automobiles

smithers joe

6 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

the car i forgot, was a ford bronco from the 80's

I would love one of those too!

They are worth a pretty penny these days.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

My first car was a Ford Fairlane 500. (couldn't tell you the year, but it was probably early 70's) My brother in law was a mechanic, so he helped me get it on the road. (We purchased the body and then dropped a motor from a car that my sister had totalled into it)

I only had it for a few months and then I was sitting at a stop sign at the bottom of a hill when a drunk plowed into me. I was fine, but the car wasn't. In fact, I could tell the guy was drunk. I wanted to get out and pound him, but my doors were all jammed shut and I couldn't get out. Had to sit there and watch the asshole drive away...

My next car was a Toyota Celica. Had it for several years and basically ran it into the ground. I could tell it was nearing the end when big things were breaking.

Once we had kids, we bought a Ford Taurus station wagon and were actually quite happy with it. When it started to go south, we traded it in and got a Windstar. That was the vehicle that turned us off Ford. It was in for repairs on a regular basis, until the one time when the local Ford dealership couldn't figure out how to fix it.

We gave all of the "Big 3" dealerships a shot at selling us our next vehicle, but the offers were underwhelming, to say the least. We went back to Toyota and after a few years of owning a Yaris with a standard transmission which I liked, but the wife didn't, (even though she was the one who bought it) we traded it in for a Rav4 which we are still driving.

• Cheers 4

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

'78 Datsun 510

'74 Jeep CJ3

'89 Ford Probe

'66 Dodge Fargo Van ( band toured western Canada in this old beauty, lucky to be alive. Wish I never sold it...such an awesome vehicle)

'75 Vespa 150 Super Sport

'76 Dodge Dart Swinger

'07 Audi A4 3.2 Cab

'07 Dodge Ram 4x4

'84 VW Vanagon GL

Still own the bolded. Wish I had all of them ( except the Probe...dont know what I was thinking)

All in great shape. I have a stable of mediocre rides. 

I dont like new vehicles.

In the future I have my eyes set on a square body Truck, maybe a C10 ( might sell the Ram if I do)

I also plan to buy a dream hotrod one day...'68 Firebird...or similar.

Great list, just wondering how high you were when the Probe seemed like a fit? 

Great jeep, that would have been fun. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Guessing on the years, but;

? Hyundai Pony $1'400 (stick, rear wheel drive, crashed)

'82 Accord sedan $1'200 (stick, died)

'82 Accord hatch $1'500 (stick, crashed)

Above were all pizza delivery beasts, went almost 10 years without driving after those.

'88 Cherokee $900 (auto, died)

'04 Corolla $4'000 "newest" vehicle I ever owned (stick, died)

? Ranger free (auto, died)

? Caravan $900 (auto, died)

'04 Civic $1'000 (stick, died)

'07 Liberty $3'500 nicest vehicle I ever owned (auto, died recently)

'03 Jetta free *current

I do not enjoy driving, too painful on my worn out knee and hip. I tend to bike when I can, and only really drive for work and to avoid transit peasants.

The last vehicles I intend to buy will be a truck and a trailer/motor home we'll drive to our acreage and live in while we build a cabin. First we need to buy the acreage 🤪

Edited by Maninthebox
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

My first car was a Ford Fairlane 500. (couldn't tell you the year, but it was probably early 70's) My brother in law was a mechanic, so he helped me get it on the road. (We purchased the body and then dropped a motor from a car that my sister had totalled into it)

I only had it for a few months and then I was sitting at a stop sign at the bottom of a hill when a drunk plowed into me. I was fine, but the car wasn't. In fact, I could tell the guy was drunk. I wanted to get out and pound him, but my doors were all jammed shut and I couldn't get out. Had to sit there and watch the asshole drive away...

My next car was a Toyota Celica. Had it for several years and basically ran it into the ground. I could tell it was nearing the end when big things were breaking.

Once we had kids, we bought a Ford Taurus station wagon and were actually quite happy with it. When it started to go south, we traded it in and got a Windstar. That was the vehicle that turned us off Ford. It was in for repairs on a regular basis, until the one time when the local Ford dealership couldn't figure out how to fix it.

