Jasper decimated by fire, up to 50% of the town is gone.

Dumb Nuck

3 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Do you realise how absurd, uninformed and wrong your statement is ?

From a reliable source 

https://time.com/7003081/photos-netanyahu-washington-dc-protests-demonstrations-police-clashes-arrests-capitol/

" We need to say not in our name " Irene Ippolito, a protestor is quoted as telling Al Jazeera.

" As AMERICAN CITIZENS we have to realise that this could not be taking place without our tax dollars " 

Calling people scum illustrates exactly what sort of person you are. 

I believe that the people who vandalized public property should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. 

As for comparing you to Jesus, you purport to believe in him, and presumably his teachings.

Do you believe Jesus would call these people scum ? 

Do you believe he would call anyone scum ?

While I don't believe what you do, I am certain that the Jesus I was taught about in school wouldn't call people scum.

And he wouldn't be happy with so called believers that do.

Anyone who supports HAMAS or any terrorist organization are scum. If you don’t like that then that’s your problem and you don’t need to keep replying to my posts and telling me Jesus hates my guts. If Jesus hates me for it so be it. That’s life. 

Anyways, this is the Jasper thread so consider this conversation over. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Anyone who supports HAMAS or any terrorist organization are scum. If you don’t like that then that’s your problem and you don’t need to keep replying to my posts and telling me Jesus hates my guts. If Jesus hates me for it so be it. That’s life. 

Yes, let's carry this over into the US politics thread.

53 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They are extremists who support and sympathize with a terrorist organization. They are scum and need to be arrested and deported. There is no way an actual US citizen would act in the same fashion as those scum.

The vermin who attempted to violently overthrow the government on January 6 weren't US citizens?  For a domestic example, look at the idiots who couldn't tell the difference between the National War Memorial and a urinal in Ottawa.

Edited by King Heffy
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What exactly is funny about a poster shilling for our government so hard that he never holds them accountable for anything? 

You think this post is funny and belongs in this thread?  You must think it’s funny because you didn’t call out the poster for it like you called me out. 

Create false statements, bear false witness and cry more.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, Bonton said:

Mckenna seemed to think it was her responsibility.

Again with keane bexte.  He's wrong.  Period.  Scroll back through the thread.  That's all I can say 

Taking a person like keane bexte as a voice worth listening to in a time of tragedy is like trusting a starving coyote with your chickens.

Except in this case the coyote cries when people don't give it attention 

Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Recall driving through Jasper(w/family) in the mid-70's. Very sad, sounds like paradise lost. Lytton(2 yrs back?) was sad too, loved trout fishing up there(Fountain Lake)

Also wonder if the poor folks in Palestine are leisurely surfing sporting sites in the ME, arguing whether the NA'n pine beetle is Actually a terrorist-infestation?!

Guess if folks wanna digress it's an open board. Certainly if this place were a daily newspaper, there'd be NO effin' sections(just all jumbled).

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Again with keane bexte.  He's wrong.  Period.  Scroll back through the thread.  That's all I can say 

Taking a person like keane bexte as a voice worth listening to in a time of tragedy is like trusting a starving coyote with your chickens.

Except in this case the coyote cries when people don't give it attention 

Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

Here is Media Biases assessment of his, whatever you want to call it, Counter Signal 

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-counter-signal-bias/

" Overall we rate the counter signal far right biased and questionable based on the promotion of conspiracy theories, a complete lack of transparency and false claims. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think you can summarily dismiss anyone who starts with the argument Jesus hates…
‘I am not religious but went to Catholic school and have read the source material and hate wasn’t really his thing.  A good part of the reason I am not religion is his constant manipulation of a seriously abridged and poorly translated oral history to justify whatever brand of hate is being pushed today. American evangelicals have used it to justify racism, sexism, gender based hate and continue to use Jesus to pour fuel on the fire of hatred. Again having read the source material, not really his thing. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, DSVII said:

Hopefully we act in time to save Banff. Anyone know a good place to donate for Jasper?

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/primed-to-burn-former-parks-canada-forestry-scientist-fears-the-worst-for-banff

I know you’re aware that it’s a far bigger problem than just Banff. Nova Scotia has extreme forest devastation spread across the province, particularly Cape Breton from Hurricane Fiona in 2022. I took this picture a few weeks ago at Fortress Louisburgh which is a Parks Canada crown jewel and sits amid probably 1000s of acres of dead forest.

IMG_9488.jpeg

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

It's too bad they don't include what forest land has also been affected on that map, just structures.  I think it would give a much more stark reality for people to digest than just that small segment of the landscaped area.

• Cheers 1

I doubt this will do much to convince the un-convincible but here goes:

Things could have been worse without decades of fire prevention efforts, says Jasper mayor

Decades of work to safeguard the community of Jasper against the threat of wildfires is being widely hailed for saving the town from total destruction.

During a news conference Monday, federal officials and the town's mayor applauded the work of firefighters and decades of parks staff in helping to prevent further damage to the historic townsite. 

"This is a success," Mayor Richard Ireland said in a news conference Monday. "We fortified our community and I credit Parks Canada for the work that they did on the landscape to protect our town.

"When the attack came, those defences worked," said Ireland, who lost his own home to the flames. "We suffered casualties, absolutely, and it is so incredibly hurtful, but we did hold our ground."

Work to fire-smart the community began in 2003 with regular prescribed burns and the installation of sprinkler systems in critical areas. 

"Parks Canada and our partners have done everything we reasonably could have done to reduce fire risk over many years and to be prepared for what may come." 

Timothy Kenny,  a spokesperson for Parks Canada, said the sections of forest near town that were hardest hit by the pine beetles, had been cleared out. Much of that work had been done along the southern outskirts of the community. 

The extreme volatility of the fire made all those efforts ineffective, he said. 

"This was not something that caught us blind-sided," he said. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/with-the-flames-expected-to-flare-crews-make-critical-progress-in-fighting-jasper-wildfire-1.7278443

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

very happy to see the Jasper Park Lodge made it. Lots of good memories at that place. 

Played the Atha-B (Athabasca Hotel) a few times back in my traveling musician days.....I wonder how it fared?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/with-the-flames-expected-to-flare-crews-make-critical-progress-in-fighting-jasper-wildfire-1.7278443

Good read ... Also as soon as Alberta requested aide to civil power the military was immediately deployed 

It's sad that conservative types are weaponizing such tragedy for personal propaganda gain.

The hate they are creating is ripping this country apart 

To be clear we can agree to disagree on what is causing the climate issues but it's fact that it isn't a conspiracy event and nor is it Trudeau's doing

Canadian history is full of events of towns burning to the ground where they are in forested areas 

The fact that 70% if Jasper was saved was due to decades of hard work by both provincial and federal planers

If I was in power the carbon tax would stay and rebates.ended. Those funds would provide a full time rapid domestic crisis team of thousands of skilled personnel... And when we don't have a crisis they would be doing that work to build fire barriers and clean up the forests dead full sources

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sad news as a firefighter has died after being hit by a falling tree.

An Alberta Wildland Fire employee died Saturday afternoon after a falling tree struck them while fighting an active fire northeast of Jasper.

RCMP say on Saturday at 2:15 pm members were notified of a serious injury sustained to an Alberta Wildland Fire Employee from a falling tree while fighting an active fire northeast of Jasper. The 24-year-old male firefighter was extracted from the scene by STARS and has been declared deceased.

The deceased was a resident of Calgary and based out of the Rocky Mountain House Fire Base. 

OH&S has been notified of the death and will be investigating.

“RCMP wish to express our heartfelt condolences to the family, friends, and co-workers of the deceased,” the release added.