Pavel Bure or Quinn Hughes

iceman1964

4 minutes ago, WillisD said:

Hughes. He's our captain and one of the best d in nhl history. 

I watched Bure live and he was, at times,  unbelievable but the fact that he wanted out puts him in Kessler territory.

Yup. Bure was great. But Hughes is a phenom. He’s a unique player. 

• Like 1

I know this is just for fun and all, but it's comparing 2 completely different players in my opinion.

That being said, if Hughes wins us a cup, it'll be lights out Hughes by far. 

Well either way, we were and are fortunate to have had Bure to watch and be amazed at how much incredibly gifted he was, Hughes is indeed showing big signs of greatness himself with the talent he has and is a lot of fun to watch and makes us all wonder when he will peak but I doubt it's anytime soon as he's still very young and you know he sets a high standard for himself and will continue to get even better. 

You have to love players with that kind of passion! 

• Upvote 1

bure and it's not even close.. hughes would not survive in bures era nor would he even be drafted for his size alone.. bure dominated in the 90s.. and he'll easily dominate in this no touch league now.. and bures proven he has a 2nd 3rd gear in the playoff.. hughes haven't yet.. can't really just say well he was injured.. coz that's how they will play him each and every single playoff.. pound him to oblivion

• Upvote 2

On 8/8/2024 at 2:34 AM, iceman1964 said:

I noticed a talk on Canucks army about  Quinn Hughes being the best draft pick in Canucks history or not. 

It's actually hard to say, on one hand it is a debate for sure but on the other it becomes one that Bure made a bigger impact on the franchise at his arrival that essentially put us on the map as far as a franchise goes, so the debate can go up another level as well.

So what is your opinion on it? 

With some more thought, I guess you could bring up Daniel and Henrik as well but I think they might be a shade and I do mean a shade under Bure and Hughes but that can be debated too I suppose, they didn't put us on the map like Bure did but they sure had a huge hand on keeping us there.

If I had to pick between a prime Pavel Bure and Quinn Hughes, I'd lean towards Pavel Bure for a few reasons:

Impact and Scoring Ability

• Pavel Bure's ability to change the course of a game with his offensive prowess was unmatched. Bure had a rare combination of speed, skill, and finishing ability that made him one of the most dynamic players of his era.

Game-Changing Presence

• Bure’s presence on the ice was game-changing. Defenses had to be constantly aware of where he was, as he could score from anywhere with a burst of speed. He was the type of player who could single-handedly win games, making him an invaluable asset to any team.

Defensive Contributions vs. Offensive Spark

• While Quinn Hughes is an elite defenseman and a cornerstone of the Canucks' defense with his ability to quarterback a power play, create offense from the blue line, and skate smoothly, his contributions are more about setting up plays and maintaining possession. Bure's ability to consistently find the back of the net and create immediate offense is something that’s harder to come by.

Historical Significance

• Pavel Bure's arrival in Vancouver marked the beginning of a new era for the Canucks. He led them to the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals, creating a legacy that still resonates with fans. His prime was a defining period for the franchise.

In essence, Bure’s ability to score goals at a prolific rate and his game-changing speed would give him the edge for me. While Quinn Hughes is a tremendous talent and one of the best defensemen the Canucks have had, the sheer offensive firepower that Bure brought to the team during his prime would be my deciding factor.

Edited by Spiked Alia

On 8/16/2024 at 8:36 AM, Spiked Alia said:

If I had to pick between a prime Pavel Bure and Quinn Hughes, I'd lean towards Pavel Bure for a few reasons:

Impact and Scoring Ability

• Pavel Bure's ability to change the course of a game with his offensive prowess was unmatched. Bure had a rare combination of speed, skill, and finishing ability that made him one of the most dynamic players of his era.

Game-Changing Presence

• Bure’s presence on the ice was game-changing. Defenses had to be constantly aware of where he was, as he could score from anywhere with a burst of speed. He was the type of player who could single-handedly win games, making him an invaluable asset to any team.

Defensive Contributions vs. Offensive Spark

• While Quinn Hughes is an elite defenseman and a cornerstone of the Canucks' defense with his ability to quarterback a power play, create offense from the blue line, and skate smoothly, his contributions are more about setting up plays and maintaining possession. Bure's ability to consistently find the back of the net and create immediate offense is something that’s harder to come by.

Historical Significance

• Pavel Bure's arrival in Vancouver marked the beginning of a new era for the Canucks. He led them to the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals, creating a legacy that still resonates with fans. His prime was a defining period for the franchise.

In essence, Bure’s ability to score goals at a prolific rate and his game-changing speed would give him the edge for me. While Quinn Hughes is a tremendous talent and one of the best defensemen the Canucks have had, the sheer offensive firepower that Bure brought to the team during his prime would be my deciding factor.

Yeah I'd agree with all of that, I still remember the breakaway goal of him dropping the puck to his skates kicking it to his stick and then scoring, that was a insane goal at high speed and he made it look at easy as it was nothing at all.. 

Different eras and different positions. Bure could make plays at amazing speed. Hughes has amazing agility. A highly-skilled offensive player like Bure is always more exciting to watch so he wins out there. Hughes might (hopefully) be the difference in finally winning the cup.

It depends on who you already have on this team.

E.g.: If you have a Cale Makar on your current team, then I will take Bure.

However, if you already have McDavid on your team, then I will take Hughes.

It's difficult to define greatness, even more so when one in the glory days of his career.

When one is a defenseman and the other a forward+/  Hughes has years to continue to impress and will;

Hard not to remember the Russian Rocket and his exploits....

• Like 1

I don't know if I've chimed in before or not.

There's one reason this is really difficult to answer - they play different positions so a comparison is tough for me.

