A genuine apology

AnthonyG

On 7/27/2024 at 5:04 PM, AnthonyG said:

First off I would like to apologize to everyone here for my heated debates here on the forums. I hope that you all can understand it comes from a deep set passion for hockey and being a diehard fan of this team. I’ve played competitive hockey my entire life. My passion for the sport and this team are as strong as it gets, as many of you are just the same. We may not always agree or see eye to eye but I would hope that we can have an open mind and be receptive of each others take. I see the general take on every matter, I just take a different approach to how I see it from the other side. I find it as a way to maybe reduce some of the negativity if people try eating from the other side of the table. I fight for positive light on negative topics. I always aim to look at the positive in any situation. I’ve always brought stats and facts to the table to shed light on certain matters that may help provide an understanding of certain player performances, season shortcomings or whatever it is. Or even just a more in depth look at players recently acquired to give a better idea to people who aren’t aware who a guy like Teddy Bleuger is, or Forbort etc.

I would to apologize and have a fresh start over with the moderators, general public of the forums and particularly 

@Alflives

@Gawdzukes

@48MPHSlapshot

@Provost

@MeanSeanBean

@Bob Long

If someone could pass along the apology to the names mentioned above. As I am most definitely on their ignore list after several heated exchanges, that would be greatly appreciated.

To the forum moderators I apologize for the heated debates, unnecessary overtop comments and getting so wrapped up and not just that for just engaging in such arguments that I could just as easily ignore and choose not to. Which is my own fault for not taking the high road and avoiding shit and causing things to spiral off topic. My passion for the sport and this team gets the best of me at times and I am sorry and hope that you can all forgive me and have a bit more of an understanding that I am a Canuck fan at heart and we are all cheering and supporting the same team and we will all be celebrating a Stanley cup win within the next 3 years. The future is bright, the window has just opened and beneath that window is a healthy growing garden of up and coming prospects that will continue to extend this window and play critical roles in Vancouver winning its first Stanley cup and I truly believe this core is on the up at the perfect time to win multiple cups in under 7 years. I love this team, I love coming to the forums and getting into the analytics and providing research on things that we can look forward to, so please let’s have a start over because I do wish to have these conversations and debates with all of you, I don’t want to have to block someone and  not hear what they have to say and possibly back them up on their point or provide my angle and see if it changes someone’s view towards something positive. 

A super Nobel apology indeed. Especially the fact that you are apologizing to a group of individuals that sleight not only you, but the silent majority of this forum that hold conservative and religious values, at every chance they get. 

• Cheers 3

15 hours ago, Supreme17 said:

The reality is apologies are easy. @AnthonyG could have just gotten ChatGTP to whip up a dissertation level essay dripping in self flagellation and sackcloth level prostration, but instead he wrote what is true to him.

Apologies said over text based mediums are inherently lacking in nuance as the ability to gauge a persons emotional sate are non-existent.

In these instances future actions are all that can be used to gauge the veracity of the individuals sincerity.

We are all very flawed creatures, so given that the intention of the thread was to mend potentially burned bridges, would it not have been more constructive to encourage the future growth and healthy debates that @AnthonyG was expressing his desire to continue to engage in going forward?

Apologies, for some, are not easy. There is a lot to learn about what makes an apology sincere, and the reality is that lots don't know how and therefore don't follow through with being better the next time around. If someone apologizes with justifications for their actions, do they truly know what they did wrong; do they truly believe they did something wrong? If someone doesn't recognize the impact their actions have on others, are they actually holding themselves fully accountable? Lastly, if someone lays conditions on the line with their apology - i.e. expects others to also apologize in order for the relationship to work (when they were the one getting out of line and not the other way around) - are they, again, actually believing they did something wrong and holding themselves accountable for their actions? 

Saving face and offering a sincere apology are two different things, and I think there was a mixture of both within the original post of this thread. But, then AG's response to a poster was quickly heated and defensive and continued the justification of his actions, which lead to believe that not much was, in fact, learned and it was more about the former and not the latter. But, following, AG continued to show he's aware and wants to be better, and within that can be sensed the sincerity behind his remorse. I mean, let's be real here: some of the stuff said was waaaay over the top and unnecessary and did impact the enjoyment of this forum for many fans.

For my part in this discussion and using AI as a mediator to dissect the situation, well, I find the philosophy of apologies to be incredibly interesting, and AI is just simply an amazing tool that I can't recommend enough to others. Discussing the apology without emotions involved is a great way to learn how to discuss, well,  basically anything without emotions involved. Anyhoogan, cheers, @AnthonyG, for hearing me out and sticking with this. It's not easy to apologize, let alone to a forum full of peers 🍻

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Supreme17 said:

The reality is apologies are easy. @AnthonyG could have just gotten ChatGTP to whip up a dissertation level essay dripping in self flagellation and sackcloth level prostration, but instead he wrote what is true to him.

