My Ring of Honor Additions...

7 minutes ago, Jess said:

Personally, I think adding all these would lower the bar too much. I like that there's still significant exclusivity to the ROH. Edler will get in, but I'd leave everyone else out. Kesler and Horvat are the two on the fringe IMO. There could also be a case for Odjick's inclusion given his community involvement.

I had four for sures and four where I was leaning toward inclusion.  The rest were just to bring up some names people might want to learn about and who at least should be mentioned as possible even if unlikely candidates.

• Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, Jess said:

Personally, I think adding all these would lower the bar too much. I like that there's still significant exclusivity to the ROH. Edler will get in, but I'd leave everyone else out. Kesler and Horvat are the two on the fringe IMO. There could also be a case for Odjick's inclusion given his community involvement.

Same.  Edler definitely belongs there, and I think Gino should have been inducted for who he was as a person and a teammate. The rest water it down too much, including Kesler and Horvat in my books.  I'd love to see more pictures and memorabilia from the earlier eras displayed in Rogers arena though.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The following are some names from Vancouver hockey history - from the 1952-70 Canucks of the (at the time) Western Hockey League (which was more or less absorbed into the NHL in the 1970 expansion) and also the Vancouver Millionaires from the 1910s and 1920s who actually won the Stanley Cup.  Some of these names are mega-legends and beyond first ballot Hall of Famers and we're really lucky to have had them involved in Vancouver major hockey.  People also forget that Vancouver had a WHA team (the Blazers) for two years in the 70s.

program_img_tn.php?if=vancouver_blazers-

PHIL MALONEY

- Number one all time with a bullet in scoring for the WHL Canucks from 1954-1970.  818 games, 923 points, pretty much double the second place total for career points with the team.

JACK ADAMS  (yeah the guy the NHL's coach of the year trophy is named after)

- He is 2nd all time in Vancouver Millionaires career scoring as a player.  Worthy of something...statue, ROH, rafters, I don't know.  But this is pretty big time.

CYCLONE TAYLOR

- 3rd all time in Vancouver Millionaires scoring and the namesake of the team's Cyclone Taylor Trophy.  In the Hall of Fame.  Same treatment as Jack Adams.

HUGH LEHMAN

- Goalie for the Millionaires for years and a legendary Hall of Famer.  Actually 2nd all time in Millionaires games played by a skater or goalie.

SMOKEY HARRIS

- 1st all time in Millionaires scoring.

NEWSY LALONDE

- Only played one season for the Millionaires but a legendary Hall of Famer.  27 goals in 15 games for Vancouver.

LARRY POPEIN

- 2nd all time in games and points for the WHL Canucks (676 games, 463 points).

ART CHAPMAN

- Coach of the WHL Canucks for 9 years and led the team to two league championship victories.

BERT OLMSTEAD and ANDY BATHGATE

- Two massive Hall of Famers who coached the aforementioned teams - Olmstead the WHL Canucks and Bathgate the Blazers.  They didn't stick around too long but it's nice that such revered names are part of Vancouver major hockey history.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Same.  Edler definitely belongs there, and I think Gino should have been inducted for who he was as a person and a teammate. The rest water it down too much, including Kesler and Horvat in my books.  I'd love to see more pictures and memorabilia from the earlier eras displayed in Rogers arena though.

Completely agree with the potential for it becoming watered down, with should they/should they not be up there players. Not even sold on Edler. Gino should have serious consideration.

On that note and your thoughts on pics n memorabilia, maybe something honoring the ones that past. Gino, Bourdon, Demitra, Rypper, etc. Providing there already is not something like that already. 

17 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I agree they deserve mention.  Geoff's regular season games isn't even at 300 though...but boy does he make up for it with his playoff numbers.  Adams was great as well...he always just didn't seem to have the "it" factor that guys like Ronning and Tanti and Skriko did.  Scored a hell of an important goal though.  "Greg Adams, Greg Adams, Greg Adams!"

With respect to the "it" factor, another guy like that was Brent Ashton, just piled up his 60 or 70 points every year, reliable like clockwork, and then at the end people were like...who?  Mike Rogers had three 100 point seasons in a row in the NHL and people were like...who?

