Jasper decimated by fire, up to 50% of the town is gone.

Dumb Nuck

Surprised there isn’t a thread yet, if so please delete.

Sad as we were there just after the playoffs, my daughter loved it, now it’s gone.

https://www.cp24.com/news/alberta-premier-says-a-third-perhaps-half-of-all-jasper-buildings-burned-by-fire-1.6976943

NOTE: this is a verified video from Jasper from today.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Sad 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

A few years back I wanted to go to Jasper for a vacation but my wife wanted to go to somewhere else. I put my sons in Sylvan Lake hockey camp in Jasper just to have a reason to holiday there. We stayed at Maligne river campground and went up to Miette while we were there. There was a music festival going on and I climbed the hill beside the rink and listened to Ashley MacIsaac perform while my sons were doing their thing. My wife was watching them and my daughter.

I used to go there with my family when I was a kid. We always stayed at the Maligne river campground and would also go up to Miette hot-springs. I remember walking around Jasper looking in shops etc. while my parents were having a few beers in the hotel. The weird sheep at Miette and hiking the trails. All the wildlife and beautiful scenery. So many great memories from there. What a loss. Very saddened by this.

• Like 1

So what happened to proper forestry management?? Why arent they building and maintaining firebreaks around towns in forested areas, in fact why hasnt this always been the practice in these types of areas??? Even the natives did this before the white guys showed up. Its such a simple preventative thing they could be doing. Think about all the money the government throws away at random stuff when they could put some dollars into something that makes sense. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Because it costs money and people whine incessantly about taxes as it is.  

Thats a pretty weak excuse, politicians certainly seem to get paid and so do a lot of their pet projects, you'd think if politicians were working for the people they'd do the right thing for the people who vote for them and pay their salaries 

• Cheers 1

Just now, 6YPE said:

Thats a pretty weak excuse, politicians certainly seem to get paid and so do a lot of their pet projects, you'd think if politicians were working for the people they'd do the right thing for the people who vote for them and pay their salaries 

Pretty weak excuse?  Do you think Albertans are going to elect a government that raises taxes?  A job that big is going to cost tens of millions of dollars, maybe hundreds.

I'm all for it, but doubtful most are

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 6YPE said:

Jasper and Banff are Parks Canada and are federally regulated. So Alberta and BC government can’t do squat other than make recommendations to Ottawa.

My wife and I love Jasper so it’s tough to watch.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

From what I read the fire covered 5 kilometres in 1/2 hour and the flames were 100 meters high. There was a lot of dead wood from pine beetles infestations that was known about for many years. I hope this is investigated.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

14 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

National parks are operated, maintained and controlled by federal government legislation.

You can’t lift so much as a twig in a national park without federal approval. 

National parks in Canada are federally funded. Provincial taxes do not go directly to national parks.

In 2020 - 2021 the Llberal federal budget for the entire national park system in Canada including marine parks was a measly $ 1.3 billion. 

Tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars is but a but a pittance of what governments give away outside of our borders. 

I'm talking forest management, overall.  Not just national parks

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

From what I read the fire covered 5 kilometres in 1/2 hour and the flames were 100 meters high. There was a lot of dead wood from pine beetles infestations that was known about mor many years. I hope this is investigated.

Investigated for what?  Every community in the west has loads of pine beetle kill

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

That’s pretty brutal. Jasper was such a beautiful spot. At least it seems like there weren’t many injuries / casualties, unless I missed that.

So far no casualties, the town was successfully evacuated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Investigated for what?  Every community in the west has loads of pine beetle kill

Why there were warnings many years ago that this would happen and nothing was done, those that decided to do nothing need to justify their decisions.

12 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

National parks are operated, maintained and controlled by federal government legislation.

National parks in Canada are federally funded. Provincial taxes do not go directly to national parks.

In 2020 - 2021 the Llberal federal budget for the entire national park system in Canada including marine parks was a measly $ 1.3 billion. 

Tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars is but a but a pittance of what governments give away outside of our borders. 

The 2016 Fort McMurray fires cost an estimated 9.9 Billion.... Wildfires are not going to improve over the years, if anything this is just a small sample of whats to come. 

Time to rethink and start making this a much, much higher priory. If a piece of Canada is burning, Canada comes together as a whole to stop it, and prevent it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Well, even though this is a Alberta problem, we in BC are in the same boat. I can not help but think that when we had the 1.6 billion surplus, we did not buy 10 water bombers.

