A genuine apology

AnthonyG

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

You’re right, something I’m clearly still learning and working on.

alright man, I’m sorry I took it wrong. 

All good dude, and I apologize if my post came out wrong and you interrupted it different then my intention. I actually re-read it a few times and figured it was safe before I submitted it... And even toned it down...

I've had zero issue with you in the past outside of the personal attacks. Love when people have hot takes like yours with Benning. Love when people defend their point of view passionately. Love a good hockey debate, said that earlier. I just have zero respect whatsoever for people who turn to personal attacks in these types of debates. I also have non-issue voicing my opinion on such matters. If you are planning on dropping the personal attacks, I truely do look forward to having some good debates in the future, just like my original post said.

The second part of the original post about winning poster of the day was some light razzing since I saw you had recently been checking on my profile. Nothing more, nothing less. Was not trying to insult you are certainly not pleasuring myself over it lol.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

Unless you fucked one of the Mods sister, girlfriend, wife and or mother and never called them again you shouldn't ever apologize for SHIT here!  Forget even this forum.. Never give a shit about what other people think of your opinions in this world period! Fuck those guys!  Say what you truly feel on this message board & stand by it.

There is some truth to this.  If OP is apologizing for personal attacks, that's good.  If OP is apologizing because he has a different perspective on Benning's tenure than others, then this is kind of a dumb thread.  People shouldn't have to apologize because they have different opinions on a topic lol

• Cheers 3

On 7/27/2024 at 2:04 PM, AnthonyG said:

First off I would like to apologize to everyone here for my heated debates here on the forums. I hope that you all can understand it comes from a deep set passion for hockey and being a diehard fan of this team. I’ve played competitive hockey my entire life. My passion for the sport and this team are as strong as it gets, as many of you are just the same. We may not always agree or see eye to eye but I would hope that we can have an open mind and be receptive of each others take. I see the general take on every matter, I just take a different approach to how I see it from the other side. I find it as a way to maybe reduce some of the negativity if people try eating from the other side of the table. I fight for positive light on negative topics. I always aim to look at the positive in any situation. I’ve always brought stats and facts to the table to shed light on certain matters that may help provide an understanding of certain player performances, season shortcomings or whatever it is. Or even just a more in depth look at players recently acquired to give a better idea to people who aren’t aware who a guy like Teddy Bleuger is, or Forbort etc.

I would to apologize and have a fresh start over with the moderators, general public of the forums and particularly 

@Alflives

@Gawdzukes

@48MPHSlapshot

@Provost

@MeanSeanBean

@Bob Long

If someone could pass along the apology to the names mentioned above. As I am most definitely on their ignore list after several heated exchanges, that would be greatly appreciated.

To the forum moderators I apologize for the heated debates, unnecessary overtop comments and getting so wrapped up and not just that for just engaging in such arguments that I could just as easily ignore and choose not to. Which is my own fault for not taking the high road and avoiding shit and causing things to spiral off topic. My passion for the sport and this team gets the best of me at times and I am sorry and hope that you can all forgive me and have a bit more of an understanding that I am a Canuck fan at heart and we are all cheering and supporting the same team and we will all be celebrating a Stanley cup win within the next 3 years. The future is bright, the window has just opened and beneath that window is a healthy growing garden of up and coming prospects that will continue to extend this window and play critical roles in Vancouver winning its first Stanley cup and I truly believe this core is on the up at the perfect time to win multiple cups in under 7 years. I love this team, I love coming to the forums and getting into the analytics and providing research on things that we can look forward to, so please let’s have a start over because I do wish to have these conversations and debates with all of you, I don’t want to have to block someone and  not hear what they have to say and possibly back them up on their point or provide my angle and see if it changes someone’s view towards something positive. 

it's ok i get heated debates with some ppl here all the time that ends up going sideways and then some resorts to using insults which i honestly can careless about.. you are behind a keyboard do i really care about what you say? if it gets bad enough i just put them on ignore no big deal.. if i get angry over forum post?? hate to see what i'd be like irl lol.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

There is some truth to this.  If OP is apologizing for personal attacks, that's good.  If OP is apologizing because he has a different perspective on Benning's tenure than others, then this is kind of a dumb thread.  People shouldn't have to apologize because they have different opinions on a topic lol

I'm pretty sure the apology was not because of the opinion (we are all entitled to ours) but about the form in which he tried to deliver his opinion previously.