Adams might have been the only Canuck along with McLean and Linden who was there for both the legendary 1989 Flames series and the 1994 Cup run.

GEOFF COURTNALL

- Canucks games: 292.  Canucks points: 246.  NHL games: 1048.  NHL points: 799.

- Despite his brief stay in terms of seasons, he is up there among the Canuck greats in all time playoff numbers with 61 points in 65 games (still 5th all time after all these years in points).

GREG ADAMS

- Canucks games: 489.  Canucks points: 369.  NHL games: 1056.  NHL points: 743.

- 34 points in 53 playoff games, 11th all time for playoff points.

Courtnall  deserves to be there given some of the other guys on the list, isn't that far behind in games or seasons.   Definitely left an impression, when Skate comes up, so does he.   

Adam's too.   Because of exactly what you said about part of the early Linden teams core, and all those playoff series and games.   Had some very good regular seasons, and some mediocre ones, but sure had his moments in the post season's too.    He was a key component in those teams top six's.   Played with both Linden and Ronning. 

As for Courtnall, he was also a pest.  And always involved after whistles, and would occasionally back-up his mouth, use of lumber, edgy play.    The only issue I had with him, was he was streaky.  Would get cold for a couple weeks, then just fill the net for 3-5 games in a row.     

Like pretty much everyone  on those Quin teams, had the "it" factor as far as amping up his play in the post season.   Usually it's the opposite, his game was suited for the post season,  we wouldn't get we we did without him (same as Adam's).  Was on the team for 4.5 years.   And for awhile didn't like him because well Butcher was one of my favourite Canucks (definitely ROH candidate, a decade is a long time in hockey years).     Didn't take long to miss him (was odd to see him wearing St. Louis, but proud to see the C on his chest),  because well Ronning and Mommesso were so easy to like as was Courtnall, one of the best trades in club history, and best mult-player deal.    

To me he was part of those playoff (back when we could make the show year after year, and always make it to the second round, despite having to play  some really good teams) teams that make the skate so great.    

To me Babych, Ronning, Lumme should all be up there.    From those teams.   Get longevity has to be part of it as well.    Babych loves Vancouver and lives there a big part of the alumni.    No brainer.   Ronning 7 seasons (i think without looking up) yep, much better player then he gets credit for is a no brainer.   Lumme was a better defenseman than most of the ones on the 2011 team.   Doesn't get much love. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

To me Babych, Ronning, Lumme should all be up there.    From those teams.   Get longevity has to be part of it as well.    Babych loves Vancouver and lives there a big part of the alumni.    No brainer.   Ronning 7 seasons (i think without looking up) yep, much better player then he gets credit for is a no brainer.   Lumme was a better defenseman than most of the ones on the 2011 team.   Doesn't get much love. 

Yeah you can also tell who are iconic Canucks of the past when promos like this are made.  Hint, Babych and Ronning and Gino.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jess said:

There are a lot of players that @Kevin Biestra listed, that belong in the ROH before even considering Horvat.       Kesler has more reparations to make with the franchise otherwise yes for sure.    Odjick deserves a statue, special recognition outside of the ROH.   As for Edler, if he played as long as Lumme, it would be Lumme first.  Babych (a few years earlier, or just no PHI, was a huge part of their run to the final on a broken foot, played a key role for them),  Kearns, Lidster, McCarthy, Hamhuis, Aucoin, Jovonoksi... Longevity yes, he's a lock, .     The 80's and 90's maybe could used some more recognition.   Get the bar lowering.   Butchers's and Williams, and Babych's leadership abilities,  to pull the team into the fight >> then Horvat,  Kesler was like that too.    All about winning.     Also considering Burrows is up there, Bieksa is a lock for me as well. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah you can also tell who are iconic Canucks of the past when promos like this are made.  Hint, Babych and Ronning and Gino.

Wish the younger generations got to witness those teams.    The 82 team was  chocked full of character.   We haven't seen that for a very long time.   Tochett is working that culture again.  Different era.   Allvin sure recognizes that value, virtually everyone but Sprong are known for their intangibles this summer.   That matters.   Millers is a lock of current players, and, if things go right, number 9 has a chance of retirement.   Hard to believe how many were on his case ... Deb and me recognized it right away.    Bieksa says Miller reminds him of Kesler, in his desire to win is on that sleeve. 

guys others teams adored and wanted as well, it's why Quin was able to get so much for them.   Sundstrom and Butcher.  

