[Signing] Martin Necas - $6.5AAV x 2 years

4 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Does anyone know of any reason (strategically) this would have been done? It can’t be sheer ineptitude… this is a half billion dollar organization, there must be something else cooking… you’d think. 

The player threatened to go back to Europe?

I have no idea why they would cave like this. The player has complete control where they go now.

Must be hopeful that they can deal him to a team he’ll be happy with (and presumably be open to extending with) at a team friendly AAV. I’d have taken the pain of a one year higher arbitration award and dealt him by the deadline - but I’m just an old lady in a tub so who knows 

42 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Must be hopeful that they can deal him to a team he’ll be happy with (and presumably be open to extending with) at a team friendly AAV. I’d have taken the pain of a one year higher arbitration award and dealt him by the deadline - but I’m just an old lady in a tub so who knows 

Yea but the team acquiring is not gonna give up a ton when they can’t even negotiate an extension until next offseason.

Maybe they can trade him next summer when a team can extend, but that still gives a lot of control to the player who could choose to walk if they don’t send him exactly where he wants to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Yea but the team acquiring is not gonna give up a ton when they can’t even negotiate an extension until next offseason.

Maybe they can trade him next summer when a team can extend, but that still gives a lot of control to the player who could choose to walk if they don’t send him exactly where he wants to go.

Agreed. If anything, Carolina has an added layer of leverage against them with all other teams knowing Necas will only have to re-up with 1) a contender if that’s his angle, or 2) whoever has the capspace to throw the bag at him when he comes UFA. I’d have taken him to arbitration.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Tulsky may be good with numbers but he’s horrible with strategy.

It’s mind boggling they would sign a player to a contract that walks him right to free agency at 27. They let the player gain leverage on them when the player had none. 🤣

If you can’t get him long term then sign him to a 1 year deal. That way he’s still an RfA and a trading team can negotiate an extension.

He completely eliminated any chance of getting a big package for him. No one is gonna offer huge value for a player with that much leverage.

If I understand the CBA correctly, Necas CANNOT sign another contract with anyone even if he wanted to now until July 1, 2025 - correct? I think that "anyone" includes Carolina led by their stellar management team. 

The only thing that remotely makes sense, and this is a real stretch, is a 2-year deal means no one can offer sheet Necas between now and July 1st 2026 so Carolina can negotiate an extension exclusively for the entire 2025 - 2026 season ... like I said, a stretch as the scales now are tipped in favor of Necas. 

Mind you, if Necas shits the proverbial bed in production or gets hurt along the way, then game on!

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocket-68 said:

If I understand the CBA correctly, Necas CANNOT sign another contract with anyone even if he wanted to now until July 1, 2025 - correct? I think that "anyone" includes Carolina led by their stellar management team. 

The only thing that remotely makes sense, and this is a real stretch, is a 2-year deal means no one can offer sheet Necas between now and July 1st 2026 so Carolina can negotiate an extension exclusively for the entire 2025 - 2026 season ... like I said, a stretch as the scales now are tipped in favor of Necas. 

Mind you, if Necas shits the proverbial bed in production or gets hurt along the way, then game on!

An offer sheet no longer factors in.

He will be a UFA after this deal.

If we’re getting into silly talk…

Recognizing our window with deals in place and right before BB, QH, and TD come up for renewal…

This is a guy I’d be willing to move on from Garland with a Hoglander sweetener for. Yes it’s likely he walks to UFA after. But we’ll have a hard time keeping Hoglander anyways and Garland is our only viable asset where the cap works. 

21 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

If we’re getting into silly talk…

Recognizing our window with deals in place and right before BB, QH, and TD come up for renewal…

This is a guy I’d be willing to move on from Garland with a Hoglander sweetener for. Yes it’s likely he walks to UFA after. But we’ll have a hard time keeping Hoglander anyways and Garland is our only viable asset where the cap works. 

Necas 24g 29a PP60 2.38 

Hoglander 24g 12a PP60 2.23 all 5v5

Hoglander deserves more respect he's not sweetner. I would not do this trade. You're trading 44g for 24g

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Necas 24g 29a PP60 2.38 

Hoglander 24g 12a PP60 2.23 all 5v5

Hoglander deserves more respect he's not sweetner. I would not do this trade. You're trading 44g for 24g

I prefaced it with if we’re getting silly - but you’re right that’s not silly it’s stupid. Thanks friend!

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Tulsky may be good with numbers but he’s horrible with strategy.

It’s mind boggling they would sign a player to a contract that walks him right to free agency at 27. They let the player gain leverage on them when the player had none. 🤣

If you can’t get him long term then sign him to a 1 year deal. That way he’s still an RfA and a trading team can negotiate an extension.

He completely eliminated any chance of getting a big package for him. No one is gonna offer huge value for a player with that much leverage.

I posted the same thing… it is mind boggling and Benning level contract management.

Maybe we will hear that Weisbrod was hired as a consultant in Carolina!

They turned a potential big asset into a rental.  That still might get them a late 1st and a decent blue chip prospect, but if the discussions before we’re around swapping for players of JT Miller/Petterson/Hronek… then that is a big downgrade in return.

I don’t blame the player at all, the team could have traded him any time as there were definitely multiple suitors.  They just didn’t want to pull the trigger on deals except to bottom feeders who were more desperate.  Even those bottom feeders wouldn’t give up those packages unless a long term extension was part of it.

I bet they could have still gotten a package of Lekkerimaki+Hoglander+Garland for Necas (or similar value) if they wanted to move him at a fair price before they signed that contract.

• 2 weeks later...

Their current management is a joke. Lost 2/6 top 6 forwards, lost 2/4 top 4 defensemen for.... nothing. And then scrambled to replace the positions with whatever's available in the UFA market lol. 

How to destroy a young potential cup winning team in 1 offseason. 

35 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Their current management is a joke. Lost 2/6 top 6 forwards, lost 2/4 top 4 defensemen for.... nothing. And then scrambled to replace the positions with whatever's available in the UFA market lol. 

But they have Kotkaniemi locked in long term for a massive overpay.  Lol So that's something...right? 😜

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

reminds me of the summer of well you know...

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

It's definitely been a weird season for Carolina. They finally actually went for it and made some big moves at the trade deadline but then horribly mismanaged their free agency and seemed like they had no plan.

They certainly didn't have to keep Pesce, especially if they thought is was starting to decline, or even Skjei, but Walker and Gostisbehere aren't exactly one-for-one replacements. Similarly, trying to trade Necas only would have made sense if they had already re-signed Guentzel and letting Teravainen walk didn't make sense since he likely would have given them a discount. Maybe Scott Morrow is ready to take the next step and can replace Pesce, but it does seem like Carolina got caught with their pants down.