Great offseason so far from management. I am pretty optimistic for the upcoming year.

On 8/3/2024 at 12:01 PM, Gawdzukes said:

I don't agree on Boeser at all. They did not sign Debrusk and Sprong 🤣 just to let go of Boeser, nor do the have any intent on not re-signing him. This group doesn't just let top line core players go for no reason.

I wouldn't call Boeser core, but that depends on how big you think the core is.  But your point is spot on.  You don't let a top line player go without another top line player to replace them.  And even so, if you have less than a full contingent of 6 bona fide top 6 players, why would you deplete it?

The Canucks now have 4 bona fide top 6 players:  Miller, Boeser, Petey and DeBrusk.  

Allvin has strengthened the middle 6.  Sprong has never played top 6 consistently.  And don't get me wrong, Allvin has strengthened the forward group but substituting Boeser for Sprong, Hoglander, Garland, Joshua, Heinen, Suter etc only undoes his good work.  Of course, 2 of these players will play top 6 but that doesn't make them true top 6 players

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/1/2024 at 10:35 PM, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

I feel that everyone that cheers for the Sprong signing, and to some extent the DeBrusk signing is unknowingly allowing the management to feel save parting ways with Boeser and that kind of makes me sad. If Sprong is able to hit 25 goals and Debrusk the 30-35 goal mark, management is going to play hard ball with Boeser even if he hits 40 goals again. Their thinking will probably come done to "we can find the next Brock." we have heard them say it before. I believer Boeser in bodies what a Canuck is. As the currently longest serving Canucks and a draft product of the Canucks it will be sad to see him go. 

I don't see how this has anything to do with Boeser other than the fact that he's part of our top 6 and will likely benefit from these signings. That hardly screams letting him go.

I get wanting to think you can "read between the lines", or whatever buzzword statement you want to use, but the truth is neither you, nor anyone, actually knows what's going on in management's head outside of the signings they have presented and the team that stands before us.

If anything, I think management will likely see how well we do this upcoming season and act accordingly, Boeser's performance included. Likely, management will be like "is Boeser worth resigning and can a deal get done". It will have nothing to do with Sprong or Debrusk outside of knowing they're also on the team and in roster spots. Is it the "boring" way of thinking? Absolutely. However, whoever said, the business side of things was exciting to begin with?

Edited by The Lock

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I wouldn't call Boeser core, but that depends on how big you think the core is.  But your point is spot on.  You don't let a top line player go without another top line player to replace them.  And even so, if you have less than a full contingent of 6 bona fide top 6 players, why would you deplete it?

The Canucks now have 4 bona fide top 6 players:  Miller, Boeser, Petey and DeBrusk.  

Allvin has strengthened the middle 6.  Sprong has never played top 6 consistently.  And don't get me wrong, Allvin has strengthened the forward group but substituting Boeser for Sprong, Hoglander, Garland, Joshua, Heinen, Suter etc only undoes his good work.  Of course, 2 of these players will play top 6 but that doesn't make them true top 6 players

I agree core is not the exact word but yeah he's a key player because he was our only bonafide top 6 winger last year. Allvin isn't going to take any steps backward now. If he gets signed long-term I guess that would make him "core" though?

I'm really hoping Heinen can be a nice complimentary guy on one of the top 2 lines.

Edited by Gawdzukes

On 7/30/2024 at 12:28 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to start the new season with words of optimism. I was pretty negative during free agency and I am amazed at what Allvin was able to pull off. He sure is an amazing GM when compared to the previous regime and I just think anything is possible with this group. My only hope now is that they can get one more top right handed dman before the start of the year. Not sure if that can happen but I am optimistic with this group. I hope everyone is having an amazing and safe summer and I can’t wait for the new season to begin. Cheers everyone!

I think Alvin is the best GM we've ever had.  Very savvy with the cap money and always finds a way to get what the Canucks need when they need it.  Like trading Beauviller and his cap hit so we could get Zadorov was a stroke of genius.  Soucy had gotten injured and Myers was chaos, we needed stability.  He pulled out so many rabbits out of his hat last year.  So intelligent.  

On 7/30/2024 at 2:28 PM, Reg said:

Agree our management team has been impressive. And I am also optimistic about the coming season. That said however I believe other teams have improved as well. I just hope we get off to a good start like last year. Create a strategy/tactics to beat the other opponents in our division. Best of luck to the boys for 2024/2025. Cheers!

I think the leadership in the locker room won't let it slide.  They've set for themselves a standard of effort and when they follow Tocchet's system they are going to be hard to play against.  The players brought in are all Tocchet type players and the players from Boston are already used to a tight defensive system.  I envision a lineup like this.