We gave all of the "Big 3" dealerships a shot at selling us our next vehicle, but the offers were underwhelming, to say the least. We went back to Toyota and after a few years of owning a Yaris with a standard transmission which I liked, but the wife didn't, (even though she was the one who bought it) we traded it in for a Rav4 which we are still driving.

My brother had a 1957 Chevy Pickup, Then a 1962 Ford. He then got a 1984 Toyota Pickup that despite 2 accidents, you just couldn't kill it. He then for 30 years bought or leased various Ford Trucks. Then about 10 years ago, we were chatting. And he was griping about all the problems with his Ford. I said to him, why don't you go and try out a Toyota, his last one you couldn't kill it? Sure enough a month or so later. What do I see in his driveway? A brand new Tundra. And a few years later his son got a Tacoma.

I don't hear him complaining about his Toyota pickups ever.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Guessing on the years, but;

? Hyundai Pony $1'400 (stick, rear wheel drive, crashed)

'82 Accord sedan $1'200 (stick, died)

'82 Accord hatch $1'500 (stick, crashed)

Above were all pizza delivery beasts, went almost 10 years without driving after those.

'88 Cherokee $900 (stick, died)

'04 Corolla $4'000 "newest vehicle I ever owned (stick, died)

? Ranger free (auto, died)

? Caravan $900 (auto, died)

'04 Civic $1'000 (stick, died)

'07 Liberty $3'500 nicest vehicle I ever owned (auto, died recently)

'03 Jetta free *current

I do not enjoy driving, too painful on my worn out knee and hip. I tend to bike when I can, and only really drive for work and to avoid transit peasants.

The last vehicles I intend to buy will be a truck and a trailer/motor home we'll drive to our acreage and live in while we build a cabin. First we need to buy the acreage 🤪

Airstream?

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Airstream?

Oh buddy, my gandpa had a gorgeous airstream I could have bought for $1'500 when I was 16. Had I known then what I know now...

Not looking at anything in particular just yet. It's a 'five year plan' for when my last spawn finally leaves the nest.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Maninthebox said:

Oh buddy, my gandpa had a gorgeous airstream I could have bought for $1'500 when I was 16. Had I known then what I know now...

Not looking at anything in particular just yet. It's a 'five year plan' for when my last spawn finally leaves the nest.

My brother was talking about them. I scoffed at first. Then I started looking at them, and damn they are nice. I'm not a trailer person, but I totally understand the appeal.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My brother had a 1957 Chevy Pickup, Then a 1962 Ford. He then got a 1984 Toyota Pickup that despite 2 accidents, you just couldn't kill it. He then for 30 years bought or leased various Ford Trucks. Then about 10 years ago, we were chatting. And he was griping about all the problems with his Ford. I said to him, why don't you go and try out a Toyota, his last one you couldn't kill it? Sure enough a month or so later. What do I see in his driveway? A brand new Tundra. And a few years later his son got a Tacoma.

I don't hear him complaining about his Toyota pickups ever.

I had a similar conversation with the drummer in my band. He's a Chevy guy (or was) who since I've known him, has owned both Silverados and Sierras....

His 2019 Denali just packed it in.....the local shop couldn't fix it, so he had it loaded onto a flat bed and driven to the dealership in Terrace. $5700 later, it was back to good. He drove it straight to Terrace Toyota and trade it in for a new Tacoma. (They gave him $40k for it)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Chevy G10 van (back in the music/band days)

1986 BMW 325e

1988 BMW 325is

1990 BMW 318

2009 BMW 128i

Current car:

low kilometre BMW 135.  it rips

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I learned to drive on the old family Dodge 442. No idea what 442 stood for but it wasn’t the engine. A few of you might remember the old push button transmission.

My first ride was a Honda 250 street & trail until I realized I was too reckless and not destined for a long life if I kept riding. Next was about a ‘70 Pontiac Sprint (one of 2 vehicles I wish I had back) and my wife’s new ‘70 (I think) Camaro (lemon) which we traded both in for a tricked-out Dodge Maxi-Van. I got eaten for breakfast on that deal but as a young married couple we had so much fun it!

