[SIGNING] Edmonton extends Leon Draisaitl 8 years $14 million AAV

On 8/18/2024 at 10:10 PM, Snoop Hogg said:

We’re not getting Crosby. If hell freezes over and we do get him, I’ll shit in my hat.

IF Crosby was to get traded, I strongly believe Vancouver would be a prime candidate and somewhere he would be actually willing to go. There’s a few pretty damn good reasons Vancouver would be considered quite seriously as a destination for him.

1) He has a special connection in that rink, the gold medal goal.

2) we are a contender

3) ties to JR PA Tocchet and Gonchar

4) a chance to bring the cup to Canada and him being part of that special moment. I think he would take great pride in bringing the cup back to Canada 

5) bringing the Canucks their first ever cup and once again another special moment that he would be part of.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

NHL.com released their list of top 20 centers. some of it's up for debate, the top six, not really.  

Crosby 6

Barkov 5

Draisatl 4

Mathews 3

McKinnon 2

McDavid 1

EP was 10,  JT Miller still not getting the respect at 11.    Jack Hughes 9, Eichel 8, Point 7 (nice to see Point get some recognition again).   Aho 12.   Some good centers after him too. 

It's pretty obvious Draisaitl is right there behind or with  Mathews  ... what does that mean for his paycheque?   A full term deal somewhere in the same range as he's getting, more if they go on another big run and this time he breaks Reggie Leach's record.     Not sure how EDM is going to jam all these guys in.  

Feel they are like the leagues new Kane and Toews plus  (Draisaitl and McDavid) the difference is when they got their combined massive chunk of the pie they'd already won 3 cups.    Toews kept whining that they couldn't keep the band together, yet the pair gobbled up what McDavid and Draisaitl likely will, and more (my guess is close to 1/3 of the cap, 31% or so). 

14.5-15% for Draisaitl.   16-17% for McDavid.   Going to make Miller and EP look pretty palatable. 

Edit:  McDavid for sure could ask for, and get the max (20%).   Sundin (Mike Gillis) so far I believe has given out the richest cap hit in league history, thank god he didn't sign the two year deal, and also only signed well into the season. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 8/19/2024 at 1:10 AM, Snoop Hogg said:

We’re not getting Crosby. If hell freezes over and we do get him, I’ll shit in my hat.

Buy a Flames or EDM hat just in case please.   You can always burn it later. 

As for Crosby, where is the cap coming from?    We certainly aren't signing him.  Not without trading EP anyways.   And some of the deals for a shot at a cup (albeit good, we won't be winning a cup without goaltending and a very solid D trade incoming, with or without Crosby) one shot then gutted and likely another tank job... yikes let's have our cake and eat it for awhile first please.   JB was a lot of things, one thing he wasn't was it was always going to take a lot of time.   I'm getting too old for a bubble and a Demko down and a Crosby one off, just to have to endure at least a major re-tool, at worst a complete tear down, without picks lol and Lekkermaki maybe Willander ...(watching the NYR load up year after year sure didn't work in the 90's early 2000's way better teams  then we've got on paper and couldn't make it work) doesn't thrill me at all. 

I don't see him coming, he's no Dionne, he's won some cups, like Sakic, Stevie Y, see him retiring a Pen.  He might even of had enough after this year, hard to say.   

Edited by IBatch

On 8/20/2024 at 5:55 PM, AnthonyG said:

IF Crosby was to get traded, I strongly believe Vancouver would be a prime candidate and somewhere he would be actually willing to go. There’s a few pretty damn good reasons Vancouver would be considered quite seriously as a destination for him.

1) He has a special connection in that rink, the gold medal goal.

2) we are a contender

3) ties to JR PA Tocchet and Gonchar

4) a chance to bring the cup to Canada and him being part of that special moment. I think he would take great pride in bringing the cup back to Canada 

5) bringing the Canucks their first ever cup and once again another special moment that he would be part of.

The order is odd.  I'd think the only thing that remotely gives us a shot is number 3.   Why does Crosby give two shits about the Canucks?  Was it his favourite team growing up?   Why not TO or EDM instead.   In EDM the storyline at least has some true media hype, Crosby passing the torch to McJesus and immortalizing himself as truly one of the greatest ever, cementing himself in that small group of guys below Howe, Orr, Gretzky and Mario.  

The Habs were his favourite team growing up ... Yzerman his favourite player, which is ironic given their career arc is so similar.   Maybe he decides to sign with them, makes some sense, they will have the cap space and have a top prospect pool.    And likely a better shot at a cup in PIT, they've got nothing in the pipe and Dubas is already doing and done Dubas things. 