Heinan - JT Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Petey - Lekkerimaki

Garland - Blueger - Joshua

Hoglander - Suter - Sherwood

Sprong - Aman - Podkolzin

Yes, my bold prediction is once the dust settles, by January the DeBrusk - Petey - Lekkerimaki line will be one of the best in the NHL.  They just have so much synergy.  Reminds me of the Sedin's/Burrows line.  The only way this line doesn't play would be because the Canucks don't want to lose Podkolzin to waivers.  But I don't think thIs team operates like that anymore, this isnt a Benning/Green mom and pop shop anymore.  So there's hope.  Alvin has created a competitive environment.  There's no guarantees anymore.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/9/2024 at 3:09 PM, Pure961089 said:

I think Alvin is the best GM we've ever had.  Very savvy with the cap money and always finds a way to get what the Canucks need when they need it.  Like trading Beauviller and his cap hit so we could get Zadorov was a stroke of genius.  Soucy had gotten injured and Myers was chaos, we needed stability.  He pulled out so many rabbits out of his hat last year.  So intelligent.  

Butcher for Ronning, Cournall and Momesso, Stajonov for Naslund.   Sundstrom for McLean.    As far as cap management goes he's done great, there are a lot more trades he's got to do, before entering the same realm as Quin.   So far it's been about shaving cap to make other moves.   He's been stellar in that regard, including fixing some of his own mistakes.   It's come at a cost though (the trades were awesome, the costs lower than one could anticipate, aside from Lindholm which was pretty fair). 

It's way too early to judge drafting.   So far so good, adding Hronek and moving Horvat, and  choosing JT Miller both aces so far.    We didn't keep Zadarov or Lindholm, but respect both trades, was hoping he'd do that and give the team a real shot last post season.   Hope he keeps giving this team shots until it's time to re-tool or blow it up.   Boston just signed them for no cost but cap space.     So far he's awesome, we've had others win the GM of the year award.   Quinn drafted and created the D-corp for the WCE era.   Linden, Bure, Nedved were excellent players.     It's a breath of fresh air having a GM who is quick to remove his mistakes.    And love that he's backing Tocchet who's an absolute gem, he may be, the best coach in club history.     Time will tell.    For those who love drafting, Milford is the high bar.    Quinn probably second.   Then Burke.    JB was a little above average in hindsight, now that we know virtually nothing past the second round other then Gaudette. 

11.6 x 8 is very steep.   Respect he bit the bullet (Allvin) and hope he does consider trading him this season if he has doubts about post season ability, we are done before it's started if he can't contribute.    I hope he has the cajone's to move on from that signing, if EPs struggles continue during the regular season.   Kuzmenko and now Debrusk, it's not the "system" at this point, not when Lindholm showed what a great player he was in the post season.  

EP was simply not very good.   We had support players who had a bigger impact in the post season.    The team needs him to peak now and be the player his cap hit says he should be (which we've seen one season of, and doubt we've seen the best ... just can't afford to wait either).    Lekkermaki, if he can win a spot this season, playing with EP...then might be posting a retraction.    

At 40% less cap (Lindholm).     That part makes me nervous.   So does the no show by Hronek, and how difficult it's been for QHs since the Vegas series as far as each round went.   Despite all of that, our support was so excellent, we almost beat EDM.   With EP on, there is no reason not to consider us a contender, and even maybe a  favourite.    

This teams best chances at a cup, is before QHs re-signs, unless Willander and Lekkermaki are beasts...we absolutely needs EP to be able to produce at least on par with regular seasons.   Sure hope he's working at the gym like a monster.   QHs too for that matter. 

As for Allvin, he's the bomb, and an example of what great GMing looks like.    He could end up becoming the best we've ever had.   To bump Quin we'd basically need to a cup, or a Game 7 final, plus another 4-5 runs like last season.   Got a ways to go yet.   Quin changed an entire team over a few years, then went on quite the run.   Allvin, like MG, inherited a team and is working on the finishing touches.  Has made one core move. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/9/2024 at 3:29 PM, Pure961089 said:

I think the leadership in the locker room won't let it slide.  They've set for themselves a standard of effort and when they follow Tocchet's system they are going to be hard to play against.  The players brought in are all Tocchet type players and the players from Boston are already used to a tight defensive system.  I envision a lineup like this.

Heinan - JT Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Petey - Lekkerimaki

Garland - Blueger - Joshua

Hoglander - Suter - Sherwood

Sprong - Aman - Podkolzin

Yes, my bold prediction is once the dust settles, by January the DeBrusk - Petey - Lekkerimaki line will be one of the best in the NHL.  They just have so much synergy.  Reminds me of the Sedin's/Burrows line.  The only way this line doesn't play would be because the Canucks don't want to lose Podkolzin to waivers.  But I don't think thIs team operates like that anymore, this isnt a Benning/Green mom and pop shop anymore.  So there's hope.  Alvin has created a competitive environment.  There's no guarantees anymore.  

