[SIGNING] Edmonton extends Leon Draisaitl 8 years $14 million AAV

45 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller is one of the best value contracts in the NHL. He is easily an $11 million player. 

I don’t disagree and fortunately we benefit greatly from him taking a contract he greatly outplays. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Disagree... if you add everything he provides, I'd argue he is an 11M player... the last few years...

He is obviously around 100 points pace

He leads in the physical department hits, forechecks, fights, PKs... 

I'm not sure, what more he can do.... except more points, in which case he'd be even higher...

Players like McD and Matthews has more goals/points but are poor defensively and don't drop them...  

I'd rate him just below MacKinnon and a younger Stamkos, but while Petey and Hughes are the stars and silky players on this team, Miller is the heart beat....

Yeah, even going off of the usual $1M per 10 points standard to forwards contracts, Miller is in the $10.5M range without any other intangibles.

• Like 3

I think the Oil will be like TML if they give Leon the 13 plus mill a year.

They really need a big trade with either Leon or McDavid if they want to win a cup.

If he stays they can't resign others when his contract kicks in,and good luck getting any good 3rd,4th line players or number 1 goalie.

They could get a couple vets for a year or two,plus a couple solid players,with picks and prospects to help them for the next 3 to 5 years with a trade.That would make them contenders longer.

Me if I was the GM would do a sign and trade so the other team keeps him for 8 years and make the team deeper on all four lines.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gretzky was technically traded from Edmonton to LA. Other players went the other way along with $15 million cash. 

The purpose was the money cause Pocklington was broke as fk so he was definitely sold. They tried to get 5-10million more from Vancouver first. 

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

They really need a big trade with either Leon or McDavid if they want to win a cup.

If he stays they can't resign others when his contract kicks in,and good luck getting any good 3rd,4th line players or number 1 goalie.

They could get a couple vets for a year or two,plus a couple solid players,with picks and prospects to help them for the next 3 to 5 years with a trade.That would make them contenders longer.

Me if I was the GM would do a sign and trade so the other team keeps him for 8 years and make the team deeper on all four lines.

They’ve kind of already been like the Laffs, rummaging through the trash to see what washed up vet still has a pulse

Smith

Perry

Neal

Gagner

Ryan

Henrique

Demers

Edited by AnthonyG

1 minute ago, Provost said:

That was the hope and he lived up to it.  

The contract length and his age meant he is supposed to outperform it in the first half and he is likely to underperform it in the last half.

Early cap savings in return for extra contract years.  That is the normal formula when signing 30 year olds.

Fingers crossed he has some of that Pavelski gene in him 🤞

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I think they could have done it if they didn't commit so much to Nurse.

As it is, they probably still need to trade Bouchard. And with Ekholm aging out, they're going to end up like the Leafs, and not have enough defence or goaltending to seriously contend.

• ThereItIs 1

I think there's a lot to be said about public outrage and reconnecting to reality. While Stan Bowman was (and likely still isn't) not a good guy, we have to accept the reality that people aren't going to be boycotting their teams, their jobs, and livelihoods, just to make a political statement.

It's pretty uncomfortable to think about that you're working with someone whose reputation is so tarnished beyond the professional work that he's responsible for. Covering up sexual assault is disgusting really. There's absolutely no excuse for it.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 2:32 PM, spook007 said:

Disagree... if you add everything he provides, I'd argue he is an 11M player... the last few years...

He is obviously around 100 points pace

He leads in the physical department hits, forechecks, fights, PKs... 

I'm not sure, what more he can do.... except more points, in which case he'd be even higher...

Players like McD and Matthews has more goals/points but are poor defensively and don't drop them...  

I'd rate him just below MacKinnon and a younger Stamkos, but while Petey and Hughes are the stars and silky players on this team, Miller is the heart beat....

I like a good ole' donnybrook like anyone but I would pay Miller an extra $500K AAV to NOT fight ... don't need risking breaking his hand on the skull of some ELC player looking to make a name for themselves - recall Bure for example.

I love the passion MillerTime brings to the game, hard-nosed, doesn't back down but for the love of Unicorn Farts and Fairy Dust please sign someone that can play on the 4th line, pot a point of two now and then and will absolutely plaster anyone that breaths heavily on Miller, Petey, Huggy, Honker, Brockstar, <insert your player> ... take the penalty minutes, fines, game misconducts early in the season to set the tone.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

I like a good ole' donnybrook like anyone but I would pay Miller an extra $500K AAV to NOT fight ... don't need risking breaking his hand on the skull of some ELC player looking to make a name for themselves - recall Bure for example.

