Pavel Bure or Quinn Hughes

iceman1964

I noticed a talk on Canucks army about  Quinn Hughes being the best draft pick in Canucks history or not. 

It's actually hard to say, on one hand it is a debate for sure but on the other it becomes one that Bure made a bigger impact on the franchise at his arrival that essentially put us on the map as far as a franchise goes, so the debate can go up another level as well.

So what is your opinion on it? 

With some more thought, I guess you could bring up Daniel and Henrik as well but I think they might be a shade and I do mean a shade under Bure and Hughes but that can be debated too I suppose, they didn't put us on the map like Bure did but they sure had a huge hand on keeping us there.

Edited by iceman1964
  • Cheers 1

For draft value, it's Pavel and not even close, as he was taken very late due to his perceived eligibility to be drafted. Straight up, I would pick QH, and I'm a huge fan of Pavel and that era's players as this was when I played my teenage hockey.

• Cheers 1

Pat Quinn pulled off the move of a lifetime scooping Bure out of the Soviet Union. Unreal talent. Would do anything to get a goal or make a pass.

Much of the time it was dirty big time, but from the tapes I've seen, it did have it's place in the way the game is played now.

Raw talent, Bure

IQ, Hughes

Both could take over a game in their own way. It’s hard to say, but I might take Bure over Hughes just because of the raw talent, speed and power that Bure had. The guys legs were fuckin tree trunks.  Bure could win a game by himself, Hughes can control a game, but I wouldn’t exactly say he could win a game by himself. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NHLer said:

Bure for entertainment value. Hughes for Stanley Cup value. 

Not sure why you would say that at this point.  Bure got us to the final and almost won the Conn Smythe.  So far I don't have much evidence that Hughes is going to put it into an extra gear in the playoffs and some evidence that he will get "Phil Housleyed" into semi-ineffectiveness.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

hughes is a team player, bure not so much.

True Bure was more of an individualist but he was so good at it anyway that he could just win a game by himself.  Whatever had happened in the first four periods of something like Game 7 against Calgary in 1994...water under the bridge if the puck ended up on Pavel's stick.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Bure saved the team in the 90s, so it's hard to put a price on that. Nonetheless, Hughes will likely have the greater legacy as a Canuck in my mind.

Then again, I rate Bure far lower as a Canuck than most fans do due to his short tenure here. I'd argue his best years weren't even in Vancouver (Florida).

• Upvote 1