If Lekkermaki makes the team and sticks,  and Demko can duplicate last season (and stay healthy for the post season) we are in for a treat. 

On paper this teams forward group is better equipped for the playoffs.   And our PK should also improve.  

Our D compared to the start of last year, is at best a wash.    Forbot < Cole,  Desharnais > Irwin, Friedman, maybe Juuslen.   That's at the start of the season.   Then we added Zadarov who played a huge role, in getting us within a couple goals of advancing.     

Allvin fortunately saved a little cap space which should accrue.   He's almost certainly going to have to repeat his actions from last season, add a 3rd line center, and add a 4/5 LHD.   Once he's done that, the team, will be better than the one we had last post season.    At this point, would say we have modestly  improved the one we had to start last season.    That includes the "Tocchet" effect.  A lot of guys had career years last season.    The new faces, hopefully will join in the fun!

Yes we did all of that without Demko.   Tochett is going to have to play this team like a fiddle, to balance points and wins during the grind of an 82 game season, to make sure Demko is 100% at the start of the post season.   Home ice should be the goal as well.   

As far as the players we brought in, you bet.   Come the real season, the post season, we should expect to see those dividends pay out.    If Lekkermaki earns a spot, then man will us fans be in for a treat, sure hope that's the case.    One of Hogs or Podz undoubtedly will be traded as part of the capital...very possibly like last year, to fill a hole on the roster due to injury.   Sprong is a wild card.   He's right there with Crosby and Malkin as far as points per minute.   That's an obscene offensive talent, he took a massive discount, wanting to play for Tocchet, who he believe will help round out his game, and lead to a bigger payday.      Expect to see him on the starting lineup. 

Edit:  Watched enough expert viewpoints on the changes, one thing stuck out, this team might be the only one in the league, that isn't working around a core player to say, but actually working around forming a group around a coach.   That's pretty incredible.   For the first time since the Sedin era, there is alignment throughout the organization.    And it's a bigger organization as well.   MG might not be everyone's favourite, he did the same thing though.   Brought in a level of professionalism, and gave the players every resource possible to succeed.    That's added value.   Rutherford working on the macro view to create a world class organization as far as the extra's go, also creates a lot of positivity.    Vancouver, once again, looks to be a place players want to sign long term in, as well as attracting value support players.   

Love that Allvin has his internal cap as far as contracts go.    Virtually every single player that signed this summer, cost less then what was expected or predicted by the analysts that take all factors into consideration.    Hronek was the closest 7.25 x 8, versus 7.4 x 8.    Debrusk took the Hyman deal to lower AVV.    That's impressive, and have to say for me anyways, unexpected.     This is not an easy market to attract UFAs, and sign guys to what looks like a "team friendly" deal in most US markets but really isn't.    

For those who aren't super fond of our Swedish monopoly/connection.  It's a familiar geography (BC), and social justice system (Canada).   And one of our few competitive advantages.   BSA instead of BPA (best swede available) is taking the marco view.   Glad Allvin recognizes the need for all types of players, and the Tocchet doesn't care where you come from, has his non-negotiable's.    If Sprong gets that, what a steal.    Expect good things are coming.   And get that we weren't adding for the regular season this summer, it's all playoff's. 

This should be a really good phase of Canucks hockey.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

And I absolutely call Boeser a core player, right up there with Houghes, Miller, Pettersson; We'll see which of our new players can jettison us even further up the standings and playoffs. Monster season coming right up !!!

Edited by Rip The Mesh
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Butcher for Ronning, Cournall and Momesso, Stajonov for Naslund.   Sundstrom for McLean.    As far as cap management goes he's done great, there are a lot more trades he's got to do, before entering the same realm as Quin.   So far it's been about shaving cap to make other moves.   He's been stellar in that regard, including fixing some of his own mistakes.   It's come at a cost though (the trades were awesome, the costs lower than one could anticipate, aside from Lindholm which was pretty fair). 

It's way too early to judge drafting.   So far so good, adding Hronek and moving Horvat, and  choosing JT Miller both aces so far.    We didn't keep Zadarov or Lindholm, but respect both trades, was hoping he'd do that and give the team a real shot last post season.   Hope he keeps giving this team shots until it's time to re-tool or blow it up.   Boston just signed them for no cost but cap space.     So far he's awesome, we've had others win the GM of the year award.   Quinn drafted and created the D-corp for the WCE era.   Linden, Bure, Nedved were excellent players.     It's a breath of fresh air having a GM who is quick to remove his mistakes.    And love that he's backing Tocchet who's an absolute gem, he may be, the best coach in club history.     Time will tell.    For those who love drafting, Milford is the high bar.    Quinn probably second.   Then Burke.    JB was a little above average in hindsight, now that we know virtually nothing past the second round other then Gaudette. 

