[Rumor] Canucks linked to Victor Soderstrom

45 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

We trade our 10th in Pods for their 11th.

We could use more young depth with a future on D

Even trade to me. 

I’d prefer to keep Podkolzin, but one for one is an even trade.

Is Soderstrom waiver exempt? He's an interesting player but is he an upgrade on Desharnais or Juulsen at this point. With Hronek signed longterm and Myers signed for the next 3 years I don't see how he fits. Am I missing something?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

Is Soderstrom waiver exempt? He's an interesting player but is he an upgrade on Desharnais or Juulsen at this point. With Hronek signed longterm and Myers signed for the next 3 years I don't see how he fits. Am I missing something?

Internal competition and depth, I think most here will agree Juulsen doesn’t seem like he’s going to be much more than a 7th dman (would love him to prove me wrong) and desharnais is a project, soderstrom in when we need speed injected into the lineup and VD can play vs the heavy physical teams, maybe soderstrom turns into a household name with a new system and coaches 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

As @Nucker67 pointed out, Pods has played 137 games to Soderstrom’s 53. Pods has been given more than double the opportunities. 

Also, it’s well known that defenders take longer to develop. 

You don't find it head scratching that the team that went and threw picks and prospects at any D-men on the trade market didn't play Soderstrom more than 53 games in his time there? Lol. There were gaping holes on their blueline and they still didn't play him. That's what should be known as a "red flag." We want to trade a guy who actually has shown NHL experience for a guy who couldn't make an AHL level blueline?

We say Podz has failed at capitalizing on opportunities (while playing as you mentioned over twice as many games) and claim a guy who has failed at making the most of better opportunities is a better bet. I wouldn't trade Podz for Soderstrom personally. I think our underachiever is better than their underachiever and we aren't desperate for blueliners. I think a deal would be closer to what we traded for Kravtsov. Maybe a 4th or 5th rounder if we're being generous.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

If the cost is low sure. His numbers appear to be trending in the right direction, at least at the AHL level.

Tocchet coached him in Arizona so he’d be very familiar with the player. Maybe he thinks there’s another level?

Personally I think I’d rather poach Broberg from the Greasers. Better size and similar upside offensively.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ WHY??🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ if this guy can’t make it on a crap team like Arizona/Utah would we make such a big deal about getting him? And some people say Hogz or Podz for him… seriously? 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ WHY??🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ if this guy can’t make it on a crap team like Arizona/Utah would we make such a big deal about getting him? And some people say Hogz or Podz for him… seriously? 

Agreed. I don't get it either unless the cost is only a mid/late pick

Just now, fuzzy said:

Agreed. I don't get it either unless the cost is only a mid/late pick

Well yeah Hogs we won't trade, as discussed by management.
Podz however there's no guarantee that he puts it together for us, he's had quite a while.

Would be great if he did but we have a surplus of decent/good wingers.

We don't have a surplus of good RHD and the young ones other than Willander don't have a very high ceiling in all likelihood.

So yeah, prospects that aren't working out for either team very well can be swapped.  Especially when one is in a position we always typically are short on

Probably not something you’ll see until training camp, they aren’t taking on anymore contract at this time imo. 49/50. It will be around waiver time when and if they make another move 

1 minute ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

No thanks to trading podz.  By some accounts he was having a good season before injury and finished strong upon returning.  We all know power forwards take longer to develop 

exactly. Podz has shown more at the NHL level and has some good indicators he can be a regular now.

I'd be fine with something like Hirose, or a 4th, something in that range. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

As @Nucker67 pointed out, Pods has played 137 games to Soderstrom’s 53. Pods has been given more than double the opportunities. 

Also, it’s well known that defenders take longer to develop. 

Isn't that what they say about power forwards too though?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Frees up $2.5M cap space.

I mean we’ll get that space either way.

Advantage being that cap space accumulates as the season goes along vs LTIR.

Allvin didn’t seem like moving his contract was too big of a deal from the sounds of it.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean we’ll get that space either way.

Advantage being that cap space accumulates as the season goes along vs LTIR.

Allvin didn’t seem like moving his contract was too big of a deal from the sounds of it.

You just answered your own question.  Canucks can accrue more cap space at the TD or can go out and acquire a $2.5M player (maybe on D).

Not a big deal but still better than having someone on LTIR.

13 minutes ago, BPA said:

You just answered your own question.  Canucks can accrue more cap space at the TD or can go out and acquire a $2.5M player (maybe on D).

Not a big deal but still better than having someone on LTIR.

Doesn’t sound like they have any interest in giving up assets in order to dump it so it’s a moot point.

We’ll be able to acquire a 2.5 million dollar player regardless. 

23 minutes ago, Viking said:

Offer them Pius Suter, his role has been replaced with the plethora of Forwards we added in free agency

Pius Suter wouldn't even get you a 3rd pairing/#7 Right Handed shot D-Men.

*IF* a Soderstrom trade were to go down the return would definitely be one of Podkolzin/Raty.. Thats truly it. You're not moving Lekkerimaki/Willander... Soderstrom ain't worth a 1st.. Perhaps Hoglander no longer fits with all the free agent signings? I see 3 guys.. Other than that unfortunately this team has nothing they can truly move in a Soderstrom trade that would make sense. Unless they move more future 2nd Round draft picks..

Edited by Don Brodka Jr
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

Pius Suter wouldn't even get you a 3rd pairing/#7 Right Handed shot D-Men.

*IF* a Soderstrom trade were to go down the return would definitely be one of Podkolzin/Raty.. Thats truly it. You're not moving Lekkerimaki/Willander... Soderstrom ain't worth a 1st.. Perhaps Hoglander no longer fits with all the free agent signings? I see 3 guys.. Other than that unfortunately this team has nothing they can truly move in a Soderstrom trade that would make sense. Unless they move more future 2nd Round draft picks..

We dont have room anyway we committed 3 years to Myers...Should've just signed Desharnais and fished around for another D with the 3m savings from Myers, But I am not the GM so it didn't happen that way