• ThereItIs 1

I've been outside looking in when I occasionally come into the forums with all of this. However, this is how I look at debates...

I like to think of a debate as 2 people with differing opinions trying to learn and get a better understanding of the subject. Obviously, not everyone is going to think of it the same way, but I've found if I approach each debate that way, it encourages the other to listen since you are (ideally) listening yourself.

So, for example, with Benning. Obviously, he's done some good things in the past. However, obviously he's also done some not so good things in the past. Therefore, there are going to be people like you who like Benning and there are other people who are going to dislike Benning. Same thing can be said with Gillis or with Nonis or literally with any GM under the sun.

So you know why you like Benning and you know that's your opinion, so is it going to cause you harm to learn why people don't like Benning? Even if it somehow changed your opinion, is that a bad thing, or is that you becoming more intellectual about it? And I'm not saying you have to change your opinion, just consider the options and see if perhaps you have some biases in the way. 🙂

All in all, I think you have a tendency to debate with your heart more than your brain, which can be fine in some circumstances. That's passion after all. I'm guilty of it as well. I'm glad you're willing to apologize and try and make things right. I think it's a step in the right direction. Biggest thing now is actions speak louder than words. 😉

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Opinion:

Marchant never needed to be dirty, he was more than good enough to let his skill, effort and heart guild him.  (I believe he'd have at least one more cup) Instead, he's always felt like he had to do more, prove more...  But as a result, some of his shitty actions have overshadowed his most important elite traits.  

Let your knowledge and fact finding abilities shine through.... Don't allow some of these posters, drag you down to play dirty... It makes it hard to follow you when you go there. It stains all your hard work. 

Cheers

Good call! Solid advice!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

@AnthonyG

Good on you for even thinking about it!

Opinions are like assholes, every one has one! So don't even give that a second thought! Alf may even have 2! (I don't know?)

I seldom insult, but love going after trolls. (You are absolutely not a troll, so I usually read you comments and think about them. I seldom comment back, because they usually have good points in them. (Don't always agree, but what the heck!)

Just saddle the anger and frustration, like you suggested, and keep on posting! Again, good on you for apologizing, now I just hope people accept it and applaud it.

Good Job!

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

On 7/27/2024 at 2:04 PM, AnthonyG said:

First off I would like to apologize to everyone here for my heated debates here on the forums. I hope that you all can understand it comes from a deep set passion for hockey and being a diehard fan of this team. I’ve played competitive hockey my entire life. My passion for the sport and this team are as strong as it gets, as many of you are just the same. We may not always agree or see eye to eye but I would hope that we can have an open mind and be receptive of each others take. I see the general take on every matter, I just take a different approach to how I see it from the other side. I find it as a way to maybe reduce some of the negativity if people try eating from the other side of the table. I fight for positive light on negative topics. I always aim to look at the positive in any situation. I’ve always brought stats and facts to the table to shed light on certain matters that may help provide an understanding of certain player performances, season shortcomings or whatever it is. Or even just a more in depth look at players recently acquired to give a better idea to people who aren’t aware who a guy like Teddy Bleuger is, or Forbort etc.

I would to apologize and have a fresh start over with the moderators, general public of the forums and particularly 

@Alflives

@Gawdzukes

@48MPHSlapshot

@Provost

@MeanSeanBean

@Bob Long

If someone could pass along the apology to the names mentioned above. As I am most definitely on their ignore list after several heated exchanges, that would be greatly appreciated.

