[Rumor] Canucks linked to Victor Soderstrom

I don't think I'd do much for him.

Klim + Woo for a change of scenery. Woo is only 6 months older and one could argue had a better year last year.

To Van: Soda + Aku Raty unite the Raty bros. 

Anything involving Hog. Would be a hard no from me. Unless Jack McBain is also included.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Some of these proposals are crazy.  This is a guy likely to hit waivers as he has to clear them now to get sent down.

There isn’t a “pick him up and develop him on the farm” option.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I don't think I'd do much for him.

Klim + Woo for a change of scenery. Woo is only 6 months older and one could argue had a better year last year.

To Van: Soda + Aku Raty unite the Raty bros. 

Anything involving Hog. Would be a hard no from me. Unless Jack McBain is also included.

If Woo is only 6 months older and had a better year, why trade for Sod? Give Woo the actual opportunity to play some games and see what he can do!

Im tired of the old mentality of bringing in projects while leaving our own prospects behind. Woo was called up last year, but never got into any games because we were the healthiest, this team has been in forever. But the call up suggests he’s at least close. Just my two cents.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

9 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

If Woo is only 6 months older and had a better year, why trade for Sod? Give Woo the actual opportunity to play some games and see what he can do!

Im tired of the old mentality of bringing in projects while leaving our own prospects behind. Woo was called up last year, but never got into any games because we were the healthiest, this team has been in forever. But the call up suggests he’s at least close. Just my two cents.

I'd want to give Woo a chance. He deserves at least a chance to show if he can not only make the Canucks roster but contribute. He's a hard hitting defenseman. I'm not sure if Söderström's game and Woo's games are the same. I think they play different styles honestly. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'd want to give Woo a chance. He deserves at least a chance to show if he can not only make the Canucks roster but contribute. He's a hard hitting defenseman. I'm not sure if Söderström's game and Woo's games are the same. I think they play different styles honestly. 

They play completely different styles. The way I look at it, we already have the best outcome for Woo on the roster with Juulsen. Soderstrom can provide a different puzzle piece if he hits. 

That's all being said, if the price is Podkolzin then hell nah.

• Vintage 1

BSA.  We had an awesome OHL prospect  with size we traded last year ... get the pedigree but man it's not an inspiring chip .    Best Swede Avialable, not sure why we can't be looking to find what we lost, a larger two way NA banger.    This is getting a tad goofy at this point.  We do need another PMD, for injuries, maybe that is all that's about, bye bye Podz. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

They play completely different styles. The way I look at it, we already have the best outcome for Woo on the roster with Juulsen. Soderstrom can provide a different puzzle piece if he hits. 

That's all being said, if the price is Podkolzin then hell nah.

Who sits?  Won't be Hronek, Myers or Desharnais. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Provost said:

Some of these proposals are crazy.  This is a guy likely to hit waivers as he has to clear them now to get sent down.

There isn’t a “pick him up and develop him on the farm” option.

Yep.   Rather use Podz as the prospect in a rental for a top four LHD, and bump someone off that side.   When the time comes.   Basically turn Forbot into Irwin's spot from last season.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/25/2024 at 2:33 PM, Nucker67 said:

I do recall me really wanting the Canucks to draft Soderstrom at the 2019 Draft, but the Canucks selected Vasil Slovkolzshen. instead, or at least that's who Smyl took. 😜

I am a bit confused by this trade, though, if it were to happen.

The Canucks have Willander, McWard, and Woo developing at RD. They just traded for Desharnais as well, who seems to just be getting his NHL feet wet. Adding another inexperienced RD to the team, can he be relied on as a regular next season?  

At this point it's also about roster spots and who will clear waivers (Podz/PDG would).   Hogs wouldn't.   If they want the bus guy to be d depth, that I can understand.    Desharnais signed with us because of Tocchet, and Tocchet assured him that the next contract would be his money deal.   Think so too. 

It might be right out the gate, might not, but fully expecting Desharnais to be playing on QHs line at someone,  and Soucy Hronek second pairing,  Forbot Myers third pairing.   And to see a Cole/Soucy level guy to be traded for in season to bolster that lineup.    For QHs to be able to get his feet going, is going to need to maintain his quick short passes,  he can beat most guys one on one,  Desharnais should be able to help create space.   All these signings were with an eye to the post season.  To get QHs to the final without limping along, just didn't see it with Hronek.  

That happened to be, one of the better playoff teams i've seen this club have in a very long time.    These are the cherry's on top guys.   All that's left to do is training camp, cuts and starting lineup. 

12 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I don't think Desharnais is someone who is guaranteed a spot. He's currently penciled in, for now. 

That's not what Tochett said.   Told Desharnais, "next contract will be your big pay day".     He's > Forbot, who I could see been upgraded.   Say it's 50/50 Desharnais starts the season with QHs.  

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's not what Tochett said.   Told Desharnais, "next contract will be your big pay day".     He's > Forbot, who I could see been upgraded.   Say it's 50/50 Desharnais starts the season with QHs.  

It’s almost like he’s trying to motivate him 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Is he better than Schenn? I do like the idea of splitting Hughes, Hronek up though!

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

It’s almost like he’s trying to motivate him 

Fortunately, the UFAs this summer were attracted to our team, and took less money then they would in even low tax markets.   Reality is they will be the support pieces for the next couple years, some will stay some will go.   Allvin is going to have to keep doing this pretty much year in, year out until it's time to do Demko and QHs.    Brock's raise likely sucks up most of the OEL recapture going up countered by cap going up next season.    The two year deals are telling (this years, and last years).     It's great that these guys picked us, when there was a lot of interest.   They know Tocchet can help make them land better deals next time. 

