[SIGNING] Edmonton extends Leon Draisaitl 8 years $14 million AAV

14 minutes ago, Devron said:

Hasn’t played a game under his new contract but is overpaid?

I’m not saying this is Loui Eriksson overpayment, but he is getting a slightly higher deal than his production. which he will grow into that contract and produce at a higher value.

High cost high reward, but in a few years it’s low cost high reward.

does that make a little more sense?

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

I’m not saying this is Loui Eriksson overpayment, but he is getting a slightly higher deal than his production. which he will grow into that contract and produce at a higher value.

Yeah that makes sense. Could easily change that perspective as early as next year. Maybe, maybe not. Someone always has to be overpaid and it’s no longer Myers 

1 hour ago, HarbularyBattery said:

personally i think he was overpaid by us even before he was DRAFTED. 

overpayment is a state of mind. its an attitude. a mindset. few understand this. 

I See You Soccer GIF by UEFA

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yeah that makes sense. Could easily change that perspective as early as next year. Maybe, maybe not. Someone always has to be overpaid and it’s no longer Myers 

Well I mean almost every single UFA is overpaid. 

2 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

personally i think he was overpaid by us even before he was DRAFTED. 

overpayment is a state of mind. its an attitude. a mindset. few understand this. 

Well yes, agreed. They provide entertainment, not a necessity. Doctors should be paid through the roof. As a performer why let someone make money off your back and not stake your claim?

4 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

A 100 point two way centre is definitely in the $11-12 million range. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JT Miller? Hands down most valuable forward on the team and one of the best 2 way C in the league and tough as hell. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/30/2024 at 8:29 PM, AnthonyG said:

When COVID flattened the cap, what Edmonton should have done, which sounds insane…. Is in my opinion they should have moved McDavid. Get his max inflation contract the fuck outta there during an unknown period of time where the cap was to be frozen. In return for young high end talent and picks and then built a contender around Draisaitls 8.5m cap hit. That would have been their best solution to possibly building a really deep roster and potentially winning a cup. Moving Draisaitl still wouldn’t have had nearly as much of an impact because he is grossly outplaying that contract where as McDavid is just producing for that kind of pay. Then as Draisaitls big payday comes up, it’s already offset by RFAs 

This was never ever going to happen....

If you have a player like McD, you keep him for life. Right or wrong...

Imagine if we had McD... This fan base would have killed who ever was the GM unless he hit jack pot. Get what you are saying, and the reasoning may very well be right, but you just don't trade a generational player like McD, unless you are forced into doing so...

Edited by spook007

17 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Tenure did nothing for Horvat.
Chances are guaranteed he’s gone if he wants to get paid. Incase you missed Alvin’s presser on Zadorov, he made it clear he can’t overpay 1 guy. So Boeser either gets with the program or he’s outta here. Especially if someone like Lekkermaki pops off.

That is actually a good call... 

Thinly veiled memo for upcoming contract negotiations... 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

This was never ever going to happen....

If you have a player like McD, you keep him for life. Right or wrong...

Imagine if we had McD... This fan base would have killed who ever was the GM unless he hit jack pot. Get what you are saying, and the reasoning may very well be right, but you just don't trade a generational player like McD, unless you are forced into doing so...

Yea they unfortunately were fucked regardless…. But I mean.. Gretzky was traded, seems like an Edmonton type of thing to do

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If he hits 100 points again. It's not guaranteed. His play during the last half of last year, and certainly in the playoffs, left a lot to be desired. Yes he had tendinitis, the first time I've ever seen that on an injury report, but his production drop also coincided with the announcement of his extension. Coincidence? Maybe, but how often have we seen that throughout the league. I hope he can put it behind him because the Canucks aren't going to win a SCF without Pettersson playing up to that contract and, like you say, that's a 100pt pace.