To the forum moderators I apologize for the heated debates, unnecessary overtop comments and getting so wrapped up and not just that for just engaging in such arguments that I could just as easily ignore and choose not to. Which is my own fault for not taking the high road and avoiding shit and causing things to spiral off topic. My passion for the sport and this team gets the best of me at times and I am sorry and hope that you can all forgive me and have a bit more of an understanding that I am a Canuck fan at heart and we are all cheering and supporting the same team and we will all be celebrating a Stanley cup win within the next 3 years. The future is bright, the window has just opened and beneath that window is a healthy growing garden of up and coming prospects that will continue to extend this window and play critical roles in Vancouver winning its first Stanley cup and I truly believe this core is on the up at the perfect time to win multiple cups in under 7 years. I love this team, I love coming to the forums and getting into the analytics and providing research on things that we can look forward to, so please let’s have a start over because I do wish to have these conversations and debates with all of you, I don’t want to have to block someone and  not hear what they have to say and possibly back them up on their point or provide my angle and see if it changes someone’s view towards something positive. 

Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

Im on his ignore list so I don't really care much about his apology. Good for him to apologize the rest of the people that got offended by his comments. I'll admit, I pissed him off a few times (hence me being ignored) and probably escalated the issue further so yeah, I'll put the L on that one on me

We've had differing opinions going way back in CDC and it got quite nasty, the point being of course the Benning vs Gillis debate. Its fine if people have different opinions and both GMs had their faults, but what I don't like is excuses. Im not a big fan of making excuses not just here but life in general and Im not the type that hates on somebody's success. I think im living a pretty good life, very very comfortable on what ive done and accomplished, but I have peers and im sure some people here probably have it better than I do. For me to hate on that, for example, somebody becoming a doctor by working 3 jobs or having daddy's trustfund funding your education, why does that matter? The goal was reached. Maybe its just the era we live in where we can pull up info at anytime, analytics, we can paint lipstick on a pig and makes things better look like than what it already seems. Winning is winning, and losing is losing. We can get all the analytics on a player which paints him on a good light, but in the end, we all watch the games and most of us agree, OEL is terrible. There's too much onus on the deep numbers but forgetting what we actually saw

Either way, back to Anthony, its water under the bridge, I never took his personal all too seriously. Frankly, we are just users on a forum and we contribute nothing to each others lives in the grand scheme of things

Edited by filthy animal
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Im on his ignore list so I don't really care much about his apology. Good for him to apologize the rest of the people that got offended by his comments. I'll admit, I pissed him off a few times (hence me being ignored) and probably escalated the issue further so yeah, I'll put the L on that one on me

We've had differing opinions going way back in CDC and it got quite nasty, the point being of course the Benning vs Gillis debate. Its fine if people have different opinions and both GMs had their faults, but what I don't like is excuses. Im not a big fan of making excuses not just here but life in general and Im not the type that hates on somebody's success. I think im living a pretty good life, very very comfortable on what ive done and accomplished, but I have peers and im sure some people here probably have it better than I do. For me to hate on that, for example, somebody becoming a doctor by working 3 jobs or having daddy's trustfund funding your education, why does that matter? The goal was reached. Maybe its just the era we live in where we can pull up info at anytime, analytics, we can paint lipstick on a pig and makes things better look like than what it already seems. Winning is winning, and losing is losing. We can get all the analytics on a player which paints him on a good light, but in the end, we all watch the games and most of us agree, OEL is terrible. There's too much onus on the deep numbers but forgetting what we actually saw

Either way, back to Anthony, its water under the bridge, I never took his personal all too seriously. Frankly, we are just users on a forum and we contribute nothing to each others lives in the grand scheme of things

Sorry your name should have been listed as well, my bad. 

And hey don’t say you don’t contribute anything to my life. You contributed boiling blood to my system. 🤣 

• Cheers 1

On 7/27/2024 at 9:33 PM, AnthonyG said:

I just stepped up with a genuine apology and this is your response? seriously??
try appreciation, maybe apologize in return for your own antics and ignorance. Or just accept the apology and move on and agree to start over. Not sit here and stroke yourself off because of things in the past that are so long ago.  
Crappy contributors don’t provide any true facts and evidence, only closed mind opinions. I have continually brought in depth analytics to back my points. You and I don’t see eye to eye because you refuse to believe in statistics and you won’t put in the effort to do your own research to back your own argument.