Running, Babych, Gino ... The opposite could be said about trading Vaive for Williams.    Character counts, why Burrows is up there, Bieksa was a key member of that team too.   On the same level just on the D-corp.   Look at him now in his new profession, and the best sound bite in team history, the stuff he did ... taping off the hallway from NSH.   Brass balls, awesome teammate.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

There are a lot of players that @Kevin Biestra listed, that belong in the ROH before even considering Horvat.       Kesler has more reparations to make with the franchise otherwise yes for sure.    Odjick deserves a statue, special recognition outside of the ROH.   As for Edler, if he played as long as Lumme, it would be Lumme first.  Kearns, Lidster, McCarthy, Hamhuis, Aucoin, Jovonoksi... Longevity yes, he's a lock, .     The 80's and 90's maybe could used some more recognition.   Get the bar lowering.   Butchers's and Williams, and Babych's leadership abilities,  to pull the team into the fight >> then Horvat,  Kesler was like that too.    All about winning.     Also considering Burrows is up there, Bieksa is a lock for me as well. 

Yeah Horvat is actually up there in career games and goals but I still don't really have him anywhere near the ROH.  I probably have him around on par with Chris Oddleifson, as in a captain of a mostly forgettable era but for Horvat it was actually a dog shit era and he seemed to be a part of the mental problem a little bit.  Just a guy who had a respectable run but he doesn't really "feel" like a significant part of Canucks history.

I'd totally have a statue of Gino from his St. Louis Blues fight outside the rink.  And I might have Tiger and Ronning riding their sticks side by side.

Jeez, I think I totally forgot Kevin McCarthy in my list of guys who should at least be talked about.  Four really good years in a row I think by the pre-Hughes standards for Canucks blueliners.

Kesler and Bertuzzi...I think both would be up there but they made their beds with some bad decisions.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wish the younger generations got to witness those teams.    The 82 team was  chocked full of character.   We haven't seen that for a very long time.    Those guys others teams adored and wanted as well, it's why Quin was able to get so much for them.   Sundstrom and Butcher.  

Running, Babych, Gino ... The opposite could be said about trading Vaive for Williams.    Character counts, why Burrows is up there, Bieksa was a key member of that team too.   On the same level just on the D-corp.   Look at him now in his new profession, and the best sound bite in team history, the stuff he did ... taping off the hallway from NSH.   Brass balls, awesome teammate.   

Yeah that 82 lineup was fantastic.  People totally forget how great guys like Ivan Boldirev and Ivan Hlinka were.  They didn't have a single 100 point player but they could roll three lines of guys who could get 60 points and it added up.

Williams, Smyl, Gradin, Rota, Hlinka, Boldirev, Fraser, etc.  And then a handful of defensemen who could get 50 points - McCarthy, Lanz, Halward.  Those three and Snepsts each might have been the 2nd best defenseman on the Islanders dynasty.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

On 7/27/2024 at 12:47 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Still decent European scouting to this day.  A shame our domestic (BC/Rest of Canada) isn't remotely as good.  A disgrace (imho) a guy like Brendan Gallagher (just *ONE* example), who played pretty much right in our own backyard wasn't drafted by us (not like he was a high draft pick).

You'd think seasons tickets to Langley to watch the Giants play, gets you a chance not only to see the Giants, but other players in the WHL.

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2024 at 12:55 PM, Jess said:

Lidster is also on the fringe. 11th highest games played as a Canuck (5th among defensemen), 6th in defensemen scoring, and wore an A for 5 seasons plus the C for 1 (Linden's transition year). Plus he later came back to the team as an assistant coach.

Horvat is definitely in a weird situation where by the numbers he should be considered: 8th in goals, 10th in points, 12th in games played, and served as captain for 4 seasons. But he also never really accomplished anything in Vancouver. It's probably a situation where if he signs a two year retirement contract to finish his career in Vancouver he will get in but right now he'll probably get forgotten about.

Edited by Diamonds

On 7/27/2024 at 1:01 PM, Snoop Hogg said:

All jokes aside, could Alex Mogilny be considered for a ROH induction? I know he didn’t play for us that long and was during some lean times, but he still produced offensively. 