Yzerman can pitch him something too.   Dubas says he's committed to give them another shot, just don't see that with Guentzal gone,  nothing in the pipe.   Crosby's career is winding down.   Retirement for sure might be on the table.   I'm sure he knows a cup isn't happening in PIT.   Vancouver does have JR and Allvin.   Move EP to the wing, or bump him to the third line? 

A trade and sign would be interesting,  a rental not so much.   Where would we get the cap space ... EP.   Would you trade EP before his contract kicks in, for maybe four years of Crosby?  

Edited by IBatch

On 8/19/2024 at 4:46 PM, gwarrior said:

I'm really hoping he signs a rediculous contract. I like what I've read here in previous pages, sign him for 8 years at $14 million per. Please do that!!!! Handcuff the Oilers more!!!!! Do it!!!!!

14.5-15% of likely 92 million.  So 13.4-13.8 that's a realistic amount.   EP just signed for close to 14%.   The 14% and up bracket, is usually reserved ( but not always, there have been some whacky contract outliers)  for generational or top tier players.   Draisaitl has consistently ranked himself in the top 1-4 the past seven or so years.   His best hockey is probably behind him, but unlike a whole pile of RFAs who've signed in the past seven years, he's earned his legacy deal.   McDavid expect 16.5-17%.   Hilariously it could cost the Oilers 1/3 of their starting cap to keep both of them. 

They'd need to bank on a Crosby/Malkin situation, that would put them in a position to win or contend for a cup, five or so years down the road (cap going up etc).   Some people preferred Malkin (at times anyways) the same way some prefer Draisaitl over McDavid.   Both are perimeter players, but at least Draisaitl goes to the net and can out muscle on the wall. 

Edit:  Like Crosby before him, McDavid could ask for the full 20%.   McDavids current deal, was almost identical to Crosby's cap percentage wise, and expect he will re-sign for something similar to what Crosby did again.   Like him or hate him, you have to give him some credit for leaving money on the table (doesn't seem like it, but even the team said they'd if signed him for the max), so the team had a shot at a cup.   Which it most definitely did last year, and should have at least even odds of matching this year.   Pretty sure Sundin is the only player to get close to the 20% mark, great job Gillis!   All the cap finally shed and that's what you do with it. 

The great Sundin, recently ranked 34th best player of the 90's.   Almost retired gets a 20 million 2 year offer in 2008 after Naslund and Morrison.   Yikes 17.7% of the cap.  Man to 2000's were weak. 

Edited by IBatch

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

The order is odd.  I'd think the only thing that remotely gives us a shot is number 3.   Why does Crosby give two shits about the Canucks?  Was it his favourite team growing up?   Why not TO or EDM instead.   In EDM the storyline at least has some true media hype, Crosby passing the torch to McJesus and immortalizing himself as truly one of the greatest ever, cementing himself in that small group of guys below Howe, Orr, Gretzky and Mario.  

The Habs were his favourite team growing up ... Yzerman his favourite player, which is ironic given their career arc is so similar.   Maybe he decides to sign with them, makes some sense, they will have the cap space and have a top prospect pool.    And likely a better shot at a cup in PIT, they've got nothing in the pipe and Dubas is already doing and done Dubas things. 

Yzerman can pitch him something too.   Dubas says he's committed to give them another shot, just don't see that with Guentzal gone,  nothing in the pipe.   Crosby's career is winding down.   Retirement for sure might be on the table.   I'm sure he knows a cup isn't happening in PIT.   Vancouver does have JR and Allvin.   Move EP to the wing, or bump him to the third line? 

A trade and sign would be interesting,  a rental not so much.   Where would we get the cap space ... EP.   Would you trade EP before his contract kicks in, for maybe four years of Crosby?  

I think his connection to Rogers arena is far greater than anything else in the NHL. He scored the game winner in overtime for the gold medal. That is a monumental moment in his career.

The passing of the torch is the storyline of desperation. Why the fuck would he go to Edmonton? Not only that, but what does Edmonton have to offer for prospects and draft picks? What ties does he have to TOR and EDM? Nothing jumps out when you think about going there. If PA made a call to Dumbass and Dumbass talked to Crosby, the moment he mentions Vancouver, I can guarantee the gold medal goal is the first thing he would think about is that moment in 2010. That right there would get him thinking about it. From there he looks and see's a contender and he has the familiarity and 2 cups with JR plus he is acquainted with RT, PA and Gonchar which he will then take pride in wanting to help bring the cup back to Canada.

