Investing and Stocks Thread

Gurn

On 6/3/2024 at 8:34 PM, bolt said:

GPLiYKMWQAAjuPt.jpeg

All I am gonna say after today is being financially responsible bite me in the ass again.

Should had gone Yolo on game stop. 🤑

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a sizable amount of money available to short sellers who can trigger a sell off like this. Once it starts the ETF's have to adjust their holdings which compound the sells. Combine that with funds and traders who have sells strategies based on downside price targets. If you are a buy and hold guy like me you know the companies you hold or want to buy and use times like this to add stocks. For me it is all about the cash flow my portfolio generates and not capital gains or losses. 

My portfolio is in the same position as it was on July 11th and I was happy at that time. Go figure?

Edited by Boudrias

13 hours ago, Outsiders said:

anyone following gold and silver specifically miners?

My experience is that miners aren't worth the time or effort. Gold bullion is up 19% YTD which is nice but how long did you have to sit on it to get there? I prefer stocks that are giving me a piece of their cash flow in the form of dividends. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My experience is that miners aren't worth the time or effort. Gold bullion is up 19% YTD which is nice but how long did you have to sit on it to get there? I prefer stocks that are giving me a piece of their cash flow in the form of dividends. 

Definitely a frustrating sector for sure. very volatile but timing seems to be everything. 

2 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Definitely a frustrating sector for sure. very volatile but timing seems to be everything. 

If you can play the long game gold bullion has performed decently. But it means a hold measured in decades. I don't have that kind of time. I was in Hong Kong back in early '80's and bought an ounce of gold for about $300. Now I am leaving it to my grand daughter. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, bolt said:

Starbuck up 21% after firing their CEO who didn't want to work past 6pm and hiring the Chipotle Mexican Grill CEO.

Starbucks CEO replaced by Brian Niccol, a fixer who revived Chipotle when the chain was in distress (msn.com)

Good bounce back.

They had dropped a lot.

Now up a bit on the year. 2.3%

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Factoring in a Dotard victory - Nate Silver 🤪

He was just talking Kamala crash yesterday...

Can you crash upward?

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2024 at 11:18 AM, Boudrias said:

I hate commodities.

Running a business with high opex and capex with unknown price on your sales in unstable jurisdictions is a fat no.

2 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

I hate commodities.

Running a business with high opex and capex with unknown price on your sales in unstable jurisdictions is a fat no.

I have bought oil. People are rushing into gold as a possible monetary hedge but most commodities benefit in uncertainty or inflation. I prefer oil as I get a dividend and any global growth will give me capital gains. 

• Like 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

I have bought oil. People are rushing into gold as a possible monetary hedge but most commodities benefit in uncertainty or inflation. I prefer oil as I get a dividend and any global growth will give me capital gains. 

I also don't understand gold.

People go to gold in times of uncertainty but wouldn't you rather own grain or alcohol?

What does gold get you? I get that it is a traditional unit of bartar but I'd rather have food.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chris12345 said:

I also don't understand gold.

People go to gold in times of uncertainty but wouldn't you rather own grain or alcohol?

What does gold get you? I get that it is a traditional unit of bartar but I'd rather have food.

Just wait until the water wars start and we start seeing that traded on the open markets.