influencing

smithers joe

It wasn't one event, it was death from a thousand cuts (High School was a terrible experience for me).  Not actual death but the death of innocence.  I've tried to hang on to what I can because even though a lot of people live there, callous cynicism is no place that I want to live.  GCG!

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 3

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Working. I've collected a cheque of some kind since I was 14, it gave me confidence that I could always have a choice. 

I started at DQ at 13.

They hated me. I was pretty useless.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

What about you, joe?

for me it was baseball. i was origionally cut from my first organized baseball team. all my friends made the team but me.

as i walked away crying, the coach ran after me and said, your not a very good players, but you try so hard, i couldn't sleep nights if i didn't give you a chance. through my playing and coaching life, that act of kindnes and blind faith, helped me, become who i am today. not sure what that is but i'm so grateful for that chance. i've given other boys, that same chance.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Aside from the easy answer of my dad splitting and changing the course of my life?

Being a part of a whl organization where there were obvious things going on and seeing vulnerable teammates being taken advantage of because hockey was their only option and the predators knew it and took advantage of it.

Within 5 years I was working with kids and never looked back.........here I am 30 years later and I know I've had a very positive influence in the lives of many, many kids over that time

i'm assuming your real name isn't connie madigan?

58 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I remember spending time pulling weeds from the sidewalks out front, then ammonia scrubbing the walls....in the blazing sun...

The manager was trying to break me but he couldnt.

The only reason I had the job was that he was hot for one of my older sisters. She made him give me the job...then never dated him.🙂

It's interesting to see the similarities in early experience, my first gig was pulling weeds. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

Doing 40 hits of LSD in a week at 15. Was an A student before. After not so much. Had no interest in what they were teaching. 

Wow.

But I bet you developed the ability to smell colours and see sound.

7 hours ago, smithers joe said:

for me it was baseball. i was origionally cut from my first organized baseball team. all my friends made the team but me.

as i walked away crying, the coach ran after me and said, your not a very good players, but you try so hard, i couldn't sleep nights if i didn't give you a chance. through my playing and coaching life, that act of kindnes and blind faith, helped me, become who i am today. not sure what that is but i'm so grateful for that chance. i've given other boys, that same chance.

My oldest, dearest friend coached the local junior footy teams for over 10 years.

There were kids who had heaps of talent but didn't show up for training regularly.

There were kids who didn't have a lot of talent however they showed up rain, in the cold, no matter what and gave it their all.

He would always give those kids a game on game day. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Wow.

But I bet you developed the ability to smell colours and see sound.

I always could I just became aware of it. 
Woke they say these days. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ilunga said:

My oldest, dearest friend coached the local junior footy teams for over 10 years.

There were kids who had heaps of talent but didn't show up for training regularly.

There were kids who didn't have a lot of talent however they showed up rain, in the cold, no matter what and gave it their all.

He would always give those kids a game on game day. 

this sounds like a good topic for another day..

• Like 1

I've done everything I can to be NOTHING like my father. He constantly broke promises to me while I was growing up. He lied to me on a constant. So I took that, and I refuse to make any promise if I can't keep it. I don't lie to people because of it. I've always wanted to do better than he did.

• Like 1
  • MillerTime 1