11.6 x 8 is very steep.   Respect he bit the bullet (Allvin) and hope he does consider trading him this season if he has doubts about post season ability, we are done before it's started if he can't contribute.    I hope he has the cajone's to move on from that signing, if EPs struggles continue during the regular season.   Kuzmenko and now Debrusk, it's not the "system" at this point, not when Lindholm showed what a great player he was in the post season.  

EP was simply not very good.   We had support players who had a bigger impact in the post season.    The team needs him to peak now and be the player his cap hit says he should be (which we've seen one season of, and doubt we've seen the best ... just can't afford to wait either).    Lekkermaki, if he can win a spot this season, playing with EP...then might be posting a retraction.    

At 40% less cap (Lindholm).     That part makes me nervous.   So does the no show by Hronek, and how difficult it's been for QHs since the Vegas series as far as each round went.   Despite all of that, our support was so excellent, we almost beat EDM.   With EP on, there is no reason not to consider us a contender, and even maybe a  favourite.    

This teams best chances at a cup, is before QHs re-signs, unless Willander and Lekkermaki are beasts...we absolutely needs EP to be able to produce at least on par with regular seasons.   Sure hope he's working at the gym like a monster.   QHs too for that matter. 

As for Allvin, he's the bomb, and an example of what great GMing looks like.    He could end up becoming the best we've ever had.   To bump Quin we'd basically need to a cup, or a Game 7 final, plus another 4-5 runs like last season.   Got a ways to go yet.   Quin changed an entire team over a few years, then went on quite the run.   Allvin, like MG, inherited a team and is working on the finishing touches.  Has made one core move. 

Alvin has to navigate through a salary cap. Past GMs like Pat Quinn made some great trades back in the 90s but it's far more difficult now.  Benning operated under the salary cap era and bombed miserably, with an $11 million 4th line we couldn't sign Tanev or Toffoli.  Alvin changed this team from a laughing stock to a contender in 2 years and he's not even close to being done. I don't think even Quinn could have been able to get rid of 11 goal scorer Mikheyevs almost $5 million contract for virtually nothing.  The sweetener was we traded down from a 2nd rounder to a 4th.  Take a close look at the moves Alvin made while being constrained to the cap. It's savant like genius. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Alvin has to navigate through a salary cap. Past GMs like Pat Quinn made some great trades back in the 90s but it's far more difficult now.  Benning operated under the salary cap era and bombed miserably, with an $11 million 4th line we couldn't sign Tanev or Toffoli.  Alvin changed this team from a laughing stock to a contender in 2 years and he's not even close to being done. I don't think even Quinn could have been able to get rid of 11 goal scorer Mikheyevs almost $5 million contract for virtually nothing.  The sweetener was we traded down from a 2nd rounder to a 4th.  Take a close look at the moves Alvin made while being constrained to the cap. It's savant like genius. 

Yup. Allvin is a lot like Gillis when it comes to dealing with the cap and building out a great team. Benning was a dough head. 

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

If Lekkermaki makes the team and sticks,  and Demko can duplicate last season (and stay healthy for the post season) we are in for a treat. 

On paper this teams forward group is better equipped for the playoffs.   And our PK should also improve.  

Our D compared to the start of last year, is at best a wash.    Forbot < Cole,  Desharnais > Irwin, Friedman, maybe Juuslen.   That's at the start of the season.   Then we added Zadarov who played a huge role, in getting us within a couple goals of advancing.     

Allvin fortunately saved a little cap space which should accrue.   He's almost certainly going to have to repeat his actions from last season, add a 3rd line center, and add a 4/5 LHD.   Once he's done that, the team, will be better than the one we had last post season.    At this point, would say we have modestly  improved the one we had to start last season.    That includes the "Tocchet" effect.  A lot of guys had career years last season.    The new faces, hopefully will join in the fun!

Yes we did all of that without Demko.   Tochett is going to have to play this team like a fiddle, to balance points and wins during the grind of an 82 game season, to make sure Demko is 100% at the start of the post season.   Home ice should be the goal as well.   

