[Rumor] Canucks linked to Victor Soderstrom

14 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Ideally, no, we really don't have much in the way of young centers in the system 

I think management will probably give up a late or mid-round pick for him. Söderström is also at the age where he's going to have to require waivers to be sent down. So I can't really see management giving up a ton for him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Duke said:

Suter at 1.6 mil is worth exponentially more than a stalled out prospect.  

This is Soderstrom we’re talking about, not Jiricek.  You know another 23 year old RD who’s putting up .5 ppg in the AHL and is actually physical?  Jet Woo.  That’s who we’re talking about trading for.  A 2nd round pick is a massive overpayment.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that Utah can get "a haul" for Söderström. If Vancouver does acquire him, I can imagine it being a relatively cheap acquisition. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I'm not convinced that Utah can get "a haul" for Söderström. If Vancouver does acquire him, I can imagine it being a relatively cheap acquisition. 

Maybe some deal that sends Poolman's contract as well. 

On 7/25/2024 at 10:32 AM, Coconuts said:

Isn't overly big at 5'11" and 185-195ish pounds, will be 24 next February, has cooked in the AHL for a while and put up decent numbers 

Could be a low risk, low to medium cost, low to medium reward sort of scenario 

He's Swedish so there's that, also shoots right

That's not bad size for today's NHL. It would be interesting if we could pick him up without overspending, what could Foote and Gonchar accomplish with him. I think they had an active hand in Hughes maturing into an award winning D this last season.

We have an exceptional coaching team right now, look at what they managed to do with Myers and Juulsen last season.

This is from 5 years ago. Explains his draft location. From Elite Prospects:

An uber competitive two-way defenceman who thinks the game at the highest level, A gifted skater, his ability to traverse all three zones is best described as smooth and effortless. He never looks disinterested and it's always apparent just how badly he wants to win. His vision and awareness is great, allowing him to play a responsible yet dynamic brand of hockey. He's a dangerous puck-carrier with a great shot. Defensively, he makes good decisions quickly and consistently, never looking out of place when pitted up against the other team's top players. He pressures the opposition and limits options, never getting in the way of his goalie.

Sounds like something our defensive coaches can work with.

43 minutes ago, Provost said:

We signed enough bottom pairing and depth D… not sure if this makes much sense

Well the idea would obviously be to work with him and get his game to another level (top 4 defenseman)

We don’t have nearly enough good D men in the system. Everyone pencils in Willander and Pettersson on D but they’re not guarantees. 

Would be smart to develop more young D men to fill in those future holes.

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

That's not bad size for today's NHL. It would be interesting if we could pick him up without overspending, what could Foote and Gonchar accomplish with him. I think they had an active hand in Hughes maturing into an award winning D this last season.

We have an exceptional coaching team right now, look at what they managed to do with Myers and Juulsen last season.

If he's waivers eligible they'd either have to be content with keeping him on the roster or losing him for nothing though, which should affect the price 

He's not a young prospect though, 24 in February, he'd be interesting for the right price but we don't exactly need him 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I haven't been sold on Söderström since I started following him in his draft year. I'm biased against players developed in the Brynäs system. They've produced some amazing NHLers like Niclas Bäckström but I've convinced myself that their products are more likely to bust. Adam Boqvist would be an example. Just something that keeps them from reaching their full potential. I'm certainly reading way too deep into things but the whole organization is naive and I question their culture. 

A Podkolzin for Söderström trade makes sense but I'm not sure it's a move I'd make. I think there is more to get in Podkolzin at this point in their careers. 

I want them to save their assets to make a swing for a puck moving 23-26 year old top 4 LHD. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

He is 24 so we would have to keep him on the roster.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Forbort-Desharnais

Friedman-Juulsen

Who does he bump out?  Does the guy bumped out clear waivers or do we end up with less NHL capable D by losing them just to keep a guy who can’t crack one of the worst rosters in the league.

Now isn’t the time to be making Hail Mary moves on long term projects.  When we were terrible, that was the time for those moves.

