Potential RD Waiver Claims?

NHLer

With waivers opening up today and our RD still up in the air, thought I'd start a thread flagging potential waiver claim ups to help shore up our RD.

Stealing the list below from the HF boards - presumably we can ignroe our old friends Rafferty and Fedun. Coghlan and Miromanov are on my wishlist. Any others? 

NAME TEAM AGE H W CAP GP G A +/- PIM XG(rel) NHLGP NOTES
Alec Regula BOS
6'4"
775k AHL: 51
+1

Nick DeSimone CGY
6'2"
762k AHL: 65
+28

4 NHL games last season
Dylan Coghlan CAR
6'2"
850k CAR: 17
+0.36

Marcus Björk CBJ
6'3"
775k CBJ: 33
+11
+0.10
AHL: 44GP; 7G 8A; -4; 18PIM
Brogan Rafferty DET
6'0"
775k x 2 AHL: 72
+28

Philip Kemp EDM
6'3"
775k x 2 AHL: 71
+12

Steven Santini LA
6'2"
800k AHL: 64
+8

4 NHL games last season
Gustav Lindström MTL
6'2"
950k DET: 36
Last AHL game in 2021
Johnathan Kovacevic MTL
6'4"
766k x 2 MTL: 77
+3
+0.30
Unlikely to be waived
Roland McKeown NSH
6'1"
762k AHL: 60
+9

6 NHL games last season
Grant Hutton NYI
6'3"
775k x2 AHL: 39
+1

Ty Emberson NYR
6'1"
775k AHL: 69
+17

Taylor Fedun PIT
6'1"
762k AHL: 58

4 NHL games last season
Leon Gawanke SJ
6'1"
775k AHL: 68

Cale Fleury SEA
6'1"
800k x 2 SEA: 12
+1
+0.36

Brayden Pachal VGK
6'0"
775k x 2 AHL: 55
+5

10 NHL games last season
Daniil Miromanov VGK
6'4"
762k AHL: 31

14 NHL games last season
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, NHLer said:

With waivers opening up today and our RD still up in the air, thought I'd start a thread flagging potential waiver claim ups to help shore up our RD.

Stealing the list below from the HF boards - presumably we can ignroe our old friends Rafferty and Fedun. Coghlan and Miromanov are on my wishlist. Any others? 

NAME TEAM AGE H W CAP GP G A +/- PIM XG(rel) NHLGP NOTES
Alec Regula BOS
6'4"
775k AHL: 51
+1

Nick DeSimone CGY
6'2"
762k AHL: 65
+28

4 NHL games last season
Dylan Coghlan CAR
6'2"
850k CAR: 17
+0.36

Marcus Björk CBJ
6'3"
775k CBJ: 33
+11
+0.10
AHL: 44GP; 7G 8A; -4; 18PIM
Brogan Rafferty DET
6'0"
775k x 2 AHL: 72
+28

Philip Kemp EDM
6'3"
775k x 2 AHL: 71
+12

Steven Santini LA
6'2"
800k AHL: 64
+8

4 NHL games last season
Gustav Lindström MTL
6'2"
950k DET: 36
Last AHL game in 2021
Johnathan Kovacevic MTL
6'4"
766k x 2 MTL: 77
+3
+0.30
Unlikely to be waived
Roland McKeown NSH
6'1"
762k AHL: 60
+9

6 NHL games last season
Grant Hutton NYI
6'3"
775k x2 AHL: 39
+1

Ty Emberson NYR
6'1"
775k AHL: 69
+17

Taylor Fedun PIT
6'1"
762k AHL: 58

4 NHL games last season
Leon Gawanke SJ
6'1"
775k AHL: 68

Cale Fleury SEA
6'1"
800k x 2 SEA: 12
+1
+0.36

Brayden Pachal VGK
6'0"
775k x 2 AHL: 55
+5

10 NHL games last season
Daniil Miromanov VGK
6'4"
762k AHL: 31

14 NHL games last season

None of those guys will move the needle for us. The Canucks already have enough bottom 6 defenders and already have a #4 defenseman in Soucy, and #5 calibre defensemen in Cole (and perhaps Hirose).  They also have a #2 in Hronek, but Hronek isn't a stylistic fit with Hughes and so Hronek needs to be playing with Cole or Soucy (ideally Soucy, to which Cole would move to the 3rd pairing).