As far as the players we brought in, you bet.   Come the real season, the post season, we should expect to see those dividends pay out.    If Lekkermaki earns a spot, then man will us fans be in for a treat, sure hope that's the case.    One of Hogs or Podz undoubtedly will be traded as part of the capital...very possibly like last year, to fill a hole on the roster due to injury.   Sprong is a wild card.   He's right there with Crosby and Malkin as far as points per minute.   That's an obscene offensive talent, he took a massive discount, wanting to play for Tocchet, who he believe will help round out his game, and lead to a bigger payday.      Expect to see him on the starting lineup. 

Edit:  Watched enough expert viewpoints on the changes, one thing stuck out, this team might be the only one in the league, that isn't working around a core player to say, but actually working around forming a group around a coach.   That's pretty incredible.   For the first time since the Sedin era, there is alignment throughout the organization.    And it's a bigger organization as well.   MG might not be everyone's favourite, he did the same thing though.   Brought in a level of professionalism, and gave the players every resource possible to succeed.    That's added value.   Rutherford working on the macro view to create a world class organization as far as the extra's go, also creates a lot of positivity.    Vancouver, once again, looks to be a place players want to sign long term in, as well as attracting value support players.   

Love that Allvin has his internal cap as far as contracts go.    Virtually every single player that signed this summer, cost less then what was expected or predicted by the analysts that take all factors into consideration.    Hronek was the closest 7.25 x 8, versus 7.4 x 8.    Debrusk took the Hyman deal to lower AVV.    That's impressive, and have to say for me anyways, unexpected.     This is not an easy market to attract UFAs, and sign guys to what looks like a "team friendly" deal in most US markets but really isn't.    

For those who aren't super fond of our Swedish monopoly/connection.  It's a familiar geography (BC), and social justice system (Canada).   And one of our few competitive advantages.   BSA instead of BPA (best swede available) is taking the marco view.   Glad Allvin recognizes the need for all types of players, and the Tocchet doesn't care where you come from, has his non-negotiable's.    If Sprong gets that, what a steal.    Expect good things are coming.   And get that we weren't adding for the regular season this summer, it's all playoff's. 

This should be a really good phase of Canucks hockey.   

I'd hesitate to trade Hoglander, his 24 goals all came even strength. And his cap hit is so attractive.  I feel for Podz though, it never worked out for him here.  Both Hogs and Podz were rushed too early, what SKA did to Podkolzin's development in those 2 years was criminal. On top of that he was rushed, Benning mismanaged Pods like he did Vertanen. Some can recover their careers like Hoglander and McCann they were able to bounce back. And maybe it's not to late for Pods to carve out a career but sadly it probably won't be for the Canucks.

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

I'd hesitate to trade Hoglander, his 24 goals all came even strength. And his cap hit is so attractive.  I feel for Podz though, it never worked out for him here.  Both Hogs and Podz were rushed too early, what SKA did to Podkolzin's development in those 2 years was criminal. On top of that he was rushed, Benning mismanaged Pods like he did Vertanen. Some can recover their careers like Hoglander and McCann they were able to bounce back. And maybe it's not too late for Pods to carve out a career but sadly it probably won't be for the Canucks.

JB flopped on drafting JV.   He was given every chance to succeed.  As for Podz he's also been given a lot of chances, with several coaches, also feel for him, lost some development and was tracking the right way in Abby until his accident.    On that, his floor was high, his ceiling not high when we drafted him, a very solid pick at 10, expectations should be tempered though, scoring isnt his thing.   As for Mikheyev,  don't forget Allvin is the one who signed him to that deal, a monster contract given what he'd managed to date,  more so than Beagle by JB.   Not a JB apologist, but it does baffle me when some posters think this should have been a quick turn around.   LE was his bad signing.   The rest somewhat understandable, we were supposed to be, and we're a crappy team.   That's what happens when a franchise has nothing to show from Edler to Horvat, and entire generation of hockey players and only Hutton!  Good grief we were in for some rough tough times.    As for Allvin, he didn't win but was recognized for his work last season.  So far aces.   As for Quin I barely touched on the highlights.   And am glad we didn't re-sign Toffoli anyways.   Brock and Miller good stuff.   The team wasn't ready to compete anyways (not seriously with that blue line, yikes!).   Glad Horvat is gone too, the most complacent leader in club history.    There were opportunity costs last year as a result of Mikheyev we lost ... sure would have been nice if Allvin could of swung a deal to find EP a better linemate.

