higher than 5million. 

That's the thing, players don't take discounts....they simply hedge that they can make more in a few years (bridge contracts) OR there is a perception of taking less when one considers the 8th year option. He did the so called bridge...this is his pay day!

As much as Drai probably wants to win, he is not going to take less money to allow others to get paid; its not how sports works. It's diff when guys are at the end of their career and just trying to win (Henrique), but Draisatl is going into his prime money contract. The AAV might be lower (given 8th year option), but he's gonna get paid at the market value. Ditto Bouchard and McDavid.

In addition, I just don't see a way for the Oilers to be able to resign the 3, while also replenish their aging lineup. A sign, then trade of Drai next summer is an option, but why would he want to help the club in that regard if he were not reaping the benefit, while losing his ability to choose where he goes. If I were him, I'd demand market value, a 8 year contract and a no trade clause for at least the first 5 years.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

That's the thing, players don't take discounts....they simply hedge that they can make more in a few years (bridge contracts) OR there is a perception of taking less when one considers the 8th year option. He did the so called bridge...this is his pay day!

As much as Drai probably wants to win, he is not going to take less money to allow others to get paid; its not how sports works. It's diff when guys are at the end of their career and just trying to win (Henrique), but Draisatl is going into his prime money contract. The AAV might be lower (given 8th year option), but he's gonna get paid at the market value. Ditto Bouchard and McDavid.

In addition, I just don't see a way for the Oilers to be able to resign the 3, while also replenish their aging lineup. A sign, then trade of Drai next summer is an option, but why would he want to help the club in that regard if he were not reaping the benefit, while losing his ability to choose where he goes. If I were him, I'd demand market value, a 8 year contract and a no trade clause for at least the first 5 years.

Exactly this ^ 

It’s why it’s cup next year or bust for Edmonton

36 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Oilers are still going to be in cap hell once McDavid has to renew.  McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard and Nurse will be at $50 million when they are all renewed for the 2026-2027 season.  If Hughes renews at $13 million and Demko at $8.5 million, then we will have Pettersson, Hughes, Miller and Demko at $41 million for the 2026-2027 season.  That's a huge difference.  It's basically one additional star player, which would be Boeser at $8.5 million.  Also, Vancouver would have those 5 guys at under $50 million and they would have 2 centres, a winger, a Dman and a goalie.  So, the cap is spread perfectly to all positions.  With Edmonton, they'd have 2 centres and 2 Dmen.  Plus, Nurse isn't a top 2 Dman at all, so Edmonton will have a huge overpaid Dman on the second pairing.  

All in all, Vancouver's cap situation will be massively better than Edmonton's moving forward.  Not to mention we will have Hronek at $7.25 million for 8 years, so we will have 2 top 2 Dmen in the lineup as well.  Ekholm is going to be 36 years old in the 2026-2027 season, so Edmonton only has one Dman for the future in Bouchard.  Not sure you can win a cup with one Dman and then Nurse.  Not to mention the fact that Stuart Skinner is a UFA in the summer of 2026, so Edmonton might not even be able to afford him.

In short, Edmonton is completely fooked...

The biggest thing that most lose sight of is that fact taht the Oilers will be competitive as long as McD is there and in his prime. Draisatl, though ridiculously good, is simply a luxury. Much more important is surrounding him with a balanced roster that compete on all fronts, not simply rely on their PP and loading up a top line. Looking at their cup run last year, it was the emergence of a great 4th line (all of which were key contributors on the pk too) and their PK that made the difference. The ability to continue taht will be seriously hampered with no cap room to address the bottom 6.

A smart team would realize this, and trade Draisatl while he has mucho value. The draft stock and players received in return could furnish this transition. I'd demand a great top 6 player, a top 4 Dman, potentially a decent 1A/B goalie to compliment Skinner and grade A prospect(s) in the deal. Then, resign Bouchard and alotte cap to getting a McD deal done first thing next July. This is what smart teams do....enable the win forever model.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Cherry picking? You’re missing the point.

