Great offseason so far from management. I am pretty optimistic for the upcoming year.

On 8/11/2024 at 1:10 PM, Alflives said:

Yup. Allvin is a lot like Gillis when it comes to dealing with the cap and building out a great team. Benning was a dough head. 

Ya, like Gillis, Allvin is dining out on all the hard work of prior GM's.

No sarcasm here 😕

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Alvin has done a great job transforming this team from a bottom feeder to a contender in a short amount of time.  He brought respect back to the team. Their pro scouting department is among the best in the league. Being able to identify talent, Emilie Castonguay has done a masterful job with contracts and getting great value. The Canucks for the first time in many years are in good hands.  

I don't disagree with this either.

• Cheers 1

On 7/30/2024 at 3:28 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to start the new season with words of optimism. I was pretty negative during free agency and I am amazed at what Allvin was able to pull off. He sure is an amazing GM when compared to the previous regime and I just think anything is possible with this group. My only hope now is that they can get one more top right handed dman before the start of the year. Not sure if that can happen but I am optimistic with this group. I hope everyone is having an amazing and safe summer and I can’t wait for the new season to begin. Cheers everyone!

Well Said

Alot of people have been cranky that we are "tinkering" still and didn't land the big Fish in Guentzel but I'm glad we didn't. The new management team has been methodical and strategic in their approach, to not lock us down too hard with cap issues while this team is still learning to win and compete in the playoffs. They have signed the core, and are focusing on players they know they can get cheaper to fill roles, and players who they believe their coaches can get more out of. I was upset we lost big Z but I also trust this management and coaching staff can really assess players. I also know we were in first place without big Z or Lindholm and as a group we are much better now. They will go ALL IN, when they know we're ready for a real run. Maybe its this year, maybe its next but its coming.

We will need improvement internally, Joshua has to take another step, Garland can too, Hronek can hopefully learn to anchor a second pair, and guys like Hogs and Podz need to take another step. Our stars ex Petey (and his injury) were stellar last year, if they can maintain (and I think Quinn will somehow be even better, and Petey will be), we are going to have another terrific season without being too locked into high priced support players.

If things go right, you look for some additional pieces at the deadline. Really love this team and this management group. for the first time in decades it seems top to bottom, pro to amateur scouting, development and our AHL team are all aligned. Only good things coming for this group.

Edited by CanucksCup2026

On 8/8/2024 at 8:57 PM, The Lock said:

I don't see how this has anything to do with Boeser other than the fact that he's part of our top 6 and will likely benefit from these signings. That hardly screams letting him go.

I get wanting to think you can "read between the lines", or whatever buzzword statement you want to use, but the truth is neither you, nor anyone, actually knows what's going on in management's head outside of the signings they have presented and the team that stands before us.

If anything, I think management will likely see how well we do this upcoming season and act accordingly, Boeser's performance included. Likely, management will be like "is Boeser worth resigning and can a deal get done". It will have nothing to do with Sprong or Debrusk outside of knowing they're also on the team and in roster spots. Is it the "boring" way of thinking? Absolutely. However, whoever said, the business side of things was exciting to begin with?

I truly expect Boeser to take a discount to stay. He loves Vancouver, the team has stuck by him through some tough times, and he is a very loyal person. He is very tight with this group and wants to win here. Much like Miller he will take less to stay imho. His personality does not scream I want the last penny....

And that will be just another damn reason to love Brock Boeser. If I had a daughter, his character is the type of man I'd want her to marry.

Edited by CanucksCup2026
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Max value in a trade since he has one year left at a very good cap hit. This is desirable for a team to take on, no?

Only if they make it more desireable to us. If we aren't going to be able to afford to keep him I'd rather deal him next offseason. And take advantage of having a 24 goalscorer for a mill ourselves. 

A lot of the proposals I see have us tossing in Hoglander like candy. So unless someone's offering A top 4 D or a right shot 3C under contract I'm not really interested. 