Definitely wouldnt trade EP.

Fuck Dry-my-Bitch-Pad-Plez and the Coilers. Sign him for a king's ransom and skewer the Coilers for the duration of the contract. Could care less where he signs and pray that the KHL entices him with a $20M AAV contract. End of debate.

oh ya

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

Edited by Rocket-68

On 8/27/2024 at 12:01 PM, AnthonyG said:

I think his connection to Rogers arena is far greater than anything else in the NHL. He scored the game winner in overtime for the gold medal. That is a monumental moment in his career.

The passing of the torch is the storyline of desperation. Why the fuck would he go to Edmonton? Not only that, but what does Edmonton have to offer for prospects and draft picks? What ties does he have to TOR and EDM? Nothing jumps out when you think about going there. If PA made a call to Dumbass and Dumbass talked to Crosby, the moment he mentions Vancouver, I can guarantee the gold medal goal is the first thing he would think about is that moment in 2010. That right there would get him thinking about it. From there he looks and see's a contender and he has the familiarity and 2 cups with JR plus he is acquainted with RT, PA and Gonchar which he will then take pride in wanting to help bring the cup back to Canada.

Definitely wouldnt trade EP.

Let's be real, it was a great moment, amongst many great international moments.    No athlete in the history of the NHL, moved or was traded or signed based on that sort of nostalgia.   Maybe it's got some pull, but doubt it's the first thing in his mind, or a deciding factor.   Where he thinks he's got the best chance to win another cup for sure is.   

As far as stars or superstars going to a team to win a cup (or another cup) it's happened a few times, and you bet they pick a team with the best shot of those teams that actually can do it.  Alfie, Borque, Iginla, Thornton, Spezza ... Kane?  Usually they sign though not traded.  His relationship with Tochett probably means more than anything else.   Not really interested in trading a few firsts, Lekkermaki or Willander.   He's got to want to go of course.   No indication he does.    If he does, why not stay in his own conference/time zone?    MTL was his favourite team,  Yzerman his favourite player, maybe there is some nostalgia there (we've definitely seen a lot of stars end up on their favourite teams growing up, but usually that's well before the twilight of their careers).   

EDM, yeah likely a no unless he's got a boner to play with McDavid, which I doubt.  McKinnon, absolutely. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Let's be real, it was a great moment, amongst many great international moments.    No athlete in the history of the NHL, moved or was traded or signed based on that sort of nostalgia.   Maybe it's got some pull, but doubt it's the first thing in his mind, or a deciding factor.   Where he thinks he's got the best chance to win another cup for sure is.   The hero worship is a little over the top. 

As far as stars or superstars going to a team to win a cup (or another cup) it's happened a few times, and you bet they pick a team with the best shot of those teams that actually can do it.  Alfie, Borque, Iginla, Thornton, Spezza ... Kane?  Usually they sign though not traded.  His relationship with Tochett probably means more than anything else.   Not really interested in trading a few firsts, Lekkermaki or Willander.   He's got to want to go of course.   No indication he does.    If he does, why not stay in his own conference/time zone?    MTL was his favourite team,  Yzerman his favourite player, maybe there is some nostalgia there (we've definitely seen a lot of stars end up on their favourite teams growing up, but usually that's well before the twilight of their careers).   

EDM, yeah likely a no unless he's got a boner to play with McDavid, which I doubt.  McKinnon, absolutely. 

Exactly I can see him going to the Avs

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Let's be real, it was a great moment, amongst many great international moments.    No athlete in the history of the NHL, moved or was traded or signed based on that sort of nostalgia.   Maybe it's got some pull, but doubt it's the first thing in his mind, or a deciding factor.   Where he thinks he's got the best chance to win another cup for sure is.   

How many athletes have had that special moment and had an opportunity to play in that same city in their sport where that team in that city was a contender?

If Vancouvers name came up in suggestion to him, I can guarantee you his first thought will be remembering that moment. From there he would start thinking about their roster and where they are at. Then the familiarity around the organization would all add to weighing in on a decision.

Crosby is extremely superstitious, thats not just an exaggeration. A moment like that and the prospect of possibly going and lifting a cup in that arena is pretty enticing. That’s just adding to the fact we are a legitimate contender, he is familiar with the coaching staff and GM/POHO. 

Out of all the contenders, I’d say we have a better chance of persuading Crosby.The Avs? Sure they put up a good argument when it comes to Mackinnon and Crosby being best friends. But as far as a contender and roster construction, they dont have the depth, they lack secondary scoring, they do not have vezina quality goaltending, their blueline isnt anything special outside of Toews and Makar which we have our own in Hughes and Hronek. Our goaltending and defence had 5th lowest goals against. COL was 16th. Montreal?? What? They arent even on the radar for contenders. 