I love the passion MillerTime brings to the game, hard-nosed, doesn't back down but for the love of Unicorn Farts and Fairy Dust please sign someone that can play on the 4th line, pot a point of two now and then and will absolutely plaster anyone that breaths heavily on Miller, Petey, Huggy, Honker, Brockstar, <insert your player> ... take the penalty minutes, fines, game misconducts early in the season to set the tone.

Yes, have been missing that for a long time...

In saying that, Miller keep the opposition on their toes, and if you took that part out of him, I don't think you'll get they player, we got... He has to play with a bit of an edge... And at times it spills over, however he is the closest we got to a true power forward. An Iginla light... 

And to be fair, I'd rather Miller taking it on himself, if somebody wanna make a name for himself, than they run Brock or the likes into the boards, or challenge Petey etc... 

I pray that Miller doesn't get I injured, cause that would severely hamper us, but we can't only have a plug on the 4th line to protect the top 6 players... 

If it gets out of hand have a plug go after the other teams top players... that is far more of a deterrent... They nail Petey, we Nail Matthews or McD etc...

I really like the team composition now... there a lots of hard-nosed players on this team, and a lot of them aren't afraid to drop em... its been a long time, since I felt thing good about our team over all...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

On 8/1/2024 at 7:02 PM, PureQuickness said:

Not sure about 11 million. I'd say he's easily 9-10million player.

Elias Pettersson is getting 11.6. and Draisaitl, at the moment, is a better player than Pettersson.

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Elias Pettersson is getting 11.6. and Draisaitl, at the moment, is a better player than Pettersson.

Dryercycle doesn’t play defensively at all. Petey is a far more complete player. It’s not even close. Petey is better. Guys who play great with and without the puck, in all three zones, are superior. Petey is superior to Divesaddle. 

I hope he get 12-14 mill  

mcdouche 15+ in two seasons

no discounts to play for Edmonton Scumbags. 

The coaching bump is gone and a new GM who didn’t hire him.

so it’ll be interesting to see how long before the scumbags going looking to hire more of their scumbag people Babcock would fit the bill. lol

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Combover said:

I hope he get 12-14 mill  

mcdouche 15+ in two seasons

no discounts to play for Edmonton Scumbags. 

The coaching bump is gone and a new GM who didn’t hire him.

so it’ll be interesting to see how long before the scumbags going looking to hire more of their scumbag people Babcock would fit the bill. lol

Babcock might actually be a good hire; he's one of the few guys will the balls to tell McDiver that he'll be in the press box if he doesn't start playing like a man.  He's also at least not a sex criminal like their owner and GM are.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/1/2024 at 10:02 AM, PureQuickness said:

Not sure about 11 million. I'd say he's easily 9-10million player.

Tavares got 11mil for zero 90 point seasons. Miller has a 99 point and a 103 point season with us. On top of being leaned on for defence and physicality. He's a playoff gamer as well. 30 points in 30 playoff games with the Canucks. Also funny to note, in 6 playoff runs with Toronto Tavares has 24 playoff games and in 2 playoff runs with Vancouver Miller has 30. Not notable to the discussion, just thought it was funny. Miller's contract might be the best in hockey that isn't an ELC or bridge contract. I think the estimation that he is worth 11mil is pretty darn accurate.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I think if you're Edmonton you do anything you can to sign these two guys to a long term deal. Bouchard is the other main piece and from there you build around that. 

Many are saying it is impossible to win with that much spent on your top 3. Sure it might be, but what does a Drai trade even look like? What is fair value for a guy who is likely in the top 3 of the NHL if you include playoff performance (def top 5).

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Tavares got 11mil for zero 90 point seasons. Miller has a 99 point and a 103 point season with us. On top of being leaned on for defence and physicality. He's a playoff gamer as well. 30 points in 30 playoff games with the Canucks. Also funny to note, in 6 playoff runs with Toronto Tavares has 24 playoff games and in 2 playoff runs with Vancouver Miller has 30. Not notable to the discussion, just thought it was funny. Miller's contract might be the best in hockey that isn't an ELC or bridge contract. I think the estimation that he is worth 11mil is pretty darn accurate.

You make a good point.

2 hours ago, Bobby James said:

I think if you're Edmonton you do anything you can to sign these two guys to a long term deal. Bouchard is the other main piece and from there you build around that. 

Many are saying it is impossible to win with that much spent on your top 3. Sure it might be, but what does a Drai trade even look like? What is fair value for a guy who is likely in the top 3 of the NHL if you include playoff performance (def top 5).

Package Nurse with him and a first line forward, a top pairing blueliner, and a first.