JB wasn't our finest hour that's for sure.   His job was on the line until the bubble happened.    Also the full rebuild was on the line (and lost all steams) when we made the playoffs and lost to CAL (hey look! the re-took is working! it wasn't and it cost us a couple extra years at least).  Both gave false hope and added shelf life.    Those two circumstance's  gave him a long shelf life more then anything, we were likely going to  suck for at least a half decade no matter what.   MG signing the Sedins made sure of that and our "commitment" to make the playoffs somehow, was just goofy.  Not all bad either, JT Miller, Brock, Demko, EP, QHs were all given a chance or developed under Travis Green.   Who regularly punched about the rosters ability.   It takes time for these guys.  Look at QHs.   Demko, remember going to see him when playing Laval (injured then too lol).   These guys can't be expected to be all-stars at 18-21.   That's reserved for generational talent.   Maybe QHs is, 

Too early to crown Allvin.   At least a cup or 4-5 years too early.   Larionov, Reinhardt, Babych, Ronning, Courtnall, Adam's ... was part of 3 core's taking apart the 82 one, creating the 90's one and the bulk of the WCE era core as well.   Naslund had more consecutive first string all-star berths, then Stajanov had goals .. and his number is retired.   Allvin needs to do that (a top five all time fleecing all NHL teams) and get us to at least Game 7 OT against an all-time top team to get to a tie.   Bure.  Pretty much the entire WCE era D-corp.   A lot of work yet for sure. 

As for the micro transactions, well aware of the gymnastics around Dickie, OEL, Kuzmenko and Ilya M to gain cap space.   Two of those signings were his.    Stoked he's willing to fix his mistakes.   Sure JB would have re-signed Horvat and cut Miller or something messy.   Two steps forward, one back, one sideways and one wasted "not having enough time" was JB in a nutshell.   Winning a cup, isn't aiming for the playoffs is it? 

An a huge Tochett fan.   So is pretty much the entire league right now.  Players want him as their coach, and willing to sign for less.  Why?  Because look at the career seasons and guys like Myers having their best season for us and best one in a very long time.   They know if they take less money now, that their next deal will be much better.   It's a great co-existence.   Only EP has struggled to respond.   Tochett is Alvin's single greatest transaction so far, and it's really not even close to next up, which was probably the Zadarov trade as far as results go so far, when they matter the most, and the price paid.    Then Lindholm, fair price for a rental like him.   A first a third and a roster player, about what we got for Horvat but instead got Raty.   Hronek his best long term deal. 

As for Hogs and Podz, almost certainly one will be part of a trade to improve the roster. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, IBatch said:

JB flopped on drafting JV.   He was given every chance to succeed.  As for Podz he's also been given a lot of chances, with several coaches, also feel for him, lost some development and was tracking the right way in Abby until his accident.    On that, his floor was high, his ceiling not high when we drafted him, a very solid pick at 10, expectations should be tempered though, scoring isnt his thing.   As for Mikheyev,  don't forget Allvin is the one who signed him to that deal, a monster contract given what he'd managed to date,  more so than Beagle by JB.   Not a JB apologist, but it does baffle me when some posters think this should have been a quick turn around.   LE was his bad signing.   The rest somewhat understandable, we were supposed to be, and we're a crappy team.   That's what happens when a franchise has nothing to show from Edler to Horvat, and entire generation of hockey players and only Hutton!  Good grief we were in for some rough tough times.    As for Allvin, he didn't win but was recognized for his work last season.  So far aces.   As for Quin I barely touched on the highlights.   And am glad we didn't re-sign Toffoli anyways.   Brock and Miller good stuff.   The team wasn't ready to compete anyways.   Glad Horvat is gone too, the most complacent leader in club history.    There were opportunity costs last year as a result of Mikheyev we lost ... sure would have been nice if Allvin could of swung a deal to find EP a better linemate.

JB wasn't our finest hour that's for sure.   His job was on the line until the bubble happened.    Also the full rebuild was on the line until we made the playoffs and lost to CAL.  Both gave false hope and added shelf life.    Those two circumstance's  gave him a long shelf life more then anything, we were likely going to  suck for at least a half decade no matter what.   MG signing the Sedins made sure of that and our "commitment" to make the playoffs somehow, was just goofy.  Not all bad either, JT Miller, Brock, Demko, EP, QHs were all given a chance or developed under Travis Green.   Who regularly punched about the rosters ability.   It takes time for these guys.  Look at QHs.   Demko, remember going to see him when playing Laval (injured then too lol).   These guys can't be expected to be all-stars at 18-21.   That's reserved for generational talent.   Maybe QHs is, 

Too early to crown Allvin.   At least a cup or 4-5 years too early.   As for the micro transactions, well aware of the gymnastics around Dickie, OEL, Kuzmenko and Ilya M to gain cap space.   Two of those signings were his.    Stoked he's willing to fix his mistakes.   Sure JB would have re-signed Horvat and cut Miller or something messy.   Two steps forward, one back, one sideways and one wasted "not having enough time" was JB in a nutshell.   Winning a cup, isn't aiming for the playoffs is it? 