In camp last season, Brisebois was penciled in for the starting roster until his injury. Don't be surprised if he's on the starting roster this season.

There's always injuries, especially in camp.

• Like 1

Soderstrom is not a guy they would get for this year. He has really high hockey IQ with the potential of being a top pairing elite defenseman at the NHL level. He just needs to grow into his man body and get stronger. He probably needs another year or two of development in the AHL and hopefully injury free hockey to be at a point to push for NHL spots. The best place for him is being a top line guy in the AHL right now, 

22 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Isn't that what they say about power forwards too though?

20 hours ago, spook007 said:

Yep..... still waiting for Virtanen...

Benning was confused,Virtanen was a sour forward.

Don't forget Goalies take longer to develop as well.

• Haha 1

I think this would be a reclamation for reclamation kind of deal - not unlike Juolevi and Juulsen. However, I’m not willing to part with Podz yet and Hoglander is an overpay. Raty is probably a no-go for our organization given his position and improvement last season. The rest of our prospects aren’t likely enough to get a one for one done. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Soderstrom is not a guy they would get for this year. He has really high hockey IQ with the potential of being a top pairing elite defenseman at the NHL level. He just needs to grow into his man body and get stronger. He probably needs another year or two of development in the AHL and hopefully injury free hockey to be at a point to push for NHL spots. The best place for him is being a top line guy in the AHL right now, 

Wouldn’t he require waivers this year?  Without Capfriendly I am not sure.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Wouldn’t he require waivers this year?  Without Capfriendly I am not sure.

If he replaces Friedman I’m good with it.

We need D men who bring different elements. Right now we’re seriously lacking puck movers.

• Like 1

Possible options

1. Podkolzin for Soderstrom+pick

2. Hoglander and Poolman for Soderstrom+pick

I really don't know if Soderstrom is the guy they should be going after. He hasn't put up great numbers, did well in the AHL I guess. But they already have Woo, McWard, Willander and Celebrini developing at RD. 

23 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

Holy shit people.. Hoglander should not even be in people's thoughts on this.

You don't trade a 23 year old who just scored 24 goals for a project and to dump cap.

If Hog's was on another team, everyone here would want him but some can't seem to want to trade him fast enough.

If Hogs is getting traded, it would be for a young defenseman who has been playing in the NHL and shown an upward trajectory, just like Hoglander has.

I agree. The more I read about Hoglanders development, the less I want to see him traded. I actually think he could be a 30 goal guy as early as this year if given the opportunity in the top 6. That's only 6 more goals then he got while playing 12 minutes a game. Playing in the top 6 means playing with Petey, Miller, Boeser, Debrusk, etc. As opposed to Aman and Lafferty types.

Also keep in mind, he is in a contract year.... it really doesn't make sense to trade him away from a team good enough to challenge for the Stanley Cup. 

On 7/27/2024 at 10:58 AM, greenbean30 said:

Holy shit people.. Hoglander should not even be in people's thoughts on this.

You don't trade a 23 year old who just scored 24 goals for a project and to dump cap.

If Hog's was on another team, everyone here would want him but some can't seem to want to trade him fast enough.

If Hogs is getting traded, it would be for a young defenseman who has been playing in the NHL and shown an upward trajectory, just like Hoglander has.

I think people are just realizing that with him and Brock up next offseason it’ll be hard to keep both of them if they get raises. 

Hoggy for sure is getting a raise on 1M unless he completely flops. 

The issue is that we’re going for it this year, and a 20-something even strength goal Hoglander is something Allvin wants in the lineup - for good reason. 

It’s going to be interesting (or stressful for some) to watch Boeser, Hoglander and Lekkerimaki this season to try and figure out the plan.  

Hoggy is still an RFA iirc so I see no reason to rush him out before next offseason unless it’s to add value in a key trade. By all accounts, we could be having to let Boeser walk next offseason while keeping Hoglander and promoting Lekkerimaki.  If we keep Boeser and can’t afford Hoglander, we can always trade him.