• Cheers 1

FWIW:

Leon Draisaitl's Contract Extension Will Be A Massive Discount

Finn Marceau

Wed, August 28, 2024 at 4:35 AM PDT

While nobody knew it at the time, Leon Draisaitl did the Edmonton Oilers a huge favour when he signed his eight year, $68 million contract extension in August of 2017. Although it was deemed an overpay by many at the time, his 50-goal, 100-point breakout in 2018-19 turned it into one of the best value deals in the league. After years of outperforming his cap hit, it's time for Draisaitl to cash in. What might that look like?

Evolving Hockey projects his next contract at $13.5 million over eight years, while The Athletic's model pegs him at being worth $12.5 annually over that period of time. Recent reporting from TSN's Ryan Rishaug predicts that the AAV will be north of $14 million.

The current AAV record belongs to Auston Matthews, at $13.25 million, on a four year contract that begins this season. That works out to about 15% of the $88 million salary cap for this season. That number would likely be lower if stretched out over a full eight year deal.

The previous record was Nathan MacKinnon's $12.6 million, which kicked in last season, and was worth about 15% of that year's salary cap. Connor McDavid's $12.5 million AAV took up 15.7% of the cap when it kicked in.

If we follow that math and simply give Draisaitl 15% of the projected $92 million cap for next season, we arrive at a $13.8 million AAV. Spread out over eight years, that would add up to a $110 million dollar deal.

But of course it's not quite that simple. Draisaitl isn't the number one star on his own team, and his running mate McDavid is due for an extension in a year's time. That deal will almost certainly be more expensive than Draisaitl's, and certainly break whatever AAV record is in place by then. So let's instead look at some past players and teams in similar situations.

Draisaitl's closest comparable of the cap era is Evgeni Malkin. Both are big, European centres who play in the shadows of the best player of their generation who was drafted the season after them, and both players have won a Hart Trophy and at least one Art Ross. Though he's one year older than Sidney Crosby, Malkin debuted a year later, and so his contract extension came a year later.

Crosby signed for twelve years and an $8.7 million AAV, before the new CBA capped contracts at eight years. Even so, his AAV stayed the same, and it's likely Sid took less so the Penguins could go Cup-chasing. The next year, with the new CBA in place, Malkin inked an eight year deal at $9.5 million per year. That was worth 13.8% of the cap to Crosby's initial 13.5%.

None of those numbers approach the 15% number that's become standard across the league. Malkin likely took after Crosby and returned to Pittsburgh on a sweetheart deal, to try and build a contender. As we all know, that out worked perfectly.

The other comparable situation is one General Manager Stan Bowman knows well: Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews. The year after Malkin's deal, the two Blackhawks stars signed matching eight year contracts worth $10.5 million annually. When they kicked in, both deals were worth 14.7% of the salary cap.

The Draisaitl comp is harder here because while Kane was by far the more productive player, Toews was the #1 centre and face of the franchise, widely touted as a top-five player in the league. On top of that, both players were due for extensions at the same time. Bowman really didn't have a choice but to sign the pair to identical contracts. Unfortunately, not only did Toews contract age poorly as he's dealt with health issues, Chicago never won a Stanley Cup under these two contracts.

In fact, the only team to ever win a Stanley Cup with a contract worth $10 million annually is the Florida Panthers, who pay both Aleksander Barkov and Sergei Bobrovsky $10 million.

As evidenced by the two examples above, two superstars needing extensions is a good problem to have. The Penguins and Blackhawks won three Stanley Cups each thanks to their dynamic duos. If the Oilers are going to repeat that feat, they'll need to extend both Draisaitl and McDavid.

To that end, I'd predict a Leon Draisaitl contract to come in at something like eight years and $13.5 million per year, similar to the projections. That number compensates him for the lost earnings on his last contract while still being good value for the team. On Draisaitl's end, he takes a little bit less than he probably could get (and certainly would get on the open market) in exchange for the opportunity to chase Stanley Cups with his friend and running mate McDavid, while still setting a new AAV record.

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/leon-draisaitls-contract-extension-massive-113549419.html

• Upvote 1

On 8/28/2024 at 3:12 PM, AnthonyG said:

How many athletes have had that special moment and had an opportunity to play in that same city in their sport where that team in that city was a contender?