1 hour ago, CanucksCup2026 said:

I truly expect Boeser to take a discount to stay. He loves Vancouver, the team has stuck by him through some tough times, and he is a very loyal person. He is very tight with this group and wants to win here. Much like Miller he will take less to stay imho. His personality does not scream I want the last penny....

And that will be just another damn reason to love Brock Boeser. If I had a daughter, his character is the type of man I'd want her to marry.

Well, if that's what you truly expect, then you're either going to be happy or unhappy depending on what he actually does. lol

Don't get me wrong. It'll be great if he does, but to expect such things just leads to what could be described as self-entitlement in my opinion. I said this in another thread (or maybe this thread, I forget), but there's nothing wrong with hoping and I would encourage you to hope rather than to expect. I know it may seem silly, but it's amazing how wording can really change perspective.

Edited by The Lock

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, if that's what you truly expect, then you're either going to be happy or unhappy depending on what he actually does. lol

Don't get me wrong. It'll be great if he does, but to expect such things just leads to what could be described as self-entitlement in my opinion. I said this in another thread (or maybe this thread, I forget), but there's nothing wrong with hoping and I would encourage you to hope rather than to expect. I know it may seem silly, but it's amazing how wording can really change perspective.

Uh bro, its hockey, I'm not going to have an emotional meltdown like a Dem when trump wins....🤪

It doesn't really matter that much in life to me

Edited by CanucksCup2026

9 minutes ago, CanucksCup2026 said:

Uh bro, its hockey, I'm not going to have an emotional meltdown like a Dem when trump wins....🤪

It doesn't really matter that much in life to me

So when Trump loses I'll expect you not to have a mental breakdown than too. 🙂

(Now let's please avoid making this political)

Edited by The Lock

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So when Trump loses I'll expect you not to have a mental breakdown than too. 🙂

(Now let's please avoid making this political)

I am an American, Canadians are truly confused if you think Kamala has real support. Have you heard her speak? At least Biden has dememtia to blame...you know the dementia they lied about for 3 years until the debate and couldn't hide it anymore? Then they usurp democracy by putting Kamala in lol...all to save democracy! oh the hypocrisy of the left is sight to behold

How many Americans do you know who don't live in a heavy blue city? No one out side of those areas will vote democrat....just saying...

You may need to cope...perhaps you all can vote for Trudeau again so he can take 80% of your money to make you feel good

but I digress this is about hockey 

Edited by CanucksCup2026

Just now, CanucksCup2026 said:

I am an American, Canadians are truly confused if you think Kamala has real support.

How many Americans do you know who don't live in a heavy blue city? No one out side of those areas will vote democrat....just saying...

You may need to cope...perhaps you all can vote for Trudeau again so he can take 80% of your money to make you feel good

but I digress this is about hockey 

Be confused all you want... especially in November. Words are useless. Actions will speak way louder. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Back on topic. Let's agree to hope Boeser's actions speak loud in a positive way both during the season and regarding extension.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Be confused all you want... especially in November. Words are useless. Actions will speak way louder. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Back on topic. Let's agree to hope Boeser's actions speak loud in a positive way both during the season and regarding extension.

you watch way to much cnn dude

Oh and I said Canadians are confused about the US election...thanks for proving me right, you can't even read correctly. No wonder...

Edited by CanucksCup2026

On 8/8/2024 at 5:38 PM, Crabcakes said:

I wouldn't call Boeser core, but that depends on how big you think the core is.  But your point is spot on.  You don't let a top line player go without another top line player to replace them.  And even so, if you have less than a full contingent of 6 bona fide top 6 players, why would you deplete it?

The Canucks now have 4 bona fide top 6 players:  Miller, Boeser, Petey and DeBrusk.  

Allvin has strengthened the middle 6.  Sprong has never played top 6 consistently.  And don't get me wrong, Allvin has strengthened the forward group but substituting Boeser for Sprong, Hoglander, Garland, Joshua, Heinen, Suter etc only undoes his good work.  Of course, 2 of these players will play top 6 but that doesn't make them true top 6 players

I would extend the core to Boeser, he's the longest serving player on the team, hopefully he won't be too expensive. They have every intention of signing him long term.  At this stage in the teams evolution they're not interested in getting picks for Boeser.