What the Canucks really and truly need is another top pairing RD to play alongside Quinn Hughes.  Soucy is a good defenseman but he's a #4 calibre guy.  

None of those waiver wire pick up would help us in any way. 

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jeremy Hronek said:

None of those guys will move the needle for us. The Canucks already have enough bottom 6 defenders and already have a #4 defenseman in Soucy, and #5 calibre defensemen in Cole (and perhaps Hirose).  They also have a #2 in Hronek, but Hronek isn't a stylistic fit with Soucy and so Hronek needs to be playing with Cole or Soucy (ideally Soucy, to which Cole would move to the 3rd pairing).

What the Canucks really and truly need is another top pairing RD to play alongside Quinn Hughes.  Soucy is a good defenseman but he's a #4 calibre guy.  

For sure. But top pairing RD are hard to get, especially since they missed out on Severson. I think the hope would be to find a diamond in the rough a la Luke Schenn but younger and have Hughes carry. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, NHLer said:

For sure. But top pairing RD are hard to get, especially since they missed out on Severson. I think the hope would be to find a diamond in the rough a la Luke Schenn but younger and have Hughes carry. 

I hear ya.

My biggest frustration in how we've handled Hughes for the past three seasons, is that we've had this mindset of allowing Hughes to carry mediocre defensemen so that we can artificially create depth for our other pairings. Can Hughes carry weaker d-men?  Of course he can.  But instead of doing that, why not try and acquire the "Brent Seabrook to Quinn Hughes' Duncan Keith?"   Now to your point, the answer to that question is because, "Top pairing RD are difficult, if not impossible, to get."  You are absolutely correct.  There is one guy that I have mind however. Seth Jones.  Yes, Jones is significantly overpaid, but his contract, in theory, should allow for his value to be lowered enough to the point where he could be realistically had.   While Jones has struggled at times in Chicago, he actually had pretty good underlying numbers last year when the Hawks finally moved him away from Jack Johnson.

Maybe Myers, Hoglander, and a 1st?  

• Confused 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I'd take a look at Bjork. He's on a league minimum salary. Solid body, throws his weight around a bit, and is apparently calm and collected on the ice.

He's not young, at 25, and has played mostly in the SHL.

But he has a solid two-way game, and a bit of a scoring touch, and would just further improve our depth.

More size is always nice.

• Upvote 4

I stand corrected and am also on the Marcus Bjork bandwagon now (read some replies in this thread + did a little bit of research on the guy).   

Still  - the idea of a Myers, Boeser, and Willander deal for a guy like Seth Jones does hold a lot of appeal to me (assuming that a deal like that would be considered fair and of course assuming that Jones would waive his NTC/NMC).  

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I stand corrected and am also on the Marcus Bjork bandwagon now (read some replies in this thread + did a little bit of research on the guy).   

Still  - the idea of a Myers, Boeser, and Willander deal for a guy like Seth Jones does hold a lot of appeal to me (assuming that a deal like that would be considered fair and of course assuming that Jones would waive his NTC/NMC).  

Six years of an $8m D-man for our first and some cap dumps.

Sure, what's the worst that could happen?

Spoiler

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

Edited by Biff Tannen
Oh my, Seth Jones is actually on $9.5m and has 7 years left. Not sure why I had 8 in my head, but all the more reason to not go near him.
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I hear ya.

