[Rumor] Canucks linked to Victor Soderstrom

At work so don't have links but seems like this hasn't been posted.
Utah was looking at trading him back on the 14th but nothing yet it seems.

Trade prospects to get a chance a a good puck moving RHD that isn't tiny?  Yes please 🙂

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Isn't overly big at 5'11" and 185-195ish pounds, will be 24 next February, has cooked in the AHL for a while and put up decent numbers 

Could be a low risk, low to medium cost, low to medium reward sort of scenario 

He's Swedish so there's that, also shoots right

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Isn't overly big at 5'11" and 185-195ish pounds, will be 24 next February, has cooked in the AHL for a while and put up decent numbers 

Could be a low risk, low to medium cost, low to medium reward sort of scenario 

He's Swedish so there's that, also shoots right

I've read him as being 5'11"" then 6'0" then 6'2" and anything from 180lb to 196lb
Hopefully he's Honker sized?  Not big but not so small there's worry he'll be ragdolled around?

Ticks a lot of boxes in what we need with his upside, being a Swede etc. so a lot of possible signs point to a good match.  If the cost is low worth a project for our assistant coaches.

Edited by BigBird79

5 minutes ago, BigBird79 said:

I've read him as being 5'11"" then 6'0" then 6'2" and anything from 180lb to 196lb
Hopefully he's Honker sized?  Not big but not so small there's worry he'll be ragdolled around?

Ticks a lot of boxes in what we need with his upside, being a Swede etc. so a lot of possible signs point to a good match.  If the cost is low worth a project for our assistant coaches.

Yeah, his actual size is anyone's guess. Puckpedia has him at 6'0" and 195 whereas the Tuscon Roadrunners site has him at 5'11" and 186, which is also closer to what Elite Prospects has him at. 

Either way, he's a little bigger than Hughes. With the rest of our D being on the larger side, and Hronek being closer to average, maybe management believes we can get away with another slightly smaller guy. 

I'd be interested depending on what Utah wants for him. 

Edited by Coconuts

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, his actual size is anyone's guess. Puckpedia has him at 6'0" and 195 whereas the Tuscon Roadrunners site has him at 5'11" and 186, which is also closer to what Elite Prospects has him at. 

Either way, he's a little bigger than Hughes. With the rest of our D being on the larger side, and Hronek being closer to average, maybe management believes we can get away with another slightly smaller guy. 

I'd be interested depending on what Utah wants for him. 

Yeah I mean either way he's still young he can put on weight.  Especially with skinny kids people don't realize that it can change fast depending on ones metabolism.

Personally I'm 6'5" and I ran around at maybe 175lb for a long time until I really tried to hit the gym and protein powder and that wasn't until I was in my mid-twenties and got up to 199.

Didn't crack 200 until I worked camp jobs in my early 30s and went up to 240 pretty fast 🙂
Metabolism is weird and diet factors huge in to it all.

• Cheers 1

Could be part of a Hoglander trade, but I hope it's not Hogz.

If they make a trade, maybe the D in a few years:

Hughes - Willander

Soucy or ? - Hronek

Pettersson - Soderstrom

Mynio - McWard

2 minutes ago, TheBearded1 said:

True:  If we do indeed make a play here, I can't see him drawing into the line-up in October. 

Raty? Probably not. But with Suter being a pending UFA and OEL's cap penalty jumping after next season he could be a potential lower cost replacement, him or maybe Aman. I don't think he'll be a top 6 guy going forward, but he'll be 22 in November so there's still plenty of time for Raty to develop. 

I'd sooner dangle a winger like Klimovich. We could even see Podkolzin moved, or Hoglander, though I think we'd have to bring back more than Soderstrom imo. 

2 minutes ago, BigBird79 said:

Yeah I mean either way he's still young he can put on weight.  Especially with skinny kids people don't realize that it can change fast depending on ones metabolism.

Personally I'm 6'5" and I ran around at maybe 175lb for a long time until I really tried to hit the gym and protein powder and that wasn't until I was in my mid-twenties and got up to 199.

Didn't crack 200 until I worked camp jobs in my early 30s and went up to 240 pretty fast 🙂
Metabolism is weird and diet factors huge in to it all.

Definitely, he could still bulk up some more.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Raty? Probably not. But with Suter being a pending UFA and OEL's cap penalty jumping after next season he could be a potential lower cost replacement, him or maybe Aman. I don't think he'll be a top 6 guy going forward, but he'll be 22 in November so there's still plenty of time for Raty to develop. 

I'd sooner dangle a winger like Klimovich. We could even see Podkolzin moved, or Hoglander, though I think we'd have to bring back more than Soderstrom imo. 

Definitely, he could still bulk up some more.

I mean if Kylington is off the radar either because the trade can't be completed with what we have or the management and doctors have too many concerns about the risk then Soderstrom seems like a great Option #2.  Could just need a fresh start and be a steal.

As for cost there was an article yesterday saying that Hoglander was most definitely off the table as we have put so much time in to his development.  No mention of Podz but presumably same thing there so yeah maybe someone like Klimovich who maybe needs a fresh start as well?

Something like that.  Wouldn't hate a low pick but don't know if Utah cares about that.

• Cheers 2

I like this, if we can bring him in and let him work with Foote and Gonchar, I think there is a player in him. I remember he was the one of the players I wanted the Canucks to draft at 9th OA back in 2019. I think this is another low risk/high reward player.

I would be 100% down acquiring him at the right price. Call me crazy, but I actually think there's still a player in there who hasn't figured it out yet. Would love to see him hit some semblance of his potential. 

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I would be 100% down acquiring him at the right price. Call me crazy, but I actually think there's still a player in there who hasn't figured it out yet. Would love to see him hit some semblance of his potential. 

This would be my plan B if we can't sign Kylington 

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Podz + for Soderstrom makes sense. 

Yeah as much as the idea of Podz the player is amazing the reality of Podz the player seems decidedly less so.

Hogz at least has been putting up points and maybe Vancouver is too high stress/microscope for Podz and that's why he's just not putting it together?

Management moves to date have been exceedingly successful overall so if they trade Podz for Soderstrom I trust their diligence on the situation.

• Like 1