[Signing] Montreal re-signs Guhle 6 x $5.55m AAV

1 hour ago, Captain insano said:

-27 and 40 points through his first 114 games, soon to be 23 I just personally don’t see the value and every time I watch Montreal this kid is a give away machine 94 giveaways 48 take aways, I havnt even mentioned his high risk of being injury prone already sustaining 4 injuries in his first 2 seasons and one being serious concussion issues, for a guy that relies on being physical it’s just a very super high risk signing, not saying he can’t prove me wrong I’m just pointing out the facts 

+/- is a practically useless stat without a healthy dose of context.  Such as the fact that he's been playing top pairing minutes agaisnt teams best players on the youngest defence in the league.  I watch the games.  The handful of games you've watched dontvmean much to me when even Toronto and Boston fans are saying it's a great signing. His biggest issue has been health but that seems to be a common issue with young players who haven't reached physical maturity.  I think it's already a good value contract with a high possibility of being a steal.  Ultimately he projects to be a solid 2/3 D 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Devron said:

I just don’t like how they are handing out contracts to these young young players. What ever happened to putting in the time and work?

For me that depends. If you can sign a player long term at the right time, the team can have a steal for many years. As a fan I'd be happy with a great deal even if the player didn't earn it yet.

But I think this is best reserved for offensive players who could really pop off. On defense, if you're not a #1 D, I think it's more likely to result in cap problems than cap savings.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Michov had a lot of red flags. Reinbacher is a big right had shot D with a lot of upside.  A bit early to declare it a huge blunder.  Plus there are credible reports that Michkov was only willing to sign with a handful of teams.  But sure. Act like you're a successful NHL GM that has all the pertinent information

Also. You said they passed  on Buium and Dickenson because of Guhle and Hutson. Which clearly isn't the case.  They took Demidov with that pick. That's generally considered a huge win.  So way to move the goalposts 

It's always too early even if a player comes out of the gate storming.   There are a lot of Calder winners that teams would much rather of not had, with some other guy who struggled a bit.    Look at Bouchard.   Even his biggest detractors, have to give him some credit for what he accomplished last season.   For sure defenseman take longer, it's common knowledge.    Patience.    Player development isn't linear.   If it was Brock would have been a "30" goal scorer and more his sophomore season.     Also BPA year after year can log jam a certain position.     At least it's not BSA as well. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's always too early even if a player comes out of the gate storming.   There are a lot of Calder winners that teams would much rather of not had, with some other guy who struggled a bit.    Look at Bouchard.   Even his biggest detractors, have to give him some credit for what he accomplished last season.   For sure defenseman take longer, it's common knowledge.    Patience.    Player development isn't linear.   If it was Brock would have been a "30" goal scorer and more his sophomore season.     Also BPA year after year can log jam a certain position.     At least it's not BSA as well. 

If this was 15 years ago. Buffalo would have signed Myers 8x8. Which is hilarious when you think about it. Someone is going to get burned big time. I’m thinking Faber is a good possibility. At least Guhle is a more moderate risk 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Also funny. While Montreal has a bright future. To say they are building something insane is a stretch. Half those prospects won’t be impactful. That’s just math.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

Also funny. While Montreal has a bright future. To say they are building something insane is a stretch. Half those prospects won’t be impactful. That’s just math.

What is insane, is how many 24 and unders are on that roster to grow together.   Sure some with Gaudette themselves off the roster too.  