I’m highlighting their top 2 players doesn’t come with a Norris and a runner up Vezina. At the current cost and when that new Draisaitl deal comes in they will have 2 impact players at the cost of 4 impact players. McDavid has been stuck at near max inflation since he signed that deal. The cap has never caught up to his deal and now both and Draisaitl will both be near max inflation and for a very long time. It’s pushing them further and further away from a cup. It’s going to end up pushing out other key pieces or prevent them from being able to afford a big missing piece to the puzzle. Also Bouchard is up next year for a nice raise and it would be hilarious to see him paid less than Nurse. The following season is McDavid and Skinner, so at what point does the levy break? They can’t keep up with this even with gradual cap increases it’s going to take several years into those new McDavid and Draisaitl deals

Yes Draisaitl is due, but this is going to cripple them. This is where COVIDs impact on the cap has fucked the Oilers, the only saving grace the last 5 years was Draisaitl on an extremely team friendly deal. The history of the salary cap has shown that you cannot win with so much money tied up in a just a couple guys. Pittsburgh only won in 2007-08 because Malkin was still on an ELC

Malkin+Crosby were roughly a combined 16%.. McDavid alone is over 15%
Crosby+Letang+Fleury+Malkin
Kane+Toews+Keith+Crawford

Bergeron+Marchand+Chara+Thomas
Kopitar+Carter+Doughty+Quick

Ovechkin+Backstrom+Carlson+Holtby

Stamkos+Kucherov+Hedman+Vasilevskiy

O’Reilly+Tarasenko+Pietrangelo+Binnington

these teams had these guys all outperforming their contracts, which allowed them to build deeper and win a cup.

look at Toronto

Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and Reilly.. yet all that offensive capability and they haven’t won a single game in the 2nd round and only been there once in how many straight years? 

there’s a reason why no tax/low tax teams are so good. Because they can lower the AAV and build deeper they save on literally every guy walking in that door.

This is what made Vancouver so deep and one of the best teams in the league for years, because of alllll the discounts every guy took. Allvin gets it, he can’t overpay one guy, or they are all seeking the same treatment and then your cap structure collapses. 

By the time Hughes and Demko are up, the team discount mentality will still be there because we are contenders. we may save a couple mil and by then the cap has caught up with Petterssons contract and we are likely seeing him out performing that deal, Miller will be a massive savings in a few years. Our contracts are fairly staggered nicely. We will have guys who come up on ELCs that will be ready after some patient development and guys like Boeser become trade chips. We can continually offset inflation by getting discounts as a contender. The level of inflation on our guys deals vs Edmontons situation is sooo far a part. 

• Cheers 4

37 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

The biggest thing that most lose sight of is that fact taht the Oilers will be competitive as long as McD is there and in his prime. Draisatl, though ridiculously good, is simply a luxury. Much more important is surrounding him with a balanced roster that compete on all fronts, not simply rely on their PP and loading up a top line. Looking at their cup run last year, it was the emergence of a great 4th line (all of which were key contributors on the pk too) and their PK that made the difference. The ability to continue taht will be seriously hampered with no cap room to address the bottom 6.

A smart team would realize this, and trade Draisatl while he has mucho value. The draft stock and players received in return could furnish this transition. I'd demand a great top 6 player, a top 4 Dman, potentially a decent 1A/B goalie to compliment Skinner and grade A prospect(s) in the deal. Then, resign Bouchard and alotte cap to getting a McD deal done first thing next July. This is what smart teams do....enable the win forever model.