Apologies said over text based mediums are inherently lacking in nuance as the ability to gauge a persons emotional sate are non-existent.

In these instances future actions are all that can be used to gauge the veracity of the individuals sincerity.

We are all very flawed creatures, so given that the intention of the thread was to mend potentially burned bridges, would it not have been more constructive to encourage the future growth and healthy debates that @AnthonyG was expressing his desire to continue to engage in going forward?

It takes more than just one person to complete the apology. Some people (not referring to anyone here related to this situation) don't accept the apology, for whatever reason, and the tense situation continues. To be clear, I understand fully that there may be valid reasons for why an apology is not accepted. It could be possible that no matter how saintly that person becomes after the apology that they are not forgiven.

3 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

It takes more than just one person to complete the apology. Some people (not referring to anyone here related to this situation) don't accept the apology, for whatever reason, and the tense situation continues. To be clear, I understand fully that there may be valid reasons for why an apology is not accepted. It could be possible that no matter how saintly that person becomes after the apology that they are not forgiven.

And all we can do is offer our apology, show remorse for our actions and continue making change. Regardless if someone accepts it or not, the bigger picture is change.  

• Cheers 1

Just now reading this entire thread I am reminded of the Mohammed Mountain question. In short: the Mountain Mohammed moved was the mountain within Mohammed, not the mountain upon which Mohammed stood. 

I find that I have an opinion for every occasion, haha, and I too find that I sometimes need to apologize for becoming heated about my opinion on any given topic. 

I applaud personal growth and the endeavours to achieve it. At the end of the day, even if not all the people targeted accept the apology, AnthonyG has moved a mountain. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/27/2024 at 10:33 PM, AnthonyG said:

I just stepped up with a genuine apology and this is your response? seriously??
try appreciation, maybe apologize in return for your own antics and ignorance. Or just accept the apology and move on and agree to start over. Not sit here and stroke yourself off because of things in the past that are so long ago.  
Crappy contributors don’t provide any true facts and evidence, only closed mind opinions. I have continually brought in depth analytics to back my points. You and I don’t see eye to eye because you refuse to believe in statistics and you won’t put in the effort to do your own research to back your own argument.

I’ve broken down so many of the most heated debates and shown the numbers that have backed my perspective and as of right now my view on the organization and how it was run the last 9 years has put us in a contender conversation sooner than 10 other perpetually rebuilding organizations and that the age swing was going to favour us in this time period as of 2-3 years ago when I broke it down. 

To call me a crappy contributor and to respond like this….. what’s the point of taking any accountability if this is going to be the response of a particular individual who I specifically named and wanted to start over with.

THIS is not being apologetic for your past actions.  THIS shows you still harbour negative feelings to people who you have had run ins with before.

GROW UP.  Apologize and don't engage any further, you are just making yourself look worse and worse.  Child-like even.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, DANJR said:

THIS is not being apologetic for your past actions.  THIS shows you still harbour negative feelings to people who you have had run ins with before.

GROW UP.  Apologize and don't engage any further, you are just making yourself look worse and worse.  Child-like even.

I think you're acting pretty childish here. A real adult will cool themselves and try to explain things. You just sound tense. Not any better than what you're trying to teach.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

Even an apology thread,  becomes a 'dog pile on Anthony' thread.

Truly- I'm not surprised.

Dissent and different opinions will be CRUSHED.

As much i disagree with Anthonys takes and would probably do a five star frog splash to add on the dog pile, i dont think its right to micro analyze someones apology.

Hes apologized, lets let it go and move on

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

Took me awhile and some summer boredom to stumble in to this thread. (Yes you are on ignore 😶‍🌫️ :classic_laugh:)

A mighty commendable effort to apologize and make amends Anthony. Good on ya. Apology accepted. Hopefully you carry through with that and I will gladly unblock you for this upcoming season. I also love this team, the information exchange here, and the healthy debate that ensues. We all get a little carried away at times and need some inner reflection.

Looking forward to a great year. Team is shaping up awesome! :canucks:

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

As I mentioned in a previous post, we all have to learn how to disagree with each other.  That's just life. Disagreement doesn't necessarily mean 'right' or 'wrong'. They're opinions. And opinions usually have a grain of truth behind them.

I know it sounds overly pretentious to post to strangers about advising people how to disagree, but I genuinely feel like we as society have lost that. We start focusing on those disagreements so much that we all forget that we'd actually agree on certain topics. Some topics where we might disagree are objectively less important than the other ones that we DO agree.

I'm glad to see people accepting the apology of Anthony. Sometimes posts get heated - and I'm well aware that I'm not immune to this either - but we ALL have to work on that. Pretending that we are above others is part of the problem.

On 7/30/2024 at 4:51 PM, Swizzey said:

A super Nobel apology indeed. Especially the fact that you are apologizing to a group of individuals that sleight not only you, but the silent majority of this forum that hold conservative and religious values, at every chance they get. 