Petey won't be getting a legitimate top 6 winger until Lekkerimaki is ready, until then it will be DeBrusk and probably Hoglander or Sprong.  Maybe playing with Petey can elevate DeBrusk into being a top 6 winger.  

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Please take it to the US Politics thread if you're so adamant on continuing this.

Nah I read that area...looks like a bunch of brainwashed leftists, a playground for the mind controlled NPC's

Not worth my time, not a place for intelligent conversation, more like a place for those to spew irrational emotions and people incapable of handling actual truth

Edited by CanucksCup2026

2 hours ago, CanucksCup2026 said:

With the amount of loyalty and patience the Canucks organization has shown Boeser it would be truely disheartening if we couldn't get him extended.  I'm hoping he understands that he needs to take a hometown discount because frankly he's very risky to sign long term. He's injury prone and has been so his entire career going as far back as his sophomore season in UND when he suffered a wrist injury.  Something like 7x5 would be ideal.  Look how long Poolman has been on the books, the Canucks can't afford a mess like that, especially during the OEL buyout years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CanucksCup2026 said:

Nah I read that area...looks like a bunch of brainwashed leftists, a playground for the mind controlled NPC's

Not worth my time, not a place for intelligent conversation, more like a place for those to spew irrational emotions and people incapable of handling actual truth

Tin Foil Tinfoil Hat GIF

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, CanucksCup2026 said:

A Scratch and sniff for you:

image.jpeg.41250f2b1b11242a2b95c80f3ce0edba.jpeg

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

With the amount of loyalty and patience the Canucks organization has shown Boeser it would be truely disheartening if we couldn't get him extended.  I'm hoping he understands that he needs to take a hometown discount because frankly he's very risky to sign long term. He's injury prone and has been so his entire career going as far back as his sophomore season in UND when he suffered a wrist injury.  Something like 7x5 would be ideal.  Look how long Poolman has been on the books, the Canucks can't afford a mess like that, especially during the OEL buyout years.

Alvin is a world more intelligent then Benning. Boeser knows the situation regarding the injuries he's he's had including the blood clot that may or may not, cost us the Cup.

Brock, IMO, would gladly take the salary you propose.  Boeser has always been on of my favorite players and I think Miller is happy the way things are.

In fact, with the right player (maybe one of the new additions), That may well be the top line. Sorry Petey, had to tell it the way I see it at this point... 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 5:47 PM, Crabcakes said:

Top 6 is better with DeBrusk.  They now have 4 bona fide top 6 players and a partner for both centres.

Bottom 6 is better

D may look a little worse right now but I think that Desharnais can be coached up by Foote and Gonchar.  We'll see what people think after Christmas.

Goaltending is as good as last year

Overall, there is better team depth.  There are at least 5 players other than Miller, Boeser, Petey and DeBrusk who could play top 6 as well:  Suter, Joshua, Garland, Hoglander and Heinen 

I disagree with Goaltending, I think it's better than last year. My opinion is Highlander is going to be better this season and even better next season after. 

My hopes for Klim have faded a bit, however he's only 21 and still time to be the darkhorse but that might be a stretch at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2024 at 12:28 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to start the new season with words of optimism. I was pretty negative during free agency and I am amazed at what Allvin was able to pull off. He sure is an amazing GM when compared to the previous regime and I just think anything is possible with this group. My only hope now is that they can get one more top right handed dman before the start of the year. Not sure if that can happen but I am optimistic with this group. I hope everyone is having an amazing and safe summer and I can’t wait for the new season to begin. Cheers everyone!