Sure. One of my all-time favorite canucks.

On 7/28/2024 at 5:33 AM, IBatch said:

As for Courtnall, he was also a pest.  And always involved after whistles, and would occasionally back-up his mouth, use of lumber, edgy play.    The only issue I had with him, was he was streaky.  Would get cold for a couple weeks, then just fill the net for 3-5 games in a row.     

Lumme was a better defenseman than most of the ones on the 2011 team.   Doesn't get much love. 

I saw an interview with a canuck player years ago (just can't remember who) that said pat Quinn told courtnall in the intermission that if he didn't get out there and do something he would rip his head off, followed by firing a garbage can across the room.

Courtnall went out and scored that big goal against calgary. 

Speaking of lumme, when we first got him from the Canadians he was the biggest turnover machine in the NHL. But pat Quinn kept throwing him out there and he eventually played his way through it. 

Loved Pat Quinn. Loved Lumme too. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I saw an interview with a canuck player years ago (just can't remember who) that said pat Quinn told courtnall in the intermission that if he didn't get out there and do something he would rip his head off, followed by firing a garbage can across the room.

Courtnall went out and scored that big goal against calgary. 

Speaking of lumme, when we first got him from the Canadians he was the biggest turnover machine in the NHL. But pat Quinn kept throwing him out there and he eventually played his way through it. 

Loved Pat Quinn. Loved Lumme too. 

Then Plavsic.   Made Lumme's look like tape to tape saucer passer, then Hedican could overlook a lot because of well Brwon, and he could easily get back into position.   Aucion seemed like a downgrade for us for several years.    Lumme must have knocked a couple hours off the PK clock over  almost a decade of service, with his long high bombs, rather then fire it down for the goalie to gather it.  Clock ticker.   Not bad for a second round? pick right).    Babych was an anchor with Diduck.    Murzyn set a club record (34?) in club history and close to the best in the league in 92-93, good sidekick for Lumme.    Diduck made few mistakes, went about his business.   Hedican Brown came in, and well, could match them up well with any of the 2011 line combo's.    With Ohlund in the back burner ... reasons for optimism.  Don't think the 2011 group was better.

As for the interview would like to hear it.   Didn't ever get that from them at the time.    They all felt respected that i'm aware of as a coach.  Aside from Nedved getting way too greedy for the time, never heard a player say a bad thing about Quin.   That wasn't his way (screaming and yelling and throwing things, that's a Babcock move).   I used to a lot by the Courtnalls, (big mansions)  thought about introducing myself often.    Saw them often enough.    Maybe I can ask about that indirectly.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 2:38 PM, Diamonds said:

Lidster is also on the fringe. 11th highest games played as a Canuck (5th among defensemen), 6th in defensemen scoring, and wore an A for 5 seasons plus the C for 1 (Linden's transition year). Plus he later came back to the team as an assistant coach.

Horvat is definitely in a weird situation where by the numbers he should be considered: 8th in goals, 10th in points, 12th in games played, and served as captain for 4 seasons. But he also never really accomplished anything in Vancouver. It's probably a situation where if he signs a two year retirement contract to finish his career in Vancouver he will get in but right now he'll probably get forgotten about.

Too many other guys who were better players that played long enough to be considered.   Like a dozen or so guys.   For Horvat.   Lidster has a better shot for sure.  Lumme a better one considering he was our top pairing from nowhere, most of the time with us. 

Edited by IBatch

348 games 92 goals 114 assists    206 points    651 pims as a Canuck

704 games 193 goals 240 assists  433 points 1306 pims in the NHL

Curt Fraser.

Not sure if he's ROH, but should on our 'plaque of fame" - once we get one started.

As for my locks and considering who's already in, not a tough list:

Gino (ok actually think he deserves to be immortalized in a separate way,  a statue works.    Nobody else name got chanted like his.    And think the bar for seasons, should be around 5-6.   That's close enough to a full NHL career. 

Lumme.  Ohlunds is in, so should Lumme.  And as players go, same number of games played he's the cream of the crop still.   For retired player.  Participates in community stufF

Lidster and Kearns not for off 

Babych. too many playoff things and we'll look at those arms/legs he was the league's strongman.   Second pairing with Diduck shows how valid and important his minutes were for the team.  

