[Signing] Konecny re-ups in Philly, 8 x $8.75m

Boeser contract year.

His next deal (with us) is entirely contingent on what had can achieve this coming season. With JTM locked up long term  and those two having such good chemistry, I can envision another 30-40 goal season for BB6 if he stays healthy. That’s definitely going fetch him 8+ at min 

why are ppl all of a sudden surprise at the number?? some of you were willing to trade for PLD before and sign him to 8-8.5 when he was still in Winnipeg.. as for boeser unless he gets another 40+ goal season.. he should come in lower than Konecny because Konecny also plays PK while putting those numbers up and boeser doesn't

• Cheers 1

This is the time that teams need to decide whether they want to spend this kind of money with every agent salivating over the cap increases coming up.

If I was Philly I would have traded him for younger pieces and started building around young guys like Michkov and Drysdale.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 10:37 AM, Coconuts said:

Boeser was always gonna be over 8M though imo

When was always? Was it the 18 goal season or the 23 goal seasons or the 16 goal season? 

He's a career 30g guy over 82 games but he can't stay healthy.  Paying 8+ for average 25g 55pt over 65games with a thumb on the scale gives me worry. 

I find it hard to predict him to be more than a 35g 70pt player. If he stays relatively healthy for maybe 3-4 years. I would not under any circumstances consider anything approaching this contract. Philly and others and can continue to jump off bridges solo.  

Edited by Hammertime

9 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

When was always? Was it the 18 goal season or the 23 goal seasons or the 16 goal season? 

He's a career 30g guy over 82 games but he can't stay healthy.  Paying 8+ for average 25g 55pt over 65games  gives me worry. 

I find it hard to predict him to be more than a 35g 70pt player. If he stays relatively healthy for maybe 3-4 years. I would not under any circumstances consider anything approaching this contract. Philly and others and can continue to jump off bridges solo.  

Player value rises alongside the cap. Miller signed him 8M deal in 2022, Boeser will likely sign his new deal in 2025, two very different cap worlds. Given that Boeser's current cap his is 6.65M it's hard to imagine he won't break 8M after three cap jumps, some being rather significant. 

The salary cap for the 22-23 season was 82.5M, the salary cap for this coming season will be roughly 88M. Factor in the fact that we haven't even gotten to the forecast of what the cap will be the the 25-26 season and that's quite a bit of cap increase. The cap jump from the 23-24 season to the 24-25 season was 4.5M, we could very well see another large jump for the 25-26 season.

All things considered, it'd take less than 1.4M for Boeser to hit 8M under these cap realities, that's not farfetched, nor is his getting more than 8M. In fact it's probably be surprising if Boeser came in at less than 8M, even with a discount. 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

Player value rises alongside the cap. Miller signed him 8M deal in 2022, Boeser will likely sign his new deal in 2025, two very different cap worlds. Given that Boeser's current cap his is 6.65M it's hard to imagine he won't break 8M after three cap jumps, some being rather significant. 

The salary cap for the 22-23 season was 82.5M, the salary cap for this coming season will be roughly 88M. Factor in the fact that we haven't even gotten to the forecast of what the cap will be the the 25-26 season and that's quite a bit of cap increase. The cap jump from the 23-24 season to the 24-25 season was 4.5M, we could very well see another large jump for the 25-26 season.

All things considered, it'd take less than 1.4M for Boeser to hit 8M under these cap realities, that's not farfetched, nor is his getting more than 8M. 

Miller had 99 points Brock 73 Miller is a C and in another league in terms of what he brings. I seem to remember you being the most vocal on not giving Miller that deal too. 

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

Miller had 99 points Brock 73 Miller is a C and in another league in terms of what he brings. I seem to remember you being the most vocal on not giving Miller that deal too. 

Yup, absolutely was, we'll see how he ages. It's not as if I expected him to immediately fall off. My concern was always about the latter half of his deal. 

But my point stands, the going rate for players shifts on an ongoing basis and one would imagine that Konecny will absolutely be used as a Boeser comparable. It doesn't matter that Miller took less back in 2022 when discussing a contract negotiation in 2025. 

As the cap rises it's always top 6 forwards, top 4D, and starting goaltenders who get the lion's share of those cap increases, this will apply to Boeser. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, absolutely was, we'll see how he ages. It's not as if I expected him to immediately fall off. My concern was always about the latter half of his deal. 

But my point stands, the going rate for players shifts on an ongoing basis and one would imagine that Konecny will absolutely be used as a Boeser comparable. It doesn't matter that Miller took less back in 2022 when discussing a contract negotiation in 2025. 