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

+/- is a practically useless stat without a healthy dose of context.  Such as the fact that he's been playing top pairing minutes agaisnt teams best players on the youngest defence in the league.  I watch the games.  The handful of games you've watched dontvmean much to me when even Toronto and Boston fans are saying it's a great signing. His biggest issue has been health but that seems to be a common issue with young players who haven't reached physical maturity.  I think it's already a good value contract with a high possibility of being a steal.  Ultimately he projects to be a solid 2/3 D 

I attached context (giveaways takeaways, ) but clearly you got your own bias fandom with Montreal (you watch the games and don’t care about a neutral spectators opinion) ima move on from this convo enjoy hanging out on another fan bases fan forum board 🤣

On 7/31/2024 at 8:21 PM, IBatch said:

Yup anyone saying Bouchard can’t play defence or is an ECHLer at best is out to lunch. He proved a lot of people wrong this playoff myself included. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/31/2024 at 8:59 PM, Devron said:

The one advantage they do have is if 2 or 3 of them hit they have the foundation of a solid defence though. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yup anyone saying Bouchard can’t play defence or is an ECHLer at best is out to lunch. He proved a lot of people wrong this playoff myself included. 

Paul Coffey has been working with him closely for awhile now.   He was also accused at times, but also known for some great defensive moments, including in the Canada Cup in 87.   Getting compared to Orr wasn't really fair.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/31/2024 at 8:59 PM, Devron said:

The thing is they don't need all of them to be impactful, by virtue of actually rebuilding and having a bunch of higher end youngsters, they only need 2 or 3 of their prospects to hit and they'll have a pretty great core. They also don't have a brutal cap situation, so they can supplement those youngsters with good vets pretty easily. Almost 12mil comes off the books after this coming season. The Gallagher and Anderson contracts are pretty brutal, but they can fill hard to play against roles for their youngsters and will be off the books if/when Demidov and Lane Hutson or whoever else breaks out and need big contracts. Say what you will, but they actually are building something pretty special. I am hopeful they put it together. I like when Canadian teams are good, a bad Montreal team is bad for Canadians sports imo.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Paul Coffey has been working with him closely for awhile now.   He was also accused at times, but also known for some great defensive moments, including in the Canada Cup in 87.   Getting compared to Orr wasn't really fair.  

Paul Coffey always struck me as maybe a Gretzky type of guy who would not be able to convey his talents to others as a teacher...but seems that I underestimated him there.  Seems to be really starting to make his name so far as an all time great assistant coach like Rick Bowness or Craig Ramsay.  And talented as he was he did really work on his skating...and he also didn't hit the ground sprinting in the NHL.  It took him a year of adjustment, same as Messier.

Guy had to learn some stuff once he got to the NHL to actually become Paul Coffey.  So did Messier but after 1994 he fell in love with his own legend too much to ever be a teacher and also has too much ego to ever be an assistant coach.

I think maybe in my ROH thread someone was talking about the greatest skaters on the Canucks blueline in history.  They left out Doug Lidster who was the only Canuck whose skating ever reminded me a little bit of Paul Coffey.  We had Lidster as an assistant coach a few years ago...kind of struck me wrong how unceremoniously he was dismissed at the end and like a few others ought to be in the ROH himself and is rarely or ever even mentioned.

And yeah I think I remember that defensive play in the 87 Canada Cup, I think the one you are talking about.  Sprinting back and diving with his stick to break up a 2-0 or something like that.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

On 7/31/2024 at 6:09 PM, Devron said:

I just don’t like how they are handing out contracts to these young young players. What ever happened to putting in the time and work?

The league have shifted, teams and the young players are both in favour of longer term contract after ELCs.

In the salary cap world, it is more important to receive surplus value in your contract. Teams would much rather lock-up core pieces (top 6 forward and top 4 defenseman) to 6-8 year deals instead of 3-5 year bridge deals we saw in the past.

Being able to have young players entering their prime locked up, betting on potential of them is the new model of building a team.

Teams are moving away from paying veterans the big contract for what they have done in the past. It is a much more ruthless approach when it comes to roster building. See what Tampa Bay did with Stamkos and Vegas had been doing to their core players since inception.

Over the last few seasons, teams who are able to manage to have their core players locked up before their break-out season are benefiting from it. Jack Hughes is a prime example of why teams does this.

I wish the Canucks were able to lock up both Pettersson and Hughes at 8 x 8-8.5 3 years ago, but that time and opportunity is gone.