The Travel Thread

Babych

Last year I went to Romania to visit my family for a month, and on the way back had a layover in Amsterdam, very cute. Later, I went to Nepal in the summer to work for an NGO, lived in Kathmandu for three months. It was like living in a different reality, really special experience and I would hope to visit once more, however the plane tickets from Vancouver are very expensive :classic_wacko:. On the way back, I extended my layover in Delhi to 5 days so I could have time to visit Agra and the Taj Mahal. India is also a very interesting place, huge contrasts between different areas, especially in big cities.

This year, I've been at home but looking to travel somewhere by the end of the year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

My favourite place I have been is Bermuda a few times.  A friend I went to high school with has lived there for 38 years I think?  He and his wife are retiring back to Nanaimo soon so no more trips there.  They do own a cottage outside of Stockholm as she is from there so hopefully we go there one day soon.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

A warning for left handed folk that are thinking of traveling.

do your research- there are a number of countries where using your left hand, to do things, ranges from 'frowned on" to outright rude".

I was looking into the idea of a cooler spot in Thailand, and discovered that my partial left handedness could be an issue.

While I'm more of a 'do everything, with either hand' guy, it is possible to accidently insult/offend people.

30 minutes ago, Gurn said:

A warning for left handed folk that are thinking of traveling.

do your research- there are a number of countries where using your left hand, to do things, ranges from 'frowned on" to outright rude".

I was looking into the idea of a cooler spot in Thailand, and discovered that my partial left handedness could be an issue.

While I'm more of a 'do everything, with either hand' guy, it is possible to accidently insult/offend people.

Won't be an issue in Thailand in the vast majority of the country, maybe in the villages. The main reason is the left hand supposedly is the hand you use to wash your arse. So it is considered unclean. If you shake hands or fist bump just use your right hand. There are other little things which are considered rude such do not point to things with your feet, like something on a bottom shelf (shoes are dirty) and do not touch someone's head, they react like recent HOF'er Adrian Beltre who famously went ape shit whenever his head was touched.

y5ZHdnB.gif

For a cooler spot in Thailand look at Chiang Mai up in the mountains or Koh Samui a southern Island.

• Cheers 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:21 AM, Phil_314 said:

So far, I've been to San Francisco, Washington DC and New York.  I think SF is somewhat overrated TBH, with how hilly and crime-ridden the area has become, though there are still fun spots if you've never been.  In contrast, I think Washington DC is underrated, with 17(!) free and world-class museums and an elevated food scene, plus the area around White House and the European-styled buildings are quite beautiful (National Mall, Lincoln Memorial, other gov't buildings, etc.).  Lastly, what more needs to be said for NY?  Though since this was my second time going, it was great exploring some of Brooklyn and Queens (which has a diverse food scene due to immigration).  If you're into Broadway, definitely recommend catching a show, and look online for deals!  

been to DC twice, have to agree its a surprisingly nice place to visit. The memorials are pretty neat, saw the Korean War memorial at night and it was pretty moving. The Smithsonian was incredible and a lot of good pubs too. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

been to DC twice, have to agree its a surprisingly nice place to visit. The memorials are pretty neat, saw the Korean War memorial at night and it was pretty moving. The Smithsonian was incredible and a lot of good pubs too. 

YES, the nighttime tours for the memorials were quite amazing, and I loved the National History museum.  The only things that I didn't prefer as much about the area were the Vietnam War Memorial (pretty jarring to see military depicted in IRL, though ofc I know it's America), plus the notion of staying in DC proper (as a POC I felt like I stood out like a sore thumb when exploring because there weren't many people from my background) and the cost for accommodation AND transportation if staying in the 'burbs (staying in DC is freakishly expensive, and even taking the train outside and then Uber home everyday added up quickly, since their busses take forever).

Edited by Phil_314

13 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

YES, the nighttime tours for the memorials were quite amazing, and I loved the National History museum.  The only things that I didn't prefer as much about the area were the Vietnam War Memorial (pretty jarring to see military depicted in IRL, though ofc I know it's America), plus the notion of staying in DC proper (as a POC I felt like I stood out like a sore thumb when exploring because there weren't many people from my background) and the cost for accommodation AND transportation if staying in the 'burbs (staying in DC is freakishly expensive, and even taking the train outside and then Uber home everyday added up quickly, since their busses take forever).

Both were business trips for me so I wasn't too concerned about costs. Stayed in Georgetown which was nice.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Both were business trips for me so I wasn't too concerned about costs. Stayed in Georgetown which was nice.

Ahh great choice then, good mix of youthful energy and history there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

I like to see new places but I dislike the travel part. Like it when I get there. I often prefer travelling in my dreams. 

Flying is like winged cattle carrier. Would much prefer a little slower travel to get places. 

Edited by Spur1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

Never really wanted to travel, Canada has everything I'm interested in.

I'd go to Europe if they let me attack a castle...

Curious, have you traveled internationally before, and where did you go?  How was that experience?

Wow. Try ordering delivery to a hotel these days online. 
For eff sake could you not use the KISS principle. Keep it simple stupid. 
Going to bed hungry. 
Just show me the menu and let me order by phone. 

On 8/4/2024 at 12:59 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Won't be an issue in Thailand in the vast majority of the country, maybe in the villages. The main reason is the left hand supposedly is the hand you use to wash your arse. So it is considered unclean. If you shake hands or fist bump just use your right hand. There are other little things which are considered rude such do not point to things with your feet, like something on a bottom shelf (shoes are dirty) and do not touch someone's head, they react like recent HOF'er Adrian Beltre who famously went ape shit whenever his head was touched.

y5ZHdnB.gif

For a cooler spot in Thailand look at Chiang Mai up in the mountains or Koh Samui a southern Island.

Thailand is so awesome. 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been to the  Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort in Honolulu

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g60982-d87052-Reviews-Outrigger_Reef_Waikiki_Beach_Resort-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

I still cant travel because of health issues but will be able to soon hopefully?

I booked my wife and son to stay here for a week

It's just a short walk to Duke's ( a Jimmy Buffett song)

?