Edited by IBatch
  • ThereItIs 1

43 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Is he better than Schenn? I do like the idea of splitting Hughes, Hronek up though!

Well the TO analysts consider him a lateral move on Cole with PK ability.   I really don't know.    Obviously that's based on last years play.    Personally wouldn't see it much different than Schenn yes. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   Rather use Podz as the prospect in a rental for a top four LHD, and bump someone off that side.   When the time comes.   Basically turn Forbot into Irwin's spot from last season.  

Yep, I don’t think now is the time to spend assets for “project” players who may have some upside.  That was for when our team was terrible and we needed to do some asset management.

We really could use two top four D for a stretch run and be ready for injuries/load management towards the end of the season and  playoffs.  That is a Christmas to deadline move once we see how guys fit and where the most pressing holes are.

Hughes-Hronek

XX-XX

Soucy-Myers 

Forbort-Desharnais

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Well the TO analysts consider him a lateral move on Cole with PK ability.   I really don't know.    Obviously that's based on last years play.    Personally wouldn't see it much different than Schenn yes. 

Guy played his first real NHL season at 28 after being a career AHL guy. He then proceeded to loose his playoff spot to a 23 year old with under 80 games to his name. Given that size is his strongest ability, he should have, in theory, excelled the playoffs. 

I think VD is on the opening night roster, and I hope you are right. But I think you are vastly overestimating him if you think he's a lateral on Cole or Schenn. Gotta think there's a reason these guys got nearly 30% more money, even being much older then VD.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Guy played his first real NHL season at 28 after being a career AHL guy. He then proceeded to loose his playoff spot to a 23 year old with under 80 games to his name. Given that size is his strongest ability, he should have, in theory, excelled the playoffs. 

I think VD is on the opening night roster, and I hope you are right. But I think you are vastly overestimating him if you think he's a lateral on Cole or Schenn. Gotta think there's a reason these guys got nearly 30% more money, even being much older then VD.

I agree. I think VD will be a good player for us, but as a 3rd pair RHD OR a 2nd pair guy in case of injury or matchup. Expecting him to be capable of playing top pair minutes (not even discussing talent) is unrealistic. As you mentioned, he lost his spot in the playoffs to a 23 year old prospect whom, to that point, had underachieved in his opportunities.

Speaking of said 23 year old, I would be putting in an offer sheet for Broberg. He played excellent in the finals, and could be a great 2nd pair LHD guy for us moving forward. As previously stated, our RHD prospect pool is actually in good shape.

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I think VD is on the opening night roster, and I hope you are right. But I think you are vastly overestimating him if you think he's a lateral on Cole or Schenn. Gotta think there's a reason these guys got nearly 30% more money, even being much older than VD.

Think this was more about having someone that could retrieve pucks when nurse was on the ice than anything, broberg playing the right side as a left shot dman where he’s struggled quite bad throughout his nhl career sounds like a disaster to me, my bet is Stetcher takes that spot and that brings me to my point VD>TS 

broberg = big body not very physical moves the puck well struggles down low in his own zone

desharnais = big stationary body to box out his own crease plays physical below his own goal line but has 0 offensive upside to his game doesn’t move the puck up ice very efficiently 

2 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yep, I think folks are forgetting how Cole was by far our third best D for a good part of the season and then when injuries hit just started failing with too many hard minutes required of him at his age, and then injuries.

Cole is a 4/5 and ultra reliable.  Desharnais is solidly only a 3rd pairing or depth guy depending on how good the rest of your D core is.

The only guy on our roster outside Hughes-Hronek that you could really rely on as a top four is Soucy.

Myers, Forbort, Desharnais, Juulsen, Friedman are all 3rd pairing players at best.

I think we should all remember how much harder it is to play 22+ minutes a night of hard matchups as a 2nf pairing guy… compared with 15-16 minutes a night in sheltered roles against weaker competition.  Seeing Myers play in both situations should be lesson enough.  Excellent 3rd pairing guy… terrible 2nd pairing guy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Yep, I think folks are forgetting how Cole was by far our third best D for a good part of the season and then when injuries hit just started failing with too many hard minutes required of him at his age, and then injuries.

Cole is a 4/5 and ultra reliable.  Desharnais is solidly only a 3rd pairing or depth guy depending on how good the rest of your D core is.

The only guy on our roster outside Hughes-Hronek that you could really rely on as a top four is Soucy.

Myers, Forbort, Desharnais, Juulsen, Friedman are all 3rd pairing players at best.

I think we should all remember how much harder it is to play 22+ minutes a night of hard matchups as a 2nf pairing guy… compared with 15-16 minutes a night in sheltered roles against weaker competition.  Seeing Myers play in both situations should be lesson enough.  Excellent 3rd pairing guy… terrible 2nd pairing guy.

Cole is not ultra reliable he was also not our #3 Myers Zee and Soucy were superior. He was a serviceable #5. Though I do agree Bort and Desi are inferior players.  

• ThereItIs 1

I think Garly would be a great fit on the Utah team.  How 'bout Soderstrom + Bjugstad for Garly.

I don't really want to see G traded, but I do believe that his cap hit will be a problem after next

season.

The reason he would be a good fit on Utah, is that he plays the game the right way, which makes

him a great role model for young players.  The are also short on experienced RWs.

Bjugstad is a C, but has often played RW during his career.  He has recently found a scoring

touch, which would make him a + on the 3rd line.  His salary is 2.1mx1yr.

AZ was not a team that developed their players well.  There's a number of them that moved

onto other teams and did very well.  Soderstrom comes with a massive among to talent and

has a very high IQ.  I think the Canuck coaching staff could make this kid into a very good dman.

He is an RFA, so his cap would be low (under 1m) and show me term.

Canucks end up with Bjudstad + Soderstrom + 2m in cap.

• Cheers 2