Ronning, he should be up already.  Wish others got to see him, sad day when we let him walk to open.   Would be no Gretzky almost and no Messier, Orca fuss hanging around like a stinky far.   Scored big goals, epics series.

Kesler, no brainer be kind and fix things. Stop feeling to much.    He's a no brainer.

Biesksa he's in as soon as Burrows stuff died down m.

Then things get a bit trickier:

Jovo-cop.  One more season likely would have done it, 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, IBatch said:

As for my locks and considering who's already in, not a tough list:

Gino (ok actually think he deserves to be immortalized in a separate way,  a statue works.    Nobody else name got chanted like his.    And think the bar for seasons, should be around 5-6.   That's close enough to a full NHL career. 

Lumme.  Ohlunds is in, so should Lumme.  And as players go, same number of games played he's the cream of the crop still.   For retired player.  Participates in community stufF

Lidster and Kearns not for off 

Babych. too many playoff things and we'll look at those arms/legs he was the league's strongman.   Second pairing with Diduck shows how valid and important his minutes were for the team.  

Ronning, he should be up already.  Wish others got to see him, sad day when we let him walk to open.   Would be no Gretzky almost and no Messier, Orca fuss hanging around like a stinky far.   Scored big goals, epics series.

Kesler, no brainer be kind and fix things. Stop feeling to much.    He's a no brainer.

Biesksa he's in as soon as Burrows stuff died down m.

Then things get a bit trickier:

Jovo-cop.  One more season likely would have done it,

Jovanovski...kind of cursed by being in the Cloutier era when it came to the playoffs but he was consistently good.  Five seasons in a row where he got votes for the Norris or the postseason All Star Teams.

I remember when for a week or so in a failed experiment the Canucks retired #7 for the fans as "the 7th man on the ice" and they brought Ronning out to do it.  Was kind of lame to officially retire #7 for two weeks and bring out the real #7 himself to do it because he is so associated with the jersey and then he doesn't even get the ROH.

It's actually a pretty storied jersey number in Vancouver.  I have both Ronning and Boudrias in the ROH myself, and Boudrias probably ahead of Ronning just barely.  But it was also worn by Barry Pederson for several years, Pit Martin (over 800 points, for the first few decades one of the best players to ever wear the jersey), Dan Quinn, Gary Lupul, B.Mo (has a YouTube channel now).

#5 was worn with pride as well for almost 20 straight years.  From Garth Butcher (81-91) directly to Dana Murzyn (91-99).

Edited by Kevin Biestra

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Then Plavsic.   Made Lumme's look like tape to tape saucer passer, then Hedican could overlook a lot because of well Brwon, and he could easily get back into position.   Aucion seemed like a downgrade for us for several years.    Lumme must have knocked a couple hours off the PK clock over  almost a decade of service, with his long high bombs, rather then fire it down for the goalie to gather it.  Clock ticker.   Not bad for a second round? pick right).    Babych was an anchor with Diduck.    Murzyn set a club record (34?) in club history and close to the best in the league in 92-93, good sidekick for Lumme.    Diduck made few mistakes, went about his business.   Hedican Brown came in, and well, could match them up well with any of the 2011 line combo's.    With Ohlund in the back burner ... reasons for optimism.  Don't think the 2011 group was better.

As for the interview would like to hear it.   Didn't ever get that from them at the time.    They all felt respected that i'm aware of as a coach.  Aside from Nedved getting way too greedy for the time, never heard a player say a bad thing about Quin.   That wasn't his way (screaming and yelling and throwing things, that's a Babcock move).   I used to a lot by the Courtnalls, (big mansions)  thought about introducing myself often.    Saw them often enough.    Maybe I can ask about that indirectly.  

I think Quinn was a guy who would do that maybe once in a blue moon and it would be impactful because it wasn't a commonplace thing.  Kind of like when Brad Pitt gets mad in the locker room in Moneyball when Giambi's brother is dancing after losing a game.

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

So you probably saw courtnalls red beamer?  Jump started him and McLean at the airport once. Pretty ugly car. 

I can totally picture pat Quinn losing his shit.