[Report] Eric Staal retires.

17 minutes ago, Supreme17 said:

Given he got over the 1000pt mark and won a Stanlep Cup, Junior gold and Olympic gold does he make it into the hall of fame eventually?

Borderline case who probably squeaks in eventually.  Junior gold doesn't count for too much with the HOF committee but the fact that he was the 2nd best center in the league one season might get him over the top.  Never had another great season but they all added up.  He's kind of like a Bernie Federko with less really good seasons but a slightly better best season.

Staal shouldn't get in though if guys like Bernie Nicholls have been retired for 20 years and are still waiting.  And I don't think Staal really has a better case than other guys who aren't in like Rod Brind'Amour or Brian Propp or Bobby Smith or Dave Taylor etc.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Problem is HHOF values Stanley Cup wins above a lot of career stats.

You don't have to look very far to see that's not entirely true. Luongo? Sedins? Bure? Staal doesn't have the individual accolades per se but he is a member of the elusive triple gold club which only has 30 members, plus over 1000 pts in the NHL.

Edited by Integra250
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

You don't have to look very far to see that's not entirely true. Luongo? Sedins? Bure? Staal doesn't have the individual accolades per se but he is a member of the elusive triple gold club which only has 30 members, plus over 1000 pts in the NHL.

There's exceptions of course. But I don't think it's a secret that winning a Stanley Cup aids your odds of making it a lot.

• Cheers 2

On 7/31/2024 at 4:36 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

There's exceptions of course. But I don't think it's a secret that winning a Stanley Cup aids your odds of making it a lot.

It did matter a lot a couple decades ago.   Unless your were a Dionne, unlikely to get an automatic in.   They must have realized, expanding from 16-21-24 ... 28... that it's almost lucky these days for some stars, to find themselves on a team  that wins a cup.    Federko is that bar.   Staal for sure will eventually get the nod, but do agree with others, he better wait in line.   Unlike Getzlaf and Perry, who were middle six guys when they joined the league and won a cup,  Eric Staal exploded into the scene, had a 100 point season (one of the best first line centers at the time), and carried the mail to the final and the cup.    Selanne's line carried the mail in their cup run.   One of the most enjoyable runs since the lock-out as far as the hockey.

Staal won that cup, their vets eventually retired and they managed to keep a decent team for awhile, then a lot of total suckage, a lot like Rick Nash in CLB, he was pretty alone.  Aside from Francis, hard to find a better Hartford/CAR alumni than Eric Staal.    Brind-Amour is more deserving, but I see him just as much a Flyer, so maybe him too.   Well I suppose he's more Hartford, but man he did some awesome work with those beastly PHI teams in the 90's. 

Agree with @Kevin Biestra, there's a couple years of HHOF without any slam dunks, before he's up.   Joe Thornton probably is the best player of that era, not to win a cup.   Also if I had to pick between Staal and Rod the Bod building a team all things equal, the BC native is my pick. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

On 7/30/2024 at 9:51 PM, DrJockitch said:

Mogilny was a better player and more deserving of the HOF

Yes he was.  Consider Staals views on inclusion,  at least on par with whatever the HHOF has against Mogilny's lack of community efforts.    

Edited by IBatch

On 7/31/2024 at 1:36 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Kevin Lowe hides.🥸  No, this isn't to say he wasn't a more than respectable blueliner in his day but that's a far cry from being a 'Hall of Famer' (imho).

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Kevin Lowe hides.🥸  No, this isn't to say he wasn't a more than respectable blueliner in his day but that's a far cry from being a 'Hall of Famer' (imho).

I don't mind Lowe being in...but why Lowe and not JC Tremblay (5 Cups and a 1st Team All Star) or Jean Guy Talbot (1st Team All Star and 7 Cups) or Claude Provost (9 Cups and 11 All Star Games).  Lowe has 6 Cups and I think topped out at maybe 5th for the Norris one year.  Charlie Huddy was pretty much as good as Lowe on the same team (5 Cups, 6th for the Norris twice, led the NHL in +/- and is 3rd all time for career playoff +/-).

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 11:37 AM, Olli Juolevi said:

Doesn't seem right to talk about Eric Staal and not mention all the advocacy work he did for the LGBTQ community.

Eric Staal wore a pride jersey as a member of the Canadiens in 2021.

I’m sure he took great pride in that.

• Haha 2