I’ve broken down so many of the most heated debates and shown the numbers that have backed my perspective and as of right now my view on the organization and how it was run the last 9 years has put us in a contender conversation sooner than 10 other perpetually rebuilding organizations and that the age swing was going to favour us in this time period as of 2-3 years ago when I broke it down. 

To call me a crappy contributor and to respond like this….. what’s the point of taking any accountability if this is going to be the response of a particular individual who I specifically named and wanted to start over with.

I read your apology, and then I was curious, so I put your apology into AI to see how sincere it was, and it said the following: 

Length and Focus: The apology is quite long and veers into justifying the behavior rather than focusing on the impact on others. This can dilute the sincerity.

Lack of Direct Responsibility: Phrases like "my passion gets the best of me" can come across as deflecting responsibility. A more direct acknowledgment of the behavior's impact on others would be stronger.

Over-Explanation: The lengthy explanations about the author's passion for the sport and detailed references to stats and player knowledge can seem like excuses rather than sincere apologies.

Insufficient Personal Accountability: While the apology mentions the author's heated debates and over-the-top comments, it doesn’t fully acknowledge the hurt or disruption caused to others.

Conditional Apology: Statements like "I hope you can understand" and "I fight for positive light" can make the apology seem conditional, as if the author is seeking validation rather than offering an unconditional apology.

I'm having a hard time disagreeing with AI's critique, as the personal attacks are not okay, and your reply to the poster above seems like you didn't learn anything or truly see your wrongdoing, but I digress. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I read your apology, and then I was curious, so I put your apology into AI to see how sincere it was, and it said the following: 

Length and Focus: The apology is quite long and veers into justifying the behavior rather than focusing on the impact on others. This can dilute the sincerity.

Lack of Direct Responsibility: Phrases like "my passion gets the best of me" can come across as deflecting responsibility. A more direct acknowledgment of the behavior's impact on others would be stronger.

Over-Explanation: The lengthy explanations about the author's passion for the sport and detailed references to stats and player knowledge can seem like excuses rather than sincere apologies.

Insufficient Personal Accountability: While the apology mentions the author's heated debates and over-the-top comments, it doesn’t fully acknowledge the hurt or disruption caused to others.

Conditional Apology: Statements like "I hope you can understand" and "I fight for positive light" can make the apology seem conditional, as if the author is seeking validation rather than offering an unconditional apology.

I'm having a hard time disagreeing with AI's critique, as the personal attacks are not okay, and your reply to the poster above seems like you didn't learn anything or truly see your wrongdoing, but I digress. 

AI doesn’t have feelings or a conscience and it sure as hell doesn’t know me as person. Absolutely I have said things that are not cool. Doesn’t mean I’m not a genuinely caring person of everyone around me. Anytime I see someone with a brake light out, I do my best to catch them at the intersection and let them know as a courtesy because rarely anyone knows they have one outs my passion can extends in both directions, I can be kind and caring, but if you piss me off I can be an asshole. I took time to reflect, I took action, I cleared a blocked list and asked for others to extend my apology to the ones who likely had me on block to let them know I don’t want to silence them and do wish to hear their opinions and Ideas .I am genuinely sorry for getting so heated. I never had to give a single apology to anyone behind a screen. But I did feel remorse for my actions, I do wish to be part of this community and I have to make changes in order to remain part of this community which I find is worth the time and effort to make the changes to continue being here. Ultimately it’s just not right to talk to anyone that way. Which playing hockey my whole life is hard to drop once things get heated. The forums is what I love to do in my spare time. I fucking love this team and the sport and do not want to miss out on what I enjoy. Everyone expresses themselves differently when they say or show thanks same goes for an apology. My dad has never said thank you to me for the help I have given him and it frustrated me a little. But my mom explained he may not say, but you understand he will show it without saying. Some people can just say sorry and keep the rest to themselves and aren’t as passionate and sincere sounding but inside they are sincerely feeling it and processing how to make changes. As you should be well aware I post quite lengthy topics and responses on the forums because I am an over sharer, I don’t have to say all these things to say sorry but I feel I need verbalize it to help process the things I’ve done that need to be rectified.