After that it was a 78ish Ford Bronco (the other one that got away) that could go anywhere and through anything, and did. Then it was two old man cars mostly for work, a Chrysler Lebaron and a brand new Ford LTD Country Squire, resplendent in its fake woodgrain panelling! A Ford Tempo that my wife’s employer leased for her was our longest serving second car that we eventually gave to my mom. The car outlasted its paint and my mom.

A new Grand Prix was the worst piece of shit car we ever had and began a lifelong feud with Chev. Next a Nissan Maxima, so much fun to drive but the one that taught me I was getting too old and time to get into an SUV.  Now it’s a Ford Edge and an F150 as well as an rv on a Ford Transit Diesel platform. Not sure when or how but I seem to have become a Ford guy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Great list, just wondering how high you were when the Probe seemed like a fit? 

Great jeep, that would have been fun. 

Hahaha!, I didnt touch any herb until my mid 20's ( thank god, I think weed use before the brain develops is not good)

Honest story...

My brother wrote my Jeep off, he had 'borrowed' it one snow storm. I have still to forgive him.

Once I got my ICBC settlement  ( totally undervalued my jeep) my dad said he would loan me some extra money to get a good vehicle. He had helped me fix up the jeep and was a bit pissed at my bro too.

I went to the car lot with him and fell in love with a Toyota 4x4 truck. Perfect teen machine.

He saw the Probe for a few k less. He made me do a test drive, it drove great...so modern compared to my Jeep. Dad mentioned about how it had a nice big back seat, they even fold down...you could sleep in here. He knew what he was doing...

My libido heard him load and clear....sold.

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

All my cars have been automatic

1st car: 1995 Nissan Sentra (4dr/Red). Given to me from my dad in 2006 & I only had it for a couple of months & i sold it cause i got another car which was:

2nd car: 2000 VW Golf GLS 1.8T (4dr/Silver). Bought it in 2006 from my older sister cause she bought a brand new VW Jetta. It got totalled in an accident (not my fault) in 2012 which my next car was:

3rd car: 2009 Audi A4 (4dr/Meteor Gray). Kept it until 2018 when I traded it in for:

4th car: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe (Daytona Gray). Best & the most fun car I’ve had so far in my history & I still miss it from time to time. Traded it in 2022 for:

Current: 2022 Audi Q3 (Daytona Gray). I wanted an SUV at that time. OK car & good thing it takes regular gas.

Probably for my next car in the next year or two my choices will be a Merc CLE coupe, Merc GLC, BMW X3, or Audi Q5

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I happen to like Mitsubishi which has a great warranty but they don't seem to be that popular in Canada. Not sure why.

Just don't mention the war...

KGxIRx.gif

Or the Mitsubishi Zero:

5c9af14cc2764cd180eee7371fd7db6c.gif

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

I learned to drive on the old family Dodge 442. No idea what 442 stood for but it wasn’t the engine. A few of you might remember the old push button transmission.

My first ride was a Honda 250 street & trail until I realized I was too reckless and not destined for a long life if I kept riding. Next was about a ‘70 Pontiac Sprint (one of 2 vehicles I wish I had back) and my wife’s new ‘70 (I think) Camaro (lemon) which we traded both in for a tricked-out Dodge Maxi-Van. I got eaten for breakfast on that deal but as a young married couple we had so much fun it!

After that it was a 78ish Ford Bronco (the other one that got away) that could go anywhere and through anything, and did. Then it was two old man cars mostly for work, a Chrysler Lebaron and a brand new Ford LTD Country Squire, resplendent in its fake woodgrain panelling! A Ford Tempo that my wife’s employer leased for her was our longest serving second car that we eventually gave to my mom. The car outlasted its paint and my mom.

A new Grand Prix was the worst piece of shit car we ever had and began a lifelong feud with Chev. Next a Nissan Maxima, so much fun to drive but the one that taught me I was getting too old and time to get into an SUV.  Now it’s a Ford Edge and an F150 as well as an rv on a Ford Transit Diesel platform. Not sure when or how but I seem to have become a Ford guy.

