If the Canucks had to trade either Hughes OR Pettersson who would you pick?

If the Canucks had to trade either Hughes OR Pettersson who would you pick?   

89 members have voted

1. 1. If the Canucks had to trade either Hughes OR Pettersson who would you pick?

• Quinn Hughes
    • Elias Pettersson

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Cant believe you would trade Miller!

🙃

Actually I'd trade Petey before Miller, I still think JT has a lot of miles in him left and especially his leadership abilities and how the younger guys look up to him as a leader and mentor and rightly so. 

As much as I like Petey, I think we overpaid him for too long, I don't know the details of course but I would have offered a 2 more year extension of show me your peak at 10 mil a season but maybe he was offered something like that and turned it down, who knows but anyway... 

We're going to see if it was a bad or good move, time will tell right?

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, iceman1964 said:

Explain that.. I'm not going to trust anyone at their word, so tell me how you can tell that  he hasn't reached his peak? I'm open to hearing, I'm just not going to trust some because someone says trust me unless I see proof 

Why would you think that a 25 year old 100 point two way centre who had a terrible year last year with ONLY 89 points playing with two Russians who were so bad they aren’t even on the team any more is already at his peak?  That makes no sense.  

Nobody can predict the future, so I can’t give you actual proof, but if you use common sense then you can figure out that Petey has ALOT more to offer in his NHL career.  I mean Henrik Sedin didn’t win the Hart trophy until he was 29.  He wasn’t even a top line player until he was 25.  Same with Naslund.  So there is no logical reason to think that Petey is already at his peak.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

If the world was ending after the coming SCF and we wanted to go out on top but we NEEDED to make this trade, I think we'd trade Pete.  Miller at this point is the sure thing between the two of them, in that he can play all situations (#1 C/ any position/ PP QB/ faceoff/ PK/ breakaway/ shootout/ physical) so we know he's at the peak of his powers (and likely durability) for another season or two yet.  Petey's a slight question mark in terms of the fanbase's "what have you done for me lately" mentality, but if we're building for years to come I think we trade Miller since he's already 31 whereas Pete should rebound and ascend to his peak, probably reminiscent of Nick Backstrom in terms of impact.

Flipping a coin 100 times, I'd probably trade Petey 51 times to Miller's 49; pretty narrow difference in my book.

• Cheers 1

I picked Pete mainly because our window is now. Before Hughes gets paid.The team we could build around Miller Hughes Demko with the assets from trading Pete would outweigh the alternative scenario IMO. 

If we had a stable full of prospects I might go the other way. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Good grief.  This is like asking, would you prefer to die by drowning or by immolation. 

You're going to pick drowning, but it's still a terrible choice.

Or eaten by Sharks or Electricacution on a battery powered boat?

• Haha 2

I picked Miller due to the age gap, but then I remembered the contract difference and changed back to Miller. If they were the same age, there wouldn't even be a hesitation in my mind.

If I have to trade away 1, it will definitely be Miller.

Miller is currently 30, and just had a career season. His value is at his peak.

Pettersson is only 25, and I believe his best hockey is still ahead of him.

Trade Miller for Brady Tkachuk+ (somewhere along the lines of that) would actually expand our contending window a little wider.

However, I believe Miller will age fine, and he should still be a consistent top 6 player even into his 30s. So preference is to keep both.

• Cheers 1

On 8/5/2024 at 1:36 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s a slow summer day, nothing else to talk about!!!  Who you got?  Who gets traded?

On 8/5/2024 at 1:39 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

A really slow summer day!!!   😊

Who you got?  Who gets traded?

Sorry The Hangover GIF

I was cleaning up redundant threads and I saw how similar these thread titles were, made at the same time, with almost identical tweets, and the same “slow summer day” lead up and I merged them, only to afterwards realized one was Miller vs Petey and the other was Hughes vs Petey. 

Once you merge them you can’t undo it. All I can do now is bask in this abomination of a thread that I’ve created. 

Sorry about that @Elias Pettersson 

• Huggy Bear 1