Why bring such a thing into an apology thread and try to discredit someone who showed change within this thread. I misunderstood someone’s response and then apologized for misunderstanding instead of firing back again. That is genuine change. I even clearly agreed with another user that they are right I shouldn’t have engaged right away and that was without even making a personal attack. I admitted I should have left it and it’s something I’m still working on. It’s not easy to just change over night, but I am making a more conscious effort. 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

AI doesn’t have feelings or a conscience and it sure as hell doesn’t know me as person. Absolutely I have said things that are not cool. Doesn’t mean I’m not a genuinely caring person of everyone around me. Anytime I see someone with a brake light out, I do my best to catch them at the intersection and let them know as a courtesy because rarely anyone knows they have one outs my passion can extends in both directions, I can be kind and caring, but if you piss me off I can be an asshole. I took time to reflect, I took action, I cleared a blocked list and asked for others to extend my apology to the ones who likely had me on block to let them know I don’t want to silence them and do wish to hear their opinions and Ideas .I am genuinely sorry for getting so heated. I never had to give a single apology to anyone behind a screen. But I did feel remorse for my actions, I do wish to be part of this community and I have to make changes in order to remain part of this community which I find is worth the time and effort to make the changes to continue being here. Ultimately it’s just not right to talk to anyone that way. Which playing hockey my whole life is hard to drop once things get heated. The forums is what I love to do in my spare time. I fucking love this team and the sport and do not want to miss out on what I enjoy. Everyone expresses themselves differently when they say or show thanks same goes for an apology. My dad has never said thank you to me for the help I have given him and it frustrated me a little. But my mom explained he may not say, but you understand he will show it without saying. Some people can just say sorry and keep the rest to themselves and aren’t as passionate and sincere sounding but inside they are sincerely feeling it and processing how to make changes. As you should be well aware I post quite lengthy topics and responses on the forums because I am an over sharer, I don’t have to say all these things to say sorry but I feel I need verbalize it to help process the things I’ve done that need to be rectified.

Why bring such a thing into an apology thread and try to discredit someone who showed change within this thread. I misunderstood someone’s response and then apologized for misunderstanding instead of firing back again. That is genuine change. I even clearly agreed with another user that they are right I shouldn’t have engaged right away and that was without even making a personal attack. I admitted I should have left it and it’s something I’m still working on. It’s not easy to just change over night, but I am making a more conscious effort. 

I hear ya, man. It's hard to apologize, but it's also sometimes even harder to know how to offer a sincere apology in the first place. AI may not have feelings or a conscious, but it's a good tool for many things, even to analyze and critique such a thing as an apology, as it knows what to parse out. Me posting it was a way to show the areas where the apology was lacking, as we all can in one way or another, so in a way I guess it has helped. Cheers, mate.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I hear ya, man. It's hard to apologize, but it's also sometimes even harder to know how to offer a sincere apology in the first place. AI may not have feelings or a conscious, but it's a good tool for many things, even to analyze and critique such a thing as an apology, as it knows what to parse out. Me posting it was a way to show the areas where the apology was lacking, as we all can in one way or another, so in a way I guess it has helped. Cheers, mate.

Which is why I was trying to use my dad as an example with what my mom explained. We all show things differently and some of us or only capable of saying just sorry or just thank you, others say sorry for this or thank you for that and some form expression shows the sincerity. To say it isn’t entirely to mean it, but to show it is to own it. And I fully intend to own my apology and continue to make that change not only for the forums, but just in general. Not a good quality. Thanks for the follow up explanation, I was a little confused as to what the narrative was.

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

The reality is apologies are easy. @AnthonyG could have just gotten ChatGTP to whip up a dissertation level essay dripping in self flagellation and sackcloth level prostration, but instead he wrote what is true to him.

Apologies said over text based mediums are inherently lacking in nuance as the ability to gauge a persons emotional sate are non-existent.

In these instances future actions are all that can be used to gauge the veracity of the individuals sincerity.

We are all very flawed creatures, so given that the intention of the thread was to mend potentially burned bridges, would it not have been more constructive to encourage the future growth and healthy debates that @AnthonyG was expressing his desire to continue to engage in going forward?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1