My biggest frustration in how we've handled Hughes for the past three seasons, is that we've had this mindset of allowing Hughes to carry mediocre defensemen so that we can artificially create depth for our other pairings. Can Hughes carry weaker d-men?  Of course he can.  But instead of doing that, why not try and acquire the "Brent Seabrook to Quinn Hughes' Duncan Keith?"   Now to your point, the answer to that question is because, "Top pairing RD are difficult, if not impossible, to get."  You are absolutely correct.  There is one guy that I have mind however. Seth Jones.  Yes, Jones is significantly overpaid, but his contract, in theory, should allow for his value to be lowered enough to the point where he could be realistically had.   While Jones has struggled at times in Chicago, he actually had pretty good underlying numbers last year when the Hawks finally moved him away from Jack Johnson.

Maybe Myers, Hoglander, and a 1st?  

Jones is an absolute tire fire in his own zone and adds character issues into the mix.  Wouldn't take that pylon on waivers, let alone trade something of value for him.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

This sounds like the OEL deal all over again.  Benning is no longer in charge of us.  We don't have cap space to add a $9.5 million Dman for the next 7 years.  Myers is off the books next year so we can replace him with somebody cheap, maybe Bjork.  Willander will be a cheap ELC contract for 3 years which is what we need.  Same with Lekkerimaki who will probably replace Boeser at some point.  And then D-Petey as well.  We will need these cheap ELC contracts to offset the OEL dead money as well as Petey's new deal.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

how many of our borderline players need to clear wavers to be sent to abby?

imo, we need at least one more tough board battling wingers. one for petey's line and a healthy mikheyev to off set miller and boeser's lack of speed and defensive play. our defense should be okay as is. sign bear and go with mcward until he's healthy.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

how many of our borderline players need to clear wavers to be sent to abby?

imo, we need at least one more tough board battling wingers. one for petey's line and a healthy mikheyev to off set miller and boeser's lack of speed and defensive play. our defense should be okay as is. sign bear and go with mcward until he's healthy.

Most of them - Hogs, Briesbois, Dries, Studnicka, Joshua, Irwin, Rathbone, Woo, Juulsen.

McWard, Podz, Aman, Raty, and Hirose could all be sent down without risk.

Though your definition of borderline players may be different to mine. https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

None of those guys will move the needle for us. The Canucks already have enough bottom 6 defenders and already have a #4 defenseman in Soucy, and #5 calibre defensemen in Cole (and perhaps Hirose).  They also have a #2 in Hronek, but Hronek isn't a stylistic fit with Hughes and so Hronek needs to be playing with Cole or Soucy (ideally Soucy, to which Cole would move to the 3rd pairing).

We have a number 2.   RT has said he prefers guys playing their natural side ... So Soucy and Cole.   One will have to play their off side.    Or left side is set this year as is our right, IF they can find a 4/5 who can play the right side.   Think Bear is who they have in mind, later on, when teams usually have a man down and are rotating 6-8's in and out of the lineup, and regulars move up for them.    

Agree the waiver wire is unlikely to move the needle much other than providing some security/depth.    

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This sounds like the OEL deal all over again.  Benning is no longer in charge of us.  We don't have cap space to add a $9.5 million Dman for the next 7 years.  Myers is off the books next year so we can replace him with somebody cheap, maybe Bjork.  Willander will be a cheap ELC contract for 3 years which is what we need.  Same with Lekkerimaki who will probably replace Boeser at some point.  And then D-Petey as well.  We will need these cheap ELC contracts to offset the OEL dead money as well as Petey's new deal.

Lol it's the exact same deal as the OEL deal. 

• ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Most of them - Hogs, Briesbois, Dries, Studnicka, Joshua, Irwin, Rathbone, Woo, Juulsen.

McWard, Podz, Aman, Raty, and Hirose could all be sent down without risk.

Though your definition of borderline players may be different to mine. https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Think both Hogs and Podz are sent down.   Studnicka stays up, so does Joshua and likely Irwin and one of Brisbois or Wolanin. 

QHs Soucy (one playing their off-side, never know maybe even QHs, he's that good). 

Cole Hronek 

Irwin Myers rotating with Brisbois is what I think we start with.    Means one guy plays his off-side.   We will miss Schenn.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Fuck no! What a garbage trade.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1