I'm one of the guys he listed and I'm conservative? 😵‍💫

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Took me awhile and some summer boredom to stumble in to this thread. (Yes you are on ignore 😶‍🌫️ :classic_laugh:)

A mighty commendable effort to apologize and make amends Anthony. Good on ya. Apology accepted. Hopefully you carry through with that and I will gladly unblock you for this upcoming season. I also love this team, the information exchange here, and the healthy debate that ensues. We all get a little carried away at times and need some inner reflection.

Looking forward to a great year. Team is shaping up awesome! :canucks:

A model apolitical response, @Gawdzukes. Nice one! 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • MillerTime 3

Apology accepted.   @AnthonyG, take this as an opportunity for personal growth and reflection.   Perspective goes a long way, same as experience.   Eventually, hopefully most of us on this site, will be able to watch a team (and it's GM) win a cup, and almost certainly that will be a combined effort of more then one GM.    It's a product based business, very few have a shelf life that lasts more than a decade.   And most of the ones that get re-hired, do for a reason.    The ones that don't, for a reason too (and maybe they don't want to work either). 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/30/2024 at 4:51 PM, Swizzey said:

Lol what the fuck? Catching strays.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

As I mentioned in a previous post, we all have to learn how to disagree with each other.  That's just life. Disagreement doesn't necessarily mean 'right' or 'wrong'. They're opinions. And opinions usually have a grain of truth behind them.

I know it sounds overly pretentious to post to strangers about advising people how to disagree, but I genuinely feel like we as society have lost that. We start focusing on those disagreements so much that we all forget that we'd actually agree on certain topics. Some topics where we might disagree are objectively less important than the other ones that we DO agree.

I'm glad to see people accepting the apology of Anthony. Sometimes posts get heated - and I'm well aware that I'm not immune to this either - but we ALL have to work on that. Pretending that we are above others is part of the problem.

I entirely agree with this. It's wild how we're unable to have a conversation in the modern age without people getting viscerally upset and starting to get emotional and personal. I think it's healthy to have disagreements and have debates, it's necessary to grow and build forward. 

The internet has made people quick to insult and become hot headed. The entire reason why OP had rubbed me in a wrong way in the past. Any sort of disagreement and healthy debate is an opportunity to grow and learn, but the second things get personal and people start making personal attacks it's over and becomes entirely counter productive.

Have you ever once been having a discussion with someone, where they said something like "you must not be able to think straight or be to dumb to see blah blah blah", and you respond "yeah, you know what, I am to dumb to see this point before and maybe I was missing it, I'll change my views". No, you say "nah fuck you bud". Conversation over, nothing of value is now possible and only negative will come from the conversation going forward.

Respect is paramount in a conversation. I know that in a conversation the second someone has turned to disrespect I'm unable to take anything they say seriously going forward. That's something I may be able to work on. Accept some people will become hot headed and throw insults, but maintain my own level of respect towards them regardless. Right now I find that difficult.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/1/2024 at 12:41 PM, filthy animal said:

As much i disagree with Anthonys takes and would probably do a five star frog splash to add on the dog pile, i dont think its right to micro analyze someones apology.

It's Mike Gillis fault.🥸

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2024 at 12:41 PM, filthy animal said:

I definitely disagree with your takes, but I FULLY agree with your post. This is a reminder for me (and for anyone else) that agreements and disagreements can happen at any time. We just have to accept that there will be disagreements, but that doesn't mean we can't talk to the person either.

3 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I entirely agree with this. It's wild how we're unable to have a conversation in the modern age without people getting viscerally upset and starting to get emotional and personal. I think it's healthy to have disagreements and have debates, it's necessary to grow and build forward. 

The internet has made people quick to insult and become hot headed. The entire reason why OP had rubbed me in a wrong way in the past. Any sort of disagreement and healthy debate is an opportunity to grow and learn, but the second things get personal and people start making personal attacks it's over and becomes entirely counter productive.

Have you ever once been having a discussion with someone, where they said something like "you must not be able to think straight or be to dumb to see blah blah blah", and you respond "yeah, you know what, I am to dumb to see this point before and maybe I was missing it, I'll change my views". No, you say "nah fuck you bud". Conversation over, nothing of value is now possible and only negative will come from the conversation going forward.

Respect is paramount in a conversation. I know that in a conversation the second someone has turned to disrespect I'm unable to take anything they say seriously going forward. That's something I may be able to work on. Accept some people will become hot headed and throw insults, but maintain my own level of respect towards them regardless. Right now I find that difficult.

Yes, thank you.  I fully agree with your post as well. I will fully admit that I'm human and I've strayed from what I 'should' do. I say this as a reminder for myself (I have to remind myself as I'm getting to be an old man) that I have to work on posting maturity. 

And yes, the lack of respect is a big part of this. What is perceived as a 'lack of respect' from someone will usually result in a carbon copy response back. And the other person will see that, so they will dish it back. It's not conducive to posting at all.

Edited by PureQuickness