As the cap rises it's always top 6 forwards, top 4D, and starting goaltenders who get the lion's share of those cap increases, this will apply to Boeser. 

Fair enough. Still think a 8 year deal is a really bad idea.

• Upvote 1

If Boeser pulls a 40 goals back to back, he’ll unlock the 9M plateau. (Why do you use the french word plateau is beyond me) 

Edited by DexM94

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

Fair enough. Still think a 8 year deal is a really bad idea.

On this we agree, Boeser will be 28 in February so he's entering his 27-28 season, an eight year extension would kick in during his 28-29 season and take him to what.. 36? 

I'm not keen on deals that take guys into their later 30's in general, that doesn't just apply to Miller. Best case scenario would be to pay a higher cap hit for a 6-7 year deal; paying more to bump the term down by a year or two could be huge down the road imo. The OEL buyout jumping may put a damper on that though, guess we'll see what the forecasted cap jump is for the 25-26 season. 

An 8 year deal wouldn't surprise me though, there's a good chance management would be gone by then and that we might have taken a downturn by that point, they may end up giving Boeser 8 to keep the cap average down. Pettersson would be closing in on 34 by then, Hughes 33. 

Edited by Coconuts

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

This is the time that teams need to decide whether they want to spend this kind of money with every agent salivating over the cap increases coming up.

If I was Philly I would have traded him for younger pieces and started building around young guys like Michkov and Drysdale.

You can't trade away all your vets though and Philly might have decided that he's an important transition piece.

Wish we could have signed him.

If BB wants that kind of money I say trade him and get a couple good young prospects and pick.BB so far had two good seasons,he is slower and in today's game he won't last to his mid 30's.

• Confused 1

Hopefully these arguments lower Boesers cap

Sam reinhart signing for 8.6, is capable of playing center scored 56 and 2 other 30 goal seasons

Travis Konecny was the teams leading scoring the last 3 seasons

My guess is we get him at 7.5x8 with a few clauses

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Hopefully these arguments lower Boesers cap

Sam reinhart signing for 8.6, is capable of playing center scored 56 and 2 other 30 goal seasons

Travis Konecny was the teams leading scoring the last 3 seasons

My guess is we get him at 7.5x8 with a few clauses

I think if he starts strong, we look at locking him in a 8.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I think if he starts strong, we look at locking him in a 8.

8 would be fine, especially if he shows strong.

I dont think starting negotiations at 7.25 for full term is insulting.

Ideally he starts strong and settles at 8 as opposed to regressing to his 60 point seasons and signing for 7.5.

His agent will need to keep in mind that he is 4th in depth charts for points and if DeBrusk produces well early then that will be more fuel to keep his cap on the lower side. There is also Lekkerimeki in the AHL and if he shows well to start it gives management even more confidence to keep the price within the cap structure or move on

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Coconuts said:

On this we agree, Boeser will be 28 in February so he's entering his 27-28 season, an eight year extension would kick in during his 28-29 season and take him to what.. 36? 

I'm not keen on deals that take guys into their later 30's in general, that doesn't just apply to Miller. Best case scenario would be to pay a higher cap hit for a 6-7 year deal; paying more to bump the term down by a year or two could be huge down the road imo. The OEL buyout jumping may put a damper on that though, guess we'll see what the forecasted cap jump is for the 25-26 season. 

An 8 year deal wouldn't surprise me though, there's a good chance management would be gone by then and that we might have taken a downturn by that point, they may end up giving Boeser 8 to keep the cap average down. Pettersson would be closing in on 34 by then, Hughes 33. 

It would be interesting to know what total value the team would put on Brock. Lindholm was in the 50 mil range. Would they really see Brock as a 60 mil player? I don't think so. 

Yes the 40 goals is great but he doesn't pk, isn't a top C, dunno I have a hard time seeing an offer in the 8s. 

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It would be interesting to know what total value the team would put on Brock. Lindholm was in the 50 mil range. Would they really see Brock as a 60 mil player? I don't think so. 

Yes the 40 goals is great but he doesn't pk, isn't a top C, dunno I have a hard time seeing an offer in the 8s. 

Buchnevich signed for $8M x 6yrs.  I think Boeser will get something similar if not more term.  Remember that when cap goes up, salaries go up.

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Buchnevich signed for $8M x 6yrs.  I think Boeser will get something similar if not more term.  Remember that when cap goes up, salaries go up.

Sure, 48 mil total dollars. I could see that. 

On 7/28/2024 at 10:13 AM, Bob Long said:

If the cap sees another 4-5M jump I don't see how it isn't imo, cap just jumped 4.5M so it's not unrealistic to think we night see another similar jump