If Vancouvers name came up in suggestion to him, I can guarantee you his first thought will be remembering that moment. From there he would start thinking about their roster and where they are at. Then the familiarity around the organization would all add to weighing in on a decision.

Crosby is extremely superstitious, thats not just an exaggeration. A moment like that and the prospect of possibly going and lifting a cup in that arena is pretty enticing. That’s just adding to the fact we are a legitimate contender, he is familiar with the coaching staff and GM/POHO. 

Out of all the contenders, I’d say we have a better chance of persuading Crosby.The Avs? Sure they put up a good argument when it comes to Mackinnon and Crosby being best friends. But as far as a contender and roster construction, they dont have the depth, they lack secondary scoring, they do not have vezina quality goaltending, their blueline isnt anything special outside of Toews and Makar which we have our own in Hughes and Hronek. Our goaltending and defence had 5th lowest goals against. COL was 16th. Montreal?? What? They arent even on the radar for contenders. 

Thanks for acknowledging Crosby's connection with McKinnon.    As for superstitious it's hilarious at times, one goes with Tochett, who bought a new 1800$ blue suit to wear for their run..."you know Tochett we are 0-2 with your new suit "  never wore it again.   

Anyways it's a fun thought exercise.   As for Montreal, they've got a top pool league wide, and the most important thing, cap space.    Brought them up because the Habs were his favourite team growing up, maybe he'd like to sign with them.    Contenders no, but if he wanted to play for them and signed, they'd  become legit, and are only a year or two away from coming in hot with or without, ask @qwijjibo

As for us, we've got a lot of the things, but also a lot of ? marks heading into next season.   Are we a top offensive team like the first 2/3'rds of the season, or are we 23rd like the final third when things got serious down the stretch.    Or somewhere inbetween.   Is EP a 100 point plus  player, or is he a 80-90 point player.   How's Demko, and what is it going to do to our team if he can only play 40 games per season.    Can we tandem like Boston.   Can we split Hronek and QHs.   The playoffs exposed  a weakness 

Defensively i wouldn't say we are better or worse then COL (d-corp), we also don't have anything special after Hronek.   Soucy and Myers ideally should be our 3rd pairing but won't be.   Girard and Manson aren't chopped liver either, and at this stage should also be their third pairing.   Yes, under Tochett, we've become a very solid team. 

What the AVs are missing is goaltending and haven't recovered from losing 27-29 year old Kadri, a cap casualty.    

And then there is the actual cost for Crosby as a rental.   Still considered a top six center in this league.   5-6.   JT Miller 8-10, EP 10-12.   So yes a massive add.   Dubas would get a gigantic pile of assets if they are out of the race (they almost snuck in last year, which was their goal) and Crosby wants a shot at a cup.   At least a first, a second (or another first), a  top prospect, and a roster player that has value and can be flipped or used.    So our 2025 first, Lekkermaki or Willander, and whomever is doing well at the time to make cap work, say Garland.   Then a third party team to take on retention, that much maybe a 3rd. 

That's tempting.   Crosby slots in and EP moves to the wing or down to the third line.   We still have to make another trade to shore up our D like we did with Zadarov.   Our bottom six would take a big hit though, unless we moved EP down.  

Only time i've seen a generational player switch teams and work out was Ray Borque.   That took an extra year.   His final season, runner up for the Norris, so arguably a better player too, I doubt Crosby is going to get a second string all-star berth in two years.    Cap ... well i'm sure Crosby's next deal will start over 11.    One thing that is intriguing, would be a trade and sign for EP.   Would you do that?   In that case PIT would be adding, and we'd have the cap space to add a top four D. 

Edit:  2025 1st, 2026 1st, 2026 3rd, Lekkermaki, Garland for Crosby.    Re-signs for 4 years at 12 million.   Only way that's happening, is EP is traded.   So what would EP get us?  Looks like Crosby is following the same career arc as Sakic.   As in no stopping him unless he has an injury.   Sakic scored 100 at 37, then hurt his back then broke his hand in a snow blower.    Crosby doesn't need to hang them up yet, that's for sure. 

Edited by IBatch

9 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Overrated player. Please sign that contract Coilers. 

I'd rather have him than McDavid.   At least he shows up in the post season with more regularity, scores the goals, and can handle a bit of contact.    Both are overrated, so is EP.   Anyone who's been around to watch other greats of the past know this.   Given that cap hit now means everything ... he's about to launch himself well past where his value is, at least he's actually earned it though.    McKinnon is the best hockey player on the planet right now as far as huge cap hits go.   And will continue to do just that like Crosby before him. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1