They're equally great assets to the team.

Bure was amazing to watch...you got your money's worth in an explosive way. He was magical when he got that puck on his stick...his rushes and his goals were a thing of beauty. Electrifying.

Hughes is Hughdini to me. The way he controls the puck with ease, his slick and seamless skating ability. Always seems so relaxed/composed as he works his way out of our end and leaves players in his dust. He's so damn elusive.

Can't do it. Sorry. I'm taking both.

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2024 at 10:43 PM, iceman1964 said:

Yeah I'd agree with all of that, I still remember the breakaway goal of him dropping the puck to his skates kicking it to his stick and then scoring, that was a insane goal at high speed and he made it look at easy as it was nothing at all.. 

Too bad he did it in pre season and did not try it regular season! 

I mean the fact that there are differing opinions here says a lot.

Both are such impactful players that change the makeup of any team they are on.

I will go Hughes though.

The metrics of how good our team is on the ice with Hughes out there is undeniable.

The fact that he is the franchises only Norris Trophy Calibre Dman in our teams history, our Captain and a a minute monster are all huge.

I understand the significance of Bure to the team in the 90s, the electric game breaking talent, the highlight reels, everything. I am a huge fan of his so I understand.

But if I could take one player and have the entirety of their careers with the canucks I am going Hughes.

Hughes wants to be here. Hughes wants to be our leader. Hughes impacts more of each game he plays with the minutes he plays and elevates our entire team when he is on the ice.

He plays such an important role and position to me it is undeniable.

Hughes career with the Canucks is going to be legendary. When he is at the end of his career and we have a full body of work to compare I believe it will be clear cut. I can see right at this moment though why there is lots of room for debate though for sure.

On 8/25/2024 at 3:03 PM, R3aL said:

I mean the fact that there are differing opinions here says a lot.

Both are such impactful players that change the makeup of any team they are on.

I will go Hughes though.

The metrics of how good our team is on the ice with Hughes out there is undeniable.

The fact that he is the franchises only Norris Trophy Calibre Dman in our teams history, our Captain and a a minute monster are all huge.

I understand the significance of Bure to the team in the 90s, the electric game breaking talent, the highlight reels, everything. I am a huge fan of his so I understand.

But if I could take one player and have the entirety of their careers with the canucks I am going Hughes.

Hughes wants to be here. Hughes wants to be our leader. Hughes impacts more of each game he plays with the minutes he plays and elevates our entire team when he is on the ice.

He plays such an important role and position to me it is undeniable.

Hughes career with the Canucks is going to be legendary. When he is at the end of his career and we have a full body of work to compare I believe it will be clear cut. I can see right at this moment though why there is lots of room for debate though for sure.

Hughes isn't a minute muncher like Borque, Lidstrom, Pronger or even EK was at the same age (about the same now for that matter).   Plus a lot of others I won't bother mentioning.    He's unique like Bure was, that's the similarity.   

On 8/23/2024 at 1:47 PM, Pure961089 said:

Hughes.  Best all-round defenceman in the league.  Bure was more exciting no doubt but Hughes is a more important piece. 

lol best all around defenceman is a reach.. how can you be the best all around defenceman when you don’t even play pk or on the ice last min in a defensive zone draw up 1 or tied game? Best all around means offence and defence.. 

bure can score 5v5 power play and short handed.. his 24sh goals in 400ish games? That’s one Canucks record no one will ever come close to touching. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2024 at 9:53 PM, Guntrix said:

Bure may have been more of a game changer but I’d still take Hughes.

I don’t think people realize how rare it is to draft a bonafide #1 D with quarterback abilities, and also have the possibility of keeping him (barring disaster) for his entire career. At the rate he’s scoring, and considering he’s only 24, I don’t think any other Canucks defenseman will ever break the records he’s going to set for a very, very, long time.

The difference is, Bure would be a regular Hart/Richard  trophy guy in todays game, where as QHs would maybe have to consider becoming a winger to stick in the league back then.   It's the god honest truth.  I don't think he'd make it then based on the bubble and last years post season.   I hope he changes my mind though. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol best all around defenceman is a reach.. how can you be the best all around defenceman when you don’t even play pk or on the ice last min in a defensive zone draw up 1 or tied game? Best all around means offence and defence.. 

bure can score 5v5 power play and short handed.. his 24sh goals in 400ish games? That’s one Canucks record no one will ever come close to touching. 

Best all around defenseman Harvey, Orr, Park, Potvin, Robinson, Bourque, Chelios, Pronger.   I don't even include Lidstrom because he couldn't hit, let alone fight.  And would rather include Coffey at least he could do both.   Yes you are correct, 1st PP and 1st PK unit or "all-round" isn't part of the picture.   Last guys to do that?   Not sure if Hedman does first unit PK.   For sure Weber did though.   Maybe Doughty too.   Ohlund did  for us.  Same with Lumme.  

Again QH's is unique and his career is really just getting going.   So let's wait and see how it goes, before picking the best player we've ever had and comparing. 

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Best all around defenseman Harvey, Orr, Park, Potvin, Robinson, Bourque, Chelios, Pronger.   I don't even include Lidstrom because he couldn't hit, let alone fight.  And would rather include Coffey at least he could do both.   Yes you are correct, 1st PP and 1st PK unit or "all-round" isn't part of the picture.   Last guys to do that?   Not sure if Hedman does first unit PK.   For sure Weber did though.   Maybe Doughty too.   Ohlund did  for us.  Same with Lumme.  

Again QH's is unique and his career is really just getting going.   So let's wait and see how it goes, before picking the best player we've ever had and comparing. 

Makar plays pk1 with toews so he would be in the pp1 and pk1 all-round category 

• Cheers 1