When COVID flattened the cap, what Edmonton should have done, which sounds insane…. Is in my opinion they should have moved McDavid. Get his max inflation contract the fuck outta there during an unknown period of time where the cap was to be frozen. In return for young high end talent and picks and then built a contender around Draisaitls 8.5m cap hit. That would have been their best solution to possibly building a really deep roster and potentially winning a cup. Moving Draisaitl still wouldn’t have had nearly as much of an impact because he is grossly outplaying that contract where as McDavid is just producing for that kind of pay. Then as Draisaitls big payday comes up, it’s already offset by RFAs 

2 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Exactly this ^ 

It’s why it’s cup next year or bust for Edmonton

Here’s to hoping they suffer significant long term injuries that make them miss the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Oilers are still going to be in cap hell once McDavid has to renew.  McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard and Nurse will be at $50 million when they are all renewed for the 2026-2027 season.  If Hughes renews at $13 million and Demko at $8.5 million, then we will have Pettersson, Hughes, Miller and Demko at $41 million for the 2026-2027 season.  That's a huge difference.  It's basically one additional star player, which would be Boeser at $8.5 million.  Also, Vancouver would have those 5 guys at under $50 million and they would have 2 centres, a winger, a Dman and a goalie.  So, the cap is spread perfectly to all positions.  With Edmonton, they'd have 2 centres and 2 Dmen.  Plus, Nurse isn't a top 2 Dman at all, so Edmonton will have a huge overpaid Dman on the second pairing.  

All in all, Vancouver's cap situation will be massively better than Edmonton's moving forward.  Not to mention we will have Hronek at $7.25 million for 8 years, so we will have 2 top 2 Dmen in the lineup as well.  Ekholm is going to be 36 years old in the 2026-2027 season, so Edmonton only has one Dman for the future in Bouchard.  Not sure you can win a cup with one Dman and then Nurse.  Not to mention the fact that Stuart Skinner is a UFA in the summer of 2026, so Edmonton might not even be able to afford him.

In short, Edmonton is completely fooked...

Edmonton paying $20 million for a defenceman who belongs in the ECHL and one this who belongs in the PWHL is going to be hilarious.  They really need to save some of this money so that Ekholm isn't their only actual NHL quality blueliner.

$50 million for two locker room cancers and two defencemen who refuse to learn how to play defence will cripple them.

Edited by King Heffy

43 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Edmonton paying $20 million for a defenceman who belongs in the ECHL and one this who belongs in the PWHL is going to be hilarious.  They really need to save some of this money so that Ekholm isn't their only actual NHL quality blueliner.

$50 million for two locker room cancers and two defencemen who refuse to learn how to play defence will cripple them.

Sadly Ekholm was their biggest liability in the playoffs. I did a little breakdown of their defence during the finals and omg…. Ekholm was a fucking disaster, I was shocked. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Sadly Ekholm was their biggest liability in the playoffs. I did a little breakdown of their defence during the finals and omg…. Ekholm was a fucking disaster, I was shocked. 

Interesting! I had assumed he was the one sturdy piece amongst the shaky flaming pieces of poo. I’d be interested to read your breakdown on it.

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

I like Ekholms game. I believe he was playing injured?

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Cherry picking? You’re missing the point.

I’m highlighting their top 2 players doesn’t come with a Norris and a runner up Vezina. At the current cost and when that new Draisaitl deal comes in they will have 2 impact players at the cost of 4 impact players. McDavid has been stuck at near max inflation since he signed that deal. The cap has never caught up to his deal and now both and Draisaitl will both be near max inflation and for a very long time. It’s pushing them further and further away from a cup. It’s going to end up pushing out other key pieces or prevent them from being able to afford a big missing piece to the puzzle. Also Bouchard is up next year for a nice raise and it would be hilarious to see him paid less than Nurse. The following season is McDavid and Skinner, so at what point does the levy break? They can’t keep up with this even with gradual cap increases it’s going to take several years into those new McDavid and Draisaitl deals

Yes Draisaitl is due, but this is going to cripple them. This is where COVIDs impact on the cap has fucked the Oilers, the only saving grace the last 5 years was Draisaitl on an extremely team friendly deal. The history of the salary cap has shown that you cannot win with so much money tied up in a just a couple guys. Pittsburgh only won in 2007-08 because Malkin was still on an ELC

Malkin+Crosby were roughly a combined 16%.. McDavid alone is over 15%
Crosby+Letang+Fleury+Malkin
Kane+Toews+Keith+Crawford

Bergeron+Marchand+Chara+Thomas
Kopitar+Carter+Doughty+Quick

Ovechkin+Backstrom+Carlson+Holtby

Stamkos+Kucherov+Hedman+Vasilevskiy

O’Reilly+Tarasenko+Pietrangelo+Binnington

these teams had these guys all outperforming their contracts, which allowed them to build deeper and win a cup.

look at Toronto

Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and Reilly.. yet all that offensive capability and they haven’t won a single game in the 2nd round and only been there once in how many straight years? 

there’s a reason why no tax/low tax teams are so good. Because they can lower the AAV and build deeper they save on literally every guy walking in that door.