An a huge Tochett fan.   So is pretty much the entire league right now.  Players want him as their coach, and willing to sign for less.  Why?  Because look at the career seasons and guys like Myers having their best season for us and best one in a very long time.   They know if they take less money now, that their next deal will be much better.   It's a great co-existence.   Only EP has struggled to respond.   Tochett is Alvin's single greatest transaction so far, and it's really not even close to next up, which was probably the Zadarov trade as far as results go when they matter the most, and the price paid.   

The Canucks have never had a player development staff like they do today.  It would be interesting to see how he would have panned out if he had a couple years in the minors to develop with hands on coaching like our prospects have flourished with.  We'll never know for sure.  Look at late bloomer Joshua, he was a 4th liner and now he's a key player, great penalty killer and power forward.  The Canucks pro scouting staff are like interior decorators for slum homes. They're visionaries that see what others don't.  Were lucky to have them.

Mikheyev never played a healthy game for the Canucks right from his first preseason. The player Alvin signed for $4.7 million we never got to see.  The vision was him with Kuzmenko but that vision didn't pan out, and Kuzy coming  to camp in beer league condition only piled on an already bad situation. His Bahli workouts just didn't cut it.  All I can say is Petey had a great 89 point season despite what he had to put up with.  

Alvin has pulled off too many Houdini magic tricks to undervalue his accomplishments.  Yeah, some of his ideas didn't work but he was never screwed over by those mistakes, always seemed to pull a Houdini when he needed it at the right time.  Like when Soucy went down and the Canucks looked to be in freefall he made cap space by trading Beauviller. A contract thought to be untradeable.  With that cap space we were able to trade for Zadorov.  Watching the Canucks the last 2 years, and seeing Alvin cook has been remarkable.  Ups and downs yes, but you can't argue with the vast improvements on Every level.  From the minor details to major ones.  Simple acts like moving the farm team from Utica to Abbotsford. Little things making a huge difference. Getting the farm team to implement the same system the big club is using. Who woulda thunk? Lol  None of these little details ever crossed Benning's mind.  

Other organizations build their teams around star players, the Canucks it seems are building the team around their star coach. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I agree im stoked.

I don't think we will be adding much before the start of the season, but I expect them to be aggressive and make many moves throughout the year, much like last year.

Always tinkering, always trying to improve, never satisfied. Smart financial decisions.

I love this management team.

Hot take incoming 

I think fans like the idea of 3 elite centres but we never had that because we never really had 3 lines going. The moment we got Lindholm and tried forcing the marriage with Petey it was never going to end well. Theres only room for 1 centre on a line, Eventually Tocchet put Petey on his own line, only thing is he had very little to work with. Truth is when the playoffs came we only had 2 lines going, a 3rd string goalie, and no Brock Boeser for game 7.  Lindholm was the worst thing to happen to Petey last year because Lindholm is everything Tocchet wants Petey to be and those are just the facts. I think Petey can grow into a more dynamic more offensive version of Lindholm in a few years.  I'd like to think Petey's lack of production in the playoffs was because of an injured knee but even he said he didn't play well enough. Petey has something to work towards now, to be that star that scores the ot goal in the playoffs,  He we wants to be that and I think he's going to be extra motivated this year.  Come at me, I'd like to debate it.  I can have my mind changed with a good enough argument.

Edited by Pure961089

Posted (edited)

My biggest concern is still the defense. Desharnais is at best a 7th dman. That mean we are having this conversation again about playing Myers higher in the lineup which has enough evidence to support it doesn’t work. Why go back to that? Also I can’t even believe they are considering Desharnais in the top two when he couldn’t even get into the lineup in the playoffs. Speed was a big issue. I think the Defense is a huge area of concern after Hughes and Hronek and I am surprised they haven’t used their forward depth to improve it yet. The Defense is a bit of a black mark right now. All they did in the off-season was get slower on the backend. It just means they are going to have to rely heavily on Demko because the speed is going to overwhelm d men who can’t skate. A goalie with health issues shouldn’t be forced to have to make an abundance of saves every game. It could spell more injuries for him.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

My biggest concern is still the defense. Desharnais is at best a 7th dman. That mean we are having this conversation again about playing Myers higher in the lineup which has enough evidence to support it doesn’t work. Why go back to that? Also I can’t even believe they are considering Desharnais in the top two when he couldn’t even get into the lineup in the playoffs. Speed was a big issue. I think the Defense is a huge area of concern after Hughes and Hronek and I am surprised they haven’t used their forward depth to improve it yet. The Defense is a bit of a black mark right now. All they did in the off-season was get slower on the backend. It just means they are going to have to rely heavily on Demko because the speed is going to overwhelm d men who can’t skate. A goalie with health issues shouldn’t be forced to have to make an abundance of saves every game. It could spell more injuries for him.

