[Rumor] Canucks linked to Victor Soderstrom

soderstrom for Aman (has shown he can play in the NHL playoffs and kill penalties)

soderstrom for podkolzin seems pretty fair, podz and Aman have both done more at an n hl level and we have a glut of wingers and Cs

• Wiener 1

I do recall me really wanting the Canucks to draft Soderstrom at the 2019 Draft, but the Canucks selected Vasil Slovkolzshen. instead, or at least that's who Smyl took. 😜

I am a bit confused by this trade, though, if it were to happen.

The Canucks have Willander, McWard, and Woo developing at RD. They just traded for Desharnais as well, who seems to just be getting his NHL feet wet. Adding another inexperienced RD to the team, can he be relied on as a regular next season?  

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

This would be my plan B if we can't sign Kylington 

TBH knowing that this is an option and if the cost is a similar prospect that's not working out with us I would almost rather Soderstrom than Kylington as there's less risk since he's actively playing right now 🙂

Why Not Both Take Both GIF - Why Not Both Why Not Take Both - Discover &  Share GIFs

1 minute ago, Nucker67 said:

I do recall me really wanting the Canucks to draft Soderstrom at the 2019 Draft, but the Canucks selected Vasil Slovkolzshen. instead, or at least that's who Smyl took. 😜

I am a bit confused by this trade, though, if it were to happen.

The Canucks have Willander, McWard, and Woo developing at RD. They just traded for Desharnais as well, who seems to just be getting his NHL feet wet. Adding another inexperienced RD to the team, can he be relied on as a regular next season?  

Unfortunately Woo may very well have stalled and McWard doesn't have huge upside as far as Top4 goes.
Higher ceiling RHD prospects we should be all over.  We can trade out our probably 3rd pairing guys later.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BigBird79 said:

TBH knowing that this is an option and if the cost is a similar prospect that's not working out with us I would almost rather Soderstrom than Kylington as there's less risk since he's actively playing right now 🙂

Why Not Both Take Both GIF - Why Not Both Why Not Take Both - Discover &  Share GIFs

Kylington is a FA and currently playing he just costs a roster spot and money. 

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Getting Sprong has made one of Karlsson, Aman and Podkolzin on the chopping block. If you can get something for either guy then let’s make a deal. Does this guy have an NHL future though?

Of the 3 I would actually go Podkolzin tbh 

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think Podz has potential. But he might need a fresh start somewhere else?

Kinda where I am at I see more of a roster fit for Karlsson and Aman whereas Podkolzin a change of scenery may be good for him 

23 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Podz + for Soderstrom makes sense. They drafted some high end Russians in 2023.

Yeah, this seems like a natural fit. Podz has upside for them, as VS would for us.

Not even sure it would be much of a plus. Maybe Podz + Juulsen?

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, this seems like a natural fit. Podz has upside for them, as VS would for us.

Not even sure it would be much of a plus. Maybe Podz + Juulsen?

Yeah was thinkin a small plus maybe like a 5th round pick or Juulsen, due to RDs being more in demand. If we can do 1 for 1 even better.

Edited by Bure_Pavel

Just now, Nucker67 said:

Wouldn't Utah have to add?

Podz has played 137 NHL games, compared to Soderstrom's 53.

Podz also accumulated 35 points in those games and added a couple of playoff games to his resume. 

Soderstrom hasn't done much at the NHL level yet. 

Dmen take longer, and RD is a premium position. Their value is pretty close though.

I wanted him at the draft. Would be pretty funny to see him get traded for Podz. But the thing is, we have Hronek, Myers, Desharnais and Juulsen on the right side already. With Hughes, Soucy, and Forbort on the left side. That's excluding some of the AHLers that may get looks like Brisebois, Hirose, McWard, Friedman, Woo, and Wolanin. Wolanin I thought looked quite strong last training camp too.

He needs to clear waivers, no?  Soderstrom's value should be at an all-time low.  IMO, Podkolzin has more value as he's done more at the NHL level.  I'm not against taking a chance on him, but the cost has to be low.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I wanted him at the draft. Would be pretty funny to see him get traded for Podz. But the thing is, we have Hronek, Myers, Desharnais and Juulsen on the right side already. With Hughes, Soucy, and Forbort on the left side. That's excluding some of the AHLers that may get looks like Brisebois, Hirose, McWard, Friedman, Woo, and Wolanin. Wolanin I thought looked quite strong last training camp too.

This isn’t a player that would make our team right away. Maybe as a last resort in an emergency fill as a last pairing.

He would compete for Myers and Deharnais job down the road. Let him cook with our baby Canucks for a year. 

I hate to say it but we have given Pods a lot of opportunities and he seems like he will never be a regular fixture with the big club.

Remember when the Canucks had all of these Russians?

Kravtsov

Kuzmenko

Zadorov

Mikheyev

Podkolzin

Maybe not at the same time, but fairly recently. If Podz leaves, they'll have none left (except for developing Kirill Kudryavtsev)

13 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Dmen take longer, and RD is a premium position. Their value is pretty close though.

Yup, their trajectories are really really similar. Id preferably want to keep Podz though, he's on a cheap contract and we are gonna need that down the road even if he's just a role player

6 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

This isn’t a player that would make our team right away. Maybe as a last resort in an emergency fill as a last pairing.

He would compete for Myers and Deharnais job down the road. Let him cook with our baby Canucks for a year. 

I hate to say it but we have given Pods a lot of opportunities and he seems like he will never be a regular fixture with the big club.

Could make the same argument about Soderstrom, Coyotes gave him lots of opportunities and seems like he'll never be a regular fixture in the NHL. And that's on a team with a lot more openings for him to prove himself than Podz had here. We act like we were riding Podz out there with Pettersson or Miller regularly. Lol. Is Sodestrom waiver eligible next year? He's 23, I forget when you start to become waiver eligible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Could make the same argument about Soderstrom, Coyotes gave him lots of opportunities and seems like he'll never be a regular fixture in the NHL. And that's on a team with a lot more openings for him to prove himself than Podz had here. We act like we were riding Podz out there with Pettersson or Miller regularly. Lol. Is Sodestrom waiver eligible next year? He's 23, I forget when you start to become waiver eligible.

As @Nucker67 pointed out, Pods has played 137 games to Soderstrom’s 53. Pods has been given more than double the opportunities. 

Also, it’s well known that defenders take longer to develop. 

Edited by Grandmaster