This is what made Vancouver so deep and one of the best teams in the league for years, because of alllll the discounts every guy took. Allvin gets it, he can’t overpay one guy, or they are all seeking the same treatment and then your cap structure collapses. 

By the time Hughes and Demko are up, the team discount mentality will still be there because we are contenders. we may save a couple mil and by then the cap has caught up with Petterssons contract and we are likely seeing him out performing that deal, Miller will be a massive savings in a few years. Our contracts are fairly staggered nicely. We will have guys who come up on ELCs that will be ready after some patient development and guys like Boeser become trade chips. We can continually offset inflation by getting discounts as a contender. The level of inflation on our guys deals vs Edmontons situation is sooo far a part. 

Absolutely cherry picking.  
You brought up their top 2, then forgot to mention our highest paid player.  
Also forgot to include the stinker we are lined up to give Boeser 

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

Okay I could cherry pick Nurse as their 2nd highest paid player but I’m not. I think you’re confusing the point I’m making. Im comparing the cost of star players, I can use Pettersson and then expand my point by comparing the cost of

Pettersson+Miller+Hughes+Demko vs

McDavid+Draisaitl+Nurse. Who’s got better spent money?

Pettersson overpaid 

JT Miller underpaid.

Hughes underpaid.

Demko Underpaid

McDavid slightly underpaid if not on par

Draisaitl underpaid 

Nurse OVERPAID

These guys have been outplaying their contracts which has given us a chance to build a deeper team.

We aren’t having to wait for the salary cap to catch up to deals like McDavids and whatever Draisaitl makes on his next deal. McDavid is producing at the level of his contract, maybe slightly higher but not nearly enough to outweigh how much he is being paid for production. Draisaitl on the other hand is underpaid massively and now he will be at the top the following season McDavid. Nurse nuff said. Any massive contract that has been handed out it has taken several years to catch to those contracts.

Pittsburgh went back to back finals won a cup then took 7 years to get back there after Malkin signed his big contract. Same happened in Chicago after the bridge deals ended. There is a slowly rising salary cap for a reason. Manage your money for production and you can build a winner, if you’re careless you’ll never win

3 hours ago, Rekker said:

I like Ekholms game. I believe he was playing injured?

That may be the reason. I wasn’t sure, which is why I was shocked just how bad his numbers were.

if I have a slow day tomorrow at work I’ll dig up some numbers and see if this is an oversight or not.

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Who says we are keeping Boeser? 

11 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Who says we are keeping Boeser? 

Who says we aren’t?   
Longest tenure Canuck. 
seems to have finally developed into the player they thought he would be after years and years of investment. 
Chances are a lot higher he stays with the team than not 

13 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Who says we aren’t?   
Longest tenure Canuck. 
seems to have finally developed into the player they thought he would be after years and years of investment. 
Chances are a lot higher he stays with the team than not 

Tenure did nothing for Horvat.
Chances are guaranteed he’s gone if he wants to get paid. Incase you missed Alvin’s presser on Zadorov, he made it clear he can’t overpay 1 guy. So Boeser either gets with the program or he’s outta here. Especially if someone like Lekkermaki pops off.

• Cheers 1

On 7/30/2024 at 10:42 AM, AnthonyG said:

As of right now…

McDavid+Draisaitl= 21mil

I believe the cup is coming to vancouver as well.  Could be this year

• ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I believe the cup is coming to vancouver as well.  Could be this year

i truly believe this is our year and last year could have been had injuries not gotten in the way. I feel 2 cups within 5 years is entirely possible.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1