Yeah he had such a awful team to start off with when he got here, bunch of bums and he traded everyone and started afresh and got a whole new team built and we're rockin the show!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2024 at 6:19 AM, DrJockitch said:

It is a systemic issue that has plagued the team for decades and is very hard to do anything about at this stage of the team cycle. Gillis rightfully burned a tonne of pics to try to win the cup but the way he did it and the incompetence in his drafting and development shortened the window for the Sedin’s team. Benning just burned pics through a rebuild in a completely non-sensible fashion which prolonged the rebuild and put is in a position of depleted pics, poor prospect pool but a few really good pieces too build around but nothing coming behind them. 
‘Allvin is doing what he should be doing and doing a good job of it but a team that needs to build a D in the UFA market every season and that needs to fill 4-5 holes up front in the UFA market every season is not a team that is going to be great for long. You are just going to get some players that don’t work just on probability. PA has done a great job of moving on from those players though. 
Again, in the balance PA is doing a great job, these are minor observations more than complaints, we are working like a JR managed team and JR hates draft pics with a passion. Our prospect pool is extremely thin from the incompetence of Benning and the general philosophy of JR and so we are over-reliant on UFAs. At least now our prospects have to prove it before making the team unlike under Benning and our pro scouting is extremely competent. 
It has taken a couple years (and faster than could reasonably be expected) but we have reached the point we don’t really have any bad contracts and our overall salary structure looks really good over the next few years even with the OEL penalty. 
Next off-season the poaching of management begins. Foote or Gonchar will be off to a HC job and EC may be looking for a full GM position(though this seems less likely).

What fans/media were screaming for a single cup and sell the farm to do it all this time for decades as you say? Since I can remember it's been that long, and sadly the ownership bought into it as well, this team has never had depth, ever! 

No GM in our history has ever got us a roster by building one, and the disaster of a team with no draft picks that Benning inherited was proof of that, a rebuild should not have been necessary, if you think so then I don't know what to say. 

Since day one we have never built a team with depth, what a joke and it was a miracle we even got close a few times. 

You can't tell me JR and PA didn't inherit a half bad team, JR was handed a decent core to work with and we still have them thankfully, it's the reason another rebuild wasn't in the making but like I said, it should have never been that way in the first place. 

Vancouver has never had a stomach for building a team, when has a one cup and done scenario ever worked for us? That's why we don't have one but it never stopped fans and.

media for screaming for one, selling the farm never worked and it never will, the playoffs are much too brutal physically that causes injuries and with no depth, no cup. Simple as that but year after year it's been tried since day one here and people wonder why we don't have a cup... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2024 at 12:48 PM, nux_win said:

Me too.  I haven't been so optimistic about an upcoming Canucks' season in years.  I think that we're going to surprise a lot of people - again.  Go Canucks Go!

I personally could  not be less motivated to watch hockey im borderline embarassed to be a fan rn.

1. They fired Kate P 

2. They got rid of Big Z

3. They are clearly Russiaphobic.

4. They basically weakened our team and strengthened Boston whom we hate. Funny how we 

don't view the loss of Big Z as anything but we are much much easier to play against.

5. Oh yeah and hockey is fixed and fake.

So yeah couldnt care less about the team this year. Wont be watching a single game.

6 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

I personally could  not be less motivated to watch hockey im borderline embarassed to be a fan rn.

1. They fired Kate P 

2. They got rid of Big Z

3. They are clearly Russiaphobic.

4. They basically weakened our team and strengthened Boston whom we hate. Funny how we 

don't view the loss of Big Z as anything but we are much much easier to play against.

5. Oh yeah and hockey is fixed and fake.

So yeah couldnt care less about the team this year. Wont be watching a single game.

1. Why so sad? Are you Mr. Kate?

2. Zadorov got greedy, and the Canucks defense is actually bigger this season. 

3. Maybe Millstein is an a-hole, and greedy like Zadorov. 

4. Nope. The Canucks will be a stronger team this season with the additions of DeBrusk, Sherwood, Heinen, Forbort and Desharnais - some former Bruins there. 

5. I somewhat agree with this. Some teams seem to have all the "luck".  

• Cheers 2