A Dodge would be a 440. 442 is actually an Oldsmobile Model (4 speed, 4 barrel carburetor, dual exhaust).

Never heard of a 442 Dodge.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1998 Ford Taurus baby shit gold

1982 Ford Econoline Shaggin wagon cost 10$ to turn the key.

1992 Dodge 12v Cummins red hauled anything handled like shit without a load. never put a teenager behind the wheel of this truck. Death trap.

2004 subaru Imprezza tin can dented if you looked at it hard. Also for a 4 banger pretty meh on fuel

2001 VW Touareg more electrical issues than the Millenium falcon lots of cool features inc a wine chiller. Illuminated sidewalk when you exit. 

2004 Acura MDX luxury very nice interior but nothing else felt luxurious about it. Definitely not made to be taken off road.

2004 Infinity QX4 Probably my fave suv I've owned just a really solid gussied up Pathfinder looked great drove excellent on dirt or pavement. Would buy again.

2000 Nissan Frontier crew cab excellent 4x4 pickup preferred it to the era tacomas but accelerated like a 80's diesel Mercedes and backseats were not comfortable for adults. Crawled up anything in 4x4. 

2004 Toyota Tundra crew cab best pickup ever made for the NA market no contest. If you can find a grandpa'd one buy it.

2003 Kia Sorento absolute garbage bought with under 100xxxk. think I sold this within 6 months. 

2021 F150 v6 turbo Very good solidly built truck takes a beating offroad. Can't see the motor lasting more than 250xxxK though not nearly as capable in deep snow or mud as my 04 tundra. 

Edit: Almost forgot one of my absolute faves. 1994 Ford Aerostar electronic 4x4. I bought it for 700 bucks Ultimate dirt cheep adventure rig I beat the literal crap out of that thing had it for 5 years put nothing into it except gas and oil. Unfortunately the rust got too bad it was a sad day when I drove it to the wreckers to likely be crushed. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Hahaha!, I didnt touch any herb until my mid 20's ( thank god, I think weed use before the brain develops is not good)

Honest story...

My brother wrote my Jeep off, he had 'borrowed' it one snow storm. I have still to forgive him.

Once I got my ICBC settlement  ( totally undervalued my jeep) my dad said he would loan me some extra money to get a good vehicle. He had helped me fix up the jeep and was a bit pissed at my bro too.

I went to the car lot with him and fell in love with a Toyota 4x4 truck. Perfect teen machine.

He saw the Probe for a few k less. He made me do a test drive, it drove great...so modern compared to my Jeep. Dad mentioned about how it had a nice big back seat, they even fold down...you could sleep in here. He knew what he was doing...

My libido heard him load and clear....sold.

Only ever saw women driving the Probe...

Same with the Rogue..

Something subliminal going on here..

Don't know why it affected your dad though.

Toyota makes superior trucks; I'm on my 5th pickup; 2 of the original little ones, aT100, and then other 2 were/are 2nd Gen Tundras.

Just got this one and haven't had a chance to mount the serous tires etc yet, but this is one Gone Little Truck with only 2 huge doors, almost 400 horses, an 8-foot box and a one-ton payload:

Anybody know how to 'right' this picture, I can't seem to get it to stop inverting when I 'copy and paste'???

image.thumb.jpeg.bbd6212394ddc22bd4f67f3472fd1535.jpeg

Edited by Goal_thecup
  • Cheers 1

In 1969 I kind of inherited my mom's 1955 Morris Minor that had a 4 cyclinder, 850cc motor. That was roughly equivalent to four hamsters running on a treadmill. Getting up Burnaby Mountain every day was a long, low-geared ordeal. That car died waiting for the ferry in Horseshoe Bay when my brother gunned the engine and broke the crankshaft. My own first car after that was a 1965 Dodge Polara from Ontario that had a few rust issues. When I got ambitious and decided to do body work myself, there were 41 holes in the body after I finished sanding out the rust spots. A few cans of Bondo later, I found a guy over in the Dunbar area that would paint it for $50 if I supplied the paint. I sold it the next summer for almost what I paid for it, which was $475.

• Like 2