Maybe with that and an agreement with Alberta to do the same, we could actually respond to these fires without putting so many people and properties in jeopardy.

Canada, with some of the largest forest, does little to protect them.

Driving through Manning Park 5 days ago and smelling the sweet smell of evergreens, it sickens me even more to think what Jasper smells like today!

Edited by JIAHN
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Well, even though this is a Alberta problem, we in BC are in the same boat. I can not help but think that when we had the 1.6 billion surplus, we did not buy 10 water bombers.

Maybe with that and an agreement with Alberta to do the same, we could actually respond to these fires without putting so many people and properties in jeopardy.

Canada, with some of the largest forest, do little to protect them.

Driving through Manning Park 5 days ago and smelling the sweet smell of evergreens, it sickens me even more to think what Jasper smells like today!

I mean it's a Alberta problem this day. That can change in a few hours, to BC's problem, like Kelowna and area last year, Lytton, etc. California does little to protect themselves, 2020 Australia was on fire. I'm not making this an environmental rant, but this is a world problem. Considering what it would take to buy 10 water bombers, maintain, and operate them, it still doesn't even come close to what it costs us in damage. There must be more to it than a few planes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

44 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

National parks are government funded.  Yup.  But the provinces maintain them.  Feds are only in charge of maintenance stewardship and infrastructure as the federal government does not now nor have they ever maintained any form of wildfire services.  the closest they ever came was post WW2 when they transferred control of some former ocean scout planes and heavy bombers for conversion to e used as fire bombing units.

These units were sold in the 60s to private firms and since the 70s every province has a team like Coulson, Conair, Biggcat or the like and private pilot teams that operate helicopters that fight fires.  

Again, unless you know what you're talking about.  Suggesting this is the federal governments fault is childish.

The last time the feds had any effect on a wildfire was when Harper and Clarke in BC pulled an entire brigade of fighters off of a line outside of Westbank to congratulate them and for the photo op.  Lemme tell ya, it was absolutely NOT a positive thing 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Vancan said:

I mean it's a Alberta problem this day. That can change in a few hours, to BC's problem, like Kelowna and area last year, Lytton, etc. California does little to protect themselves, 2020 Australia was on fire. I'm not making this an environmental rant, but this is a world problem. Considering what it would take to buy 10 water bombers, maintain, and operate them, it still doesn't even come close to what it costs us in damage. There must be more to it than a few planes.

It will take an entire reset to the approach we take to prevent and fight these blazes.  In BC there was decades of pesticides/herbicides spread over the forest which allowed for the endless die off and accumulation of fuel, it also killed natural pests that break down this fuel.

We have hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of beetle killed areas and the same volume of poorly logged sites that were never cleaned up properly.  

We have municipalities building in to the forests without proper mitigation plans let alone proper planning for these events.  The explosion of these subdivisions only exacerbates this.

We have governments cutting back on proscribed burns and cutting hundreds of individuals from fire teams and forestry management teams.  Our forestry management practices at the provincial level (which is the jurisdiction in charge) are decades old and need to be revised from the ground up.

A few planes won't help anything, because eventually these forests WILL burn.  It's the natural order of things.

Until we revise our entire way of approaching and managing things this will keep happening but that's not how we as a species operate.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It will take an entire reset to the approach we take to prevent and fight these blazes.  In BC there was decades of pesticides/herbicides spread over the forest which allowed for the endless die off and accumulation of fuel, it also killed natural pests that break down this fuel.

We have hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of beetle killed areas and the same volume of poorly logged sites that were never cleaned up properly.  

We have municipalities building in to the forests without proper mitigation plans let alone proper planning for these events.  The explosion of these subdivisions only exacerbates this.

We have governments cutting back on proscribed burns and cutting hundreds of individuals from fire teams and forestry management teams.  Our forestry management practices at the provincial level (which is the jurisdiction in charge) are decades old and need to be revised from the ground up.

A few planes won't help anything, because eventually these forests WILL burn.  It's the natural order of things.

Until we revise our entire way of approaching and managing things this will keep happening but that's not how we as a species operate.

Well put thanks.

Unfortunately though, we probably missed the mark to revise how we think and approach.

The planet has been doing this for billions of years, and wont stop just to appease our little blimp in time here. 

• Like 1