One thing that nobody is talking about, is Brisbois came up and played great for us post Luke Schenn and with Hronek down.   He earned himself a big league two year deal as a result, and rightly so - Brock and Brisbois are the longest serving Canucks.  Know it was a limited sample size, also pretty sure the brass had plans for him until he went down.   Not sure how he's doing now, but that could work out for us.   He's been close before, and given his play, really he did just as well as a whole pile of guys during the JB era.   He's been marinating for a long time.    That provides some depth at the very least.   And personally love his safe all around play.    Guys like Forlsing and Chatfiled moved on to play great-decent hockey elsewhere.   Allvin did say that there are guys in Utica that can earn jobs at camp and that are ready for the big leagues.    As things sit right now, fully expect QHs and Hronek to take a lot of the load.    Soucy Myers is a great third pairing ...  Maybe the plan is to platoon them a bit, 18 minutes 18 minutes, 24.     Desharnais at least can PK.   And it looks like Tocchet is a fan anyways. 

Also agree.   The blue-line, is missing a 4/5.   Our 6-7's might have improved.   From the start of last season.   Expect the forward group to help mitigate somewhat. 

Edited by IBatch

On 8/11/2024 at 1:24 PM, Pure961089 said:

I'd hesitate to trade Hoglander, his 24 goals all came even strength. And his cap hit is so attractive.  I feel for Podz though, it never worked out for him here.  Both Hogs and Podz were rushed too early, what SKA did to Podkolzin's development in those 2 years was criminal. On top of that he was rushed, Benning mismanaged Pods like he did Vertanen. Some can recover their careers like Hoglander and McCann they were able to bounce back. And maybe it's not to late for Pods to carve out a career but sadly it probably won't be for the Canucks.

Hoglander's contract is only good for this upcoming season, but then he's going to expect a big raise if he scores 20+ ES goals again this year. His max value in a trade is right now. 

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Hoglander's contract is only good for this upcoming season, but then he's going to expect a big raise if he scores 20+ ES goals again this year. His max value in a trade is right now. 

Good teams need players like Hoglander, if he scores 20+ goals again then he should be paid. Probably won't be too much. $2.5 - 3 mill, in that ballpark would be well worth it.  He hasn't even reached his ceiling which could be 30+. Canucks would be wise to extend him long term I think he's earned it.  And the coaching staff has unlocked a lot already, and there's so much more.  He's so strong on his skates, always comes out with the puck in board battles,we need more of players like him not less.  His defensive game has improved as well.  

2 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Good teams need players like Hoglander, if he scores 20+ goals again then he should be paid. Probably won't be too much. $2.5 - 3 mill, in that ballpark would be well worth it.  He hasn't even reached his ceiling which could be 30+. Canucks would be wise to extend him long term I think he's earned it.  And the coaching staff has unlocked a lot already, and there's so much more.  He's so strong on his skates, always comes out with the puck in board battles,we need more of players like him not less.  His defensive game has improved as well.  

I don't disagree, but it'll come down to cap space, is the main point. We will have OEL's increase, Brock's increase, to name two, so I don't think giving Hogs a substantial raise will be easy. Maybe he'll take a small bridge deal and we can fit him in.

Edit: made sure I say don't disagree, ha!

Edited by Jester13
  • Cheers 1

Our coaching and development staff is so good they made Zadorov who was a 5 defenseman into a top 4, Boston thinks so obviously. They turned Joshua from a 4th liner fringe player into a middle 6 power forward. Hoglander went from a fringe player to a  24 goal scorer who spent some time in the top 6.  Look how Myers improved under Gonchar and Foote.  The Canucks have the best player development in the entire league. 

Where do you think Lekkerimaki's career trajectory would be under Benning? (shudders). We all know it would be the Juolevi trajectory. No hands on development, lazy approach.  With Alvin he has Micheal Samuelson right there with him in Sweden, coaching him, encouraging him. Being that hands on development Lekkerimaki needs.  Our prospects are in great hands. 

Edited by Pure961089

15 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I don't disagree, but it'll come down to cap space, is the main point. We will have OEL's increase, Brock's increase, to name two, so I don't think giving Hogs a substantial raise will be easy. Maybe he'll take a small bridge deal and we can fit him in.

Edit: made sure I say don't disagree, ha!

Alvin has done a great job transforming this team from a bottom feeder to a contender in a short amount of time.  He brought respect back to the team. Their pro scouting department is among the best in the league. Being able to identify talent, Emilie Castonguay has done a masterful job with contracts and getting great value. The Canucks for the first time in many years are in good hands.  

Edited by Pure961089

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

His max value to whom?